As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Streaming Services] Cable Television for the Internet Age

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Eh, not feeling Loki. It feels like a good example of hitting that wall where comics can show anything a good artist can create, but you try and put that into a show with a budget and you get this weird attempt of trying to be quirky like She-Hulk's interaction with the time bureaucracy and the actual result here where it's trying to draw inspiration from Brazil.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    "I am smart"
    "I know"

Owen Wilson somehow managed to say volumes about both his character and this show in that line reading. I love it.

Yeah that line read was the most patronizing and informative.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    According to this, more households watched Godzilla vs Kong on HBO Max in its first 5 days than watched Wonder Woman 1984 in its first 7 days:

Has HBO shown what they consider a "watch" and is it something ridiculously low like Netflix does

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Ok I'm down for the Loki Show. Tom Hiddleston and Owen Wilson playing off each other should lead to a good time, and I'm far more interested for the more fantastical elements of the MCU currently versus the more mundane like Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Has HBO shown what they consider a "watch" and is it something ridiculously low like Netflix does

They actually just use 100 customers and extrapolate from there.

Just like Nielsen!

Nothing. Matters.
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Borgen series 3 really feels like the product of an unwanted extension. The first two were excellent and then there's just this mess that is so hard to care about.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    We've been watching the Great British Baking show for something in the background, and it's been pretty enjoyable.

Great British Baking Show is like, prime 2nd monitor material.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Same with Repair Shop.

Though I do wish they didn't cut out as much footage if the actual repair. I'd gleefully watch several hours of that.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Same with Repair Shop.

Though I do wish they didn't cut out as much footage if the actual repair. I'd gleefully watch several hours of that.

I bet there's probably repair channels on Twitch or something for that. I know some people do crafts and woodworking and stuff like that on there.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Same with Repair Shop.

I bet there's probably repair channels on Twitch or something for that. I know some people do crafts and woodworking and stuff like that on there.

There is a mechanic shop on twitch that you can just watch them fixing up cars. Can't recall the channel.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    We're watching Servant on Apple+. It's pretty good. Was trying way too hard for the first episode or two but then calmed down with the every shot is framed for drama and discomfort and got better. I had no idea what to expect out of it beyond knowing Stephen King said it was one of the best things currently airing. If that intruiges you at all I'd recommend going into it blind. It's only like 20 half hour episodes so you can easily binge it all within the Apple+ free trial.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    Picked up the novelization for Godzilla vs Kong today. For those curious, the first 32 pages take place before the events at the beginning of the movie. I'm curious to see what other differences there are when I have time to read more.

Just started Made for Love. Pretty on the nose for them to name the evil tech corporation Gogol.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Finished Superstore, pilot to finale, in just under four weeks.

Haven't spent as much time with them as some of you, but I'm going to miss the show.

When I heard Ferrera wasn't in it for the entire run, I was kinda sad, but she's only gone for a comparative handful of episodes, due to delaying her departure, and then bringing her back to wrap it up.

I loved when Sandra was authoritative (especially when she's unsure of where the line is), and was really surprised at how much I didn't hate her "son" storyline.

My one main issue with the finale, is that Marcus, Justine, Shannon, Lou and Sandra (who are even those last three?) are chosen to go into Fulfillment with Dina.

WHERE THE FUCK IS BRETT? The most consistently competent employee throughout the entire series. I mean, sure, he won't shut up, but them not recruiting him for that job? Massive failure.
    That Brett speaks only two words for the entire run, and one of them is bleeped for being an obscenity, remained my favorite running joke of the series.

I understand the position that Mateo is in at the end, but him working there? With all the flannel and denim that he's likely to see on a daily basis? Yeah, can't see that working out, even with Cheyenne being there too.

Overall, a satisfactory ending. Much more than I'd expect for a sitcom half hour.

To those who recommended it, thank you.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I watched Invincible today on recommendation from the thread and I still wasn't prepared. Like "oh this isn't bad at all, I enjoy this show quite a bit" to after credit episode one "WHOA WHAT THE FUCK?!"

Good shit.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Watched the first episode of Zerozerozero on Amazon, so far good drug crime drama spanning Italy, Mexico, and America. High production values, feels like what Ozark should have been in seasons 2 and 3 with the expanded trade. It has Mandy from Mandy and Gabirel Byrne and Dane Dehaan for the American side of the story. I'm hoping it's just six episodes and done but nothing can ever just be a classy one and done season these days and would rather go on and fall apart than be contained and praised.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Preacher wrote: »
    Same with Repair Shop.

There is a mechanic shop on twitch that you can just watch them fixing up cars. Can't recall the channel.

