As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Battletech] New KS - 23 Mar!

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    For those that aren't Official Board members, I grabbed one of the images.

Like I said: Daaamn.
    mlIEs5n.jpg

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    For those that aren't Official Board members, I grabbed one of the images.

Like I said: Daaamn.
    mlIEs5n.jpg

I really like the look of it.

Thanks! I couldn't remember my login for the forum and just gave up.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Ahhhh. After a few weeks break (due to RPG sessions demanding my attention), Operation Build All The Mechs is back on track.

Finished this up today; A Malak, to go along with Daddy Bear Archangel and Big Brother Preta:

uGr84Eih.jpg

I'm a little miffed because my new pinning drill bits are turning out to be kinda shite, putting a crimp in my pinning lifestyle, but it was a wash here anyway because the parts of the Malak are pretty thin to try and pin anyway. Commercial-grade superglue will have to do (and more or less has, in the past).

Next up I'm going to turn one of these (plastic models):
    s-l300.jpg

With some creative 3D modeling, printing, cutting, and reassembly, into this:
    QKD-8X-Quickdraw.jpg?timestamp=20100706193456

Which only involves...modeling a replacement (series of) right arm(s), remodeling the torso, removing the head, adding a head-turret...

Remind me again why I hate myself so much?

On the upside, I've also managed to get the painting juices moving again, and I'm nearly done with a Jaguar Star; just need to add the basing material. Along with a special project! Shhh! It's a secret!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    In other news, Whoops I stumbled across yet another bespoke Mech vendor.

https://www.clanfox.com/shop

Only four sculpts, and the priciest ones are awfully pricey, but they've definitely got a style and they Not Bad to look at.

• TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    Ahhhh. After a few weeks break (due to RPG sessions demanding my attention), Operation Build All The Mechs is back on track.

Finished this up today; A Malak, to go along with Daddy Bear Archangel and Big Brother Preta:

uGr84Eih.jpg

I'm a little miffed because my new pinning drill bits are turning out to be kinda shite, putting a crimp in my pinning lifestyle, but it was a wash here anyway because the parts of the Malak are pretty thin to try and pin anyway. Commercial-grade superglue will have to do (and more or less has, in the past).

Next up I'm going to turn one of these (plastic models):
    s-l300.jpg

With some creative 3D modeling, printing, cutting, and reassembly, into this:
    QKD-8X-Quickdraw.jpg?timestamp=20100706193456

Which only involves...modeling a replacement (series of) right arm(s), remodeling the torso, removing the head, adding a head-turret...

Remind me again why I hate myself so much?

On the upside, I've also managed to get the painting juices moving again, and I'm nearly done with a Jaguar Star; just need to add the basing material. Along with a special project! Shhh! It's a secret!

I love the use of leftover veritech heads as greebles...

l7n41RV.png
    WYSIWYG Beagle Probe and ECM!

I don't always care to care about WYSIWYG, but when I do it usually involves antennas and warfare electronics.

edited March 2021
    Huzzah and hooray! My long fever-induced nightmare is over, and my Smoke Jaguar Alpha Galaxy Star is painted.

JkpTeYxh.jpg

mn19hjMh.jpg

Some of you with a keen eye may notice this Star isn't exactly towing the typical Clan ToE party line...

Nips on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Hahaha! Smoked Jaguar.

They look real nice. Though I'm pretty sure applying those spots is considered inhumane torture in some regions. I can feel my teeth itch just thinking about it.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Four mechs and a point of protomechs doesn't seem that weird for a Jaguar star.

That Ebon Jag is huge, but the weird Marauder IIC seems close enough (it's taller than the Dire Wolf, but a lot more gangly).

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Update #163:
    all Wave 2 materials that made it into production before CNY are on target to be finished by the end of this month. That's great! This will allow freight to happen in April and 90% of our Wave 2 fulfillment to start roughly in that May/June timeframe we hoped for back in January.

There were a few items that did not get fully started, mostly items that needed extra stock after the Wave 1 shipping process. These are only running a few weeks behind. Not great, but good. And we won't be letting them hold up the majority of Wave 2!

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I love how relaxed the Dire Wolf looks. The arms down, looks like it's leaning up against a (heavily reinforced) building, just needs to take a few minutes for a smoke, then it's right back to stomping.

Introducing the Ferrous Fellows. This mercenary unit sporting a heavy lance that specializes in direct and indirect fire support. Currently stationed on Novo Franklin and tasked to hunt down pirates from the Tortuga Dominions. Earlier tours with House Davion ended early when the unit had to disband and reregister with the MRCB with the new name.

bg2xotdh.png

Terran intellectual property laws are no joke.

l7n41RV.png
    As a sucker for headcanon I must say, magnifico. I love all of it!

