As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PlayStation4 / PSN] PS3+Vita games are back on the menu, boys!

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Shenl742 wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    God of War is legitimately one of the best games I've played in a long time. I hated the previous entries very much too so it was unexpected.

It almost feels like a game-length apology for all the edgelord crap that happened in the previous games.

To be fair, it was the 2000's, everyone was an edgelord protagonist at some point.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Shenl742 wrote: »
    God of War is legitimately one of the best games I've played in a long time. I hated the previous entries very much too so it was unexpected.

It almost feels like a game-length apology for all the edgelord crap that happened in the previous games.

To be fair, it was the 2000's, everyone was an edgelord protagonist at some point.

6fjdtprkhwkm.jpg

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The funny thing is that angry rage boy persona he used to be is still damned important to his character. You need to know who he was before to really understand how powerful it is when the Stranger backhands Kratos, and Kratos just stands there and says "You do not want this.".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    The funny thing is that angry rage boy persona he used to be is still damned important to his character. You need to know who he was before to really understand how powerful it is when the Stranger backhands Kratos, and Kratos just stands there and says "You do not want this.".

Yeah, it's important to know the previous games (at least as far as I've gotten in the new one) because he is holding it in. He is trying to be better, to be less trigger-happy, less fueled by rage and nothing more, and he lets it out in fits (again, up to where I am which isn't far) but not only did he say the Stranger didn't want this, he didn't want this.

But he's willing if he must. But only if he must.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    If got God of War sitting there.

Stop making me want to play it. I want to finish another game first.

-Loki- on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    God of War: Dad stuff, from later in the story than Kalnaur is:
    Probably one of the strongest bits in that game’s story is when Kratos tells Atreus “[You] must be better than me.” It says a lot about his outlook. He knows that even if he spends the rest of his immortal life hurting nobody and doing only good, he can’t erase the stuff he did in his youth. But he can try to teach Atreus to never go down the path he did.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The last 3 days I’ve brought my Spider-Man saves completion from 18% to 59%. I haven’t been hooked on a game like this in a long time. It’s so good.

How’s the DLC for it?

• cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    I liked it. I remember there being a bit of a jump in difficulty, though.

cckerberos.png
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Yeah, it's important to know the previous games (at least as far as I've gotten in the new one) because he is holding it in. He is trying to be better, to be less trigger-happy, less fueled by rage and nothing more, and he lets it out in fits (again, up to where I am which isn't far) but not only did he say the Stranger didn't want this, he didn't want this.

I completely lost steam about halfway through the original God of War. I was either indifferent to, or actively disliked, every single character I met, hero or villain. But it at least gave me enough context of Kratos being a raging asshole to appreciate his change in the newer game. Having likeable characters makes a world of difference.

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I think anyone paying attention to gaming in general for like the past 15 years has enough Kratos context to get the deal in Dad of War without having played any of them.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Not to mention the whole way the fight works mechanically feeds into that. The more you fight, the more Kratos loses control and turns into a rage monster. Just like the Stranger wanted. And man, the Stranger's a fun antagonist. I'm looking forward to seeing him again.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Also about Spider-Man. Is it normal that my Pro sounds like an 747? Because it only does with this game so far. Horizon and Ghost of Tsushima it’s whisper quiet.

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Finally fired up the Crash Bandicoot N-Sane trilogy years after buying it. I only had ever played the first couple levels of the original back when it was new. I started with the 1st game. At first I thought the game was being super generous with the lives...but then holy shit, the difficulty really ramps up quite quickly and is a bit unforgiving. Not to mention you frequently don't have those tiki masks so you'll be dying in 1 hit many many times. I frequently miss jumps short or get screwed up by the weird fixed camera angles making it more difficult to judge your jumps.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    It's a probable sign that your PS4 needs a good cleaning. Some units have a really loud fan that spins really fast because of heating issues, because the heatsink tends to clog up with dust.

If you're handy, it's not too hard to replace thermal paste and even change the fan for your PS4.

A bit of googling says it’s common for the game, mostly in indoor scenes. Which aligns with my experience.

So I think I’ll do without giving my console an autopsy, like I said, other games have no problem.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Do EU region PS1/2 classics try to play in 50hz on a PS3? That's not something I've seen discussed...

