As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

i'm not even sure what a [movie] is

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    30 Rock is a fun sitcom that is peppered with some intensely problematic scenes/elements within it.

Its also a show that occasionally reveals Tina Fey's hatred of sex (and thus sex workers or any kink-community).

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I mentioned this over in the D&D movie thread but wanted to bring the movie The Empty Man to people's attention. If you watch the trailer you're going to get the sense that it's some stupid Candyman/Bye Bye Man kind of ripoff.

Oh hell yeah count me in.
    It is not.

Damn.

It still does the Candyman thing! It just sprinkles in a healthy amount of existential dread. It reminded me a bit of "The Void".

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    30 Rock is a fun sitcom that is peppered with some intensely problematic scenes/elements within it.

Its also a show that occasionally reveals Tina Fey's hatred of sex (and thus sex workers or any kink-community).

It has Kenneth Parcell in it, though, which goes a long way. It doesn't forgive all of its wrongs, at all, but Jack MacBrayer is great in everything I've seen him in.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I hate jack mcbreyer

he has the dumbest fucking face and I want to choke him

this is why the only things I've liked him in are 30 rock and forgetting sarah marshall

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    All major Sony films released next year will be Netflix-exclusive after their theater run

I bet the pricetag on that deal was ASTRONOMICAL, good lord.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021

it says a lot that the two people on the show who come closest to being sex-positive are also the two worst people on it

e: or, I should say, the show itself definitely thinks that Tracy and Jenna are the two worst people on it

Shorty on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    It's roughly as good an understanding of the text as Romeo & Juliet: Sealed with a Kiss

7heoi5pn8a9e.jpg

I would be interested in reading something more in-depth on this, if you have the time!

This might not be the most accurate, because I haven't seen the movie in at least a decade, but sure, here goes:

My issue is heavily focused around the character of Mercutio (although I think it broadens out to other aspects of the show). He's the character I played when I was in the show, and I've spent a lot of time reading into his character as a result. He is, from the beginning, described as a friend to both the Capulets and the Montagues - he doesn't have a true allegiance, and is of the Prince's family, defining his neutrality in the conflict. He is friends with Romeo and Benvolio quite a bit on stage, and he might not necessarily be well liked by all of the Capulets, but he still gets invited to their parties, of course.

So in Act III Scene i, when he gets into a fight with Tybalt, it is not necessarily a duel to the death. Tybalt's a real son of a bitch, so maybe it would be regardless, but Mercutio's tone in arguing with him and his retorts during the fight are still playful. What makes it a duel to the death is Romeo. Mercutio has a specific line "Why the devil came you between us? I was hurt under your arm." that should serve to direct the action - Romeo came in and took a playful fight, what may have been to the touch, and in trying to stop the duelists, caused a fatal accident. That's why it's a plague on both houses, because both are equally responsible in Mercutio's eyes.

The movie doesn't really do this. Mercutio feels much more decidedly aligned with the Montagues, and his death serves only as another body count in the Montague vs. Capulet conflict, as opposed to being that of a neutral party. One of the neat things I like about the play is that two people die from each involved house - Juliet & Tybalt, Romeo & Romeo's Mom (offstage), and Mercutio & Paris. It's always felt very intentional to me, and making Mercutio more or less an honorary Montague feels like it throws everything off.

I also just don't particularly like the movie for normal movie liking reasons, and have been spoiled with quality stage versions of Shakespeare which definitely make some of its novelty less than novel for me. The script is cut to ribbons and I don't think that what was retained really lines up with the play that I actually like quite a bit.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    The sword thing being memorable is funny to me because it's what like every modern stage production of Shakespeare does

I think it's well done in the movie with the close ups and brand names and what have you, but it's also something that I would barely even notice in a production

I saw a production of Romeo and Juliet with a female Mercutio and boy howdy does the teasing of Romeo about being mopey have a lot more sexual energy in it.

I came away convinced that Mercutio is gay and in love with Romeo, who is either bisexual or at least open minded.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    The sword thing being memorable is funny to me because it's what like every modern stage production of Shakespeare does

I think it's well done in the movie with the close ups and brand names and what have you, but it's also something that I would barely even notice in a production

I saw a production of Romeo and Juliet with a female Mercutio and boy howdy does the teasing of Romeo about being mopey have a lot more sexual energy in it.

I came away convinced that Mercutio is gay and in love with Romeo, who is either bisexual or at least open minded.

Oh Mercutio is absolutely gay and in love with Romeo, yes.

boy I sure do hope that Prince of Cats adaptation is still happening

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    All major Sony films released next year will be Netflix-exclusive after their theater run

I hope not, the bulk of Sony's output is garbage. You're paying for like 1 or 2 quality films for as many years.

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Romeo#juliet is absolutely terrible but a very sundance movie that I am glad to have experienced.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

I’m guessing at least 50 bucks

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    The good thing about the Sony Netflix deal is no Sony+.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Surprised they didn't try and get DIsney to pay them for the Sony marvel films.

