As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Knockout [Chat]

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Thank god the pandemic is over so it's safe to stop washing my hands.

You can always lick them too in a worst case scenario

• KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    I went ahead and bought HZD while it's on sale, so I have it in case I decide to play it later. And while it's installing I can play RDR2 and see how Rockstar games look like in 4k/hdr.

I had the same thought. I was like, well I still have to finish Control so I’ll put HZD on the back burner and then I got the itch to play a new game and here we are.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Also the vaccine isn't like 100% and I'm pretty sure no one has yet proved if being vaccinated means you can't transfer the disease to other unvaccinated people. Like if you're around an infected person and you don't get symptoms but you cough near unvaxxed folks and then they get it? This is a big fear of mine!

So I think we should surgically graft masks to people's faces.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Also the vaccine isn't like 100% and I'm pretty sure no one has yet proved if being vaccinated means you can't transfer the disease to other unvaccinated people. Like if you're around an infected person and you don't get symptoms but you cough near unvaxxed folks and then they get it? This is a big fear of mine!

Unsealable mouths and noses are gross anyway.

• JamesJames Registered User regular

this is the way

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

https://fortune.com/2021/04/02/scientists-protest-cdc-directors-upbeat-vaccine-comments-but-caution-has-its-costs-too/

The CDC seems very nervous to say anything concrete, but since we've all become viral experts in the last year this quote makes me think it's largely not a thing:
    Critics cited by the Times may also have overlooked the context for Walensky’s comments. As Maddow made crystal clear in her introduction to the segment, the most important finding of the recent CDC study was that vaccinated people suffer an extremely low rate of asymptomatic infections. This may be bigger news than the general public realizes.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

No vaccine is 100% but the vaccine is productive the majority of the time.

A recent study of vaccinated front line workers showed that it was able to prevent transmissible disease most of the time.
    Prospective cohorts of health care personnel, first responders, and other essential and frontline workers over 13 weeks in eight U.S. locations confirmed that authorized mRNA COVID-19 vaccines (Pfizer-BioNTech’s BNT162b2 and Moderna’s mRNA-1273) are highly effective in real-world conditions. Vaccine effectiveness of full immunization with two doses of mRNA vaccines was 90% (95% CI = 68%–97%) against RT-PCR–confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection. These findings are consistent with those from the mRNA vaccines’ Phase III trials (1,2) and recent observational studies of the mRNA vaccine effectiveness against severe COVID-19 (3). The findings complement and expand upon these preceding reports by demonstrating that the vaccines can also reduce the risk for infection regardless of COVID-19–associated illness symptom status (4,5). Reducing the risk for transmissible infection, which can occur among persons with asymptomatic infection or among persons several days before symptoms onset (6), is especially important among health care personnel, first responders, and other essential and frontline workers given their potential to transmit the virus through frequent close contact with patients and the public.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7013e3.htm

u7stthr17eud.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Well that's good but as someone dealing with a major anxiety and depression issue who is about to have a baby in the house, I still say we all wear masks and stay inside until 2023 just to be on the safe side. Also please let me go back inside.

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Masks will stick around out of habit for a while and I think they’ll be see as generally polite but once I’m clear of the vaccine I’m gathering with other vaccinated people and trying to get back to some kind of normal.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Good evening you loners Dottie... you rebels

are YOU on the beer list?
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

https://fortune.com/2021/04/02/scientists-protest-cdc-directors-upbeat-vaccine-comments-but-caution-has-its-costs-too/

The CDC seems very nervous to say anything concrete, but since we've all become viral experts in the last year this quote makes me think it's largely not a thing:
    Critics cited by the Times may also have overlooked the context for Walensky’s comments. As Maddow made crystal clear in her introduction to the segment, the most important finding of the recent CDC study was that vaccinated people suffer an extremely low rate of asymptomatic infections. This may be bigger news than the general public realizes.

The attitude of the public health establishment is: "if there is literally any chance that a piece of advice could turn out to be wrong, or, that even if it's correct it could turn out to have counterproductive consequences, then we absolutely cannot issue that advice. Because then we would be responsible for the harms that resulted. Doing harm and being responsible for it is much, much worse than failing to produce some benefit."

This stance is the product of an unholy alliance of deontology and self-interest. The claim that it's much worse for a government agency to do harm than to fail to secure benefit is not that plausible, as a matter of ethics, even for genuine deontologists (Rawls, after all, having decided that doing/allowing didn't apply to the way the basic structure distributes goods). But it's very easy to believe when it happens to justify the course of action that ~also~ minimizes the chance for any public blowback.

So, shit sucks.

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    My normal was always sitting around inside playing video games

Well that's good but as someone dealing with a major anxiety and depression issue who is about to have a baby in the house, I still say we all wear masks and stay inside until 2023 just to be on the safe side. Also please let me go back inside.