I played Maken Shao(the PS2 version of Maken X that only got localized in Europe) on my PS3 and it looked fine.

wVEsyIc.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

So this is interesting. This person removed the CMOS battery from their PS4 and turned the console back on. Since then he can't play a single game: digitally or physically if they can't access the Sony servers (i.e. offline). So basically if the CMOS battery dies in the PS4 then you aren't going to be able to play any of your PS4 titles if they kill the servers.

Obviously it's entirely possible that when the PS4 is sunset they remove the check. But it's a little worrisome.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Sounds like he just pulled the battery and didn't replace it, so he was running the PS4 without it?

Jazz on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Sounds like he just pulled the battery and didn't replace it, so he was running the PS4 without it?

It requires the server to be online after you replace the battery. That's how it updates the system time. If the server doesn't exist then you're SOL.

Again they could patch it. Hackers could spoof it. Etc.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    A bit of googling says it’s common for the game, mostly in indoor scenes. Which aligns with my experience.

So I think I’ll do without giving my console an autopsy, like I said, other games have no problem.

Nice. A friend's ps4 had this issue, but it eventually started happening in all games, and it was a deafening whine, so I helped him with the fan replacement and such.

So this is interesting. This person removed the CMOS battery from their PS4 and turned the console back on. Since then he can't play a single game: digitally or physically if they can't access the Sony servers (i.e. offline). So basically if the CMOS battery dies in the PS4 then you aren't going to be able to play any of your PS4 titles if they kill the servers.

Obviously it's entirely possible that when the PS4 is sunset they remove the check. But it's a little worrisome.

That tweet been taken down now? Huh.

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021

It requires the server to be online after you replace the battery. That's how it updates the system time. If the server doesn't exist then you're SOL.

The console hackers are unlikely to show any interest in spoofing it in a way that doesn't involve custom firmware and sea shanties. More likely, they'll bypass the checks altogether, which is not much use to console owners running legit FW with a pile of games we bought for the system.

Based on the handling of PS3 and Vita, here are some dates to watch for, when we might lose store functionality on PS4 (but not the time servers):
    1. Summer 2028, a little under 15 years since introduction
    2. Summer 2024, a little over 2 years after the likely end of PS4 Slim production

The latter sounds very aggressive, but is consistent with the pattern for both PS3 and Vita, so it carries substantial weight. If I were a games developer, I'd start getting concerned about the prospects for a cross-platform release of anything still cooking in late 2023, without some assurances from Sony. And by late 2024, I straight-up wouldn't trust any such assurances enough to put development resources on a PS4 version.

Our only precedent to go on, for shutting down the time servers, might arguably be the shutdown of the PS2's online features after 16 years of service. Now, that was also more analogous to publishers shutting off online play, a common practice, than to the time server situation. Still means I wouldn't expect to see those go offline (for PS4, anyway) before 2030.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

The console hackers are unlikely to show any interest in spoofing it in a way that doesn't involve custom firmware and sea shanties. More likely, they'll bypass the checks altogether, which is not much use to console owners running legit FW with a pile of games we bought for the system.

Based on the handling of PS3 and Vita, here are some dates to watch for, when we might lose store functionality on PS4 (but not the time servers):
    2. Summer 2024, a little over 2 years after the likely end of PS4 Slim production

The latter sounds very aggressive, but is consistent with the pattern for both PS3 and Vita, so it carries substantial weight. If I were a games developer, I'd start getting concerned about the prospects for a cross-platform release of anything still cooking in late 2023, without some assurances from Sony. And by late 2024, I straight-up wouldn't trust any such assurances enough to put development resources on a PS4 version.

Our only precedent to go on, for shutting down the time servers, might arguably be the shutdown of the PS2's online features after 16 years of service. Now, that was also more analogous to publishers shutting off online play, a common practice, than to the time server situation. Still means I wouldn't expect to see those go offline (for PS4, anyway) before 2030.

I'd be willing to bet the PS4 store lasts longer, considering the PS3 didn't sell all that well and the Vita was a massive failure.

Not to mention this latest gen seems to be oddly slow to release games for the new systems -- it seems like the PS4/One are healthier at this point than any other system that had successors launched a few months ago.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    So I took a few minutes and went through literally all of the PS3 games on the store, and to my relief, most of the heavy hitters I either already own physically, bought the day they came out if it was digital only, or simply don't want that much.

