As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PlayStation4 / PSN] PS3+Vita games are back on the menu, boys!

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Days Gone is up as PS Plus free download and I'm looking forward to playing it.

Seems like a pretty good acceptable, open world game and I could go for that right now.

It's been said before, but Days Gone only really has 2 big flaws. A zombie setting that people were already starting to tire of after years of saturation. And it's an open world game on a system with a metric ton of great open world games that you'd probably want to play first.

If zombies don't make you... well groan like a zombie, and you've already played most of the other must haves on the PS4... it's a really good game!

Yeah, if you haven't played Spider-man / Miles Morales, Ghost of Tsushima, or Horizon: Zero Dawn, I'd 100% play those before Days Gone.

I was looking at grabbing Days Gone (and still might, since I can get it 75% off because of Easter sales), but I’m currently playing these very three games.

With Red Dead 2 to play after. And God of War.

It’s got a lot of competition for my time.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So I spent about 75 bucks to grab a few games before the store shuts down, even though I hated doing it.

I grabbed a few of the PS1 and PS2 titles that I've wanted to grab eventually but never did, including some of the RPGS I love but have been too lazy to buy over the years. It's nice to have them, but I hate to reward the practice of gating off gaming history permanently like this. I really wish that Sony loved their history and legacy the way Nintendo does or sees value in gaming past like MS has been this generation. It's really frustrating that Sony sees very little value to their legacy, considering just how amazing that legacy is. :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I really wish that Sony loved their history and legacy the way Nintendo does

Oh do not go into the Nintendo thread right now with all the Mario 35 / 3D All-Stars talk.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    McFodder wrote: »

Oh do not go into the Nintendo thread right now with all the Mario 35 / 3D All-Stars talk.

Stupid decisions aside, no other company has such a reverance for their history or celebrates it as much as Nintendo.

I wish Sony had half the respect for their history. :(

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Stupid decisions aside, no other company has such a reverance for their history or celebrates it as much as Nintendo.

Nintendo is extremely selective as to which parts of their history they celebrate and when.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

Nintendo is extremely selective as to which parts of their history they celebrate and when.

Which, to be fair, makes it all the more disappointing that they're the high water mark . . . :confused:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Which, to be fair, makes it all the more disappointing that they're the high water mark . . . :confused:

Microsoft are doing a very good job for their part, they just don't have the same level of history to draw from as even Sony, let alone Nintendo. But of the three, right this very moment, I'd say they're doing the best job.

• Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    So I spent about 75 bucks to grab a few games before the store shuts down, even though I hated doing it.

Ok, I have to ask after days of searching... How does one find the old store to browse games and prices for PS1/2/3 games?
    Typing in Xenogears for example brings back nothing when on PS4 or the updated storefront.

Witchsight.png
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Witchsight wrote: »

Ok, I have to ask after days of searching... How does one find the old store to browse games and prices for PS1/2/3 games?
    Typing in Xenogears for example brings back nothing when on PS4 or the updated storefront.

You have to be on the old console and accessing that console's interface, in this case: a PS3.

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »

You have to be on the old console and accessing that console's interface, in this case: a PS3.

Ok, that clears things up a bit, thanks!
    So if I rig up my PS2 to get online, Ill have access to the soon to be departed PS2 options only?

Witchsight.png
  • Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »

Ok, that clears things up a bit, thanks!
    So if I rig up my PS2 to get online, Ill have access to the soon to be departed PS2 options only?

Assuming you meant PS3, you can also use the store to buy Vita and PSP games, and PS1 and PS2 Classics.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    cckerberos wrote: »
    Assuming you meant PS3, you can also use the store to buy Vita and PSP games, and PS1 and PS2 Classics.

No, sadly I dont own a PS3. Ive got a slim PS2 with a network adapter. Sounds like no last minute PS classic binge buying for me then.

Witchsight.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

No, sadly I dont own a PS3. Ive got a slim PS2 with a network adapter. Sounds like no last minute PS classic binge buying for me then.

Ps2 never had an online store, so no. Physical games only for consoles of that age.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Microsoft are doing a very good job for their part, they just don't have the same level of history to draw from as even Sony, let alone Nintendo. But of the three, right this very moment, I'd say they're doing the best job.

If I had to make a guess, it's both because they're the younger of the three in terms of console materials, and that they're a computer company by trade and know the value of archiving.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular

If I had to make a guess, it's both because they're the younger of the three in terms of console materials, and that they're a computer company by trade and know the value of archiving.