/applaud

• Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Finally starting to print some mechs on my photon. Printing on their backs with heaps of supports I'm churning out ~4 mechs a run.

The only resin I was able to get in a decent quantity is this god awful translucent green though - looks fucking atrocious until the primer goes on.

edited March 2021
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    Finally starting to print some mechs on my photon. Printing on their backs with heaps of supports I'm churning out ~4 mechs a run.

The only resin I was able to get in a decent quantity is this god awful translucent green though - looks fucking atrocious until the primer goes on.

Could you call them ghosts since they are translucent? Would be cool to have a ghost Lance.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Cobalt60 wrote: »

If you think the translucent green is bad to look at, try the white.

As can be evidently seen in most of my pictures, you can't fucking see anything on it until it's primed or covered by something. I actually almost wish I had gotten translucent green instead of white, but I didn't have the option when I was buying stuff on sale.

Even more sadly, once I'm out of white I'm left with black, and I'm pretty sure I'll still not be able to take a decent photo of the raw prints without priming them first.

edited March 2021
    Some say the Spectral Lance are the spirits of dead SLDF Mechwarriors who were gunned downed by their Rim World “allies”. Cursed to forever haunt battlefields in their unending quest for revenge. On still nights, if you listen close and are unlucky, you can hear their unearthly howls, “hE wEArS a FUcKinG Biiiiiiiib!

Axen on
    ***** Incoming Transmission ******

> From: The Oosik Irregulars - Clandestine Logistical Concerns Department
    > To: Betsuni
    > Location: REDACTED
    > Subject: Fw: REDACTED
    >
    >
    > The Oosik Irregulars Clandestine Logistical Concerns Department has authorized a hardware drop. Prepare for Drop Pod at REDACTED on REDACTED.

****** Transmission End ******

So there I was, enjoying my day scouting for the Oosiks when I get an incoming message. Who could this be at this hour? *Checks phone* Paper Pusher @Nips ? I need to respond to his inquiry.

A few days later and I find a Drop Pod on my doorstep (and when I say Drop Pod, it is a Drop Pod). I wonder what the postal system thinks of them being used as a Jump Ship for the Oosiks? Anyways, I open it up and to my amazement he has shipped me my own professionally painted Urbanmech! Not only that, but in colors that I liked (which was in a previous vague communications message that I forgot about)! This is way too cool and awesome for me. I can't thank him enough for this generosity and class! So this is me, thanking you @Nips for your generosity and coolness. I'm speechless and really can't say anything else but thank you. I also wanted to share photos I took of the Urbie to share with you all (and gush about it).
    CHECK OUT THE AWESOMENESS OF NIPS!!! I love the colors! Green is for me and my wife is purple so I chose those two colors when Nips asked me what are my favorite colors. I seriously can't believe the detail work he did on it! I have this thing in my hand and still can't believe how cool it looks. The highlights, the cockpit glass/viewports, the details, the Oosik logo, and the fine handiwork on the weapons. So much awesomeness. Did I mention I love the cannon arm? I love it! This thing is so danged detailed I can't even believe it. I can't wait to get my map mats and get a game going to pilot it. I didn't take a photo to show how small this guy really is. The thing is a bit bigger than a quarter.

Nips_Oosik_Urbanmech_01.jpg

Nips_Oosik_Urbanmech_02.jpg

Nips_Oosik_Urbanmech_03.jpg

Nips_Oosik_Urbanmech_04.jpg

Nips_Oosik_Urbanmech_05.jpg

oosik_betsuni.png
    Not unlike Jem, that Urbie is truly, truly, truly outrageous!

FYI to y'all: IWM just announced that they'll be raising prices on April 7th.

https://ironwindmetals.com/index.php/10-factory-news/126-important-product-announcement

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Beat me by 20 minutes, Axen. :P

What is this I don't even.
    Another day, another stumbled-upon Mech purveyor.

Red Line is technically a card game, I guess, but the company produces a model line to compliment it. I dunno, I just look for Stompy bots; most of them are a little bit goofy looking, but the Migidae looks like it would fit right in alongside Battletech figures.

https://www.redlinegame.com/redline-miniatures/

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

Red Line is technically a card game, I guess, but the company produces a model line to compliment it. I dunno, I just look for Stompy bots; most of them are a little bit goofy looking, but the Migidae looks like it would fit right in alongside Battletech figures.

2xLRM-10, 2xLRM-5. Probably 2xMGuns and looks like 2x some kind of AC, but those also could be 4 lasers, 2xML and 2xSL. Interesting Catapult variant.

The Rabbit could be a Locust IIC with 2xSRM-6 and 2xMGuns. That's a ton over the loadout in the standard variant, but the standard variant also doesn't have an XL engine

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    edited April 2021
    Reinforcements inbound!

