As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Panic Of The Satanic Variety

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2021 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Panic Of The Satanic Variety

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    The Devil went out of their way to send you the gleaming stripper pole, and get hell all fixed up for guests, it's only polite to throw the Devil a bone, but only if you want too.

• GrendusGrendus Registered User regular
    I still don't get the panic over the whole thing. Like there hasn't been sacrilegious imagery in mainstream media since the dawn of media. The whole point of parenting is to... shock... teach your kids how to navigate popular culture so they can recognize things like symbolism and imagery and hyperbole and shit.

And as one person said "if you think Lil Nas X will turn your kids gay, couldn't you just show them WAP to turn them straight again? Because apparently in your world that's how it works."

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I feel like the people who are upset by such things aren't really any good at parenting in the first place, so that tracks

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Ringo wrote: »
    I feel like the people who are upset by such things aren't really any good at parenting in the first place, so that tracks

I have news for you: nobody is good at parenting. It's a total shitshow. It's like trying to carry an egg in a spoon, except for you're doing it for about two decades.

Yes, there are undeniably awful parents out there. The rest of us are trying to just get by. So while I'll shake my head at some of these people's beliefs, I won't cast stones on their parenting when they're doing the best they fucking can.

(I say this as someone whose mom would be horrified by the devil's footwear, but who is the kindest, most generous and tolerant person I've ever met. She was a fantastic parent, and I continue to try to live up to her example when parenting my children.)

dennis on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Every generation rolls their eyes at the previous one while worrying about how the next one will turn out
    Socrates wrote:
    The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Man, those kids from B.C. Greece sound like total dicks.

• MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Every generation rolls their eyes at the previous one while worrying about how the next one will turn out
    Socrates wrote:
    The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

It appears that quote didn't come from Socrates, but hey, I bet adults were probably disappointed in the younger generation from time to time even back in Ancient Greece.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/01/misbehave/

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    MarcinMN wrote: »
    Socrates wrote:

It appears that quote didn't come from Socrates, but hey, I bet adults were probably disappointed in the younger generation from time to time even back in Ancient Greece.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/01/misbehave/
    We do have Hesiods "Works and days" where he speaks of the current age as the Iron age (the worst era)
    Hesiod wrote:
    Thereafter, would that I were not among the men of the fifth generation, but either had died before or been born afterwards. For now truly is a race of iron, and men never rest from labour and sorrow by day, and from perishing by night; and the gods shall lay sore trouble upon them. But, notwithstanding, even these shall have some good mingled with their evils. And Zeus will destroy this race of mortal men also when they come to have grey hair on the temples at their birth. The father will not agree with his children, nor the children with their father, nor guest with his host, nor comrade with comrade; nor will brother be dear to brother as aforetime. Men will dishonour their parents as they grow quickly old, and will carp at them, chiding them with bitter words, hard-hearted they, not knowing the fear of the gods. They will not repay their aged parents the cost their nurture, for might shall be their right: and one man will sack another's city. There will be no favour for the man who keeps his oath or for the just or for the good; but rather men will praise the evil-doer and his violent dealing. Strength will be right and reverence will cease to be; and the wicked will hurt the worthy man, speaking false words against him, and will swear an oath upon them. Envy, foul-mouthed, delighting in evil, with scowling face, will go along with wretched men one and all. And then Aidos and Nemesis [shame of wrongdoing and indignation against the wrongdoer], with their sweet forms wrapped in white robes, will go from the wide-pathed earth and forsake mankind to join the company of the deathless gods: and bitter sorrows will be left for mortal men, and there will be no help against evil.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Tycho shouldn't be too surprised, lots of people picked up new hobbies during the pandemic.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • NashKnightNashKnight Registered User regular
    You too? Stop making stupid people famous. Just ignore it, and it will go away.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Lil Nas was very much already famous. And the video is great, as an aside.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Also after the shit that the industry and Billboard pulled in particular with him, I'm willing to give him a pass.

Seems to be enjoying himself and not a POS either. Can't say i follow him or anyone very close so could certainly be wrong on that count.

• Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    NashKnight wrote: »
    You too? Stop making stupid people famous. Just ignore it, and it will go away.

Why would anyone want it to go away? The song and video are both dope.