Going to disagree and say it's because they already understood the importance of long term licensing deals. Nintendo only really updates first party stuff that they own all the rights to. See Mario RPG for an example of a beloved game that is never going to get updated due to 3rd party issues. Sony, unfortunately, had to learn the hard way that licensed music and stuff like that makes it very expensive and time consuming to remake or even remaster a game. Sadly many of the games that players are nostalgic about were not first party Sony games and so they refuse to pay the money to get the license to update them. Of the three only Microsoft had the knowledge of how to get license agreements to move between generations and how to handle releasing upgrading versions of software made by 3rd parties. I may be wrong but this feels way closer to the mark then Nintendo caring more or Sony not wanting to do it. It is just flat out cheaper and easier for microsoft because of the way the deals were originally made.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Years of remasters and such and I still cannot believe that they haven't done a Infamous Remastered Collection. :(

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Personally, I'd say it's a happy accident due to Microsoft using a fairly similar programming architecture for all its consoles. In other words, they have the capability to easily emulate continue to sell oXbox games and keep a revenue stream going. Since Sony went with that weird eight-core programming nightmare in the PS3, they can't continue to sell those games on the PS4 with out an insane amount of emulation work. And as more and more people pack their PS3s in their closets, there's less and less money coming in.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Days Gone is fun so far, pretty much the sort of game I needed right now since I already played and beat all the big open world games.

That said im constantly comparing it to Last of Us 2, bc it's gameplay mechanics are so similar.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Personally, I'd say it's a happy accident due to Microsoft using a fairly similar programming architecture for all its consoles. In other words, they have the capability to easily emulate continue to sell oXbox games and keep a revenue stream going. Since Sony went with that weird eight-core programming nightmare in the PS3, they can't continue to sell those games on the PS4 with out an insane amount of emulation work. And as more and more people pack their PS3s in their closets, there's less and less money coming in.

The Xbox 360 was the one Xbox that went left field in its architecture, using a double-threaded triple-core PowerPC setup that was a big deviation from the x86 design of the other three generations of Xbox. That's why it took so long to get backwards compatibility in a good state both from 360 to OG Xbox and Xbox One to 360.

Not in the same league as Sony making their own lives so difficult BC-wise (even if they had the will, which I frankly doubt) with the weird architecture of the PS2's Emotion Engine and the PS3's Cell processor, of course. Heh, remember Sony trying to convince us the Cell architecture was the way forward for generations to come?

But anyway, all credit to MS for sticking at it for years and getting BC in a good place, even if admittedly a far from perfect one - and for putting a customer-friendly spin on it as Phil Spencer tells us (while giving us no reason to disbelieve it) that they want to respect our historical purchases. It's engendered a lot of consumer goodwill.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Days Gone is fun so far, pretty much the sort of game I needed right now since I already played and beat all the big open world games.

That said im constantly comparing it to Last of Us 2, bc it's gameplay mechanics are so similar.

Yeah AFAIK it's less dour than TLoU2. Especially with the protag's attitude with things.

• Options

The Xbox 360 was the one Xbox that went left field in its architecture, using a double-threaded triple-core PowerPC setup that was a big deviation from the x86 design of the other three generations of Xbox. That's why it took so long to get backwards compatibility in a good state both from 360 to OG Xbox and Xbox One to 360.

Not in the same league as Sony making their own lives so difficult BC-wise (even if they had the will, which I frankly doubt) with the weird architecture of the PS2's Emotion Engine and the PS3's Cell processor, of course. Heh, remember Sony trying to convince us the Cell architecture was the way forward for generations to come?

But anyway, all credit to MS for sticking at it for years and getting BC in a good place, even if admittedly a far from perfect one - and for putting a customer-friendly spin on it as Phil Spencer tells us (while giving us no reason to disbelieve it) that they want to respect our historical purchases. It's engendered a lot of consumer goodwill.

I can't speak for the Series, but the One's BC is damn near magical. Everything I ever bought digitally that's compatible just popped up in my games list with zero effort.

Back on topic, what are the chances the PS4/PS5 connections become less cumbersome and confusing? I'd like to stick with Sony as my base platform since their first-party stuff appeals most to me personally, but all the technical hitches I keep hearing about are making me a bit nervous. (The store mess, the phantom icons that remain when you erase a game, etc.)

• Options
    edited April 2021

I can't speak for the Series, but the One's BC is damn near magical. Everything I ever bought digitally that's compatible just popped up in my games list with zero effort.

Back on topic, what are the chances the PS4/PS5 connections become less cumbersome and confusing? I'd like to stick with Sony as my base platform since their first-party stuff appeals most to me personally, but all the technical hitches I keep hearing about are making me a bit nervous. (The store mess, the phantom icons that remain when you erase a game, etc.)

