As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

i'm not even sure what a [movie] is

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    has john leguizamo ever once given a shit?

I posit that he has not

I think he does a genuinely good job in The Happening.

DON’T YOU TAKE MY DAUGHTER’s HAND UNLESS YOU MEAN IT

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Oh god I'd say quite the opposite, John Leguizamo gives 1000% in any role, he gives it to a detrimental extent, he gave it in The Happening, he ate real bugs for Spawn real wriggling bugs fuckin DiCaprio got an oscar for biting a dead fish wheres Leguizamos oscar?? You fucks wheres Clowns oscar?!!

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Leguizamo was quite good in Chef and it's a pretty restrained role also.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Read some more of the Godzilla vs Kong novelization and, uh, Bernie (the conspiracy theory guy) has officially moved up in my opinion from "forgettable comic relief" to "the most interesting human character in the Monsterverse".
    In the movie, all we find out about Bernie is that his wife died at some point, he runs a conspiracy theory podcast, and he's been undercover at APEX.

The novelization reveals A LOT of backstory to this guy:
    • Bernie's wife Sara worked for Apex even before Godzilla and the MUTOs attacked San Francisco. Following the attack she began to talk about the monsters at home often, which Bernie found a bit curious.
    • Later, Sara suddenly quit her job, leading to tensions that caused the couple to take a break. Just as things were looking up she was involved in a car accident and died at the hospital.
    • Weeks later, Bernie discovered a note Sara had hidden at home that read "Godzilla>Apex>Monarch Contract>shipping manifest>component for bomb." The next day he applied for a position to Apex.
    • Bernie started the Titan Truth Podcast under the pseudonym Mad Truth. He also came to believe that Apex agents had caused the car "accident" that killed Sara.
    • After the events of KotM, a number of disgruntled Monarch employees approached Bernie to share what they know about a connection between Apex and Monarch that has since been buried.
    • The "bomb" Sara had found out about was none other than the Oxygen Destroyer that was used in Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Apex had been informed of the other Titans by Monarch and was commissioned to create a weapon to kill them (presumably while most of them were still in containment).

I've just gotten to the part where Godzilla arrives in Pensacola, but as of now I suspect that Bernie's more outlandish claims and behaviors are all an act to make him seem less competent than he is. He knows Monarch was connected to Apex and believes Apex killed his wife after she discovered the company had been contracted by Monarch to create a weapon against the Titans, so even when he introduces himself to Mark Russell at the end of the movie he could have bigger ambitions than just getting Mark on his podcast. He might be looking for an in to Monarch to go undercover within it just as he did Apex.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    John leguizamo even tried really hard in super mario bros

I have never doubted his dedication ever

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    John Leguizamo does a great job with his 8 lines or whatever in John Wick, too.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I appreciated John Leguizamo as Toulouse-Lautrec in Moulin Rouge

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Leguizamo is one of my favorite parts of Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I have never cared for even a single Baz Luhrmann movie. I don't think I've been able to stand even one complete scene of any Baz Luhrmann movie.

The man's work and I just plum don't get along

• Options
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/everyone-just-knows-hes-an-absolute-monster-scott-rudins-ex-staffers-speak-out-on-abusive-behavior
    Even as other Hollywood bullies are being sidelined, the uber-producer behind 'The Social Network' and Broadway’s 'To  Kill a Mockingbird' has been given a pass for his volcanic temper. Now, former employees open up about a boss who left many traumatized: "It was a new level of unhinged."
    For some four decades, Rudin's abusive behavior has been chronicled — even celebrated — by the press. In a 2010 profile, this publication dubbed him "The Most Feared Man in Town" and called him "dazzlingly charming" one paragraph after describing acts of cruelty and intimidation. In a 2005 Wall Street Journal profile with the headline "Boss-zilla!," Rudin himself pegged the number of assistants he burned through in the previous five years at 119.

When this broke, various work friends were all like, "Oh, that's finally going public, everyone's known for years."

And I get why people don't say things publicly (especially in cases like this one where the figure is notoriously, openly retaliatory), but it's still frustrating to realize, "Oh, nobody ever said this shit to me, and I could have easily ended up working with him someday without ever knowing until it was too late." Because I'm newer to being on the other side of the gate, because I didn't grow up in/around the industry bubble, I was never privy to the "common knowledge" of his abuses. And that sucks, and that's part of how people get away with shit for so long.

(But again, I get why people are afraid to speak out, and the real problem is, as always, the abuser. Shit's all just complicated)

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    I have never cared for even a single Baz Luhrmann movie. I don't think I've been able to stand even one complete scene of any Baz Luhrmann movie.

not even the sunscreen video; his best movie???

