As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

19495969798100»

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Update on the mouse thing; I tried the mouse for barely an hour in Windows / typical browser shit, and my hand and wrist ache in the same way as if I had been playing Diablo 2 (a game that really exasperates the whole "tore my wrist internally" thing). Didn't even make it to MWO to test using it there, I already have it packed up and registered to be returned and refunded.

Playing MWO with a regular mouse wasn't hurting me or anything. The buttons are shitty so I need to fix / replace that much. But this was a pro-active "for my health" thing and it backfired tremendously.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    So, this came up in the SE++ Anime thread:

Funimation wrote:
    Big West Officially Recognizes Macross License By Harmony Gold

Snippet from the article:
    Funimation wrote:
    Today, Big West and Harmony Gold announced that previous conflict over the Macross and Robotech series has been resolved, with Big West acknowledging the proper licensing of the series by Harmony Gold, and Harmony Gold recognizing the Macross spin-offs that Big West has produced since the series’ initial release.

TLDR is that Big West recognizes Harmony Gold's rights to the original Macross series and Macross: DYRL movie. While good for Macross fans as it will allow for distribution of the rest of the Macross franchise in the US, I wonder what implications this has for the unseen designs, as I think this gives Harmony Gold unambiguous legal rights to them now.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    5V desperately needs more hard points. I think the standard is either two MPL or two ERML.

There’s one unit that tries to run 4 of them at a time in FP Conquest which is a pain, but it’s like the only real reason right now to have one.

The burn time and cooldown is so short that a single Large of some sort can actually pump out a surprising amount of damage. And when all you have is a single laser you dont want anyone getting close.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

Funimation wrote:

Funimation wrote:
    Today, Big West and Harmony Gold announced that previous conflict over the Macross and Robotech series has been resolved, with Big West acknowledging the proper licensing of the series by Harmony Gold, and Harmony Gold recognizing the Macross spin-offs that Big West has produced since the series’ initial release.

TLDR is that Big West recognizes Harmony Gold's rights to the original Macross series and Macross: DYRL movie. While good for Macross fans as it will allow for distribution of the rest of the Macross franchise in the US, I wonder what implications this has for the unseen designs, as I think this gives Harmony Gold unambiguous legal rights to them now.

De re un seen

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Unseen is already done no? All of the Unseen designs have been reworked by Catalyst, PGI, and Harebrained, and when HG tried going after PGI and Harebrained they ended up settling with neither company needing to change a single thing.

Unless I’m misremembering how that lawsuit went?

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular

Funimation wrote:

Funimation wrote:

It gives HG nothing, as far as I can see regarding Battletech. The outcome of the recent failed lawsuit, and the mass reworking of the artwork line CGL has undertaken, puts daylight between what PGI/HBS/CGL are doing and what HG has.

Let 'em fuck off, and never disturb us again.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

Funimation wrote:

Funimation wrote:

It gives HG nothing, as far as I can see regarding Battletech. The outcome of the recent failed lawsuit, and the mass reworking of the artwork line CGL has undertaken, puts daylight between what PGI/HBS/CGL are doing and what HG has.

Let 'em fuck off, and never disturb us again.

I just thought of something much worse than HG... Big West getting into the mix outside of the USA. *shudders*

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I was going to say, wasn't Harmony Gold the bad guys during all this? Does this mean this decades old drama is fucking over finally?

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I was going to say, wasn't Harmony Gold the bad guys during all this? Does this mean this decades old drama is fucking over finally?

I think so!

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    It's always been my understanding that Harmony Gold are basically IP squatters of legendarily epic stubborness and persistence.

If they put half the effort into making good new material as they did into trying to sue people, Macross would be a worldwide fucking franchise the size of Star Wars or something. The "best" thing I thing I can remember coming from them in ages was a tediously teen-oriented remake of the Macross story, with loads of shitty fanservice shots and some new bug race thrown in for no apparent reason. And that's from several years back.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »

In regards to Macross it was a whole lot of "bad guys". Harmony Gold was the pain in the rear over here in the US while Big West became the "bad guy" over in Japan/outside of the US.
    It's always been my understanding that Harmony Gold are basically IP squatters of legendarily epic stubborness and persistence.

