As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

RIP DMX

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »

I don't know what happens in half this video because I am too busy looking for the Demo man, it's great

Also aside from the absolute bangers he made and that one video of "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" my favorite bit about DMX is the 2008 XXL interview where he declares he isn't aware of presidental candidate Barack Obama but he's for sure that "Ain't no ****'s name". It tickles me to this day

I remember when that first clip was made, and seeing a few different people attempt to do the whole song in that style.

I am happy with the end result.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    some real bill murray shit right there

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    DMX was violently homophobic, and also allegedly ran dog fighting rings

At least Reagan is still dead

You must be real fun at funerals

Blue ocean biz idea here,

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I'll always remember the day he randomly bought someone's school shoes up here in Maine:

https://www.newscentermaine.com/article/life/people/maine-dmx-shoes-maine-mall-journeys/97-c89424af-b278-4fc9-aa35-21b26c20da73

I know that his stuff definitely has some content that's troubling, but he seemed like a very genuinely caring guy. Also, I love the scene in Like Mike that uses Party Up.

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Yeah rap was really homophobic back then but in "Where The Hood At" X talks about not wanting to shake the hand of somebody who has ever engaged in gay sex. That's not casual homophobia, using gay as an insult etc. That's some David Duke level bigotry.

Then again I also watched this part and thus listened to DMX daily for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HkXyGhqEIM

So, I guess the moral of the story is that DMX had some bangers and don't idolize people just because they're really really good at growling.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    DMX was violently homophobic, and also allegedly ran dog fighting rings

At least Reagan is still dead

You must be real fun at funerals
    People are allowed to not like bigots even at the time of their death.

And also if the dog fighting shit is true, fuck that and fuck DMX. Animal cruelty is awful.

Good for people finding wholesome snippits of the guy but that doesn't actually absolve him of perpetuating hate against people.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I love how people are condemning a dead man for a thing that might have happened maybe

gotta love a black celebrity who grew up in an insanely horrific situation and tried to help people despite being a flawed person but I heard maybe a thing happened so fuck him and fuck you for liking him

I love how the second a black celebrity dies we rush to point out their flaws

I heard George floyd did drugs yall he was no angel

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Henroid was warned for this.
    I love how people are condemning a dead man for a thing that might have happened maybe

gotta love a black celebrity who grew up in an insanely horrific situation and tried to help people despite being a flawed person but I heard maybe a thing happened so fuck him and fuck you for liking him

First of all we literally have a thread celebrating the death of Rush Limbaugh and now one of the royals because fuck monarchies. You'll notice these assholes are white.

Secondly homophobia is shit and it was in DMX's music. Grow up.

DJ Eebs on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Comparing people criticizing DMX for homophobia and dogfighting to justifying the murder of George Floyd seems really uncharitable.

DMX was a fucking complicated dude. He did a lot of good shit, and also definitely said some extremely vile stuff, and very probably did some unconscionable shit as well. All of that is fair game to discuss. Let's all give each other a break.

Henroid wrote: »

First of all we literally have a thread celebrating the death of Rush Limbaugh and now one of the royals because fuck monarchies. You'll notice these assholes are white.

Extremely childish to not view things in complete absolutes, yes you got me

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group

No what was childish is you trying to make it a race thing. Help yourself to a juice box on the way out from this lame ass dodge.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    yeah you're right I should just forget about how DMX wrote songs in which he talks about how my sexuality is Wrong

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I think it's fine that people point out and acknowledge the shitty aspects of his life and work, but it doesn't seem to me like reductionism is all that useful in a case like DMX. He wasn't, like, a politically powerful figure who made a career leveraging hatred. His art is a reflection of his background and experience it deserves to be grappled with in its complex entirety.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me

No what was childish is you trying to make it a race thing. Help yourself to a juice box on the way out from this lame ass dodge.

I dont really think you know what childish means

I'm not gonna celebrate his death or anything, but saying you can't point out how he contributed to a culture that harms people like me because of the specter of racism is extremely unfair to other marginalized populations.