I just stumbled across Simone Giertz on YouTube. She's an engineer who builds cool stuff. She turned a Tesla into a pickup, made a 6' pair of functional scissors, made a special seat for her three legged dog so he could sit next to her while she works, and just generally makes awesome shit.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Same with Repair Shop.

I just stumbled across Simone Giertz on YouTube. She's an engineer who builds cool stuff. She turned a Tesla into a pickup, made a 6' pair of functional scissors, made a special seat for her three legged dog so he could sit next to her while she works, and just generally makes awesome shit.

Simone is fucking awesome. Her truck is what I want a Tesla truck to be. I first heard about her when she was collaborating with Adam Savage back when she still lived in the Bay area. She's got some great videos in the back catalog, a few rough ones too, she had a brain tumor a couple years ago and had to deal with all of that.

Her old moniker was "The Queen of Shitty Machines".

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    She also recently overcame having a HUGE brain tumor and went through the process with so much grace that it was inspiring.

She was also campaigning hard to be one of the civilians on the first public space flight. She is very cool.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Same with Repair Shop.

Simone is fucking awesome. Her truck is what I want a Tesla truck to be. I first heard about her when she was collaborating with Adam Savage back when she still lived in the Bay area. She's got some great videos in the back catalog, a few rough ones too, she had a brain tumor a couple years ago and had to deal with all of that.

Her old moniker was "The Queen of Shitty Machines".

This old video of hers is a classic:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh2-iJj3dI0

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I feel a bit bad, but I'm totally enjoying the Prank Encounters show for an unintended reason.

Whenever they are ready to reveal the prank, it's the kid from Stranger Things who is the revealer/appearance that's supposed to make you go " ohh I know them , something must be up!"

but maybe 5% of people recognize him, so there are these amazing awkward moments as he like just stands there waiting for them seeing his face to do something, before finally having to explain what's going on.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Woah I didn't realize HBO max has Pom Poko. Maybe with luck it'll get a physical release here.

Actually looks like Shout Factory got the rights to it at some point, ok then make a steelbook guys..

Local H Jay on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I had never heard of Pom Polo before, and so far it's just delightfully hilarious.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    When you watch a show on the Roku channel and pause it gives you a little side advertising graphic.

Like, yeah I just paused Sliders and you know what, yes I would like a cherry coke.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    Netflix signed a streaming deal with Sony to go into effect next year, giving them an 18 month hold on movies as they leave theaters, as well as right of first refusal for some VOD stuff and access to Sony's back catalog for stocking the library. Netflix did a good thing!

Sony can thank Spider-Man for that deal

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Sony still makes movies?

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I watched the first episode of this Dark show and it is throwing a lot of mysteries and strange occurrences at me. If I get invested, is there a payoff or do I get jerked around like what Lost did to me?

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I watched the first episode of this Dark show and it is throwing a lot of mysteries and strange occurrences at me. If I get invested, is there a payoff or do I get jerked around like what Lost did to me?

I haven't finished the third (and final) season yet but it has always been delivering on some things even as it introduces others.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

It's worth watching.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

It's a complete story

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Third season is a drop in quality in my opinion but everything important gets resolved. You might need a spreadsheet or Google some overviews though. Although not having to wait a year between seasons makes rendering things easier, probably.

Oh, and people say the dub is shit and if you want English you should go with ov and subs.

honovere on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Definitely subs for Dark, and the payoff is satisfying even if the third season is a slight dip in quality.

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

To quote homer Simpson, "Everything is wrapped up in a nice, neat package !"

It's amazing, stick with it, it all makes sense in the end.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Every time I see Gilmore Girls on Netflix I find myself thinking "Oh, yeah, that'd be a good background show to put on!" and then I remember there's seven seasons and a frankly kinda weird eighth season and find something else.

Every time I see Gilmore Girls on Netflix I find myself thinking "Oh, yeah, that'd be a good background show to put on!" and then I remember there's seven seasons and a frankly kinda weird eighth season and find something else.

Gilmore Girls is what you'd get if you let The CW make a tv show but got Aaron Sorkin to write, like, one character per episode.

I'm so confused how New Mutants ended up on HBO Max when literally every other X-movie is on D+

I'm so confused how New Mutants ended up on HBO Max when literally every other X-movie is on D+

HBO Max seems to have gotten the contract for "We wanted to release this in theaters but theaters don't exist so please give us a pile of money" movies. D+ only gets "new release" movies if they think they can charge $30 rental fees and actually make money on it.

edited April 2021
    It got a theater release... A year ago

Ah it was a licensing deal made before Fox got carved up for dinner
    https://collider.com/the-new-mutants-streaming-where-to-watch-hbo-max/

Local H Jay on
This discussion has been closed.