As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ghostbusters: Negative Fear Response to Spectral Apparitions, Guarrenteed

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The problem with Eduardo his initial character trait is that he's lazy and doesn't like working. Which, for a character of mexican heritage, is a pretty shitty stereotype.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    The problem with Eduardo his initial character trait is that he's lazy and doesn't like working. Which, for a character of mexican heritage, is a pretty shitty stereotype.

Yeah, thankfully he seems to get better over time, and considering the rest of the characters are reasonably subversive I don't think that was intentionally problematic.

Kylie still deserves so much better. I would be in heaven if we got to see her character return more in line with how she's characterized in the IDW comics. I love her outfits and that she starts off managing the occult book store only to be pulled into Ghostbusters bullshit because she's trying to help her boss Ray out.

It was funny how one of the side comics reveals that Eduardo in that universe is just her slacker co-worker.

• Options
    Another cool thing about Extreme Ghostbusters is they ramp up the creepiness a lot compared to the Real Ghostbusters. Monster designs are way scarier (one episode basically has cenobites) and it feels like the stakes are a little more mature. I feel like they make potential death a concern a lot more frequently.

Also everyone hates the shit out of Slimer when he pulls his bullshit, instead of just Peter, so that's pretty great.

• Options
    This fan-film has been in the making for years. I can't wait to finally see it!
    https://youtu.be/SIlHd6mVzoU

• Options
    Seems like somebody finally started up that Real Ghostbusters rewatch podcast I was too unmotivated to start up.
    The Real Podbusters - https://anchor.fm/therealpodbusters

I haven't listened yet, they only have the first ep about the DIC promo video before the looks changed for the series. The good thing is that this is something I can fit in my rotation since it's not another 1-3hr/episode weekly podcast.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    8kdqpgx6565t.jpg

Found this at the grocery store! It's okay.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Oh snap, I need that in my life! It looks particularly like Pac-Man cereal which is a dragon I've been chasing since the early 90's!

• Options
    I've been looking out for that stuff since the leak. It's supposed to show up a Kroger at some point.

• Options
    In response to the latest teaser featuring the marshmallow mini-pufts:

• Options
    It's Ghostbusters Day (37th anniversary of the movie premier)! June 8th!

Bill and Ivan can explain it:

The Buffalo Ghostbusters raised over $8k for the Hook & Ladder 8 firehouse in Tribeca, which portrayed the GB's HQ in the films.
    They also presented the firehouse with a new Ghostbusters sign from Hollywood Collectibles. The firehouse is already in possession of half the screen-used Ghostbusters 2 sign, which they've hung up as a Halloween decoration but after it was damaged and repaired fans figured we'd better step-in and give them something built to last so the original can be preserved.

There are a few exclusive Ghostbusters t-shirt designs for sale today by some notable fan-artists from different countries.

Also there will be a live Twitch stream at 5pm eastern time with the cast of Ghostbusters Afterlife.

Happy Ghostbusters Day everyone. Celebrate in whatever way you please. Watch the movie(s), binge the cartoon, destroy a luxury hotel, spend the last of your cash on some Chinese food takeout, or just slime somebody you love. 👻

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Listen to Hughes - Thrall Ghostbusters Demo 1983 by Pat Thrall on #SoundCloud
    https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/WujtW
    This is the demo Hughes/Thrall and Peter Aykroyd pitched for the movie. It was declined. There has a been a version posted on YouTube claiming to be the HT demo but it wasn't. Here for the first time it is finally posted. The guy that mixed it had been awake for a week on cocaine. It is one of the worst mixes ever

I'm not sure how much of this description is accurate, but this is the original temporary theme used in trailers and commercials for the original Ghostbusters before the iconic Ray Parker Jr. theme was created.

https://youtu.be/gsJlXMZoMSc

I don't have a full transcript of the lyrics but I was amused by the sequence of "we don't care if you used to own this house". Kinda dark but funny in concept.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Apparently there are three would-be themes out there. I would love to have clean copies of them all.

