As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SCOTUS] thread we dreaded updates for because RIP RBG

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i'm not gonna disagree dog toys are more essential than god tbf

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    what about god toys, though?

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    what about god toys, though?

that's just people

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Look man, if god has an issue with dog toys having a higher priority then him. Well he's a strong, independent god that don't need no man to solve his problems for him. If he feels it needs to be addressed he'll get around to it.

On a more series note, the shadow docket is already in the crosshairs for reform and people have noted many of the most controversy decisions in recent history have been a result of the shadow docket. I'd love to see Congress and the Presidency declare that anything made under the shadow docket is null and void. If it's to be the law of the land, the backers of something better have the fucking spine to put their name on it. If they can't do that, that should tell them that it probably shouldn't be the law of the land.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Good work, McConnell. You now have people playing legal Calvinball on the SCotUS. This is going to hurt for a while.

Working as intended. :(

SCOTUS is just legal Calvinball. From Madison on.

Stop thinking about it as more than that, and think of how to win in that context. Because sure as shit they only embrace the meaningful parts when it supports them.

The entire game here is to make a specific flavour of christianity and it's attendant moral beliefs the dominant legal religion and legal framework in the US and the rest is just a pantomime to get to that end.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Good work, McConnell. You now have people playing legal Calvinball on the SCotUS. This is going to hurt for a while.

Stop thinking about it as more than that, and think of how to win in that context. Because sure as shit they only embrace the meaningful parts when it supports them.

The entire game here is to make a specific flavour of christianity and it's attendant moral beliefs the dominant legal religion and legal framework in the US and the rest is just a pantomime to get to that end.

which will be given lip service and used to oppress, while the in group continues to worship their true god Mammon. :P

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Lochner Jesus

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Lochner Jesus

Is he the first cousin of Supply Side Jesus or his dad. I can't keep the lineage straight.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Lochner Jesus

Is he the first cousin of Supply Side Jesus or his dad. I can't keep the lineage straight.

It's like the trinity thing along with Bootstraps Jesus. They're all the same but different in ineffable ways.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular

Lochner Jesus

It's like the trinity thing along with Bootstraps Jesus. They're all the same but different in ineffable ways.

Which sucks because I want them the eff out of the law.

• Options
    Hope everyone is buckled in because things are going to be pretty bumpy for the next forty years.

First opinion of the day is in Jones v. Mississippi. By a 6–3 vote with Kavanaugh writing, the court rules that a sentencer need NOT make a separate factual finding of permanent incorrigibility before sentencing a defendant under 18 to life without parole.
    Link to decision

To put this in very stark terms, the appointment of Brett Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett are THE reason why the Supreme Court just effectively reinstated juvenile life without parole. Kennedy had taken huge strides toward abolishing it, and they just undid his handiwork.

The threat started with the first tweet also goes over the other two cases released today. They are less barbarously decided. The idea that we can send a 15 year old child to life imprisonment on the whim of an old white guy isn't something to be taken lightly. And we already know that it's not going to be something decided consistently along any sort of racial, economic, or other lines. Meaning this isn't a decision that someone like Rittenhouse is going to have to ever worry about.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    The story of the man at the center of that case:

1) Father abused his mother extremely violently
    2) Mother left the father, married another man who...abused the kid (he's ~15 at this point)
    3) Kid takes a swing at stepfather, is sent to live with grandparents
    4) Kid invites his girlfriend to join him at grandparents without telling them
    5) Grandpa figures it out, gets angry, they get in a fight in the kitchen, kid stabs his grandfather several times in the altercation. Then tries to do CPR but fails. Grandpa dies, kid...wanders around with a bloody shirt, tries to hitch a ride to his grandma to tell her what happened. Like clearly did a stupid and terrible thing because he was an idiot teenager who was frequently abused.
    6) Is picked up by police, doesn't ask for a lawyer or anything, confesses
    7) Sentenced to life without parole as a 15 year old
    8) Is a model prisoner by basically all accounts
    9) Is resentenced to LWOP despite clear SCOTUS precedent that children cannot receive that sentence unless they are corrupted beyond redemption. Despite the testimony of his grandmother (the man who was killed's widow, remember) that he should be given the chance for parole.
    10) Sues not for immediate release, but for the opportunity to someday get parole (he's now 31 and has spent more than half his life in prison).
    11) Kavanaugh and the conservatives are like "nah" and we're overturning precedent but not going to say those previous cases were wrongly decided. We're just going to kind of ignore them because fuck black kids in the South.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

2) Mother left the father, married another man who...abused the kid (he's ~15 at this point)
    5) Grandpa figures it out, gets angry, they get in a fight in the kitchen, kid stabs his grandfather several times in the altercation. Then tries to do CPR but fails. Grandpa dies, kid...wanders around with a bloody shirt, tries to hitch a ride to his grandma to tell her what happened. Like clearly did a stupid and terrible thing because he was an idiot teenager who was frequently abused.
    9) Is resentenced to LWOP despite clear SCOTUS precedent that children cannot receive that sentence unless they are corrupted beyond redemption. Despite the testimony of his grandmother (the man who was killed's widow, remember) that he should be given the chance for parole.
    10) Sues not for immediate release, but for the opportunity to someday get parole (he's now 31 and has spent more than half his life in prison).
    11) Kavanaugh and the conservatives are like "nah" and we're overturning precedent but not going to say those previous cases were wrongly decided. We're just going to kind of ignore them because fuck black kids in the South.