When my daughter started school I got sick so many times.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Thank god the pandemic is over so it's safe to stop washing my hands.
    u5x33s2s4tug.jpeg

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I think we should definitely keep around some practices like if you feel like you've got a cold, stay home, or in the very least wear a mask, type of shit. Like not getting covid is great but also all of the flu seasons just weren't, as in they basically didn't happen. That'd be a cool thing to also keep going too.

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    James wrote: »

I have been sick less this last year than any time in my life in since my older boy was born. And he is 19.

I think maybe I had a mild cold once. When my younger boy started kindergarten I was sick on average 3-4 times per month.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

buzzkill notice: The image of the lady is a photocomp and the story is satire

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

buzzkill notice: The image of the lady is a photocomp and the story is satire
    Not with that attitude.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Also let's be real. Somewhere in Florida a stripper has absolutely showered a cop.

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Got my bill today for the ambulance ride- originally 800, I'm responsible for 125

since this happened less than a month ago, this is some kind of medical billing land speed record, and also I'm really grateful for a sane total bill amount

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    James wrote: »

I have been sick less this last year than any time in my life in since my older boy was born. And he is 19.

I think maybe I had a mild cold once. When my younger boy started kindergarten I was sick on average 3-4 times per month.

i've gone from generally feeling like some kind of crap almost all the time to not being able to remember the last time i felt sick

i don't wanna go back tbh

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    I think we should definitely keep around some practices like if you feel like you've got a cold, stay home, or in the very least wear a mask, type of shit. Like not getting covid is great but also all of the flu seasons just weren't, as in they basically didn't happen. That'd be a cool thing to also keep going too.

I would love to see mask use while sick and WFH while sick become absolutely standard but I know even if they stick for a year it's gonna fade and we'll be back on our regular bullshit

I really really hate unlabeled fake news being everywhere and shit getting worse. I don't think it's ok if it's low stakes or a joke either.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    As a Europe "maybe now we'll be able to stay at home if we're sick" is one of the cultural differences that it is hardest to get my head around

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I really really hate unlabeled fake news being everywhere and shit getting worse. I don't think it's ok if it's low stakes or a joke either.

God, I hate when people people are like, "I don't care if it is fake. It is funny." Then why pretend it is real!

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    As a Europe "maybe now we'll be able to stay at home if we're sick" is one of the cultural differences that it is hardest to get my head around

"Die for your TPS reports" might as well be written into our Constitution.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

I would love to see mask use while sick and WFH while sick become absolutely standard but I know even if they stick for a year it's gonna fade and we'll be back on our regular bullshit

at Microsoft I think there has been a real permanent change in favor of working from home. At least in finally breaking some of the older middle management who thought that people aren't really working if they aren't in the office.

But people gotta have their socialized childcare (if kids happen to learn while at childcare this is tolerable side effect) and are going to be sending sick kids to school no matter what. So I'm gonna get it from my kids no matter what the office is like.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Everybody but the bosses know working when you are sick is bad but good luck convincing them or getting them to not violate any laws saying employees can stay home when sick

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Considering the nature of the job I'm p sure there's more cops who've been pissed on than not

Certainly every cop car in the world has been urinated in at some point or other

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Got my bill today for the ambulance ride- originally 800, I'm responsible for 125

since this happened less than a month ago, this is some kind of medical billing land speed record, and also I'm really grateful for a sane total bill amount

Dude my wife was out of the hospital less than 8 weeks ago and some of the $5 and $10 lab charges sent us a "second notice"

I can't fucking pay these things fast enough. Medical Billing is on point right now.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Some white collar professionals might see change but for the majorty of work a day schlubs its going to go right back to how it was because it was that way for a reason to begin with

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    lol stuck in bk drive thru because point of sales system crashed
    I will die here
    Goodbye cruel world

Bless your heart.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    I need to have a conversation with work about whether they are actually going to require people to work from the office or not, and if so, how much

Bearing in mind that the answer determines whether or not I sell my house

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    We started watching a show where people “get married” to someone they’ve never met before, they get matched by experts.

It’s so good.

I cried like a gallon of cringe tears like really cried and had to look away it’s simply too cringy.

PSN: Honkalot
    My taxes paid for that show and I’m happy

Point of sales is POS amirite

my job is unionized and it's strictly if you're sick you're not working

even after being here for over a year, with a pandemic on top of it all, it's difficult to get out of the mindset of justifying taking off sick, catching up on work, general feelings of guilt

i don't see workplaces that are forced to give workers sick time off making any long-term changes

Honk wrote: »
    Point of sales is POS amirite

Brought to you by Windows XP

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Couscous wrote: »

God, I hate when people people are like, "I don't care if it is fake. It is funny." Then why pretend it is real!

Because it reinforces feelings about their worldview. It's not true but it feels true, and then you add that onto the occasional real stories that fit the narrative and the narrative is now always true.

If you're not already subscribing to that worldview that the fake story is promoting than it's usually not funny.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
This discussion has been closed.