As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Top Grand Gear Tour Thread: Diddly Squat Farm now open for Season 2

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    May is an interesting guy. For a dude who waxes on the proper way to do things and that every tool has a particular role it was legitimately shocking to see him use that slap chop thing instead of properly chopping onions.

He also, however, seems to love random tools, so giving him an excuse to use random single use tools in a kitchen also seems like he'll just enjoy trying things

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/USzFmRbRQGQ

About damn time!

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    That looks like some solid content there.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Why is the thumbnail 2 pictures of Clarkson side by side?

• Options
    Hydropolo wrote: »
    Why is the thumbnail 2 pictures of Clarkson side by side?

i assume that because the second one has more hair it's his post-Covid look

• Options
    In a more serious response, it could be very good to see Clarkson arguing with the victims of climate change over how he doesn't think cars have any responsibility towards climate change

• Options
    In a more serious response, it could be very good to see Clarkson arguing with the victims of climate change over how he doesn't think cars have any responsibility towards climate change

Honestly, I find his stance so cringey, and with his attitude, I'm not sure I would find his interactions with the victims as anything but. That being said, there is some hope to see farmers/etc (this is a US perspective, so gimme it) actually acknowledging it.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Jezza's Farm is a go, someone confirm that the color is duller and more matted than the usual GT stuff or if it's my Apple TV being le stupid with HDR.

edit: 30 minutes in this feels like the most true to what Clarkson's style compared to the other presenters style, Wrecking Ball's island stuff or May's Japan series and even his cooking one. And Jeremy's accountant/land guy should be in Paddington 3 as just this earnest patient gentle man.

edit edit: it was HDR being a little bitch, now it looks stunning with the farm and the greens.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    I think a vault dweller bought one of Clarkson's potatoes

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I thought Clarkson had packed in the climate change denial stuff in more recent years?

• Options
    Man this series is great!
    Love British Boomhower

• Options
    Casual wrote: »
    I thought Clarkson had packed in the climate change denial stuff in more recent years?

As with everyone on any kind of media it's hard to tell where the character ends and the real person begins.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Clarkson has changed his mind on all of that, but he's still Clarkson. Case in point, he loses a field of crop because of a beetle infestation (the crop was planted the previous year, not during the show). Naturally, he asks the very patient and helpful guy guiding him through all of this "why did I lose this crop and the money from it to a bunch of beetles?", then whines about EU laws making it illegal to use pesticide-laced seeds.

Basically, it took him about five seconds to jump immediately into being another asshole farmer who thinks they live in a vacuum and it's totally fine to fuck everything inside and outside their land if it ever slightly threatens what they raise. So instead of asking why the pesticide was banned and understanding the damage it caused, he moans how bureaucracy killed his crop.

I'm enjoying the show, though, I think the experience is proving educational for Clarkson and I always enjoy shows like this where you learn along with the cast how to do things. I particularly enjoyed Clarkson's interview of his 21-year-old tractor driver, who raises livestock and has a side business with his own equipment and drives tractors for farmers. Clarkson is floored at how much the guy has done, then the guy further blows Clarkson's mind by proceeding to rattle off the name and location of several of the plots on Clarkson's land (the driver has worked the plots the last couple of years).

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Kaleb is the best part of this whole content mill by far.

Also farming is really complicated and I'm glad I don't do it.

EDIT: okay after finding the first episode it's both insulting and completely understandable that he has no idea who actually farmed his land.

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    My understanding, and bear in mind, it's based on nothing more than about 10 words, is he leased the fields to some guy who ran his own farming outfit, not that it was a business that Clarkson owned and someone just managed, which then would make absolute sense.

I do love people's in general sense in that village of "Oh... it's fucking Clarkson....."

• Options
    I was genuinly expecting this Clarkson farming show to be crap because, let's be fair, almost everything those three do outside of TG/TGT lacks the magic factor they have working together with that team. The first episode is a pretty strong start though, I'm actually entertained! I'm also learning things I didn't know about farming as a life long country boy.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    This is the best show of the year so far across all channels, up to episode three and it seems like he’s actually trying and I appreciate how it shows how hard rural life and farming can be so all the tik tokking avacado on toast eaters can see they aren’t just bumpkins. Reject TOWIE, embrace Kaleb.

Darrell (British boomhauer) just makes me smile every time he talks

• Options
    I just thought if you have this guy driving all over your land you probably should know the guys name?

• Options
    I just thought if you have this guy driving all over your land you probably should know the guys name?

Not to make it a thing, I meant it was probably more like when a landowner leases a warehouse building to another company, he doesn't know the forklift drivers usually. It's not like this is your half acre somewhere, these farms are huge. Clarkson probably didn't spend a lot of time around the fields themselves most of the time.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Kaleb also wasn't the farmer that Clarkson hired, Kaleb was the tractor driver that the retired farmer subcontracted work to. I know the shipping folks I deal with at work, I have no idea who takes packages from them or their boss.

Plus, Clarkson is normally away from home a bunch and that property is pretty big. Not knowing anybody but the farmer he used to hire doesn't surprise me in the slightest, since he possibly has only ever seen Kaleb from a distance.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Casual wrote: »
    I was genuinly expecting this Clarkson farming show to be crap because, let's be fair, almost everything those three do outside of TG/TGT lacks the magic factor they have working together with that team. The first episode is a pretty strong start though, I'm actually entertained! I'm also learning things I didn't know about farming as a life long country boy.