Very much so and if you read anything of the decision, you should read Sotomayor's extra-spicy dissent.
    Today, however, the Court reduces Miller to a decision requiring “just a discretionary sentencing procedure where youth [is] considered.” Ante, at 11. Such an abrupt break from precedent demands “special justification.” Ramos v. Louisiana, 590 U. S. ___, ___ (2020) (KAVANAUGH, J., con-curring in part) (slip op., at 6) (internal quotation marksomitted). The Court offers none. Instead, the Court at-tempts to circumvent stare decisis principles by claiming that “[t]he Court’s decision today carefully follows both Mil-ler and Montgomery.” Ante, at 19. The Court is fooling no one. Because I cannot countenance the Court’s abandon-ment of Miller and Montgomery, I dissent.

She is calling Kavanaugh out on the gigantic pile of bullshit he used in the majority decision. And kinda flipping the chief justice the finger at the same time over his precious "stare decsis" not being used in this case. She knew she was going down but she went down swinging for the fence.

Martini_Philosopher on
  • Options
    why should anyone ever be sentenced to life without the ability to appeal for parole? if they don't deserve parole or are too dangerous to release, reaffirm that decision at points of regular review

i mean

i know the answer, it's because our society sucks but

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    why should anyone ever be sentenced to life without the ability to appeal for parole? if they don't deserve parole or are too dangerous to release, reaffirm that decision at points of regular review

i mean

It was basically invented as the compromise to eliminate the death penalty. Even though it is still effectively a death penalty, just much longer than the length of a gallows.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I won't defend life without parole but the possibility of appeal makes it much more preferable to the death penalty.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options

Very much so and if you read anything of the decision, you should read Sotomayor's extra-spicy dissent.
    Today, however, the Court reduces Miller to a decision requiring “just a discretionary sentencing procedure where youth [is] considered.” Ante, at 11. Such an abrupt break from precedent demands “special justification.” Ramos v. Louisiana, 590 U. S. ___, ___ (2020) (KAVANAUGH, J., con-curring in part) (slip op., at 6) (internal quotation marksomitted). The Court offers none. Instead, the Court at-tempts to circumvent stare decisis principles by claiming that “[t]he Court’s decision today carefully follows both Mil-ler and Montgomery.” Ante, at 19. The Court is fooling no one. Because I cannot countenance the Court’s abandon-ment of Miller and Montgomery, I dissent.

She is calling Kavanaugh out on the gigantic pile of bullshit he used in the majority decision. And kinda flipping the chief justice the finger at the same time over his precious "stare decsis" not being used in this case. She knew she was going down but she went down swinging for the fence.

She’s also writing for future justices. I bet this dissent winds up cited in the case overturning this terrible decision.

God I fucking hate Kavanaugh.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I long for a majority party that both doesn't give a shit about norms AND isn't evil to resolve the SCOTUS dilemma

override367 on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    [t]he Court’s decision today carefully follows both Mil-ler and Montgomery.

Look if I say it, then it's totally true! This new conservative majority's willingness to just throw out judicial principle when it suits them scares the shit out of me. At least the old conservatives made an attempt to dress up their bullshit in legitimate legal framework - this new method of going "uh yeah this time the law is applied this way, but maybe not for other cases like it, because of reasons that we're going to very noticeably not discuss" seems insane.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Look if I say it, then it's totally true! This new conservative majority's willingness to just throw out judicial principle when it suits them scares the shit out of me. At least the old conservatives made an attempt to dress up their bullshit in legitimate legal framework - this new method of going "uh yeah this time the law is applied this way but maybe not for other cases like it because of reasons that we're going to very noticeable not discuss" seems insane.

Mark my words, they’re going to de facto overturn roper v Simmons and its progeny so executing juveniles will be constitutional again.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    sanstodo wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Look if I say it, then it's totally true! This new conservative majority's willingness to just throw out judicial principle when it suits them scares the shit out of me. At least the old conservatives made an attempt to dress up their bullshit in legitimate legal framework - this new method of going "uh yeah this time the law is applied this way but maybe not for other cases like it because of reasons that we're going to very noticeable not discuss" seems insane.

Mark my words, they’re going to de facto overturn roper v Simmons and its progeny so executing juveniles will be constitutional again.

