As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The FORBIDDEN DOOR has opened in the [wrestling] thread

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Thank you Hangman for stopping that.

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Best friends becoming a face faction is something I am super down with.

• CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Best friends becoming a face faction is something I am super down with.

They just have to bring in The Captain Shawn Dean now.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    This is a face promo?

xderwsaxganu.png
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    May 5

Inner Circle vs Pinnacle

BLOOD AND GUTS

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    nah I'm good

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    That promo had potential until he mixed up the joke about wardlow

So Sting and Darby are in with Dark Order now?

xderwsaxganu.png
    So Sting and Darby are in with Dark Order now?

No, the dark order are also feuding with Hardy.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    JD vs Darby and Bunny vs Tay were both WAY better matches than I ever expected.

This has been a very good episode.

• hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Pretty sure No Peace Underground is just the new Blackcraft, which is a development I'm very much in favor of.

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Meanwhile on NXT every one of these matches is main event caliber. It reminds me of the glory days of 2016.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    No Peace is my favorite indy right now. Its one of the few that feels different from everything else.

A pissed off young bucks and Moxley make a pretty fun trio.

Magell wrote: »
    No Peace is my favorite indy right now. Its one of the few that feels different from everything else.

I've caught a couple UGWA streams and they're pretty cool as well. They have a wrestling skeleton which is always a positive.

If this means the six mans will be Kenny and the Young Bucks against people I'm all for it.

• ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Pretty sure No Peace Underground is just the new Blackcraft, which is a development I'm very much in favor of.

Su Yung showed up with minions and spit blood in the face of G-Raver!

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Excalibur mentioning "happy beers" after the opening match sure is yet another hint toward AEW VS The World for the Sony Playstation.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    out of everything that happened in that show im mostly looking forward to best friends vs. triangle and wondering who kris statlander will get to showdown against...

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

@JohnCena Hi!Mr.Cena.
    I am Miyako Matsumoto.
    Professional wrestler in Japan.
    #gkpw2021 CEO.
    I am looking for a male tag team partner for 5/1 ganpro mixed tag tournament.
    It's my dream to tag-team with you.
    You are awesome!! #ガンプロ

Come on John, you know what to do

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    WWE announced Wale will be playing Big E to the ring during Wrestlemania.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    WWE inducted Ethel Johnson (widely considered the first black women's wrestler) into the Hall of Fame

They did it without acknowledging her family or asking for permission, and they aired footage of a wrestler who wasn't her

The first of IWTV's Showcase shows was a nice little hodgepodge of matches from different promotions. Nothing exciting, but pretty much what you'd expect.

Lee Moriarty vs Edith Surreal was a good match with a clever finish, and YUTA continues to be a total dick.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    WWE inducted Ethel Johnson (widely considered the first black women's wrestler) into the Hall of Fame

They did it without acknowledging her family or asking for permission, and they aired footage of a wrestler who wasn't her

That is the least-surprising surprising thing I've read in a while.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Watching NXT, I'm immediately into this Dexter Lumis character. Not at all surprised he was the crazy guy from TNA. Didn't he throw someone in front of a train or something there?

uyvfOQy.png
    edited April 2021
    The first of IWTV's Showcase shows was a nice little hodgepodge of matches from different promotions. Nothing exciting, but pretty much what you'd expect.

Lee Moriarty vs Edith Surreal was a good match with a clever finish, and YUTA continues to be a total dick.

Damn pandemic. I want to be in tampa watching wrestling in a brewery.

Magell on

Still salty that my planned wrestling/beer vacation was cancelled last year.

• SproutSprout Registered User regular

There does seem to have been a "oh my God, nobody's buying tickets to these shows" realization that hit the indie space over the last week or so. So much of the international talent that were draws for these shows can't make it, which is exposing a lot of the talent drain that's hit the independent space of the last couple of years with AEW and WWE snapping so many people up. And there's what's probably the bigger reason: WrestleMania is still the big mover of people to the area that weekend. With Mania only selling 25k tickets, and those tickets only going on sale 3 weeks before the show, you aren't getting that critical mass of die-hard wrestling fans coming in from out-of-state to attend these shows.

The lack of international talent is absolutely an issue. I say that fully admitting that the two biggest reasons I was planning to go in 2020 were for the FREEDOMS and Tokyo Joshi Pro shows.

Regarding the companies and shows themselves, I don't know if it's so much of a talent drain, rather than an over-saturation of these same wrestlers and companies? Because there is lesser/virtually unknown talent out there in the US indie scene. That's obvious because we see AEW plucking folks who are super regional wrestlers that you'd only know if you happen to watch the handful of promotions they work across three states.

And yeah, the pandemic has put a ton of stress on how they can run shows and who they can book, but the big-name indie companies (GCW in particular) have just felt stagnant and repetitive the past year. Like, the 2020 Collective only happened six months ago. And then they did a scaled down version with the same concept/produce shows AGAIN in January with Fight Forever. Hell, tonight's Bloodsport will be the fourth one in six months. Very little of it feels special or exciting right now.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    GCW had numerous reasons beyond just the pandemic for why it feels stagnant, though that’s obviously a major reason. Gage’s major injury hurt them a lot and it’s a miracle he’s back even for this

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    It probably did not help that the pandemic caused a lot of smaller shows to not run, which meant that there were fewer opportunities for newer names to filter up the ladder. The bigger indies that were running seem to be sticking to talent that they know and were less likely to try new things out. And of course we haven't had a PWG show in over a year, and those tend to be the shows where the biggest "indie" names show up on to become nationally known.

Basically there probably is a talent drain, but an understandable one that should correct itself in a year as new talent gets discovered.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
    Sprout wrote: »

There does seem to have been a "oh my God, nobody's buying tickets to these shows" realization that hit the indie space over the last week or so. So much of the international talent that were draws for these shows can't make it, which is exposing a lot of the talent drain that's hit the independent space of the last couple of years with AEW and WWE snapping so many people up. And there's what's probably the bigger reason: WrestleMania is still the big mover of people to the area that weekend. With Mania only selling 25k tickets, and those tickets only going on sale 3 weeks before the show, you aren't getting that critical mass of die-hard wrestling fans coming in from out-of-state to attend these shows.

The bigger problem for the indie shows is they're all too similar. You have top two matches for each show that are good draws, but its all the same midcard shaken up a bit.

And not being able to split the cost on overseas talent is a huge factor as well.
    There are probably only 5 big draws on the indies right now with RSP, AJ Gray, Lee Motiarty, Effy, ACH, and maybe Allie Kat

I think the top indie guys also aren't getting the Japan trips and matches with more experienced guys they need to really polish up their wrestling style and help the younger indie guys.

GCW had numerous reasons beyond just the pandemic for why it feels stagnant, though that’s obviously a major reason. Gage’s major injury hurt them a lot and it’s a miracle he’s back even for this

Yeah, Nick's climb back to the title after Run Rickey Run was so easy to see but got totally derailed. At the same time, the 44OH vs GCW feud is the only story they've had running which doesn't help.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I'm honestly surprised how many indy promotions didn't go belly-up during the pandemic.

Twitch: Thawmus83
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I'm honestly surprised how many indy promotions didn't go belly-up during the pandemic.

I don't think they have any overhead when they're not actively running shows and promoters don't make a living off it.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

I don't think they have any overhead when they're not actively running shows and promoters don't make a living off it.

I guess I never thought about it that way, yeah, that makes sense.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
This discussion has been closed.