Nah, almost everything Hammond does outside of TG/GT is crap, the other two have consistently great content.
    Clarkson doesn't do a lot of his own shows, just guest stars and hosts tv shows and James amazes the public by making watching paint dry riveting entertainment.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    That is Clarkson's farmer union rep? Dang.

• Options
    Word to the wise, don't watch episode 5 while eating dinner.

• Options
    Also "old men that plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit are suckers. Just buy some 40 yeast old trees and sod those ungrateful millennials"
    -Clarkson

• Options
    Clarkson is peak Boomer, and the show rakes him over the coals for it.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It's nice to see that every time he goes "I'm Jeremy Clarkson and of course I know better than all these folks.", he totally ruins everything and people tell him what an idiot he is.

• Options
    Ye I read a piece about the show on the guardian where they shredded the show for propogating all of Clarksons stereotype terrible views, and I thought "uhhhh did you actually watch the show before writing the review?".

It all came across to me as a pretty heartfelt journey of a bumbling old fool having his bad opinions challenged at every opportunity and in the end coming to the right conclusions. I ended up shotgunning the entire show in a day and really enjoyed it. It's the usual "ambitious but rubbish" Clarkson schtick but felt like it had a bit of heart behind it too. Easily one of the best things he's done outside of TG/TGT.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I'm only a bit in, but this is legit the only time I've enjoyed something he's done outside of TG/GT.

• Options
    You know now that I think about it Clarkson Farm still has the same team dynamic.
    Kaleb is a young go getter that's naive and hates to travel and try new things: Hamond
    Charlie is a massive nerd obsessed with the small details and numbers: May
    Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is that no one can understand a word Gerald says.

• Options
    Gerald has some sort of for-real speech impediment, right?

Because there are points where he's definitely talking and it's just a very thick accent with rapid speech, and other times where it is 100% total gibberish. If it's anything more than a short sentence, he seems to be at least 50% incomprehensible.

• Options

Because there are points where he's definitely talking and it's just a very thick accent with rapid speech, and other times where it is 100% total gibberish. If it's anything more than a short sentence, he seems to be at least 50% incomprehensible.

I have subtitles turned on and for most of his dialogue it's <incomprehensible gibberish>

• Options
    My understanding was just that it's a really out there dialect of English. I spent some time in Trinidad and Tobago, where English is the main language, but there were times I just had no idea what people were saying. Like seriously, I had better luck some of the time with native Spanish speakers in El Salvador.

• Options

It's not a speech impediment. In some rural parts of the country you'll find people who do just speak like that, they're kind of a dying breed though, the guy in the show was in his 70's and I wouldn't expect to find anyone younger who sounds like him. They're a relic of a time when far out rural communities were effectively cut off from the outside world and the people there lived and died within ten miles of where they were born. With cars, phones and the internet that isn't really a thing anymore. In the village I grew up in (hundred of miles away from Chipping Norton) there was an old guy who spoke a totally different dialect but was equally incomprehensible.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I'm about 5 eps in, but one thing that amazes me is how much Jeremy seems to enjoy being a farmer. Like, he's not good at many parts of it, but this bit where he just moved his sheep to another field and he's leaning against the fence going "these sheep were a bad idea that's going to cost me a lot of money but I like having them around." And him having some wine with his girlfriend next to the birthing pen going on about what they'd be doing in the old days.

If you'd have asked me years ago if I could see Jeremy Clarkson as a farmer I'd have laughed.

• Options
    To be fair, when you have the kind of money he does to just throw at things and laugh off the losses, a LOT of things become super enjoyable.

• Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    To be fair, when you have the kind of money he does to just throw at things and laugh off the losses, a LOT of things become super enjoyable.

Yeah, I think that's kind of the takeaway (caveat: I'm only 3 episodes in)

Farming is actually quite fun & enjoyable - it's really neat to grow your own stuff, and then magically you have tons of potatoes. But when it's your livelihood, and a few days of rain can be the difference between literally turning a profit and going under, it's a lot more stressful and a lot less fun. I'm not sure how well-appreciated this really is (I only know some of this tangentially through my wife's family)

• Options

And he says this himself in the finale, he wasn't at all flippant about the fact that he could only afford to have fun doing it because it was being underwritten by amazon. Trying to be a genuine for-profit farmer is hellish, once you factor in the hours they work and the profit margins they have, these guys are probably on 18th century workhouse wages.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I know a few people who own a farm, and a few people who want to own a farm when they retire

But these are all well paid tech workers, they don't want to earn a living off of farming

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    My understanding was just that it's a really out there dialect of English. I spent some time in Trinidad and Tobago, where English is the main language, but there were times I just had no idea what people were saying. Like seriously, I had better luck some of the time with native Spanish speakers in El Salvador.

https://youtu.be/Cun-LZvOTdw

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular

Oh, no doubt. Hell, I'd imagine that Lambo tractor of his probably costs more than a Lambo road car. This very much reads as 'rich dude playing Farming Simulator for real'. I'm just amazed that farming is something he'd actually like.