As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Yesterday, The Troubles Seemed So Far Away

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    The absolute worst shower of bastards imaginable
    What a ridiculous over reaction this all is. Sure dedicate one TV and one Radio channel to it for the people who are moved by the man passing, but this kind of enforced blanket coverage is disconcertingly odd. I maintain my right to be entirely indifferent to this news beyond the brief sympathy I’d have for the family of anyone who had passed on of natural causes at a significantly advanced age.
    I mean what’s the appropriate response to when your very racist grandpa dies in their 90s?

Mine was a moment of silence and a smothered breakfast burrito, and asking my dad if he was ok while he too was eating a smothered burrito.

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    zepherin wrote: »
    What a ridiculous over reaction this all is. Sure dedicate one TV and one Radio channel to it for the people who are moved by the man passing, but this kind of enforced blanket coverage is disconcertingly odd. I maintain my right to be entirely indifferent to this news beyond the brief sympathy I’d have for the family of anyone who had passed on of natural causes at a significantly advanced age.
    I mean what’s the appropriate response to when your very racist grandpa dies in their 90s?

Mine was a moment of silence and a smothered breakfast burrito, and asking my dad if he was ok while he too was eating a smothered burrito.

We don’t really do breakfast burritos in the UK, so I guess the only option is the wall to wall media coverage thing

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    pezgen wrote: »

We don’t really do breakfast burritos in the UK, so I guess the only option is the wall to wall media coverage thing

Speak for yourself.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Wetherspoons do a breakfast burrito

Luckily the pubs are opening soon

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Apparently the BBC has suspended all non-news programming?

That seems over the top

It's insane. All radio is either endlessly recycled tribute guff or vaguely mournful music.

What is going to happen when the Queen dies?

Ten thousand wailing widows will parade past Westminster Abbey screeching despair at the sky, followed by every media journalist performatively tearing their clothes off and writhing in agony live on air. Buckingham Palace will be flattened and replaced with a four kilometre high pyramid to contain the Golden Throne which she shall rule from in perpetuity as the Forever Queen. A selection of one hundred of her most devoted servants will be afforded the honour of being buried alive in the pyramid to continue their service to her in Valhalla. Every year until the end of time devoted acolytes will be sacrificed atop the pyramid to maintain the soul beacon so that the Queens vigil over the British people may never end.

Also Line of Duty will be cancelled that day for news coverage.

Better that than King Charles III

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Wetherspoons do a breakfast burrito

Luckily the pubs are opening soon

I refuse to give Tim Martin another penny.

• Options

Get some pork green chili and start up a burrito stand. I think the UK is ready for it. It's pub compatible, and they have variants where they put the chili inside the tortilla for portability.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    To be fair, I'm a little
    Casual wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Apparently the BBC has suspended all non-news programming?

That seems over the top

It's insane. All radio is either endlessly recycled tribute guff or vaguely mournful music.

What is going to happen when the Queen dies?

Ten thousand wailing widows will parade past Westminster Abbey screeching despair at the sky, followed by every media journalist performatively tearing their clothes off and writing in agony live on air. Buckingham palace will be flattened and replaced with a four kilometre high pyramid to contain the Golden Throne which she shall rule from in perpetuity as the Forever Queen. A selection of one hundred of her most devoted servants will be afforded the honour of being buried alive in the pyramid to continue their service to her in Valhalla. Every year until the end of time devoted acolytes will be sacrificed atop the pyramid to maintain the soul beacon so that the Queens vigil over the British people may never end.

Also Line of Duty will be cancelled that day for news coverage.

And the Daily Mail will say that Meghan was far too emotional/nowhere near emotional enough [delete as applicable]

Honestly, probably both.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    So awesome

Get some pork green chili and start up a burrito stand. I think the UK is ready for it. It's pub compatible, and they have variants where they put the chili inside the tortilla for portability.

going to have to give it a different name though, can't be serving foreign stuff, rah rah sovrinteh rah rah.

