As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mystery Science Theater 3000] Season 13 done, Season 14 coming?

• Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    They are self funding season 13! It will go as long as they get money. Also their own streaming thing.

It's a good idea. Joel is trying to future proof this venture. I think he has the community and backing to do it. Here's to hoping they get the $5 million to have all the goodies.

It's off to a gangbusters start!

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    They are self funding season 13! It will go as long as they get money. Also their own streaming thing.

It's a good idea. Joel is trying to future proof this venture. I think he has the community and backing to do it. Here's to hoping they get the $5 million to have all the goodies.

It's off to a gangbusters start!

almost halfway there in less than 2 hours!

(to the original 2 million that is)

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Can we get a link to the Kickstart?

So we can all be ready for some football

No Kickstarter links in the forums, per the rules.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Oh nozzzzzz

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    It's pretty easy to find the link if you want it.

Fortunately it isn't as elusive as Robert Denby.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    They are just about halfway to their first tier of 3 episodes. Pretty good for only like two hours.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I pitched in for the year of access plus physical copies of the new season. I will never not throw money at more of my favorite show.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The streaming of old episodes part doesn’t really matter to me since I own every episode on physical media, including the “lost” episodes that will never get released due to licensing. I’m glad others will have access to it though.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    It disappoints me every time this show gets canceled.

But it pleases me so much every time it refuses to die.

I am so onboard for this after Netflix tanked the show essentially mid-season.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Kinda wish I had $25k sitting around. I always wanted to be an executive producer.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    My biggest pause on funding this is the fact they're either downplaying the costs involved with their streaming service spinup, under-estimating them, or straight up being coy here.

Their budget for the streaming service is 3% of their fundraising total. Now it's totally plausible Shout Factory is just going to handle it all for them, but under their new banner. They're not saying that here. If they are going to launch their own platform, it's going to cost a lot more than 3% of whatever they raise here. And if we have to sub to it anyways, I'd rather just sub to it than push money up front in that case. IDK.

Naphtali on
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    My biggest pause on funding this is the fact they're either downplaying the costs involved with their streaming service spinup, under-estimating them, or straight up being coy here.

Their budget for the streaming service is 3% of their fundraising total. Now it's totally plausible Shout Factory is just going to handle it all for them, but under their new banner. They're not saying that here. If they are going to launch their own platform, it's going to cost a lot more than 3% of whatever they raise here. And if we have to sub to it anyways, I'd rather just sub to it then push money up front in that case. IDK.

Yeah, I read the kickstarter and I spent most of it thinking, "I really don't need a new streaming site; is starting up your own service really the best use of funds here?", then saw it was only 3% of the budget, leading me to think, "Oh, well, that's not so bad, then.... waaaait... how are they booting up a streaming service for like $60k? I'd expect development costs alone to be more than that, to say nothing of hosting and ongoing tech support..."

If they don't have a deal already in place with some existing platform that seems real unlikely to work well. But if I back at least at the digital download tier I guess it doesn't really matter much if their streaming service sucks.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Honestly? I don’t even need a streaming service. I would be happy to kick them some money every year and they can just send me some DRM-free files.

It wouldn’t be great for the long-term longevity of the show, I don’t think, but I will personally be down to clown until I’m in the ground with MST3K.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Their budget for the streaming service is 3% of their fundraising total. Now it's totally plausible Shout Factory is just going to handle it all for them, but under their new banner. They're not saying that here. If they are going to launch their own platform, it's going to cost a lot more than 3% of whatever they raise here. And if we have to sub to it anyways, I'd rather just sub to it then push money up front in that case. IDK.

Yeah, I read the kickstarter and I spent most of it thinking, "I really don't need a new streaming site; is starting up your own service really the best use of funds here?", then saw it was only 3% of the budget, leading me to think, "Oh, well, that's not so bad, then.... waaaait... how are they booting up a streaming service for like $60k? I'd expect development costs alone to be more than that, to say nothing of hosting and ongoing tech support..."

If they don't have a deal already in place with some existing platform that seems real unlikely to work well. But if I back at least at the digital download tier I guess it doesn't really matter much if their streaming service sucks.