https://youtu.be/w83KJB8tusI

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Listen to Hughes - Thrall Ghostbusters Demo 1983 by Pat Thrall on #SoundCloud
    https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/WujtW
    This is the demo Hughes/Thrall and Peter Aykroyd pitched for the movie. It was declined. There has a been a version posted on YouTube claiming to be the HT demo but it wasn't. Here for the first time it is finally posted. The guy that mixed it had been awake for a week on cocaine. It is one of the worst mixes ever

I'm not sure how much of this description is accurate, but this is the original temporary theme used in trailers and commercials for the original Ghostbusters before the iconic Ray Parker Jr. theme was created.

https://youtu.be/gsJlXMZoMSc

I don't have a full transcript of the lyrics but I was amused by the sequence of "we don't care if you used to own this house". Kinda dark but funny in concept.

Yeah the lyrics to this song have totally different vibes than what we ended up with.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    That's a VERY 80s song, I think the one we got is a lot more timeless.

• Options
    No doubt it's a terribly 80s song, compared to the end result. Just goes to show you how much raw luck and good snap-decisions played in the final product and its timeless success.

Always keep in mind that this was a movie created by the guys who previously did Meatballs and Stripes. That's probably the tonal expectation the industry and the public had for it, if they were already fans of the actors/writers/director.

• Options
    New Trailer
    I still like what I see ...quite a lot.

https://youtu.be/HR-WxNVLZhQ

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I will forever get chills at the sound of the Ecto-1 siren.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    that looks preeetty dope.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    I will forever get chills at the sound of the Ecto-1 siren.

Proton pack powerup is the one that gives my spine shivers.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    OH MY GOD THAT END STINGER

SHOOOOOOT IT INTO MY VEEEEEEINS

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Wanna really get hype?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cTv40aQYdM

I love this concept. there's a lot of heart behind this.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I know there are a lot of very nice people, some of whom are in this thread, who come to ghostbusters primarily for things like the lore and the continuity and whatnot, and there's a lot of stuff in there that's custom-made just for them, and I'm happy that they're getting it, I truly am

but like

that's the trailer for a ghostbusters movie? and I don't think I saw a single joke?

maybe the station wagon thing if you squint?

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I know there are a lot of very nice people, some of whom are in this thread, who come to ghostbusters primarily for things like the lore and the continuity and whatnot, and there's a lot of stuff in there that's custom-made just for them, and I'm happy that they're getting it, I truly am

but like

that's the trailer for a ghostbusters movie? and I don't think I saw a single joke?

maybe the station wagon thing if you squint?

Yeah, that looks like a decent trailer for an action movie. Which seems kind of weird to me? It feels kind of...grim.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I'm willing to buy that that's just a weird marketing choice, though

I was and still am an apologist for Answer the Call and the marketing for that movie was dogshit

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So I looked at the other videos on the YouTube in that trailer.
    Top: 10 signs the government is run by Sandovarians. (Ivo Shandor was the Gozer cult leader who build Dana Barret's building.)
    Where are the Ghostbusters now? I think the pictures on the right are of current day Dan Aykroyd and Bill Murray.
    Proton Acceleration with Megan Asomething, can't make it out.
    Savage Science of the Proton Pack with a picture of Adam Savage.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I'm so conflicted about this movie

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'm willing to buy that that's just a weird marketing choice, though

I was and still am an apologist for Answer the Call and the marketing for that movie was dogshit

here's a clip they dumped online like, months ago that did more to sell me on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43CTgfwoa3Y

like, if they bring this energy to the ghost stuff, I'm on board (and I'm pretty confident that you don't bring Paul Rudd into a movie like this if you want it to be 100% serious business at all times)

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    either way they made an extremely good lego ectomobile for this movie so it's worth it on that front even if the movie is bad, which it very well might be

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I'm so conflicted about this movie

I don't think you can win. You can't cast any adult modern comedians because they're all raised on SNL and are terrible. The good ones are few and far between but don't fit the schlubby/nerd mold needed.

