As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's 2022 but [Snugglehug] never changes nsf56k

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Peeing outside the litterbox could be stress, could be a reaction to illness. Google results think you should see a vet if you can but I dunno how reliable that is.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    He pees on the bed because he's peed on the bed before, probably. If it's the same mattress and/or bedding, I don't think there's much you can do to get rid of the detectable smell for the cat.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    He pees on the bed because he's peed on the bed before, probably. If it's the same mattress and/or bedding, I don't think there's much you can do to get rid of the detectable smell for the cat.

You can put a litterbox in your bedroom, that can help a lot to give him an acceptable place to use the bathroom.. There are some sprays that can neutralize the previous urine smell too, which will help him. Another thing is to put things on your bed while he is in the room, so he can't get up on it to use it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I have a cat that pees inappropriately and haven't yet worked out how to make her stop. Though the anti-anxiety meds have made her less manic overall.

Thank God Cassandra doesn't pee on our bed, though. Bed is a really specific place and it seems like Duck wants his smell there, do you have bedding that smells like him that you can place where he normally pees? That might help.

The regular things that are suggested when a cat is peeing inappropriately are:
    - make sure they have enough litter boxes. Put a litter box in the room (NOT on the bed) so he has a place to go
    - try feelaway in areas where your cat seems to get stressed. Feelaway comes in both spray form and in a wall insert.
    - have vet run tests to verify no urinary issues
    - if there are fixable stress vectors, fix them. Ex: if a stray cat outside causes your cat to react, try cat deterrents to keep them away.

None of these worked for our Cassandra, but they are worth trying.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I'm worried part of his stress is the upstairs neighbors fighting and pounding irregularly.

Nothing I can do about that.

But yeah I wanna try something to help sooth him. He doesn't like the Anxiety pills they tried on him so they were hard to give him but they helped a little I think.

I definitely need to get him some blood work done though.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I'm worried part of his stress is the upstairs neighbors fighting and pounding irregularly.

Nothing I can do about that.

But yeah I wanna try something to help sooth him. He doesn't like the Anxiety pills they tried on him so they were hard to give him but they helped a little I think.

I definitely need to get him some blood work done though.

Re: anxiety pills, did you put them in pill pockets? Cassandra loves pill pockets so much she doesn't even care about the pill-center.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    every animal I've ever tried to use pill pockets on has figured it out within 2-4 pills and refuses them after that :( I am unskilled at pill pocket delivery or something.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    When I give pills to Taliskitty I find them up and mix them with these creamy meaty snack tubes, like a sort of meat yoghurt

She scarfs them down without hesitation

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    every animal I've ever tried to use pill pockets on has figured it out within 2-4 pills and refuses them after that :( I am unskilled at pill pocket delivery or something.

I have 2 cats who will eat pill pockets without hesitation, and one who won't even eat empty pill pockets now that he knows we sometimes hide things in them (even though I know he likes the taste).

Although back when we did have to give him medicine, what I found is that he instantly would recognize the smell on the exterior of the bill pocket if I touched the medicine before enclosing it. So I had a whole operation with tweezers where I would carefully put the pill inside, making sure not to hit any external part of the pill pockets, then close it up with clean hands. He ate the entire course of pills using that method.

Which makes me wonder if my other attempts to feed him empty pill pockets have only failed because of a smell on my hands that was transferred to the treat that made him balk? I'll have to wash my hands thoroughly next time I try.

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    IM BABY TOO!

XcSycr9.jpg

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    It finally happened: I went to put away the cats at the end of the night and I was one short. The center's not that big and I thought I had found all of their hidey-holes but apparently not.

Of course the guy that came in this morning found her snoozing cheerfully in her room. She's lucky that she's cute

9Y6B8lB.jpg

"You guys are seeing this thing, right? Its not just me?" -Alpaca, probably

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

the problem is that a lot of pills are bitter and cats actually chew their food

dogs are a lot easier, you can stick a pill in some soft cheese and they'll generally scarf it so fast they barely have time to taste it

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

56cnjjs.png

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Are those lil baby emus that corgo is playing with?

Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Are those lil baby emus that corgo is playing with?
    I dont know how old they are but yes those are Emu.

emus are almost as big as ostriches so yes those are babbis

BahamutZERO.gif
    I cant be sure that someone isnt trying to breed small emus somewhere.

Or developing some sort of emu shrink ray.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Or a giant Corgi?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    That corgi is in for a rude awakening if he ever meets a full grown emu.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

"Mom says its my turn to play the xbox"

U0C0I6X.jpg

Bedlam wrote: »

is this an orangutan child?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    It is a golden snub-nosed monkey.

more like the adorable monkey

BahamutZERO.gif
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    How was it not named the skull face monkey

Vetra and Liam are being adopted tomorrow. I'm so happy for them, as well as relieved and pleased they'll go together so they have companionship. But just now I thought I lost Vetra's paperwork and had a panic attack. And at the moment I have no idea where Cora's stuff is, which shouldn't matter since she isn't on the list to be adopted, but I can't quire stop panicking.

Bedlam wrote: »

is this an orangutan child?
    Thats Warwick Davis practicing for his next role.

Hes method.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I got duck a feliway diffuser and some new toys.

He was having so much fun with the toys it took him a while to notice the scent from the diffuser.

He seems curious about it but not upset. I hope it helps with his anxiety.

Liam and Vetra were adopted yesterday. We sent the adopter with thier cat cave, a wand toy, Liam's favorite crocheted toy, and a few other crocheted toys.

Unexpectedly, Cora has become a lot more cuddly with me since they left. Which is good since I plan to cuddle her within an inch of her life now that her siblings are gone.

You whattup Im H.R. Pupperstuff and welcome to MTV cribs:

Birb chooses chaos:

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Slightly sad thoughts below, so spoilering them!
    I wonder if I will ever get used to the happy melancholia of fostering and then adopting out cats. I've always known that loving a pet means choosing a setup where you're guaranteed to feel deeply sad in the future, since we outlive them most of the time. I thought I could handle fostering because as a child my parents never spayed our cats, so they would get pregnant every so often, we'd love the kittens while they were with us then give them away. I can't remember sparing a thought for those kittens after they left our hands, which seems so odd to me now. I guess it helps that I didn't feel any responsibility for them back then, I was just a kid who pet them and played with them when I wasn't in school, the rest of what happened to them was up to my parents. It's still weird to think how little I worried about those little fluffballs, especially versus how much I worry about my foster kitties now. I guess another different thing is that we had those cats for 6 months instead of the 10 weeks or so between when a cat is born to when it's weaned, so I suppose that's a factor, too.

The thing is, the potential adopters are well vetted, and the final say on whether to let them adopt or not goes to us. I feel strongly that the guy who adopted the two of them will do well, they'll have a loving home all their lives and they'll have the individual focus they deserve instead of being lost among the crowd of cats we would have had if we kept them. They're in a good place! But I can't stop thinking about their last day here, how Vetra would let me hug her for 20 minutes, purring up a storm, then Liam wanted a turn for 20 minutes, then Vetra again - it was like that all day with them! That will be my treasured memory of my last day with them, but right now it just makes me cry thinking that as the last time I'll see them in person.

Cora, meanwhile, has either changed a lot or is having an adjusting period since she's alone in her room now. She allows me to hug her while purring, something she has never allowed before. She would allow me to rub her belly while lying down and would eventually start purring softly from that, but if I picked her up before she would just tolerate it and eventually climb down. Now she gives me the loud purrs of complete approval. She also has demanded (via loud meowing) I come into the room to give her cuddles a couple of times. I did open the door to let her come out and explore, but she just stood at the threshold of my office for a few minutes, then eventually went back into her room (and started loudly meowing at me). I guess she has to adjust to exploring without her more bold siblings, but at the moment I'm not even sure she's interested.

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
This discussion has been closed.