I would be pretty surprised if they don't already have something figured out. MST3K stuff is all over the freaking place. My TV, by itself, seems to have a channel just for streaming old MST3K. MST3K shows are scattered over multiple streaming services and channels. They've also been digital for a long time now and have people for all the site design, so they shouldn't have to find people for that so much as keep paying them to do what they already do. Streaming itself is pretty easy these days, so I would expect the bulk of the cost to actually be things like appropriate camera equipment and servers.

Heck, they basically already have most of this stuff in place, they would mostly just be duplicating a lot of it.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

I would be pretty surprised if they don't already have something figured out. MST3K stuff is all over the freaking place. My TV, by itself, seems to have a channel just for streaming old MST3K. MST3K shows are scattered over multiple streaming services and channels. They've also been digital for a long time now and have people for all the site design, so they shouldn't have to find people for that so much as keep paying them to do what they already do. Streaming itself is pretty easy these days, so I would expect the bulk of the cost to actually be things like appropriate camera equipment and servers.

Heck, they basically already have most of this stuff in place, they would mostly just be duplicating a lot of it.

The MyTV, Amazon, & Twitch stuff is all in place through Shout!Factory and their primary corporate owners. Given how close Joel worked with them in the first kickstarter (they were responsible for the DVDs and some of the other goodies) they could be playing a significant role this time around for that part.

However, the first kickstarter also included a streaming site for the new episodes that existed before the deal with Netflix was finalized. They have the basic infrastructure. That site could be upgraded with the new funds and probably to be made more robust/fail-safe.

ed:Words, how are they spelled?

Martini_Philosopher on
    All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    I'm just saying, they're explicitly not giving details in the KS about that and instead saying its a nebulous 3% cut of funds (which if they are starting from scratch, is nowhere near enough). I find that concerning and questionable given how transparent they could be about it and is enough of a risk I don't feel comfortable fronting them money.

• Options
    I'm just saying, they're explicitly not giving details in the KS about that and instead saying its a nebulous 3% cut of funds (which if they are starting from scratch, is nowhere near enough). I find that concerning and questionable given how transparent they could be about it and is enough of a risk I don't feel comfortable fronting them money.

I wouldn't sweat it. It's been up for something like one day and will probably hit the minimum goal by the end of today, so it's not like you personally not contributing money will keep this from happening. And the big reward is that the project happens at all, which everybody can get access to after it's done.

And honestly, you could try emailing them for more information, they might be able to clear up any questions you have. It's up to them to make a campaign where you feel like it's worth giving them money, it's not your job to justify spending the money.

Thus far, these guys have made it worth every dime I've sent their way so I'll happily contribute on history alone, but I'm also not sending anything like a risky amount of money. I'm very confident I will love the product, but it won't cripple me financially if it's a dud.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I ended up backing it, but I'm still a little confused about what they are doing. Like, are these live shows? Live premieres of pre-recorded episodes? I wasn't exactly sure (tho it sounded like *some* might be live shows?). I just want scripted episodes, so I hope it has that :P I trust them tho, last two seasons were great. Kinda hoping they don't change the cast again, I actually like this new cast quite a bit (and they only got to do two seasons).

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I ended up backing it, but I'm still a little confused about what they are doing. Like, are these live shows? Live premieres of pre-recorded episodes? I wasn't exactly sure (tho it sounded like *some* might be live shows?). I just want scripted episodes, so I hope it has that :P I trust them tho, last two seasons were great. Kinda hoping they don't change the cast again, I actually like this new cast quite a bit (and they only got to do two seasons).

They’re making another season (the number of episodes is up in the air until the end of the campaign) and a platform on which to view them. The platform itself will have live shows for subscribers (which have been included in tiers for donations) and various other extras.

If all you care about is new episodes, this has those. AV Club has confirmed the Netflix cast is all returning for those.

• Options

They’re making another season (the number of episodes is up in the air until the end of the campaign) and a platform on which to view them. The platform itself will have live shows for subscribers (which have been included in tiers for donations) and various other extras.