I can't stress enough that Tokyo Jungle and Legasista are must-own though. Both are roguelike-ish, except one lets you play as anything from a Pomeranian to a Velociraptor, while the other lets you use everything from archery to axes to magic to burn down entire dungeons, get lots of swag, and eat mushrooms to get stronger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we4OpeJE57A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENb5uTWC1ek

I'll probably put most of my money towards the classic section.

wVEsyIc.png
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I'd be willing to bet the PS4 store lasts longer, considering the PS3 didn't sell all that well and the Vita was a massive failure.

Not to mention this latest gen seems to be oddly slow to release games for the new systems -- it seems like the PS4/One are healthier at this point than any other system that had successors launched a few months ago.
    Worldwide, the PS3 outsold the Xbox 360 (barely). To say that it “didn’t sell all that well” is exaggeration. It’s the fourth best selling Playstation console, sure, but most estimates put it around the seventh best selling console of all.

With that being said, I do agree that the PS4 store will last longer, simply because with the exception of 10 games or so, they’re all backwards compatible on the PS5. Imagine them stopping the ability to play PS4 games on the PS5 before the PS6 hits however many years from now. That would be way crazier than the store for their first online console shutting down.

A good friend of mine literally just got his first PS3 a couple of days ago. He figured it was now or never, and as a big Metal Gear fan, the prospect of MG1 & 2, and MGS1/VR, 2HD, 3HD, 4 and (should he choose to) 5 all being playable on one console was just too tempting (he's something of a platform purist and prefers Metal Gear on a PlayStation system).

I'm trying to convince him to buy Gradius V while he still can.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Reggie released another video spotlighting some PS3 games to grab before the store is gone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2SSZy8jh9Q

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited April 2021
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Worldwide, the PS3 outsold the Xbox 360 (barely). To say that it “didn’t sell all that well” is exaggeration. It’s the fourth best selling Playstation console, sure, but most estimates put it around the seventh best selling console of all.

With that being said, I do agree that the PS4 store will last longer, simply because with the exception of 10 games or so, they’re all backwards compatible on the PS5. Imagine them stopping the ability to play PS4 games on the PS5 before the PS6 hits however many years from now. That would be way crazier than the store for their first online console shutting down.

Yeah, and the PS3 was on an absolute tear between 2010 and 2013, when it finally eclipsed the 360's sales. Even as the sales slowed down, the PS3 remained in production until 2017, and received new Plus titles until 2019.

That adds up to an impression of a fairly modern console now losing PSN store access. So I'm not so sure that consumers, let alone developers, can rely on this Sony to wait for the PS5's successor, or even long enough for speculation to begin surrounding it, before removing store functionality from the PS4. And the more generous end of the date range implied by the lifespan of the PS3 probably takes us right up to that point.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I know there's no real reason to truly believe any of the following, but I don't feel too worried about this nightmare PS3/4 digital scenario? I guess because for the longest time, the "PSN Network (yay redundant acronym!)" has always felt like one singular network. Before the big website change, everything was on the one website. The PS3 and PS4 storepages on the consoles have extremely similar layouts. And I'm pretty sure when you searched for stuff on the PS4 console at one point, PS3/PSP/Vita games could show up in the search (you just couldn't download any of them). To kind of give it all an analogy, "PSN" feels like one singular brick and mortar store. And with the closing of the PSP/Vita/PS3 stores, it's still the same building but they've closed off those aisles. As a point of comparison, there's Nintendo and their DS/3DS/Wii/WiiU storefronts. Where each individual storefront feels like a completely different building, and when that store is closed they completely demolish the building. ...All of this is to say that so long as there's a current Playstation system in the world and a Playstation Network exists, there's always going to be at the very least a server that a PS4 can ping to and get the time, because that server is just a part of the Playstation Network.

I dunno, that's just the way I've always felt about PSN, and like I said I know there's no real reason to actually think that. That precise reasoning of a singular PSN network is why I would have said I doubt the PS3 store would vanish anytime soon, because they're all the same servers... but here we are. Still, I just don't feel that terrified about this potential CMOS issue... but I'm not so naïve to think it will never possibly happen.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I can't stress enough that Tokyo Jungle and Legasista are must-own though.