Spoilered for you're right, it's getting a little OT:
    Series will play everything a One can, plus of course Series versions of things and Series exclusives. It'll play all the One games and all the BC stuff too. So even more magical in its own way. (Yes, I know a PS5 will play all the PS4 stuff too, but with those the line stops there, except PS Now and specific ports.)

It took the One's BC a while to get to where it is now but you're right, it's super impressive.

I really hope Sony work on making those connections smoother and fixing some of the glitches that are going on. some of it really just smacks of the PS5 firmware not being finished. So here's hoping system updates fix them up a bit.

Jazz on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Dear PS4 users! I have a technical question that might get a little into the weeds with audio, particularly headsets and splitters and mics.

The conundrum; I enjoy playing Apex Legends with friends on the console. My girlfriend enjoys watching me do so, at which point I usually just play using the TV sound so she can hear the lines and action with me, even though having a headset is the better way to play a game where situational awareness via audio cues is important.

But when I'm playing with friends, being on comms is a necessity (I find randoms rarely talk in game these days, so it's not a pertinent point either way), at which point she's kind of left just watching it play out silently while getting half of any given conversation. Not exactly ideal.

(to head off the obvious suggestion, she's not interested in learning to play, and we don't have a second PS4 to make that happen anyways, she just enjoys it as a spectator sport)

Thinking I was being clever, I tried putting a headphone splitter into my PS4 controller, and connecting my usual headset to one port, and a regular pair of headphones into the other. The good news, we could both hear the game sound! The bad news; my mic stopped working!

Which... kind of defeats the purpose.

So, I'm trying to assess if there's a way to get it so that we can both hear the game/group chat, using a single controller, while allowing me to use the mic still. I'm about to go diving into Google and Amazon to see if there's a separate headphone/mic splitter I should be using, or if it's a matter of having one with a mic and one without, or whatever, but while I fall down a couple of google search rabbit holes, I figured I'd put it out to the class and see if anyone else has already solved (or read about solving) such a matter.

I've found a Youtube video detailing a solution that put me on the right course, but the product they recommend is no longer in stock. I've put in similar search terms for the Canadian Amazon site, but there are roughly a gajillion similar things that mostly seem to either be a straight up splitter (like I've already tried to use) or one input that links a separate mic and headset individually (not ideal, I do need both parts of the 'y' to put out audio, and at least one of them to accept it).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Forar wrote: »
    Dear PS4 users! I have a technical question that might get a little into the weeds with audio, particularly headsets and splitters and mics.

The conundrum; I enjoy playing Apex Legends with friends on the console. My girlfriend enjoys watching me do so, at which point I usually just play using the TV sound so she can hear the lines and action with me, even though having a headset is the better way to play a game where situational awareness via audio cues is important.

But when I'm playing with friends, being on comms is a necessity (I find randoms rarely talk in game these days, so it's not a pertinent point either way), at which point she's kind of left just watching it play out silently while getting half of any given conversation. Not exactly ideal.

(to head off the obvious suggestion, she's not interested in learning to play, and we don't have a second PS4 to make that happen anyways, she just enjoys it as a spectator sport)

Thinking I was being clever, I tried putting a headphone splitter into my PS4 controller, and connecting my usual headset to one port, and a regular pair of headphones into the other. The good news, we could both hear the game sound! The bad news; my mic stopped working!

Which... kind of defeats the purpose.

So, I'm trying to assess if there's a way to get it so that we can both hear the game/group chat, using a single controller, while allowing me to use the mic still. I'm about to go diving into Google and Amazon to see if there's a separate headphone/mic splitter I should be using, or if it's a matter of having one with a mic and one without, or whatever, but while I fall down a couple of google search rabbit holes, I figured I'd put it out to the class and see if anyone else has already solved (or read about solving) such a matter.

I've found a Youtube video detailing a solution that put me on the right course, but the product they recommend is no longer in stock. I've put in similar search terms for the Canadian Amazon site, but there are roughly a gajillion similar things that mostly seem to either be a straight up splitter (like I've already tried to use) or one input that links a separate mic and headset individually (not ideal, I do need both parts of the 'y' to put out audio, and at least one of them to accept it).
    You're probably using the wrong type of splitter. Headphone splitters are often TRS (it has two black rings, for a metal TIP, RING, and SLEEVE component) which carries a stereo audio signal without microphone, whereas headsets with a microphone are TRRS (3 black rings, for a TIP, RING 1, RING 2, and SLEEVE component). What you want is a TRRS Male splitter to 2 TRRS female jacks. Something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/CablesOnline-Female-Stereo-Splitter-IP-Y02/dp/B00IKMSMWI

The comment section on that product seems to indicate that it's a solution for your exact problem.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Yup, I had the same issue, doing what Hansoo1 said is what worked.