If all you care about is new episodes, this has those. AV Club has confirmed the Netflix cast is all returning for those.

Ok cool, that's kinda what I thought but the way it was worded I wasn't 100% sure :P (I actually still need to watch the damn trailer they put on the kickstarter.. I was at work so I just read it before backing :P)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    WE'VE GOT MOVIE SIGN!

• Options
    It’s funded! BACKERS WON THE SUPER BOWL

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I figured it was pretty much a guarantee it was gonna be funded based on where it was when I looked yesterday. What I'll be curious about is how many stretch goals they can hit. I think they'll hit the $3.3 million one easy, but after that I dunno (especially with COVID being a big factor in people's pocketbooks atm). I went back to check and the first kickstarter only hit $5.7 million and their highest goal here is $5.5 million for 12 episodes. So it'd have to be at least as successful as the last one to get a full season.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    now if you could all go back to your drinking

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    2 years from now: It was a fun ride and a groundbreaking experiment, but unfortunately the Gizmoplex is shutting down...

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options

I wouldn't sweat it. It's been up for something like one day and will probably hit the minimum goal by the end of today, so it's not like you personally not contributing money will keep this from happening. And the big reward is that the project happens at all, which everybody can get access to after it's done.

And honestly, you could try emailing them for more information, they might be able to clear up any questions you have. It's up to them to make a campaign where you feel like it's worth giving them money, it's not your job to justify spending the money.

Thus far, these guys have made it worth every dime I've sent their way so I'll happily contribute on history alone, but I'm also not sending anything like a risky amount of money. I'm very confident I will love the product, but it won't cripple me financially if it's a dud.

Oh, for sure they're not going to be wanting for cash, and I enjoyed the Netflix seasons. I'm just concerned under funding/planning for their streaming end may eat into their budget and we get less than what they're promising if they're really pie in the skying this, leading to a bunch of disappointed people and/or they end up having to saddle up with another outside funding source which may lead us eventually to another cancellation/crowdfunding cycle. Who knows!
    BANG!

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    2 years from now: It was a fun ride and a groundbreaking experiment, but unfortunately the Gizmoplex is shutting down...

It reminds of something Weird Al once said about his career and touring. "Every tour is a comeback tour."

• Options

I dunno, if the kickstarter goes well and their streaming service isn't an abject failure I think it's more likely they do another kickstarter in a year or two to fund another dozen films.
    Assuming Netflix or Disney or someone doesn't buy them out (again) in the meantime.

• Options
    $2.3m reached, only $1m more before we get to 6 episodes and Roku/iOS/Android/fireTV/etc. app

• Options
    $2.3m reached, only $1m more before we get to 6 episodes and Roku/iOS/Android/fireTV/etc. app

I think there's no way it doesn't hit that stretch goal. But I'll be real curious to see how good it can do beyond that. I didn't realize it took them way longer to hit $2 mil the first time around. That's probably a good sign.

• Options

I think there's no way it doesn't hit that stretch goal. But I'll be real curious to see how good it can do beyond that. I didn't realize it took them way longer to hit $2 mil the first time around. That's probably a good sign.

Hope so

I hope it hits all its goals because I want those shorts!

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular

I dunno, if the kickstarter goes well and their streaming service isn't an abject failure I think it's more likely they do another kickstarter in a year or two to fund another dozen films.
    Assuming Netflix or Disney or someone doesn't buy them out (again) in the meantime.

I think the real goal is to be able to fund more movies continuously based on ongoing subscriptions (getting away from dependence on other outlets and letting fans fund them directly), but that doesn’t preclude what you’re saying either.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    the streaming thing seems cool, but they really have to go all-in on it to really make it worth it. Especially like collecting the complete series in one place (none of this 'volume' business that netflix has). And hopefully lots of extras

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    the streaming thing seems cool, but they really have to go all-in on it to really make it worth it. Especially like collecting the complete series in one place (none of this 'volume' business that netflix has). And hopefully lots of extras

Is that even possible, what with the licensing and rights?