I dislike the royals and find it hard to believe that they have so much support that it warrants shutting down all english media to show highlight and ass kissing reels.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    The Queen's death and the events that follow will be a once in a generation event that'll be super fucking bizarre. Like, there is no-one in authority now that had any real experience in what happens so it'll be surreal as fuck to go through as a nation.

This is pretty much the practice run for it.

It's going to be like waking up to find you are living in a parallel universe I reckon, probably the opposite of the day after the referendum result. Half the population is going to be going around completely gut punched, and the other half will be surprised that so many people they know actually cared about this.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I mean the Queen mother died in recent memory so you have a template. Albeit she wasn't Queen at the time.

• Options
    evilthecat wrote: »

going to have to give it a different name though, can't be serving foreign stuff, rah rah sovrinteh rah rah.

I dislike the royals and find it hard to believe that they have so much support that it warrants shutting down all english media to show highlight and ass kissing reels.
    A Breakfast royal wrap with Pork Monarchy sauce.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    FYI, as is their normal practice when receiving large volumes of complaints about the same thing, the BBC has set up a dedicated page on which to submit complaints:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/death-duke-of-edinburgh-tv-coverage/#/Notification

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    A moment of silence for all of our British friends that must now live with non-stop coverage of Phillip kicking it up until the moment the last pile of dirt is shoveled upon his grave.

Trace on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    FYI, as is their normal practice when receiving large volumes of complaints about the same thing, the BBC has set up a dedicated page on which to submit complaints:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/death-duke-of-edinburgh-tv-coverage/#/Notification

Being pissed off at cancelled TV and radio does seem to be the primary public sentiment I'm picking up on this momentous national occasion. I get the feeling that's the only way he was getting any emotion out of most.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I for one am indeed slightly narked that House of Games wasn't on tonight.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I have added my email to that pile, not because I actually wanted to watch say..I dunno, Masterchef? but because jettisoning 2 and half channels for no news is taking the piss

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Christ, they're still at it

I thought they might at least have taken a few minutes for the news at ten to talk about literally anything else but apparently not

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Christ, they're still at it

I thought they might at least have taken a few minutes for the news at ten to talk about literally anything else but apparently not

Well let's be fair, it's not like that's anything else of particular import going on in the country or in the world.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Even the die hard monarchists at work think it's all a bit much.

When the Queen dies I'm gonna go to my in laws in Ireland for a couple of weeks...

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I guess my main beef with it is that they already have a 24/7 news channel they can dedicate to this.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I guess my main beef with it is that they already have a 24/7 news channel they can dedicate to this.

I wouldn't even be as cross if it was just BBC1 because the news channel pre-empts that for literally every other "large event" (it shouldn't but that's another issue) but papering over the other channels as well is bullshit. At least maintain some illusion of choice of programming for your license payers. It's compounded by the fact that the "developing coverage" is the same stuff thats been going round and round since about 2pm, there's only so many times I can hear Nicholas Witchell scramble through his thesaurus before I start climbing the walls and that happened by about 3 .

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    If you're looking for some light relief from the Royal Deathathon, the Northern Independence Party, aka the whippet-in-the-logo corbynite crank party founded by a university lecturer who lives in fucking Brighton, have failed to get themselves properly registered with the Electoral Commission in time for the Hartlepool election, and have decided to go with "Being able to fill in political party application forms correctly by the required deadline is bourgeois, Neil, everyone knows that" as their defence:

"Unlike us, centrists are good at managing things, navigating bureaucracy, doing paperwork, organising things and all sorts of boring stuff like that. Now who do you want running the country, them or us? Oh. Really?"

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The Brighton angle is doing me a befuddlement

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Fucksake.

• Options
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Even the die hard monarchists at work think it's all a bit much.

When the Queen dies I'm gonna go to my in laws in Ireland for a couple of weeks...
    Come to New York and go to a drag show that week. I can almost guarantee you will see the most fabulous female impersonators just taking the piss out of the queen.