• Options
    That does indeed seem to be the issue. I found a similar cable that's TRRS on the Canadian Amazon and it should arrive in a few days. Fingers crossed I haven't missed something along the way, but it'll be great if this works out.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    This is all going off memory, and I'd have to dig out the PS4 from the closet to actually check. But I want to say I think there's an audio setting that has chat only come out of the headset and game audio out the TV. I say this because I remember when I first bought the Gold Wireless headset, they didn't work at first, and I had to flip the option telling the system to play all audio from them, not just chat. Which I thought was silly at the time. In the end though, this'll let your GF hear the game, but she still wouldn't hear chat, if that's important to you.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Nah, that's not necessary, and the positional audio from the headphones is better than from the TV anyways.

I mean, I'm no pro, in fact after playing for a solid year I can soundly say that I still suck at the game. But it's not beneficial to be playing with TV sound if I can avoid it (and having headphones and a mic set up for party chat and muffling the TV sound would possibly be the worst of both worlds).

A splitter that lets her use headphones to listen in while still letting me chat and hear everything is the best outcome. Bonus points for the possibility of using two headsets with mics so she could join in the chatter, but I don't actually own a second headphones/mic combo, so a moot point for the time being.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I've dusted off my PS3 and a cursory glance at the store shows very little of interest. Is it just that the UK store is severely lacking compared to the US and Japanese stores?

(Not having a Vita, or a PSP any more, I'm only looking at stuff that'll play on a PS3, but that would include PS1 and PS2 games on the store. My PS3 is already primarily my MGS1 and Gradius V adapter.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I've dusted off my PS3 and a cursory glance at the store shows very little of interest. Is it just that the UK store is severely lacking compared to the US and Japanese stores?

(Not having a Vita, or a PSP any more, I'm only looking at stuff that'll play on a PS3, but that would include PS1 and PS2 games on the store. My PS3 is already primarily my MGS1 and Gradius V adapter.)

It really just depends on what you're looking for. I think the store closing has created a wave of FOMO. Everyone asking themselves "Oh man, should I get [insert game] now since I won't be able to change my mind later?" But at the end of the day, if you really wanted the game in the first place, you probably would have bought it already.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Dirty wrote: »

It really just depends on what you're looking for. I think the store closing has created a wave of FOMO. Everyone asking themselves "Oh man, should I get [insert game] now since I won't be able to change my mind later?" But at the end of the day, if you really wanted the game in the first place, you probably would have bought it already.

Certainly to a point, yeah. I was fortunate that when I got given this PS3 it happened to be exactly when a Konami sale was on, so I could jump on MGS1 and Gradius V for super cheap the latter, at least, on a PS2 disc, is getting a bit pricey now. In fact I hadn't realised it had been made available on the PS3 at all until I browsed that sale and it was a great thrill to get it again without needing a PS2. The vast majority of games I wanted to play in the 360/PS3 generation were on the 360; my actual PS3 collection I've accumulated in the meantime is very small, it wasn't a vintage era of exclusives for me, but it's certainly enough to warrant keeping the machine. (To reiterate further: Gradius V on a machine with an HDMI output alone!)

It's definitely part FOMO, but sort of last-chance saloon...

Jazz on
  • Options

The number of digital-only PS3 exclusives just really isn't that long.

cckerberos.png
  • Options

It's the lack of older stuff that's more concerning. No Klonoa, for example.

• Options

Okay, that's got to be a region thing, because Klonoa is on the US PS3 store.

cckerberos.png
  • Options

Okay, that's got to be a region thing, because Klonoa is on the US PS3 store.

I'm not sure if it even got a PS1 release here back in the day, so that might be why. But it's definitely an indicator that stuff may be lacking.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Do EU region PS1/2 classics try to play in 50hz on a PS3? That's not something I've seen discussed...

• Options
    Finally playing Dad of War.

The first time I saw Kratos "open" a small treasure chest I had to stop playing and laugh for a good solid minute.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    God of War is legitimately one of the best games I've played in a long time. I hated the previous entries very much too so it was unexpected.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    God of War is legitimately one of the best games I've played in a long time. I hated the previous entries very much too so it was unexpected.

The interaction between Kratos and his son is just so damn good. And Kratos actually has a personality beyond non-stop rage.

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

It almost feels like a game-length apology for all the edgelord crap that happened in the previous games.

FC: 1907-8030-1478