I imagine you're right. Based on the the barbarism and purposeful blinders put on display in this ruling, I also suspect they're going to rule that anything goes with administering the death penalty; use whatever chemicals you want, cruel and unusual punishment doesn't exist. If some state can get a death penalty case up to them.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    For Kavanaugh of all people to make such a ruling

My anger is incandescent.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Oh I forgot that when he went to live with his grandparents, he couldn't take his anti-depressants with him for whatever reason, so had dropped those cold turkey. Dude had a billion mitigating circumstances and almost definitely deserves to be paroled at some point...possibly like 10 years ago, tbh.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

What kills me is he literally doesn't care. The man is the biggest piece of shit hyprocrit in the world and he doesn't give a flying fuck.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Preacher wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

What kills me is he literally doesn't care. The man is the biggest piece of shit hyprocrit in the world and he doesn't give a flying fuck.

Oh, it's just that Frank Wilhoit quote again.

"Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect."

The hypocrisy is a deliberate part of their philosophy.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Oh I forgot that when he went to live with his grandparents, he couldn't take his anti-depressants with him for whatever reason, so had dropped those cold turkey. Dude had a billion mitigating circumstances and almost definitely deserves to be paroled at some point...possibly like 10 years ago, tbh.

The fuck?

Impeach every fucking judge who decided this was remotely permissible and disbar every fucking lawyer who defended it.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

The fuck?

Impeach every fucking judge who decided this was remotely permissible and disbar every fucking lawyer who defended it.

We live in an unfathomably cruel country

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Holy crap...cold turkey off anti depressants? (Which given his history of abuse i'm going to bet were heavy duty stuff and/or doses) A white kid with a decent lawyer would have been put into some special clinic and back out in society in a year or two.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Late to the scotus committee bit, but in my head I've decided that what they're investigating is Kavanaugh himself to unearth his skeletons. Makes me feel better, esp after this ruling.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Yeah but even if they find anything it’s probably from when he was a kid and you can’t judge who Kavanaugh is today based on what he did as a juvenile

You can do that to everyone else, though

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    And the Court unanimously empowered scammers:
    The Federal Trade Commission can’t force companies that engage in wrongdoing to pay back consumers or give up ill-gotten profit, the Supreme Court held Thursday, dealing a huge blow to the agency that could hamper its antitrust and privacy cases.

The FTC’s authority under a provision known as Section 13(b) is limited to seeking an injunction to stop illegal actions and doesn’t authorize it to seek monetary remedies like restitution, Justice Stephen Breyer wrote for the unanimous court.

This is utterly fucked, and yet in line with the gooseshit rulings that have basically gutted anti-corruption laws. It also shows why we need justices from places other than Harvard, Yale, or Stanford.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    The Roberts court has been one of the most massively pro-corruption supreme courts in history even before any of the Trump nominees (who were all in one way or another directly appointed by corrupt practices). So yeah.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The Roberts court has been one of the most massively pro-corruption supreme courts in history even before any of the Trump nominees (who were all in one way or another directly appointed by corrupt practices). So yeah.

What is disturbing is that many of those rulings were unanimous or close to it. Which illustrates that the problem is deeper than just who is on the Court.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Or maybe it indicates that the law doesn't say what you want it to say. When nine justices agree on something, it's rather bullheaded to insist that their position doesn't have any merit.

• Options
    And the Court unanimously empowered scammers:
    The Federal Trade Commission can’t force companies that engage in wrongdoing to pay back consumers or give up ill-gotten profit, the Supreme Court held Thursday, dealing a huge blow to the agency that could hamper its antitrust and privacy cases.

The FTC’s authority under a provision known as Section 13(b) is limited to seeking an injunction to stop illegal actions and doesn’t authorize it to seek monetary remedies like restitution, Justice Stephen Breyer wrote for the unanimous court.

This is utterly fucked, and yet in line with the gooseshit rulings that have basically gutted anti-corruption laws. It also shows why we need justices from places other than Harvard, Yale, or Stanford.

The unanimity suggests the problem is with the written black letter law, not the Court. Seeing how rich people get scammed, Congress will likely fix that fairly quickly.

• Options
    are there other agencies that are responsible for seeking damages or anything of that sort?

9-0 to me tends to signal the process was wrong because there is some other responsible party

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    are there other agencies that are responsible for seeking damages or anything of that sort?

9-0 to me tends to signal the process was wrong because there is some other responsible party

Light googling says that the FTC can seek damages, but under Section 19 and Section 5(l) which require administrative adjudications to be done first. The FTC was using Section 13(b) which seems to let them go straight to court.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    As much as I would like to have stronger controls for corporate entities, it sounds like the law as written doesn't provide them the power to do what they were doing, and continuing to allow them to do so would be legislating from the bench, which is bad from either side.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    The FTC is a toothless organization by design, courts find in favor of intended design, legislature will not do jack shit to give them teeth because then rich donors might get bitten.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

i mean

It was basically invented as the compromise to eliminate the death penalty. Even though it is still effectively a death penalty, just much longer than the length of a gallows.

And there’s still a death penalty anyways

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.