As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Canada] is also staying home and washing their hands

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    So! In Quebec:

-People 55 or over can go without an appointment starting tomorrow to get a dose of AZ
    -Everybody over 60 can take an appointment starting tomorrow (previously only in some regions)
    -Essential workers in Montreal can take an appointment starting Friday
    -Chronically ill people IN MONTREAL can go to a hospital without an appointment starting Monday (you’re considered chronically ill if you regularly see a doctor for a condition)

Edited a correction and more details

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Lot of rumours that That Fucker Ford is issuing a Stay At Home order today

liEt3nH.png
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Lot of rumours that That Fucker Ford is issuing a Stay At Home order today

And again it likely won't go far enough

No regional travel blocks, no sick leave, no prioritization for essential workers until mid-May which lol, making PHUs decide if they're going to close schools or not, based on all the source reports from the cabinet meeting last night

They might actually force big box stores to block off non-essential aisles this time at least, which they said last time was simply too much work to do before Christmas

Love to be here

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

is it though?

is it???

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    This kind of sums things up:

Edit: Do we source tweets here? Garth Mullins is a BC based podcaster

:so_raven:
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Tube's dying wish was that all the subforums source tweets
    I personally think it's fine if you don't source obvious jokes but I'm also not a mod

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I thought it was only sourcing news or things claiming to be news

edited April 2021
    I thought he was kind of unclear about that, popped up a few times to remind people about the rule under joke tweets so vOv
    it's up to geebs now I guess

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I’m smack dab in the middle of the ‘fuck you’ demographic. I work a minimum wage essential job, with no safety net, a government that admonishes me for ‘partying’, when I have neither the time, energy nor money to do so. So, Fuck you Ford.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    I’m smack dab in the middle of the ‘fuck you’ demographic. I work a minimum wage essential job, with no safety net, a government that admonishes me for ‘partying’, when I have neither the time, energy nor money to do so. So, Fuck you Ford.

Ditto

Im in Hamilton and all the trouble postal codes that got 18+ for vaccines are the affluent neighborhoods on the outer edges of the city

Ya know all the asshole's who didn't listen to the rules and kept partying, mean while I still have to go into work every night and deal with the travelling public (I work at a hotel)

bloodyroarxx on
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Literally the only hope for a decent future is enough decent, hard working people realise it doesn’t need to be this way and in fact, if we work together for the common good, we have all the power

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    edited April 2021
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »

Ditto

Im in Hamilton and all the trouble postal codes that got 18+ for vaccines are the affluent neighborhoods on the outer edges of the city

Ya know all the asshole's who didn't listen to the rules and kept partying, mean while I still have to go into work every night and deal with the travelling public (I work at a hotel)

Is your job at least in one of those postal codes

You may be eligible based on that, from what I read last night

Edit: basically from what I can tell, the 18+ is specifically relevant to targeted vaccine measures that will be like, a mobile clinic popping up next to an apartment building or manufacturing facility and trying to get everyone there their shot. It's unlikely to be the full community/pharmacy clinics that are opening to 18+ - those are going to be for 50+ in hot spot regions. So it's possible your municipality will set up a vaccination clinic with your workplace if it's in one of those hotspot area codes.

Otherwise, the City of Ottawa has been doing hot spot pop-up clinics from the start, which have been the launching point for the other age-based clinics (e.g. 80+ in the hot spot pop-up happened a week or two before 80+ in all of the community clinics in town). I assume they're going to just do that in more Public Health Units

This is actually good strategy and it's entirely because they promoted Dr. Homer Tien, the guy who runs Ornge air ambulance and handled the successful vaccination strategy in the northern/isolated indigenous community area, after Gen. Hillier quit. Pretty safe assumption the inequitable rollout to this point was very much influenced by Hillier being a complete and total dumbass

Cello on
    Steam
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    So, interesting note, when I consulted my doctor about my risk factor, she said my previous pulmonary endarterectomy (removal of blood clot scars from lungs) didn’t qualify me, but being on the autism spectrum put me in the high risk zone.
    I’m in Ontario, if you have any kind of developmental disorder like that, it’s worth checking with your family doctor.

jnij103vqi2i.png
    So, interesting note, when I consulted my doctor about my risk factor, she said my previous pulmonary endarterectomy (removal of blood clot scars from lungs) didn’t qualify me, but being on the autism spectrum put me in the high risk zone.
    I’m in Ontario, if you have any kind of developmental disorder like that, it’s worth checking with your family doctor.