If they put half the effort into making good new material as they did into trying to sue people, Macross would be a worldwide fucking franchise the size of Star Wars or something. The "best" thing I thing I can remember coming from them in ages was a tediously teen-oriented remake of the Macross story, with loads of shitty fanservice shots and some new bug race thrown in for no apparent reason. And that's from several years back.

Are you thinking of Macross Frontier and Delta which is in Japan and done by Big West? Oh wait, you talking about Shadow Chronicles? Although I don't remember that being fan serivce or teen-oriented. The most recent things HG has done with the license (besides making and then remaking a miniatures game) is the new comic series and the "in development hell" movie.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I really want a friend of mine to be able to watch Frontier and Zero. As an oldschool anime fan I bet he would get a kick out of them, but since he is moral to a fault he refuses to watch unlicensed works. He'll finally have a legal and moral way to do so I hope!

• Options
    Yeah I can’t in good conscience buy anything Robotech or Macross related because of my feelings toward HG.

Which is a shame because I loved Robotech as a kid.

• Options
    Yeah I can’t in good conscience buy anything Robotech or Macross related because of my feelings toward HG.

Which is a shame because I loved Robotech as a kid.

I have a love/hate relationship with Harmony Gold. Love that they brought Macross here for us to watch and get addicted to them (and had some really cool toys growing up), then hated when they went troll and ruined a bunch of stuff (Battletech, later Macross stuff, etc.). It seems that the newer group running them are much better at settling and looking at what they own can make them money rather than blocking stuff and making even more enemies in their small section of the universe.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Sometimes you get the bear.

And sometimes the bear gets you.

bvBMQPZ.png

By "bear" I mean of course "unexpected King Crab on a three star battle misison." Rough mission.

I am enjoying this career a lot so far because for the first time in ages I'm playing with salvaged mechs coming with their full loadout. So I'm actually playing stock loadouts sometimes, which is a neat twist. I have a second Marauder and a stock Thunderbolt I haven't reconfigured, yet, so I'm playing with that Enforcer because I didn't want to take a jumpjet-less mech on a jungle biome map.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »
    Sometimes you get the bear.

And sometimes the bear gets you.

bvBMQPZ.png

By "bear" I mean of course "unexpected King Crab on a three star battle misison." Rough mission.

I am enjoying this career a lot so far because for the first time in ages I'm playing with salvaged mechs coming with their full loadout. So I'm actually playing stock loadouts sometimes, which is a neat twist. I have a second Marauder and a stock Thunderbolt I haven't reconfigured, yet, so I'm playing with that Enforcer because I didn't want to take a jumpjet-less mech on a jungle biome map.

That is rough, but at least the pilots made it out of there alive.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    I really want a friend of mine to be able to watch Frontier and Zero. As an oldschool anime fan I bet he would get a kick out of them, but since he is moral to a fault he refuses to watch unlicensed works. He'll finally have a legal and moral way to do so I hope!

The VF-25 Armored and the Konig Monster are two of my favorite Mecha designs of all time.

• Options
    I was a huge fan of all of the destroids, and the Monster stood on top of that particular hill.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Nothing says mecha like a walking battleship with 4 16” guns as its primary armament!

Orca on
  • Options
    I, for one, think the Monster looks stupid A-F.

It's mostly the legs. How the fuck does that thing actually move? Goddamn clown shoes, that one.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    From what I just read, the mechs that were looking at getting arm armor back were the two Jenners, the Jager, Stalker, and Cicada, not the Catapult.

They are not supposed to lose any torso armor either (getting it back via quirks?) but that was pushed back to the May patch.

• Options
    The free mech for April is a MCII-B

Which is a pretty damn good assault with a few good builds (most common being 2xUAC/5, 2xUAC/10).

• Options
    edited April 2021

It's mostly the legs. How the fuck does that thing actually move? Goddamn clown shoes, that one.

The Macross Frontier version I think had wheels in the feet

Why did it have feet then you ask?

Stop asking stupid questions! It's a shuttle that can transform into a huge fucking mecha! We don't need answers, we just look cool! :cool:

Orca on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Orca wrote: »

The Macross Frontier version I think had wheels in the feet

Why did it have feet then you ask?