So they cast kids, but the kid from Stranger Things is annoying. I've never seen the girl in anything so I don't know what she's like.

But they also cast Paul Rudd. Who is just Paul Rudd in everything, distractingly so, to the point every time I see him in the trailers I just think "It's Paul Rudd". The Ghostbuster films and the game stories are typically filled with cynical people, either running a business or surrounded by idiots from organizations or politics. The fun is that they are rodent exterminators for ghosts. This seems to strip all of that out and is going for a coming of age tale around which they can build this Ghostbusters universe they've been clamoring for, for at least a decade.

And then it's Sony, who are fucking shameless, and have blatant product placement everywhere just in the trailer alone, which makes it feel cheap and tacky, disgustingly so. Like that Doritos bag is gonna take me out of whatever scene that is because its blatant and bright red.

The one positive is they seem to be somewhat adapting the story from the PS3 video game which was pretty good. But I'm calling 60% RT and a cap of $500 million.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I'm not feeling especially hyped about this film and I think that's perfectly fine.

I guess that's better, to go see it and possibly be pleasantly surprised by it, than get hyped up over something that disappoints me.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    From that director commentary on the trailer above:
    Apparently Ray has a tattoo on his arm with a quote from Winston?

Man, Winston better be in this movie in some capacity. Dude was baller.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    I don't think the first two films are as joke heavy as some folks are remembering.

There's a little bit of ghosty slapstick, Bill Murray doing one liners while being a skeev, and avatar of human destruction being a cute mascot.

Maybe you could consider animating the statue of liberty as a gag, but when I was small that wasn't funny, it was Fuckin' Awesome.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    I don't think the first two films are as joke heavy as some folks are remembering.

There's a little bit of ghosty slapstick, Bill Murray doing one liners while being a skeev, and avatar of human destruction being a cute mascot.

Maybe you could consider animating the statue of liberty as a gag, but when I was small that wasn't funny, it was Fuckin' Awesome.

Ghostbusters (1) is almost wall to wall jokes of different kinds. Dry reactions to supernatural events. Ridiculous lore being cited as if it was normal academic research. Rick Moranis stuff. Bill Murray making just straight up one liners. It's (the first one) a very good time, you should check it out again if you've forgotten.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    The thing is the first 2 Ghostbusters movies have a fairly light tone overall despite the apocalyptic plots. Plus ray gets a blowy from a ghost... I'm worried about how grave and reverent this trailer was.

• Options
    Complaining about product placement is ridiculous. Venkman literally gives Egon a Nestle Crunch bar. They are blatantly eating Cheezits and drinking Coke and named beer. There was product placement ALL OVER the 1984 movie.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Incredulity of the existence of ghosts is baked into the Ghostbusters mythos at this point.

Like, what's easier to believe? That ghosts exist and only just now that evidence comes forward, and it comes from three disgraced scientists in New York and basically nowhere else, or that the evidence was likely forged by a group of fraudsters who were eventually arrested for releasing noxious chemicals that cause mass hallucinations and then blew up the top of a skyscraper and got sued into oblivion.

You'd think they were full of crap!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Complaining about product placement is ridiculous. Venkman literally gives Egon a Nestle Crunch bar. They are blatantly eating Cheezits and drinking Coke and named beer. There was product placement ALL OVER the 1984 movie.

that's a big twinkie

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I forget how old I was when I learned that Ghostbusters and Back to the Future were labeled as "comedies," but it sure surprised the hell out of me.

Like, what's next? Jurassic Park? Terminator 2?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    For reference, here's the trailer for the 1984 Ghostbusters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQAljlSmjC8

It's not exactly chock-a-block with laughs either.

euj90n71sojo.png