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Wow, I was looking at all the reward tiers just because I was curious what some of the crazy expensive ones where. Just noticed, the $100 tier (which is what I backed at) actually has the most backers (by like four times more than the next highest). That's kind of crazy to me. I would have expected it to be one of the lower tiers. I guess everyone really wanted the t-shirt, year subscription and digital episodes? :P Actually makes me wonder if a cheaper tier without any physical goods but like, just the digital episodes or something would be really successful (I'm assuming that's the main draw... I know that's the main reason I liked that tier... tho I liked my shirt from the last one too :3).

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Wow, I was looking at all the reward tiers just because I was curious what some of the crazy expensive ones where. Just noticed, the $100 tier (which is what I backed at) actually has the most backers (by like four times more than the next highest). That's kind of crazy to me. I would have expected it to be one of the lower tiers. I guess everyone really wanted the t-shirt, year subscription and digital episodes? :P

Exactly how the service and episodes work is kinda vague. Like if they get enough money for 12 episodes, are they going to roll out one a month? And I don't think they ever say what the non-kickstarter-backer subscription price is going to be. Picking the $100 tier, if you can afford it, seems like the safest option to not end up either missing out or having to pay more later.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Wow, I was looking at all the reward tiers just because I was curious what some of the crazy expensive ones where. Just noticed, the $100 tier (which is what I backed at) actually has the most backers (by like four times more than the next highest). That's kind of crazy to me. I would have expected it to be one of the lower tiers. I guess everyone really wanted the t-shirt, year subscription and digital episodes? :P

Exactly how the service and episodes work is kinda vague. Like if they get enough money for 12 episodes, are they going to roll out one a month? And I don't think they ever say what the non-kickstarter-backer subscription price is going to be. Picking the $100 tier, if you can afford it, seems like the safest option to not end up either missing out or having to pay more later.

That's absolutely something I'd really like them to clarify. I assume they'd do one a month, but like, what also happens if they *don't* get enough to do 12 episodes? It seems like they plan on supporting this *some* way going beyond the kickstarter, but they haven't really talked about that. (Like, what's the point in a streaming service if it's not producing new content after the first year?)

Edit: Oh side note I forgot to mention, I noticed a couple of the super expensive tiers actually sold out already. I'm real curious about the sponsor one because that sounds like it could be kinda fun to watch? Basically let the MST3k crew come up with a funny commercial for your product - assuming the sponsors don't have absolutely garbage products :P I'm also really wondering how that voice Waverly thing is gonna work plot-wise since they've got like 5 backers already... is it gonna be like a clone with a constantly changing voice?)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    They haven't said anything about the release schedule yet, other than they can put episodes out "when they're done". They don't want to do another "binge" season because the show isn't really set up that way, which I actually agree with. As sweet as it was to get 14 episodes at once, I'd rather have several surprises a year of "oh hey, a new MST3K! Let me call some friends and we can all watch together".

I assume they'll also have a bevy of classic episodes, anything they have the rights to, at any given time up on their service, since they've talked about adding the classic episodes you get as a reward to your account for downloading. And live shows wouldn't be much of a stretch goal if they weren't also uploaded to the service. Like, I appreciate they need to have a certain amount of funds to pay their writers/performers to do those, but I'm not traveling to see them more than one time. The live experience is pretty rad, and I'll definitely do it again given the chance, but I really wish I could re-watch the show later because there were so many moments I completely forgot about afterwards.

If they did one episode a month, and one short a month (assuming the project is entirely funded), I think that would be the sweet spot for me. Just keep a pipeline of MST3K going all year long.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Sweet, they released some Q&A stuff.. It honestly covers a lot of my questions:
    1. Are the main cast from Season 11-12 coming back?

Yes, I'm happy to report that ALL of our main cast members from our last two seasons have agreed to come back for another round! So, Jonah will be hosting again, and Baron and Hampton will be back to reprise Tom and Crow. Rebecca will be back as Synthia and GPC, and of course, Felicia and Patton will return as our brilliant Mads, Kinga Forrester and Max.

And, since I've seen a lot of you asking, I'll also tell you that we've also got some big plans to expand the world – and cast – of Mystery Science Theater 3000, so... I'll tell you more about that soon.