I’m guessing at least 50 bucks

In this economy?!

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    My favorite Leguizamo role is when he plays a zombie Luigi that gets revenge on King Koopa in Land of the Dead.

Nothing. Matters.
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    has john leguizamo ever once given a shit?

I posit that he has not

I think he does a genuinely good job in The Happening.

He is excellent in Chef, and extremely genuine.

Edit: gratified to see the internet leaping to John Leguizamo’s very justified defense.

sarukun on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Let me be clear. Leguizamo rules. He just does not give a fuck

I haven't worked with Leguizamo, or with anybody who has, so this is purely conjecture

But he strikes me as a performer in the vein of Nic Cage, who will go as insanely hard and big as you let him get away with, but can be modulated down with the right director

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

it says a lot that the two people on the show who come closest to being sex-positive are also the two worst people on it

e: or, I should say, the show itself definitely thinks that Tracy and Jenna are the two worst people on it

Didn't it turn out that Tracy never once cheated on his wife and his whole thing about him being promiscuous was just for his "bad boy" image?

I haven't worked with Leguizamo, or with anybody who has, so this is purely conjecture

But he strikes me as a performer in the vein of Nic Cage, who will go as insanely hard and big as you let him get away with, but can be modulated down with the right director

Nic Cage can be modulated down with the right director?

edited April 2021

Didn't it turn out that Tracy never once cheated on his wife and his whole thing about him being promiscuous was just for his "bad boy" image?

yes but he and Angie still have an extremely active and fulfilling sex life

I'd very much argue that's what makes him one of the most sex-positive characters, not the other stuff

Shorty on
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Nic Cage can be modulated down with the right director?

Adaptation was very good, yes

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Raising Arizona is the best “good” Cage.

Keep in mind I love when he goes full Cage though

edited April 2021
    yeah the trick is to get him to simmer down while also maintaining his give-a-damn

it's easy to get him to show up to work, because he needs the money, but getting him to do a nuanced performance is really tough, apparently

of course, I like it when he goes as loud and insane as possible, I think it's riveting

Shorty on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Raising Arizona is pretty far up the Cage dial, honestly. There is a whole lotta Cagin' goin' on in Raising Arizona.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    I know I've seen Leaving Las Vegas, but I don't remember much about it. I think that's the only really "serious" role I've seen him in, and I think he won an Oscar for it (not that that actually means fuck-all). I think maybe I just prefer less serious bullshit movies, in general.

I thought he was pretty low-key, in a good way, in Bringing Out the Dead, though it's not a great movie, overall

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Raising Arizona is pretty far up the Cage dial, honestly. There is a whole lotta Cagin' goin' on in Raising Arizona.

Yes but pretty much the whole cast meets his energy except when they are intentionally downplaying things for the comedic effect of the contrast.

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Leaving Las Vegas is amazing.

I think to going full Cage thing is blown out of proportion. I think he matches energy to the movies he's in, so if the movie is insane, he's gonna go wild. I think he gravitates towards weird and wild movies, but I don't think that when he goes nuts it doesn't make sense for the movies he's in.

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    the difference between a good director and a great director is how you modulate the film around what nic cage is bringing to the table; because he is always gonna take a big swing and you gonna have to build around it.

he isn't alone in this, mind. his bag of tricks is just more varied and unpredictable.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    if you're a bad director, you make mandy

7656367.jpg
    the difference between a good director and a great director is how you modulate the film around what nic cage is bringing to the table; because he is always gonna take a big swing and you gonna have to build around it.

he isn't alone in this, mind. his bag of tricks is just more varied and unpredictable.

The old axiom about directing is that the number one job is handling "tone."

And when you bring Cage into your flick, you better fuckin' know what tone you INTEND, and know how to fit Cage into it or shift your intended tone accordingly

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    criminal lack of Moonstruck representation itt

YaYa wrote: »
    criminal lack of Moonstruck representation itt

Is it a great performance?

Yes.

Does it all belong in a conversation about Cage being reined in?

Goodness no

Simon West must be a hell of a director then.

Con Air was a movie just set up for full blast, out of control Cage and instead you get quiet, dangerous Cage.

Hmmm...looking at Simon West’s other movies and I feel comfortable saying that he is not “a hell of a director”

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Hmmm...looking at Simon West’s other movies and I feel comfortable saying that he is not “a hell of a director”

Would that not still be technically applicable if watching his films was a kind of hell?

DarkPrimus on
    I think rein it in might not be the ideal phrasing, because I don't really think Cage is 100% out of control 100% of the time

I would guess that he's an actor who comes to the set with a fully formed interpretation of the character he wants to play, and you need to either direct the hell out of him to get something else or work around what he's doing and make it fit with the rest of the movie

This discussion has been closed.