This is Silvio Santi here with Montefeltro Radio News bringing you your daily war update.

The Compagnia da Montefeltro 5th Lance have quit their long term Contract with Gilmour MilTech and are making full speed for the Clanner Front! Compagnia 5th Lance Capo, Capitano Rachele De Laurentiis, said that their redeployment had been delayed do to needing a suitable Mercenary Company replacement to take over their contract in order to avoid any black marks on their MRB record. When asked if any other Compagnia elements were likewise readying to redeploy to the front Capitano De Laurentiis responded with, "No comment."

The Compagnia 5th Lance will not be alone as the famous Carabinieri 3rd Cavalleria, the "Centauri", have likewise been sent to the Clanner Front. The Centauri gained their fame during the war with the Greater Valkyrate back in '31. During the war the Centauri became famous for their rapid spear tipped assaults against pirate strongholds and became notable experts in anti-mech operations.

Both units will be joining the Militari Uniti del Montefeltro, which includes the Carabinieri 1st Harquebusiers and the Montefeltro da Compagnia 1st Lance. The Militari is currently under the command of the Carabinieri's own Colonnello Giovanni Cadorna; himself a decorated Carabinieri Veteran of the War of '31 and past Capo of the now legendary Compagnia 2nd Lance.

Together with our FedCom allies they shall take part in the continued operations against the Jade Falcon clan.

I think I speak for all of us here at Montefeltro Radio News when I say, give those Clanner bastards hell boys and girls!

I'm Silvio Santi and this has been your Montefeltro Radio News daily war update brought to you by Franco Industrie (Imagining the future) and De Luca Motori (Moving your world since 2810).

Axen on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

You seen the Reaper CAV minis? They are a bit bigger than battletech ones are but look really nice and also have good aerospace and tank options.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!

You seen the Reaper CAV minis? They are a bit bigger than battletech ones are but look really nice and also have good aerospace and tank options.

Oh, I've seen them. The "problem" with them insofar as Battletech is concerned is that the line is 10mm scale. Next to the 6mm (nominally) BT 'mechs, the CAV figures tend to look anywhere from big to overlarge.

They're nice designs (most of them, anyway), but I'd have a hard time transliterating them into anything but assaults, even standing next to the new resculpts.

Ok, this wasn't super hard, and I got it done in short order, but fucking god damnit I hate stupid exposed missile tips.

fSTlYSVl.jpg

While I wait for things to dry, some random thoughts.

In my head I imagine Compagnia Mechwarriors serve for roughly 2 years then rotate home-side and serve with the Carabinieri for 4. Then they rotate back to the Compagnia. This is to give everyone field (and possibly combat) experience, but also to give Montefeltro Mechwarriors a chance to live a life and have a family. Family being an important part of Montefeltro culture.

My entire company of Carabinieri (that's three full Lances) is still roughly 1k BV short of my Clan Iron Oosik Star (which is very much on the lighter side of weight). Goddamn Clanners and their bullshit Clan Coyote space magic.

In my headcanon I upgraded Montefeltro from a single planet micro-nation to a single system micro-nation. They seem to have their shit together so I didn't see any reason why they wouldn't be able to make full use of their Home System. Of course now I have a whole thing about their Great Reclamation and how they slowly took back control of their Home System from Pirates, Warlords and other ne'er-do-wells. Culminating in the Battle of Amaris XXIV, which was a small moon in system that was originally a RWR military training center/fortress that the SLDF kicked over allowing great Warlords and Pirate Kings to fill the vacuum.

Flechs Sheets is friggin awesome.

Somewhere in the Inner Sphere an ill wind blows.

edited April 2021
    This is Silvio Santi here with Montefeltro Radio News bringing you your daily war update.

Compagnia da Montefeltro 5th Lance and the Carabinieri 3rd Cavalleria arrived on Sudeten to join the Montefeltro Militari under the supreme command of FedCom's Morgan Hasek-Davion, Marshal of the Armies.
    While details of their upcoming operations are of course classified, the men and women of Montefeltro are said to be in high spirits. Ready to avenge their fallen comrades.

We here at Montefeltro Radio News wish them Godspeed!

I'm Silvio Santi and this has been your daily war update brought to you by Stella Aeronautica (Nothing is out of reach) and Missaglias Armatura (When it's worth protecting).

