As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Knockout [Chat]

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    What happens when the forge turns on

Is it like, a drawn-out extinction event, or is it an instantaneous apocalyptic moment

Is the world totally dead afterward, stripped of all life? Do the dead worlds end up with mindless undead on them? Maybe sometimes souls get bound up in some kind of barrier and end up stuck in undead bodies for sapient undead

My first thought is that a pivotal campaign moment would involve traveling to one of these dead worlds, probably through the connection between the forge and the Stars, and realizing the scope of the terrible truth, while spelunking in ancient ruins for a mcguffin

Evil Multifarious on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Had a small blow up over some stupid shit at work and just as I was about to add hungry to the list of things upsetting me, my wife made the dumbest joke and then I laughed and drank a protein shake and now I'm good again.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Okay next Stellaris expansion is cool. I love the idea of becoming the crisis or pulling a Palpatine.

https://youtu.be/sOJ26b3906Q

As a Lover of Democracy this appeals to me

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    He tweeted that he had nose surgery, he was kidding. But still, believeable.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Also I've got an NFT question.

I got linked to an article about the Delorean Back to the Future NFT coming out this week or next week or something. They're making them in three editions, limited to like 1000, 20,000, and 50,000 each, and they vary from $50 to I think $100

Now, each of these NFTs features the delorean, and some of them have working lights and doors that open and stuff.

If I bought one of them, and own it, does that mean if I made a 3D racing game I could use that model in it, as long as I wasn't using any BttF logos?

Because otherwise I don't see the point in buying something that you can just have for free.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
  • KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    "Evil Multifarious"

hello, please consider illustrating my magical patron/dark god for your prompt. I wrote it up for the DCC/DnD campaign I'm running
    The Dark Stars are an ancient constellation of malevolent, cold-burning suns. They lurk along the furthest edge of our universe, silently observing - and guiding - the events of the cosmic and mortal realms. Among their powers are the gifts of prophecy and the manipulation of fate. Their understanding of ancient cosmic magic is unmatched, and they are willing to share their dark secrets with promising mortal agents - for a terrible price.

Billions of years ago, The Dark Stars were like any other countless stars in the great cosmic cycle. They birthed in stellar nurseries, and Mother Gaia herself entrusted them with watching over the life developing on millions of worlds throughout the universe. They cast their light on planets, and witnessed the rise and fall of countless civilizations. As with all things, though, they began to die after billions of years. The sacred fuel that kept their blazing cores burning ran dry, and they collapsed into the final stage of their life cycle. While most of the stars were content to pass into stellar death, a select few quietly raged against this injustice, and sought ways to extend their lives indefinitely.

To do this, they needed an alternate source of fuel, and eventually came to realize the energy of the life around them could suffice. Using their vast knowledge and power, they attracted agents on worlds harboring intelligent life, and manipulated them into building vast and terrible machines, known as forges, that could harvest the lifeforce of every being on the planet. Using souls to power their burning cores instead of the sacred fuel corrupted the stars. Their cold and brilliant light shone on their dead, harvested worlds, and they quickly turned their attention to distant worlds still teeming with life.

Agents:

The Dark Stars prefer ambitious and powerful agents that are willing to dedicate decades and even centuries to their sprawling and nefarious plans. Because of the enormous resources required to construct the forges, Dark Star agents often form cabals and cults to steer entire civilizations and empires into building the engines of their own destruction. To entice the best and brightest, they offer powerful magic that is able to manipulate fate and summon the terrible light and destructive power that The Dark Stars wield. In return, their agents supply The Stars with as many souls as possible. Agents are often granted magical implements or spells that are able to store and harvest souls, and serve as a marker of the agent’s covenant with the constellation.

Where these souls come from is irrelevant - The Stars see mortal life as little more than a distant fuel source. Mortals themselves and their flicker-length lives are oblivious to the cosmic cycle, and so are beneath their consideration. Only the agents that are able to ignite the awful engines that devour entire worlds - the forges - and deliver millions of souls are worthy of peership with The Stars. Those select few are granted a portion of souls they collect when they harvest a world, elevating them in power and knowledge.

Are they taking applications for supplicants who have been driven to madness by the contemplation of the cold infinitude and sheer weight of age? Because I might know a guy.

Um, our D&D game is over. Get with the program

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

I got linked to an article about the Delorean Back to the Future NFT coming out this week or next week or something. They're making them in three editions, limited to like 1000, 20,000, and 50,000 each, and they vary from $50 to I think $100

Now, each of these NFTs features the delorean, and some of them have working lights and doors that open and stuff.

If I bought one of them, and own it, does that mean if I made a 3D racing game I could use that model in it, as long as I wasn't using any BttF logos?

Because otherwise I don't see the point in buying something that you can just have for free.

There is literally no point. NFTs are utterly pointless and have no intrinsic worth or practical use whatsoever.