• Options
    If there is anything the constant coverage to and from work has taught me, is that he really didn't want people to make a big fuss when he died.
    And was apparently somewhat grateful that Covid rules meant that it would only be a small funeral.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular

See also this attempt to dunk on Keir Starmer, in which they depict their candidate, a Mancunian standing in Hartlepool, as talking like a Geordie.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    The Mancunian Candidate? That sounds vaguely familiar...

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    The Mancunian Candidate? That sounds vaguely familiar...

Just happenstance, I'm pretty sure she's not a communis-hmm wait a second.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I'm already getting tired of all the hot takes that everyone is constantly spewing out. Like the amount of hatred people have for this old guy is astounding. I mean, he was a Prince Consort, he had even less power than the queen, and that's not saying much.

Like I totally understand the man said some really crappy shit, but his negative impact on the world is far less than.... Margaret Thatcher.

That being said, the constant coverage on the news is pretty crappy, for a guy that really hadn't made the headlines for anything noteworthy for decades.

When I was a kid, I asked my parents who Queen Elizabeth was married to, because she had all these kids, so she must have a husband.
    "Prince Philip", they responded. And for a while, because I Prince=Son of the King/Queen, I thought she was married to her own SON.

...which seeing how the Royal Family worked....is not that much of a stretch.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    All radio stations are now rebroadcasting 5 live. This is the greatest punishment so far

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    I'm already getting tired of all the hot takes that everyone is constantly spewing out. Like the amount of hatred people have for this old guy is astounding. I mean, he was a Prince Consort, he had even less power than the queen, and that's not saying much.

Like I totally understand the man said some really crappy shit, but his negative impact on the world is far less than.... Margaret Thatcher.

For one: he had a lot of his influence taken away from him over his lifetime. The monarchy in the 50s is a different beast than what they are now. Some of the early scandals are the direct result of him abusing his power for personal gain.

Secondly: his old boys network is an incredibly chummy lobbyist organization with very direct tires to the government. If you hate lobbyists then you might as well hate this one.

But yes, people who are spilling their bile now are a bit out of it. His heydays were long behind him and everyone who hated him has had plenty of time to air that and work towards dragging him further away from influence. Makes one look like a vile person to start about how much you hated him now.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I expect most of the bile isn't even directed at the man per se, but (1) the whole outdated, parasitic institution and (2) the endlessly repeated coverage on every channel driving out all other content and/or entertainment.

• Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    So awesome

See also this attempt to dunk on Keir Starmer, in which they depict their candidate, a Mancunian standing in Hartlepool, as talking like a Geordie.

For me, the part that oversteps from cringe to outright insulting about this lot is their focus on depicting the North as some homogenous 'Northumbrian' land, astro-turfing all the local variations and identities. I'm from County Durham; whilst its more similar to Northumberland than it is to say, Kent, its still a different place who's inhabitants wouldn't thank you for confusing them with the geordies, mackems or tykes.

They're the kind of people who'd spend an age picking out just the right flat cap to wear to the café.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Not owning a telly really pays off at times like these

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Radio 6 is back but with a weird cropped schedule and no chit chat, just sad music

I feel like such measures are probably appropriate for if there was an unexpected nuclear war and not much else

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    I have heard the coverage is a throwback to when the Queen Mum died. That there where broadcasters on the BBC that raked over the coals for not having black ties on and such things. ¨

Considering how tetchy brits can get over the poppy I can believe it. Especially once you consider the Diana debacle, where the tabloids dragged the Queen over not having her flag at half mast to distract from the fact that their Papparazzi photogs caused her death. Like nobody is doing anything that could leave them open for a Daily Mail headline.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    A moment of silence for all of our British friends that must now live with non-stop coverage of Phillip kicking it up until the moment the last pile of dirt is shoveled upon his grave.

I'm already annoyed by the amount of coverage this gets in German media, can't even imagine the toll it must take on you Brits. Godspeed.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Dunking on an ancient white privileged guy who was a bit racist is the easiest way to accumulate those all important edgy but righteous online points. I’ve seen that telegram joke about fifty times now.

The coverage has been ridiculously over the top but predictable given the current flag shagger atmosphere the government has created.

This discussion has been closed.