Stop asking stupid questions! It's a shuttle that can transform into a huge fucking mecha! We don't need answers, we just look cool! :cool:

I seem to remember going through character creation with the Robotech TT RPG and reading all the mecha descriptions. If I'm remembering right, the Monster, while it did have legs, didn't actually use them to walk. Along the soles of the 'feet,' it was actually tracked.

EDIT - and yes, I just checked the Macross Mecha Manual wiki page, and while it says "The Monster was envisioned as a trackless, self-propelled heavy weapon system to be utilized for attack and point defense"...well, visions change. I mean, either that or the TT RPG wasn't 100% official and some liberties were taken.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

As you would expect, it's slow as hell, and does damage to the outer hull of most warships its deployed on. That's beside the point.

It's entire purpose is mobile artillery, not ship-to-ship combat. The Konig is more maneuverable, but the Monster is the mech you bring in when you want to launch a barrage of nuclear shells and cruise missiles and wipe out a few thousand strike craft, or an enemy space battleship. It rides on whatever you want to augment the firepower of. It's not made to duke it out with a few paltry mechs.

In Battletech terms, it's more of a nuclear Urbie in role than an Assault mech. It's designed to kill everything on the battlefield, and it doesn't really discriminately.

"If you don't want to die, get out of my way." - Standard Monster pilot refrain.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options

As you would expect, it's slow as hell, and does damage to the outer hull of most warships its deployed on. That's beside the point.

It's entire purpose is mobile artillery, not ship-to-ship combat. The Konig is more maneuverable, but the Monster is the mech you bring in when you want to launch a barrage of nuclear shells and cruise missiles and wipe out a few thousand strike craft, or an enemy space battleship. It rides on whatever you want to augment the firepower of. It's not made to duke it out with a few paltry mechs.

In Battletech terms, it's more of a nuclear Urbie in role than an Assault mech. It's designed to kill everything on the battlefield, and it doesn't really discriminately.

"If you don't want to die, get out of my way." - Standard Monster pilot refrain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfpxki_7ocE

• Options
    100 pages of good ol' Oosik content. I wonder how we'll christen the next thread iteration.

• Options
    King Monster don't play

• Options
    Damn, that snuck up on me.

I'll kick the next thread out of the dropship tomorrow morning.

• Options

Insert Steiner scout joke here.

• Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73zK-PjmyKY

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    From what I just read, the mechs that were looking at getting arm armor back were the two Jenners, the Jager, Stalker, and Cicada, not the Catapult.

They are not supposed to lose any torso armor either (getting it back via quirks?) but that was pushed back to the May patch.
    ...those mechs have arms?

• Options

Which is a pretty damn good assault with a few good builds (most common being 2xUAC/5, 2xUAC/10).

Like, from a challenge?
    I've been meaning to get an MCII, because I see them everywhere, and free is good for assaults because I hate playing them.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »

...those mechs have arms?

They start the match with arms, if anybody looks at them funny, well...
    monkeykins wrote: »

Like, from a challenge?
    I've been meaning to get an MCII, because I see them everywhere, and free is good for assaults because I hate playing them.

Yeah, it’s the reward from the big April challenge. There’s a side one that’s skippable where you have to take each of the trials out and you get some MC and a pattern.

• Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Playin the huntsman today, figured I should get in some matches while C-ERppcs are still busted as fuck. Feels pretty broken lol.

Edit: Also yo if anyone wants to get some group games in this weekend @ me on here or like PM me or something.

RawrBear on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Yeah, it’s the reward from the big April challenge. There’s a side one that’s skippable where you have to take each of the trials out and you get some MC and a pattern.

"Skippable" and "challenge" and "pattern" does not compute.

monkeykins on
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    monkeykins wrote: »

"Skippable" and "challenge" and "pattern" does not compute.

Seems pretty easy it's just like, 1 kill or kmmd with each trial mech. The last one that was like "Shoot down a billion UAVs for the pattern" was kinda hellish.

• Options
    And two free colors, and they are purples, none of that black "tacticool" nomsense?! I must be dreaming!

• Options
    Dear Oosik Friends!

The jump route to our new LZ has been established!

This thread has been designated Dezgra, and will be subject to Reaving in short order.