At best they are a cryptographically secure way you can prove you gave money to the person who made a listing.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    What the fuck why would people lie on the internet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWdD206eSv0

bloodyroarxx on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    My cat likes to watch me play video games. it doesn't have to involve animals, though she likes those more. Anything with high contrast will catch her attention, and she's happy to just chill and watch.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    The new espionage stuff sounds great and might be just what I needed to make diplomacy less static

I'm excited!

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    My cat likes to watch me play video games. it doesn't have to involve animals, though she likes those more. Anything with high contrast will catch her attention, and she's happy to just chill and watch.

My cat also likes to watch me play video games, but instead of looking at the screen she just sits in my lap and stares at me like a weirdo while I play.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

There is literally no point. NFTs are utterly pointless and have no intrinsic worth or practical use whatsoever.

At best they are a cryptographically secure way you can prove you gave money to the person who made a listing.

The NFT gives you the right to say you own the NFT.

That's it. You're getting nothing else.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    i feel bad about it, but i laughed out loud at the idea of Kirkhope being punched for writing the DK Rap

sorry Kirkhope, you're a decent composer!

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    my cat likes to watch video games but not me playing them

he mostly watches ninja and dr disrespect

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @Casual Eddy hahaha that spell is great.

I really love how flavorful DCC's magic is. The way D&D magic tends to work in really rote, predictable ways tends to make it kind of boring to me compared to something with more risk and uncertainty (like DCC), more in-universe flavor like The One Ring, or more versatility like Mage.

rRwz9.gif
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

Is it like, a drawn-out extinction event, or is it an instantaneous apocalyptic moment

Is the world totally dead afterward, stripped of all life? Do the dead worlds end up with mindless undead on them? Maybe sometimes souls get bound up in some kind of barrier and end up stuck in undead bodies for sapient undead

My first thought is that a pivotal campaign moment would involve traveling to one of these dead worlds, probably through the connection between the forge and the Stars, and realizing the scope of the terrible truth, while spelunking in ancient ruins for a mcguffin

that sounds rad

the forges will harvest a world in a cataclysmic event, killing every sapient creature and harvesting their life-essence. the engine then beams the energy billions of miles to the recipient. this process releases enough radiation to sterilize the planet, turning into a dead world. the soulless undead wandering a tomb-world is a really cool idea and not something I thought about before

in my campaign the wizard who is serving the dark stars is going to turn the engine on, but the goddess of nature Ildavir, wants him to use the forge to harvest the capital city of the empire and use that power to blow the roof off of the undersea that the campaign has taken place in, thus restoring it to the natural order. There's some shenanigans going on so that he'll be compelled to do that (our cleric is of Ildavir, and has repeatedly healed the wizard from death's door, and Ildavir states she can take that power back and turn the wizard to dust), but I think I'm going to have a backup plan in case he decides to try and harvest the whole planet anyway.

It's exciting because I think we're about 2-3 sessions from the climatic battle and final showdown

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    The new espionage stuff sounds great and might be just what I needed to make diplomacy less static

I'm excited!

The new first contact system, which is part of the free upgrade with the "Dick" patch, sounds great. Building up information on enemy empires. Not just "run a research and known them." Espionage, diplomacy, and vivisection. All the old favorites.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

This is her as a kitten in 2009 watching me play Wow:

vpjf62sbra8s.jpg

And this is her a couple of months ago watching herself watching me play... probably Planet Zoo or something.

o68gr2uhhk0g.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

I'm excited!

*changes chat population control policy to "livestock"*

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

This is her as a kitten in 2009 watching me play Wow:

vpjf62sbra8s.jpg

And this is her a couple of months ago watching herself watching me play... probably Planet Zoo or something.

o68gr2uhhk0g.jpg

BABY :hearteyes:

rRwz9.gif
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Has anyone bothered to ask the dark star how its doing? Maybe it just needs someone to talk to.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    @Casual Eddy hahaha that spell is great.

I really love how flavorful DCC's magic is. The way D&D magic tends to work in really rote, predictable ways tends to make it kind of boring to me compared to something with more risk and uncertainty (like DCC), more in-universe flavor like The One Ring, or more versatility like Mage.

every dcc spell is built like that! sleep, a level 1 spell, can potentially kill an entire city at the highest results

32+ Natural slumber to all things: the caster causes the world around him to slow and sleep. All creatures
    within 500 yards fall asleep. Creatures of 4 or fewer HD receive no save. The affected creatures include
    birds, insects, and small animals as well as people. Both friendly and unfriendly creatures are affected.
    Plants are also affected; those that close their petals or retract flowers at night behave as if it is nighttime.
    The effect is supernatural in aspect and cannot be disturbed. The affected world continues to slumber
    until a specific interrupt condition occurs (e.g., the new moon rises, or 100 years have passed). Only powerful magic can end the effect sooner.

I'm excited!