It makes me angry that Tokyo Jungle hasn't been made available literally anywhere else.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

It makes me angry that Tokyo Jungle hasn't been made available literally anywhere else.

Japan Studio had a frustrating tendency to make a lot of interesting and original games but with the exception of a few like Patapon and Locoroco, they never go back to them after the initial release(which I think is probably more the fault of Sony). Now that Japan Studio is basically dead because Sony has deemed original properties not profitable enough to continue having them do that, I think the book is closed on a lot of experimental stuff.

But, at least with Keiichiro Toyama now heading his own studio something good might still come of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Muv6DA8_gL4

Well, every system needs a killer app, PS3 has Tokyo Jungle.

wVEsyIc.png

Well, every system needs a killer app, PS3 has Tokyo Jungle.

It's joining Mechassault, Ace Combat 4, PGR 3, and PT, in the hall of heroes where champions disinterested in our mortal realm swill oceans of mead and sing boisterously of great foes who fell by their axes.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    why ace combat 4 tho
    it's a disk game

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    why ace combat 4 tho
    it's a disk game

So is PGR3.

And MechAssault.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Yeah, you could just list every disc based game at that point. Is it that Ace 4 isn't on Playstation Now while 0 and 5 are? Or just like... a meaningless list?

edited April 2021
    Yeah, you could just list every disc based game at that point. Is it that Ace 4 isn't on Playstation Now while 0 and 5 are? Or just like... a meaningless list?

All-time classic games stuck on a single older console.

Microsoft has shown Mechassault and the PGR series zero love in their backwards compatibility list, in spite of publishing their releases on OG Xbox and Xbox 360.
    PT, like the game it was meant to be a teaser for, had the misfortune of being a Konami property that doesn't involve steel BBs and "prizes."
    Obviously, if you have a launch PS3 that hasn't yellow-ringed yet, then Ace Combat 4 is the outlier on this list. But that could be said of any PS2 release that hasn't received a proper port.
    Tokyo Jungle appeared on the Vita, but access to purchase even that inferior version is getting restricted on the same date.

Zoku Gojira on
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Microsoft has shown Mechassault and the PGR series zero love in their backwards compatibility list, in spite of publishing their releases on OG Xbox and Xbox 360.
    PT, like the game it was meant to be a teaser for, had the misfortune of being a Konami property that doesn't involve steel BBs and "prizes."
    Obviously, if you have a launch PS3 that hasn't yellow-ringed yet, then Ace Combat 4 is the outlier on this list. But that could be said of any PS2 release that hasn't received a proper port.
    Tokyo Jungle appeared on the Vita, but access to purchase even that inferior version is getting restricted on the same date.

I think MechAssault deserves the callout because there's a program to bring those releases forward that it is not a part of because of right issues or what not.

Consoles that currently have no systematic method to bring their content forward are a different issue, imo. I'm not sure how comprehensive Ps2 classics are, my impression is "extremely not comprehensive." Namco should do an Ace Collection for modern consoles and PC with 1-5 (and 0) in it, but they probably have no plans in the works to do that.

edited April 2021

I think MechAssault deserves the callout because there's a program to bring those releases forward that it is not a part of because of right issues or what not.

Consoles that currently have no systematic method to bring their content forward are a different issue, imo. I'm not sure how comprehensive Ps2 classics are, my impression is "extremely not comprehensive." Namco should do an Ace Collection for modern consoles and PC with 1-5 (and 0) in it, but they probably have no plans in the works to do that.

Okay, yeah, I get where you're coming from now, Zoku. PGR3 and 4, although 3 was the more liked of the two I think. And I guess PGR2 is BC on a 360. Also PGR2 was the best one, hands down, and a remake (or fancy remaster a la NFS:HP) of that would be killer.

I suspect the PGR series probably ran into licensing issues too, between the cars and the cities, which would explain its otherwise odd omission from BC lists.

Yeah, I think "extremely not comprehensive" is still putting it incredibly generously. That the PS2 classics are scattered over PS3 and PS4, with virtually no crossover, just makes it worse. Like, Gradius V digital is stuck on PS3, Primal digital is only PS4, for but two examples.

Jazz on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    those games are kinda fine tho
    as long as ps2's work and disks don't rot you can play them... not to mention other means

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png