Yeah, the mental disorder part of the requirements is really vague too

Like....am I eligible due to depression/anxiety because that would be a Big Plus

Steam
    If it's anything that they might use to make a judgement over whether you get a ventilator or not, it's _completely_ valid for you to use to "jump the line" into getting a vaccine earlier, regardless of how uncomfortable you might feel about "taking someone else's spot."

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    yeah, think about it as "opening up" a spot in the ICU, we really can't afford to have more people in there since beds there are incredibly limited

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    The curfew, a measure that accomplishes very little but gives the appearance of doing something, is going back down to 8PM in Montreal and Laval as of Sunday

Pretty much expecting full lockdown in a week since they keep on doing these nothing-measures so it’s bound to get way worse

sig.gif
    Cello wrote: »

Like....am I eligible due to depression/anxiety because that would be a Big Plus

The list I was looking at before consulting my doctor said “Down’s syndrome, etc” and was extremely unhelpful

jnij103vqi2i.png
    Cello wrote: »

The list I was looking at before consulting my doctor said “Down’s syndrome, etc” and was extremely unhelpful

Yeah and that's for the mid tier ones too

The mental disorders one is the third tier and it's like, y'all, that's a broad category!!

Steam
    Ontario is doing great!! Just great!! Love breaking records and also maybe the health care system just to be sure the worst case modelling was actually accurate

Ottawa is finally likely to close schools after the April Break next week, but I'm sure it was very smart to have schools open after Easter just to be sure

Meanwhile, all of the direction the province gave the PHUs was....hey you can do 18+ in some buildings OKAY GOOD LUCK and provided no further direction than that, so they're all scrambling

This rules!!!

Steam
    edited April 2021
    The third wave is currently exploding in Ontario, if you didn't know. Stay home if you can. Daily new infection rate highest it's ever been, 80% of new cases are the more viral variants.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited April 2021
    The third wave is currently exploding in Ontario, if you didn't know. Stay home if you can. Daily new infection rate highest it's ever been, 80% of new cases are the more viral variants.

The bigger issue is not staying home if we can - it's the large contingent who cannot

We're currently in a stay at home order, everything is shut that isn't essential except for curbside pickup, gathering sizes are limited, and the numbers we are seeing are now finally a reflection of Easter gatherings before the provincial leadership really took things seriously when they effectively lead people (who aren't glued to CBC News like me) to believe things were getting better through callous reopenings

There's some people who are in that Trying To Live With The Virus contingent of course but like, the people who are getting sick are primarily in the underprivileged areas of the province who have to go to work without sick leave, and who Hillier's vaccination method left out

There's 2 million essential workers in Toronto alone

Cello on
    Steam
    Also, just in general, stay safe. Hospital resources are scarce now, so try your damnedest not to need them, if you can. You may not get them.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Im still forced to work, no vaccines in sight for me for weeks if not months

Today theyve made covid testing mandatory, doing tests on site, but only mandatory once every 3 weeks.

Meanwhile the plant is still fucking packed with people

Al_wat on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

Today theyve made covid testing mandatory, doing tests on site, but only mandatory once every 3 weeks.

uuuggghhhh that fucking sucks, man

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

That seems like a whole lot of "appear to be doing something" without doing anything useful.

Well, things are shitty enough we decided to pull our kid from daycare until I, as the only un-vaxxed adult in the house can get a shot. I am incandescently angry at our government here in BC. This is the party I have always supported and I expected better. If we wanted feckless, shitty leadership that didn't give a shit about the lives of the general public we could have kept electing Christy Clark and the BC Liberals.

