As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Anime Thread R (The R Stands for Returns)

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Nah, each movie takes place deep into the story

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Nah, each movie takes place deep into the story

Ah then yeah, that's the rub.

I chose Dragon Ball: Curse of the Blood Rubies as its a retelling of the first season of Dragon Ball.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »
    Joke Suggestions:
    *Blood C: The Last Dark
    *Fullmetal Alchemist: Conqueror of Shamballa
    *Martian Successor Nadesico: Prince of Darkness
    *Neon Genesis Evangeleon: Death & Rebirth
    *Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Rebellion
    *Tales from Earthsea

Real Suggestions:
    Eh, mostly stuff that's been said. I'll upvote Porco Rosso.
    For something not said, maybe "Lupin III: The First" to show a CG anime, but Castle of Calgiostro's probably better for Lupin III content.

You monster, no one should have to watch the bolded, nor should it exist

I never could figure out what the hell happened between the end of Nadesico the series and this Movie. I feel like I was missing some really important either manga one shot/OVA /Movie that explained why Akito
    turned into a Trenchcoat gunslinger with another Yuri clone and Yurkia turned into a plant?/Statue? Thing?
    I was so fucking lost.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Are there intro movies for My Hero Academia?

No. The movies are semi-canon inserts, first one slots roughly between Season 2-3, second movie between 4-5. Could probably still work solo though if someone is fine with not having full context

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    What exactly is the goal? To get her into anime, to educate her on the breadth of anime, or to educate her about anime her students are likely watching so she can engage with them about it?

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    What exactly is the goal? To get her into anime, to educate her on the breadth of anime, or to educate her about anime her students are likely watching so she can engage with them about it?

A quote from our email on the topic:

"I do remember Speed Racer as a kid, but I hated it. I actually don't like anime, but I'll watch a few so I can talk about it with the kids"

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    yeah, telling her to watch the first 3 episodes of naruto or something seems more useful

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    So current series then is what I'm hearing since I don't think the YOUTHS are watching the old stuff much.

Though I would find suggesting Redline to be hilarious considering she said she hated Speed Racer as a kid and it's basically Speed Racer with an actual animation budget

Madican on
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Yeah anything current right now seems like it may be more useful to the conversation than like the classics of anime.
    Which is MHA at this point, although Naruto has probably not lost all relevance. But I bet even your Jujutsu Kaisen etc is gonna be what high schoolers are following.
    I don't think they're generally looking to chat about Grave of the Fireflies, unless I guess the goal is, yes I am aware of your shows, but have you watched the good shit? Let me tell you about Princess Mononoke.

• Options
    Jujutsu Kaisen, Demon Slayer, Keijo, Black Clover, they all work.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Just get her hooked on some of the recent stuff that most of her class probably hasn't seen.

Flip Flappers, Nozaki-kun, Symphogear, etc.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I enjoy Black Clover, but there's a fair amount of it.
    Same for MHA though is good faster than BC and at least has some movies. I think movies at least have a like 5 minute "here's the deal with Heroes, Midoriya, as All Might"

JJK and Demon Slayer are great (barring Zenitsu) and currently only have a single season which is way less daunting of you're not already all the way into it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    My Hero Academia you could do 3-5 episodes or those episodes plus the first movie and talk competently about the themes and style of the series of the show, if not any of the specific plot. Same with Demon Slayer, the first couple of episodes would give you an idea of what the rest would be like.

• Options
    yeah I'll jump aboard the MHA, JJK, and Demon Slayer as good examples of anime for The Kids These Days. Shonen ass shonens, but all solid with relatively low problematic stuff (Zenitsu and Mineta being the worst of it)

Steam ID
  • Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Jujutsu Kaisen, Demon Slayer, Keijo, Black Clover, they all work.

Kids aint watchingf fucking keijo

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    This thread is so weird about Keijo

Steam ID
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Just sneaking Keijo into a list like that...

No, thats a bad choice for this.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    If she's cool, she'll appreciate Keijo.

But she's a teacher, so from what I learned, she's probably n...probably very cool, yes.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    This thread is so weird about Keijo

I didn't recognize that one. Looked it up, oh....right.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Just sneaking Keijo into a list like that...

No, thats a bad choice for this.