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Luhrmann's R+J makes me so angry that I've refused to watch any of his other movies on principle

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Luhrmann's R+J makes me so angry that I've refused to watch any of his other movies on principle

Wherefore?

• Options

not even the sunscreen video; his best movie???

I don't need my songs to be life coaching

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    It's roughly as good an understanding of the text as Romeo & Juliet: Sealed with a Kiss

7heoi5pn8a9e.jpg

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    The worst thing about Romeo + Juliet is that schools started showing it instead of the Zeffirelli version and deprived kids from seeing titties in class.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    What the fuck is that thing in the top left supposed to be

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    A Great Catch,
    Reel Yours in Today!

Please do not use hooked lines to catch seals

Alternative remark, I am willing to assume whoever made that thinks seals are fish

Hobnail on

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    The worst thing about Romeo + Juliet is that schools started showing it instead of the Zeffirelli version and deprived kids from seeing titties in class.

She was 16 in that

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Leguizamo was also great in John Wick

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    What the fuck is that thing in the top left supposed to be

I think that was the otter who secret married the seals

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    It is me

I like Romeo + Juliet and Baz Luhrmann movies.

• Options
    Sealed with a Kiss (a truly terrible movie, let me be clear) was the bizarre one man passion project of Phil Nibbelink, who was a Disney animator of some acclaim before he went off and started doing his own thing

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    R+j is very stupid and rules because of it

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    You guys are talking about Romeo + Juliet??? Cool, I'm always happy for a reason to post this actual clip and obvious homage to the movie from a Japanese show together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOjuzvLcsos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RprSeqWwUM

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    The swords being brand names for guns is the only thing I remember about that movie. It’s also a good thing, so I’ll try to let that stay my only memory.

GIVE ME MY LONGSWORD!

• Options
    That is a fucking busted otter a medieval illustrator scribe would look at that otter and say "This otter is fucking busted what the fuck"

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    astrobstrd wrote: »

She was 16 in that

Which means the teachers (and producers) are gross, not the kids. Also, I was mostly being facetious even if 16 year old pre-internet me appreciated it.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    The sword thing being memorable is funny to me because it's what like every modern stage production of Shakespeare does

I think it's well done in the movie with the close ups and brand names and what have you, but it's also something that I would barely even notice in a production

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I mentioned this over in the D&D movie thread but wanted to bring the movie The Empty Man to people's attention. If you watch the trailer you're going to get the sense that it's some stupid Candyman/Bye Bye Man kind of ripoff. It is not.

People really need to check this thing out. It was the last film slated by Fox to be released prior to being purchased by Disney so it got essentially no marketing budget nor even much of a prospect to end up on video.

It clocks in a little long at around 2:15 long but really ends up going some places. Definitely recommend people check it out.

It also has a scene where the main character (James Badge Dale) has the most realistic (and hilarious) response to something super freaky happening to him.

Misleading trailer for convenience:

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I found the Internet Movie Firearms Database article about Romeo + Juliet particularly interesting in the ways they customized the guns in that movie

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Romeo_+_Juliet

• Options
    I mentioned this over in the D&D movie thread but wanted to bring the movie The Empty Man to people's attention. If you watch the trailer you're going to get the sense that it's some stupid Candyman/Bye Bye Man kind of ripoff.

Oh hell yeah count me in.
    It is not.

Damn.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    All major Sony films released next year will be Netflix-exclusive after their theater run

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Oh man I can't wait until that means Netflix will only work on the PS5, thoroughly cementing their vertical integration reverse naked choke on households worldwide.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    It's roughly as good an understanding of the text as Romeo & Juliet: Sealed with a Kiss

7heoi5pn8a9e.jpg

I would be interested in reading something more in-depth on this, if you have the time!

• Options
    also I love John Leguizamo generally and his Tybalt specifically

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I do not find any Lurhmann film enticing but I enjoy Romeo + Juliet

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    his Gatsby adaptation is the only one that has any understanding of what makes that book worthwhile, imo

• Options
    Okay every time you blockheads say Lurhmann I get this song stuck in my head so now you can share in my pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9G9o4yNjwo

• Options
    I bet that song was hard to sing without laughing

the wife and I watched all of 30 rock again recently. it generally holds up but there are a few times here and there when it isn't as in on the joke as it thinks it is. and of course, Tina Fey is an asshole, and that shows through sometimes.

This discussion has been closed.