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not gonna dance on his grave like Rush, but I'll agree with the above comment that it's a shame that he didn't have 30 more years to become a better person.

Yeah I'm not saying it's party time but it's also fair game for people to go "I didn't like him because x." They've been mild-mannered about it too. Coming down on people for being the target of negativity (putting that lightly) is a bad look.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I listened to a lot of DMX today.

Man did he have a lot of bangers

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    If you're wondering how to feel about DMX and his very problematic views and actions maybe this video of him reacting to a laptop like a 17th century Mennonite will clear things up for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPYbDdxBTwo

Some people get famous and become permanently encased in the culture they first became famous in. DMX for better and worse was like a time traveler from the year 1996.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I do this thing where I take the temperature of a thread and then react accordingly. If I don't like the person who died and the thread is positive I fuck off and post my shit on twitter or shove it to the back of my brain and let it go.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think it's fair to have issues with DMX

But I don't think the thread where people are mourning his death is really the place to hash them out

It feels pretty fucking ghoulish

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    If people are reflecting on a thing sometimes it is ok to not have to say things.

Sometimes it may even be ideal!

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Hey how's everyone feel about Micheal Jackson these days?

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I fucking love beat it.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

I think DMX is a complicated dude who came from nightmarish circumstances and managed to bring some positivity to the world while being much more open about his flaws than many people of his generation. He encouraged treatment and growth (if still flawed in HOW he delivered said encouragement), and that's all cool.

I say all that as preamble to make clear that I'm not a, like, impartial participant in this conversation.

But jeez o'golly is it rough to read the phrase "make it a race thing" in a thread on these forums.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    in my opinion the only people it's worth shit talking when they die are people whom i would actively take the opportunity to piss on the grave on should it arrive

No Piss No Post

liEt3nH.png
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    You absolutely do not need to pick a fight in any thread, let alone a memorial thread. And let's be clear: it's fine to discuss a dead person's problematic past. It's not fine to start calling each other children.

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I think none of us really know celebrities and parasocial eulogies are kind of weird in general

I can't really judge, but I understand how conflict can develop

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    The direct violence X brought on people is at a bare minimum a partial reflection of the direct violence done to him by his background and compounded the indirect violence done to many marginalised populations by the state and by the structures that exist to maintain economic inequalities for black people

This doesn't justify anything he had done but is more texture we need to consider when judging his art, as opposed to someone like Kobe Bryant, who was born in to privilege outside of those power structures and still leaves behind a complicated legacy because of a choice to do direct violence

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

just remembered DMX was scheduled to fight George Zimmerman in a boxing match in 2014 but Zimmerman cancelled after DMX gave this quote to TMZ

EykIXoNWEAYuWk8?format=png&name=small

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Shit, I would have paid good money to see DMX fuck up George Zimmerman and the rules of boxing.

Fuck off and die.
    Zimmerman wasn't going to box anyone, the guy is a fucking wuss. But yeah I would've loved to see that.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Shit, I would have paid good money to see DMX fuck up George Zimmerman and the rules of boxing.

so would DMX, it seems

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular

What do you mean by “a thing that might have happened maybe” or “I heard maybe a thing happened”?

The dude’s homophobia isn’t some hidden secret.

Read the lyrics to Where the Hood At sometime.

Like a lot of people have said, he’s a complicated person with a very rough past.

But like, you are kinda minimizing the feelings of people that don’t like being targeted by hateful lyrics and that kinda sucks man.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

What do you mean by “a thing that might have happened maybe” or “I heard maybe a thing happened”?

The dude’s homophobia isn’t some hidden secret.

Read the lyrics to Where the Hood At sometime.

Like a lot of people have said, he’s a complicated person with a very rough past.

But like, you are kinda minimizing the feelings of people that don’t like being targeted by hateful lyrics and that kinda sucks man.

He was referring to the dog fighting allegations, which are unsupported by anything and are a go-to attack on certain types of black masc folks from "wrong" backgrounds