It ain't sneaking if it's intended to be a joke since I know people understand what Keijo is. The entire point of the post was to elicit the "Wait a minute" reaction.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I guess the question is more like, she's an art teacher, is she trying to learn more about anime as an art form/tradition by watching The Good Stuff, or does she just wanna watch some of the Kids These Days animes so she has some idea wtf her brats are talking about

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »
    Joke Suggestions:
    *Blood C: The Last Dark
    *Fullmetal Alchemist: Conqueror of Shamballa
    *Martian Successor Nadesico: Prince of Darkness
    *Neon Genesis Evangeleon: Death & Rebirth
    *Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Rebellion
    *Tales from Earthsea

Real Suggestions:
    Eh, mostly stuff that's been said. I'll upvote Porco Rosso.
    For something not said, maybe "Lupin III: The First" to show a CG anime, but Castle of Calgiostro's probably better for Lupin III content.

You monster, no one should have to watch the bolded, nor should it exist

I never could figure out what the hell happened between the end of Nadesico the series and this Movie. I feel like I was missing some really important either manga one shot/OVA /Movie that explained why Akito
    turned into a Trenchcoat gunslinger with another Yuri clone and Yurkia turned into a plant?/Statue? Thing?
    I was so fucking lost.

You were expected to have played the Sega Saturn game, I guess. I've never seen a show just unload a double barreled shotgun into its own feet like Nadesico does. Awful how it does the entire cast almost

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I mean, art teacher might really like Eizouken?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    for a minute I confused Keijo with Kaiji

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    for a minute I confused Keijo with Kaiji

Only being able to use their butt or chest to play mahjong would certainly be a sight

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I feel like I would recommend Demon Slayer from any of the new stuff.

MHA is great, but I think it has a slower start. Demon Slayer seems to get rolling really much faster.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    caught up to slime. i liked the first part of the second season more than the first i think.

slime diaries also seems cute. i hope they evolve it to something with a little more storyline than just 10 2 minute vignettes like the first episode was. they were all cute little bits but i don't know that will hold my attention for the entire run, and i'm a certified slice of life addict so should be right up my alley.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    caught up to slime. i liked the first part of the second season more than the first i think.

slime diaries also seems cute. i hope they evolve it to something with a little more storyline than just 10 2 minute vignettes like the first episode was. they were all cute little bits but i don't know that will hold my attention for the entire run, and i'm a certified slice of life addict so should be right up my alley.

Its based on a 4 panel gag strip so its unlikely

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

Its based on a 4 panel gag strip so its unlikely

it had a very 4 koma feel to it, but sometimes those can escape their trappings a bit.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Apparently there's another spin off where the slime and elves and such go to the real world and have to get office jobs, and that one sounds hilarious to me.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    there's a bunch of spinoffs yeah, diaries, one with a fox girl, a dragonewt girl and harpy girl living in tempest reporting back to their home countries, another with a rabbit girl that reviews all the services in tempest that for some reason takes place way the fuck ahead of the other comics and spoils the light novels, the office in the real world one and then one where Rimiru's human form is a kindergartener that is fucking weird.

the fox girl and friends one is probably the best because it's an actual parallel story and is more development for the characters and the world. diaries is cute but very 4-koma, though it does provide good character moments with minor and background characters. rabbit girl has the best art but spoils the main story unless you've read the LN. office comedy is obviously a gag kindergarten one is fucking weird.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I guess the question is more like, she's an art teacher, is she trying to learn more about anime as an art form/tradition by watching The Good Stuff, or does she just wanna watch some of the Kids These Days animes so she has some idea wtf her brats are talking about

This was my question because my anime suggestions as a story telling medium is different than my recommendations as an art/animation fan.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Like I cannot in good conscience recommend Kill La Kill to someone dipping their toe into anime, but the first episode alone has some of the most bullshit awesome animation you'll ever see.

I like to ART
  • Options
    I feel like action animation probably doesnt hit if you are trying to look at it as a art form

Like yeah they drew man punch good but there is a lot more out there

prob doesnt matter though if they just want to see stuff the students would relate to

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Even to seasoned anime fans Kill La Kill is recommended with warnings.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I believe this video perfectly encapsulates the journey of watching KLK

https://youtu.be/rGCj9YILsmE

I like to ART
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    attack on titan seems to have a big draw outside and inside of anime circles

I mean it's on netflix in germany.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I feel like action animation probably doesnt hit if you are trying to look at it as a art form

Like yeah they drew man punch good but there is a lot more out there

prob doesnt matter though if they just want to see stuff the students would relate to

....season 1 of One Punch Man might not be a terrible recommendation, either.

• Options
    While I am happy to have helped spur discussion away from more intense avenues, I am going to just offer my opinion that there is a reason I chose to only recommend movies to my coworker.

I think the moment you start telling someone they have to watch a season or a variety of episodes of a show, they'll check out. Starting a TV show is a commitment.

Movies are a one-and-done. It's a far easier pitch.

This discussion has been closed.