The new first contact system, which is part of the free upgrade with the "Dick" patch, sounds great. Building up information on enemy empires. Not just "run a research and known them." Espionage, diplomacy, and vivisection. All the old favorites.

Oh man I did not hear about that

This is promising!

that sounds rad

the forges will harvest a world in a cataclysmic event, killing every sapient creature and harvesting their life-essence. the engine then beams the energy billions of miles to the recipient. this process releases enough radiation to sterilize the planet, turning into a dead world. the soulless undead wandering a tomb-world is a really cool idea and not something I thought about before

in my campaign the wizard who is serving the dark stars is going to turn the engine on, but the goddess of nature Ildavir, wants him to use the forge to harvest the capital city of the empire and use that power to blow the roof off of the undersea that the campaign has taken place in, thus restoring it to the natural order. There's some shenanigans going on so that he'll be compelled to do that (our cleric is of Ildavir, and has repeatedly healed the wizard from death's door, and Ildavir states she can take that power back and turn the wizard to dust), but I think I'm going to have a backup plan in case he decides to try and harvest the whole planet anyway.

It's exciting because I think we're about 2-3 sessions from the climatic battle and final showdown

Oh so the wizard knows what's up

I was imagining them deceiving their servants (until they become powerful and complicit enough to be tempted by eternal reward and servitude, knowing the truth)

Setting the campaign at the moment of the forge's completion makes it harder to justify serving them but it's also higher drama

Is the core conflict player v player? I dig it

a 32 on a d20 is pretty hard to get at lower levels, of course, but not impossible with the game mechanics

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

I'm excited!

Oh man I did not hear about that

This is promising!

https://youtu.be/VQhQUqoSg1c

u7stthr17eud.png

that sounds rad

I was imagining them deceiving their servants (until they become powerful and complicit enough to be tempted by eternal reward and servitude, knowing the truth)

Setting the campaign at the moment of the forge's completion makes it harder to justify serving them but it's also higher drama

it's vanguard's wizard and she's just evil and power hungry

when I presented her with the dark star's contract he texted back *doesn't read, mashes accept repeatedly*

I'm excited!

*changes chat population control policy to "livestock"*

Frankly I think the opinion hit for sapiophagy is way too high

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

that sounds rad

Given what we know of the IRL pandemic and all, I'm not surprised if the minions don't need to be deceived at all. They're probably 100% on board with the suicidal plan. "Make FantasyWorld Great Again" and all that.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    BABY :hearteyes:

More TBT!

yztyljo2u73x.jpg

yl7211f5612d.jpg

they're all cool with destroying their planet as long as they get rewarded with immense power

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    they're all cool with destroying their planet as long as they get rewarded with immense power

no politics in chat plz

• JamesJames Registered User regular
    Got my car airbag changed today (for free!). They were recalled because sometimes the mechanism would explode and project shrapnel at the passenger instead of inflating the bag, which is the exact opposite of what you want an airbag to do. I'm very glad I never had occasion to find out whether mine was defective.

hah! 32+ on blessing is also ridic/awesome

At this level of power, the blessing applies to the cleric and to an enterprise
    he serves in the name of his deity.
    Moreover, the blessing bestowed to
    an ongoing enterprise is permanent,
    as long as it is favored by the cleric’s
    deity, until either the completion of
    the enterprise or its dissolution. Note
    that there is a “reasonableness factor”
    in the deity’s granting of this blessing.
    Attempting to abuse the definition of
    a “permanent enterprise” risk a deity’s
    wrath. The enterprise can be a pilgrimage to a distant shrine, an army with a
    certain holy goal, a mission to liberate
    a princess, a sea voyage to encounter
    new lands, or other such endeavors.
    All persons involved in the enterprise
    with the cleric receive a +1 bonus
    to all activities associated with the
    enterprise, as long as it remains in the
    service of the cleric’s deity. In addition, the cleric can designate a number
    of individuals equal to his CL who
    receive an expanded bonus of +CL
    to all activities associated with the
    enterprise. This is such a mighty drain
    of strength the cleric loses the ability
    to cast this spell for 1d20+10 days. If
    at any point the cleric falls out of favor
    with his deity, the blessing is revoked.
    The blessing is magical in nature and
    can be dispelled temporarily

Who wants to buy an NFT of my avatar?

It is not mine to sell since it's part of some "nintendo characters painted as bara men" set of images by an artist whose name I cannot recall. It's a low res edit of the source image, and if you buy it I will publicly deny creating the NFT listing. I will also immediately change it to something else, then back, invalidating the gallery URL.

let's start bidding at $3,000

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.

no politics in chat plz

global forging is a hoax

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    It's 3 pm over here and my brain is forming a committee to pick between RDR2, Sekiro, Hades, and HZD. My money is on staring at screens and not picking anything.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

no politics in chat plz

global forging is a hoax
    Look, global forging is real, and all. We can't deny that data. But I question whether or not it's wizard-made.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
This discussion has been closed.