2. I want to own all the new episodes. How do I do that?

Yeah, I'm sorry this wasn't clearer right away. Let me explain. If you want to own the new episodes, the options for that are pretty much the same as our original Kickstarter:

At EXPERIMENT 100 and up, your rewards will include DIGITAL DOWNLOADS for all of Season 13, which you'll be able to access starting right after our "live premiere screenings" in The Gizmoplex.

At EXPERIMENT 250 and up, your rewards also include a COLLECTOR'S BOX SET for all of Season 13, and you'll be able to choose between DVD and Blu-Ray. You can also get the Box Set for $70 as an "Add On Reward" with any pledge level. Once you choose a pledge level, you'll get a menu of Add-On Rewards, and can choose "Collector's Box Set" there to add it to your pledge.

3. I just want to see the new episodes. How do I do that?

If you don't care about owning all of the new episodes we make, but still want to see each one as it comes out, the Gizmoplex Pass will be your new best friend. We'll still need to work through some technical details after the Kickstarter ends, but I'll tell you how we're hoping to make it work.

Once we have our first new episode finished, we're planning to start holding live episode premiere events in The Gizmoplex once a month, until we've shared all of the new episodes the Kickstarter lets us make.

Each month of Gizmoplex Pass access gets you a ticket for another episode premiere, until we've premiered all of our new episodes (and, if things go well, our new shorts).

So yeah, just to spell it all out for you...
    • A 3 MONTH PASS gets you tickets to the first THREE live premieres.
    • A 6 MONTH PASS gets you tickets to the first SIX live premieres.
    • A 9 MONTH PASS gets you tickets to the first NINE live premieres.
    • A 12 MONTH PASS gets you tickets to all TWELVE live premieres.
    Now, we can only premiere 12 new episodes if we get to make 12 new episodes... but no matter what happens, we'll make sure there's at least one event in The Gizmoplex each month for a full year.

So, if we don't have enough new episodes to premiere one each month, we'll still host other special live screening events. And don’t worry, whether we're watching new episodes or not, we'll make sure the events are a really special "MST3K" experience.

4. What if I can't be online for a live event? Can I still see it?

Oh yeah, of course. After each new episode has its "live premiere," both the episode and a recording of the full live premiere event will be available to watch "on demand" in The Gizmoplex until the next premiere event.

But yeah, if you can't make it to one of our live events, you will be able to watch (or rewatch) everything you missed for at least a month! You just won't be able to join the live chat, or participate in any of the interactive parts of the event, because, you know... they'll already be finished.

5. If I don't pledge for a 12 MONTH PASS now, will I be able to get event tickets – or buy and download the new episodes – when they come out?

We don't want to keep anyone from seeing the new episodes, and I know not everyone can afford to pledge for the twelve-month "Gizmoplex Season Pass" right now. So, once The Gizmoplex launches, and we start holding live events and premieres, you will be able to get event tickets, extra months of access, and buy individual episodes (once they've been released).

We don't know how much those will cost you later, but we do know they'll cost a little more than getting a Gizmoplex Pass now for all of those events. (Also, it'll be too late for your money to help us reach our Kickstarter goals, or for us to add more episodes in Season 13.)

So, if you're going to want all of them, I hope you'll consider pledging at the EXPERIMENT 100 level (or higher) now. That way, you'll have tickets to all of our new episode premieres, and you'll also get to download all of the new episodes to keep.

6. I still have a ton of other questions about The Gizmoplex, and other rewards, and the future, and my birth parents. I need answers, Joel!

I hear you, man – and I know, it's a lot to take in all at once. I've tried to answer some of the most common questions here, to make sure everyone sees them... but if you've got more questions, take a look in our Kickstarter FAQ, since we've also started adding some more answers there. I'll also keep answering more questions in these updates all month long.

Also, if you just can't wait, you can always send us a message here on Kickstarter. We still have a really small team doing a lot of things every day, so I hope you'll be patient with us if it takes a day or two to get back to you.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    So how long do we think before new eps are available? 6 months to a year?