Pw7xrg5.jpg
    Compagnia da Montefeltro 5th Lance. Going clockwise starting on the left- Valkyrie VLK-QA, Catapult CPLT-K2, Archer ARC-2R, Stinger STG-3G

cgEqC4H.jpg
    Carabinieri 3rd Cavalleria. Starting at the top and going down- Sparviero Light Scout VTOL, Hetzer, Hunter Light Support Tank, Lupo Wheeled Assault Vehicle (Scorpion stand in)

Axen on
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Mama mia!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Whoa. Okay, so, I was doing my daily thing of idly flipping through Facebook Battletech groups (I think I'm in like, five now?) looking at pretty pictures, and stumbled across a different group dedicated solely to 3D Printing Battletech miniatures. There is a member there that compiled a complete database of available 3D models out on the internet, post-Purge. It's...a lot.

https://na3.ragic.com/ffolcore

You need to know how to finagle the UI a bit, but most of it is pretty self-evident. It's absolutely wild how much is still out there; it seems the Purge didn't really have all that much of a lasting effect. How could it, really? This is the internet, after all.

Whoa. Okay, so, I was doing my daily thing of idly flipping through Facebook Battletech groups (I think I'm in like, five now?) looking at pretty pictures, and stumbled across a different group dedicated solely to 3D Printing Battletech miniatures. There is a member there that compiled a complete database of available 3D models out on the internet, post-Purge. It's...a lot.

https://na3.ragic.com/ffolcore

You need to know how to finagle the UI a bit, but most of it is pretty self-evident. It's absolutely wild how much is still out there; it seems the Purge didn't really have all that much of a lasting effect. How could it, really? This is the internet, after all.

Man, I'm bookmarking this now, but should go download as many as I can before another purge comes through. I did also notice that there is another site that still has the Synology (sp) models up.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited April 2021
    I guess the Shrapnel magazine(?), digest(?), whatever has done well.

Second year of em had been confirmed.

Edit- they’re quite good by the by.

edit 2- The stories are a pretty good spread of stuff and times. Two in particular I enjoyed:

One story involved colonists working for the Star League Department of Communications in the deep Deep Periphery. One day a bunch of badly dressed weirdos show up talking about Bondsman and Honor and Kerensky. The colonists were all *cock shotgun* "Get the fuck out" and chased them off.

The other was more "present day" (ie: about as recent in the timeline as it can be) and involved the last member of the Cameron Dynasty, a computer programmer in the FedSuns. However before a TV show could bring him in for an interview he suddenly and very unexpectedly "took a vacation" to the Draconis Combine. Which is a storyline I kinda really hope they run with.

Axen on
    We truly live in the stupidest timeline:
    Hey Backers!
    Back before CNY, we were down to a single factory that blew their schedule and did not deliver. At that time, they promised that it would all be done right after CNY, and no later than 3/31. Some of you may recall us saying that we wouldn't be holding our breath, guessed at the new over/under to be 4/15, but we'd stay on top of them to deliver asap.

Well, they finished it. It was ready to ship as of 3/30.

Anyone read about the ship that got stuck in the Suez Canal?

Yep! China giveth back, and worldwide shipping crisis taketh away. Our 3/31 shipping date was cancelled out from underneath us, and we were rolled back to 4/6...4/12...4/26... While all other product is on the water and getting close to the final port of call, we are still trying to get the 15 final Forcepacks out of China.

As of this morning, the shipping company is promising 5/1. There is not a thing we can do but wait.

Assuming 5/1 happens, that puts product into the final hub around 6/10. That's for the US. If our intl hubs get their final shipments in early, we will start processing and fulfilling their orders asap.

Thinking happy thoughts...

• Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    I'm going to end up printing copies of all the mechs I've ordered before they arrive at this rate.

Supply chains are LosTech.

l7n41RV.png
    More proof that Clantech is cursed.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    That was very cool, thanks for linking it.

Some slight pedantry about neurohelmets: in the cgi video Axen linked above ("Hired Steel"), they seem a little too sleek and convenient, imho. Like, I'm onboard with the general trend in modern Battletech adaptations to move away from the old colossal neurohelms that had to perch on the mechwarrior's shoulders due to sheer weight, and thus prevented them from being able to turn their head. But it doesn't seem to fit the setting's general aesthetics to have something thinner and lighter than you'd see in a Gundam show. Like Gundam Wing is pretty super robot, and IIRC the Zero system (a pilot to computer interface) required a helmet to be worn, but as 'hi-tech' as that setting was, their neurohelmet-equivalent still looked more like something you'd see in Halo rather than an X-Wing pilot's helmet. Besides, the neurohelmet isn't just for the brain-scan, otherwise they could just wear an electrode mesh or have hairclips like in Evangelion; mechwarriors' helmets are also meant to protect their heads from banging against the inside of a cockpit, but that Locust pilot's helmet seems about as thin as a stahlhelm (which were meant to protect from shrapnel, not cranial impacts).

The animatic Siliconstew linked, "Mechwarrior: Bulldogs", has an odd moment where (very, very minor spoiler)
    the locust's mechwarrior takes hers off while still piloting. Which, I get why; it was a cool dramatic flourish in the moment. But I thought that without a helmet she wouldn't be able to keep it upright?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png