So, some health units are starting to book the top 2 tiers of risk in the Ontario guideline

My sister had our family doctor write her a note (I believe due to qualifying as high risk, not highest risk) and Ottawa's health unit called to say she'd have an appointment in the next two weeks (and the time for it within 48 hours)

Can't say if this extends to the other health units in the province but for anyone who qualifies, worth a shot to discuss with your doctor

Steam
    Steam
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Yeah this real world study from Israel in February this year was the basis of Canada's later 2nd dose policy. The vaccine is 85% effective after the first dose. The 2nd dose is mostly to extend the effects, not strengthen the immunity.

Well, Ontario is likely adding more restrictions that may or may not be very stupid tomorrow

But that Erin O'Toole reveal of the Conservative not-Carbon-Tax gave me so much joy

God bless that stupid, stupid pixel wall with looping stock nature footage

Motherfucker looked like he was going to introduce me to the Soarin' ride in Disney World, while journalists explained the definition a tax to him

Steam
    According to a friend who liases with the BC CDC as part of his job, BC is going to announce an Ontario esque stay at home order within the next few days.

Fewer vaccines than hoped, young folks being hospitalized, basically unchecked spread, should have happened a month ago.

edited April 2021
    #pipe wrote: »
    According to a friend who liases with the BC CDC as part of his job, BC is going to announce an Ontario esque stay at home order within the next few days.

Fewer vaccines than hoped, young folks being hospitalized, basically unchecked spread, should have happened a month ago.

But, you know, making money from spring break travel for Vail Resorts, the owners of Whistler, was more important than the lives and health of the citizens.

We decided to more or less self-lockdown last week. No daycare, minimal or no socializing, no going in big box stores or super markets, etc.

Corvus on
    Restrictions could actually be pretty major tomorrow

Steam
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Hah. My bet is they are well short of what this article says they are considering. "Sources say" to me says its the government leaking this to make them look like they REALLY SERIOUSLY NO FOR REAL THIS TIME GUYS considered the best course of action.

Good news! According to Ontario, you can just use cops to scare the virus away or some shit!

Folks, I am becoming The Joker

Steam
    I haven’t kept up, please elaborate?

jnij103vqi2i.png
    edited April 2021
    I haven’t kept up, please elaborate?

So, exciting news: we're officially a police state

The changes will include:

- closing playgrounds, golf, tennis, and parks (where there is zero spread)
    - reducing big box retailers to 25 percent capacity
    - 10 people only for weddings and funerals and places of worship
    - checkpoints at the border with Quebec and Manitoba to only allow people in for work, medical care, or transportation of goods
    - giving police and bylaw the ability to pull you over to ask for your address and why you are outside of your home, either when you are in a vehicle or on foot, and fining you if you do not have an essential reason for being outside, as well as presumably punishing you if you do not comply (is this against our human rights? Who knows!)
    - closing non-essential construction on offices, hotels, and malls (but not housing because you gotta please the developer donors)
    - 25 percent of future vaccines going to hot spots (not 50 as it should be, and honestly the "future vaccines" part is unclear as to whether they're gonna try to demand 25 more or what)
    - you can call the ministry of labour to....maybe do something about essential or non-essential workplaces? Unclear
    - stay at home order extended from 4 weeks to 6

The modelling shows we could have between 10,000 and 18,000 cases per day by the end of May; the best case scenario, in which we would aspirationally have strong measures and 300,000 vaccines a day (unrealistic with anticipated doses) would be 5000 cases a day, and triage is already effectively happening given that hospitals like the Queensway Carleton in Ottawa are already cancelling important surgeries to make room for more ICU patients

No shutdowns for warehouses or factories because "the supply chain is complicated" and no sick leave or supports for essential workers, no regional travel limitations outside of the provincial ones which are already too late as P1 and UK variants are already here

I am incandescent with rage

Cello on
    Steam