As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's New Consoles! XSX Nov 10, PS5 Nov 12

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    I wonder if Naughty Dog said no to do Last of Us 3 and Sony wants something to fill that void,.

Sony has wholly owned Naughty Dog since 2001. I don't think they get to say no to anything.

Unless they trust ND and let them make their own decisions about what to work on.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    remember when the first game they announced during the PS5 reveal was

GTAV

Not gonna lie, me and two friends were excited GTA5 came to Xbox Gamepass recently and we spent like 8 hours playing it yesterday. It's a lot of fun for an 8 year old game

I don't think I've played a single game on this Series X that was actually made for the Series X. Cyberpunk was the newest game I've played, but that was made for last gen

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Do any series x exclusives even exist yet?

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular

Medium, I think? Though it's on Series S as well, since everything on Series X will be.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote: »

Medium, I think? Though it's on Series S as well, since everything on Series X will be.

yeah, also on Windows, as most xbox launches are now

• Options
    I think Medium might just be the first one to not be on Xbox One as well?

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Darmak wrote: »

GTAV

Not gonna lie, me and two friends were excited GTA5 came to Xbox Gamepass recently and we spent like 8 hours playing it yesterday. It's a lot of fun for an 8 year old game

I don't think I've played a single game on this Series X that was actually made for the Series X. Cyberpunk was the newest game I've played, but that was made for last gen

How are the load times for GTAV on XBox? I tried to get back into it on PC a while back and couldn't handle how ridiculously long it takes to get an instance together even on a pure solid state rig. There is a ton of fun shit in GTAV multiplayer if you can avoid the hackers and griefers but it has got to be the least optimized title in video game history.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    They just patched GTAV to reduce load times a lot. They paid a modder that figured it out $10000.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

GTAV

How are the load times for GTAV on XBox? I tried to get back into it on PC a while back and couldn't handle how ridiculously long it takes to get an instance together even on a pure solid state rig. There is a ton of fun shit in GTAV multiplayer if you can avoid the hackers and griefers but it has got to be the least optimized title in video game history.

It's not awful, but it ain't great either. They're tolerable, but their online system is so fucked up and ass backwards. In a group with friends, but if we try to start a mission or job by going to the in-world starting point, it throws each of us into a separate lobby with random people. We had to figure out that we had to use the menu and select jobs from there and make em private so we could all join up and play together. It sucks and we all hate it, but we put up with it for fun times together

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Trash hatchet has +5% to instant disembodiment

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021

yeah, also on Windows, as most xbox launches are now

I don't know that we'll ever see a pure Series X/S exclusive, which is a strange but good state of things.

captaink on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    They just patched GTAV to reduce load times a lot. They paid a modder that figured it out $10000.

Was that the guy that figured out it was just re-downloading everything a thousand times?

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »

Was that the guy that figured out it was just re-downloading everything a thousand times?

This guy. It wasn't downloading anything, it was extremely inefficient at reading values out of a file.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular

Wildly inefficient

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Oof, I'd forgotten the specifics but that was the one I was thinking of yeah. Fascinating dive into the issue.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular

The first major system software update for the PS5 arrives tomorrow.
    Learn about storing PS5 games on USB extended storage, sharing gameplay across PS5 and PS4 consoles and more: https://t.co/6G9HLmDO5j https://t.co/PouJZTGe9g

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »

The first major system software update for the PS5 arrives tomorrow.
    Learn about storing PS5 games on USB extended storage, sharing gameplay across PS5 and PS4 consoles and more: https://t.co/6G9HLmDO5j https://t.co/PouJZTGe9g

Patrick Klepek is a reporter for Vice.

turning off the PS5 is a pain in the ass. (i assume they haven't fixed this)

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    if you wire your electronics correctly, all you gotta do is yank one plug with your foot and your PS5 is off instantly

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    That assumes it's not intentional

(It's intentional, they don't want you to turn it off, they want you to put it in sleep mode)

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    That assumes it's not intentional

(It's intentional, they don't want you to turn it off, they want you to put it in sleep mode)

it takes the same amount of menu navigation to do that too?

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Oh then that seems crazy

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Hey maybe this'll fix my weird headphone problem where it forces everyone but me to hear their own voices in chat

...maybe

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    it's not really any different in terms of button presses from the ps4

the difference is just that you tap the ps button instead of holding it in now

• Options
    PS5 greatest innovation is making a UI that's somehow less intuitive than PS4. It's as if XBox somehow got patents for the most basic of shit like turning a controller off so Sony decided to turn their UI into a fucking journey.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    PS5 greatest innovation is making a UI that's somehow less intuitive than PS4. It's as if XBox somehow got patents for the most basic of shit like turning a controller off so Sony decided to turn their UI into a fucking journey.

The only, ONLY thing I have liked about the ps5 ui over ps4 is that the media apps sort by most recently used instead of whoever happens to be paying to be at the front.

On PS4 right now all but ONE of the apps on the TV/Video front page are sponsored.

If there’s a way around this I sure don’t know what it is.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    As a completely biased Series X owner, everything about using the PS5 sounds like a complete pain in the ass.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    As a completely biased Series X owner, everything about using the PS5 sounds like a complete pain in the ass.

Its not really. I don't even notice that stuff.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular

Its not really. I don't even notice that stuff.

It was mostly just like, unintuitive for the first few weeks while you adjusted to the UI, or if there's an issue you need to resolve outside of your usual several buttons

It's not something that has really bothered me since

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    It's not just the UI, the whole process of installing games and updates sounds bad and trying to get into a group chat sounds like more of a pain than I'm used to. This is really just me saying that people bag on the Xbox's UI but I think all consoles are fucked in their own unique way.

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Worst case I can find is 6 presses to turn off, 5 for rest mode. But after doing it once it takes about a second to go through? I don’t see why it would be an issue.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Holding down the PS button on PS4 brought up the power menu, it doesn't on PS5.

That's the only real change I notice regularly.

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    Holding down the PS button on PS4 brought up the power menu, it doesn't on PS5.

That's the only real change I notice regularly.

Yeah now you bring up the same menu by just clicking it.

• Options

It's not like it's unusable it's just silly. Since 360 you could manage an XBox power and a controller power from the same menu just by holding the XBox button on the controller for 1.5 sec but on PS4 you have to hold, go to a sub menu, then another sub menu to turn off the controller and it's like...why?

The rest of it is just fine but I also have a Roku on the same setup as my PS4 for a reason. The PS is really good for games but pretty blah on everything else.

• Options
    I don't think Sony has ever had a good UI

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    The only thing I've actually found awkward with the PS5 so far is closing programs.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    My favorite feature of Xbone/Series X is still quick resume. And the Series X has three quick resumes.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    The hardest thing about using the PS5 ui was just retraining all the muscle memory I have for doing stuff on the PS4.

After a while I stopped trying to do things they way they were done on PS4 and it's mostly fine.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    The PS5 ui is OK, but the PS4 one is better and I miss themes.

The X1X ui is just awful, I hate it. Microsoft just seems bad at ui in general, Teams is hot garbage compared to Slack too.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The PS5 ui is OK, but the PS4 one is better and I miss themes.

The X1X ui is just awful, I hate it. Microsoft just seems bad at ui in general, Teams is hot garbage compared to Slack too.

Deeply curious what you don't like about the Xbox UI?

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    Themes being gone is a bummer because a) I liked the ones I had before and b) upcoming ps4 releases include one as a bonus and I just cant and that's goofy

7yh4xczljsym.png
This discussion has been closed.