As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Homeowner/House] Thread. How long is it going to take? Two weeks!

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    You may want to put some desiccant up above the acoustic tiles, too. It won't prevent mold from growing but it'll keep the air dry in that area.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea the big thing is if it is a big open space is to seal up the shower, then open up the ceiling below and point a box fan at it for a while to make sure everything is super dry.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Might also be worth checking that the seal around the drain hasn't failed. That was a surprise we had to take care of before we listed my wife's condo.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, when your realtor uses O Fortuna as the BGM for your home tour video:

https://youtu.be/3dberhcXoSk

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I'm glad that they have seating so 8 people can watch comfortably while you bench press.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    The song makes sense when you consider it looks more like an evil villains lair than someone's house. They just know their clientele. Entirely bleach white glossy home, easy to clean bloodstains off of! Is that a shower or a gas chamber, who can say? Even the blue led lighting is subtly creepy. The whole place could easily pass as a Kill Bill set.

StarZapper on
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I wasn't sure at first but if the white dalek visible through the hallway windows in the last couple seconds of the video conveys...sign me up.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    So, when your realtor uses O Fortuna as the BGM for your home tour video:

https://youtu.be/3dberhcXoSk

That was incredibly impressive.

Just... not in the way it was intended.

• GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    It's like Vector's house in Despicable Me.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Oh yeah I could see a great white tank in there

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The kitchen looks like a coroner's office.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Patrick Bateman Would put an offer on that place, and then leave his card, judging the realtor on how they accepted it and what the quality of their card was.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Patrick Bateman Would put an offer on that place, and then leave his card, judging the realtor on how they accepted it and what the quality of their card was.

Then he would try to shove a cat into an ATM for his down payment.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    I feel like the hallway with the pressure doors and circle windows really needs a full size xenomorph statue scaling the wall

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    did some work in the planters this weekend
    haven't really touched them since we bought the house in January

this
    qczvwhnccm5m.jpg

becomes this
    v82urzc9crde.jpg

pulled out some of those yellow bushes to plant my wife's roses
    they've been in pots and moving with her from apartment to apartment and she's glad to finally get them in the ground (hopefully they survive the transplant)

that rhododendron is kinda weird where most of it died and they trimmed away all the lower branches... gonna keep the top bit alive but maybe we can encourage the new growth at the base and make it a short bush again

pruned down the rest of those yellow bushes, whatever they are they're really fun to prune since they seem to have leaves all throughout, I just keep making them smaller and smaller and they kept looking good

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    It's closing day today.

kp7jscv7lelq.png

In 2 hours this will be ours.

The left half of the house is the "MiL suite" that my wife and I currently live in. The right half is the original house. I didn't include the garage in the shot because my FiL's camper is sitting in peak white trash mode in the driveway right now while he repairs it forever, it is his Sisyphus Boulder.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    How do we feel about Ryobi? I'm not expecting pro-level stuff but are they halfway decent for the home gamer?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    How do we feel about Ryobi? I'm not expecting pro-level stuff but are they halfway decent for the home gamer?

For home gamer chinese battery tools they are pretty good. If you don't go in expecting Japanese Makita quality, you should be pretty happy. Ryobi is certainly a step up from Porter Cable and the like.

That_Guy on
  • BullheadBullhead Registered User regular

My current set of cordless stuff is all Ryobi and it's been solid for everything I've thrown at it, no complaints.

96058.png?1619393207
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

For home gamer chinese battery tools they are pretty good. If you don't go in expecting Japanese Makita quality, you should be pretty happy. Ryobi is certainly a step up from Porter Cable and the like.

I'm invested in the Ryobi One+ ecosystem, and the tools are solid for what I need.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited April 2021
    I’m hopelessly locked in to the one+ nation though I’ve never run into an issue where my tools were deficient

Captain Inertia on
    I had some older Craftsman C3 stuff that I believe was made by Ryobi and it never let me down. I have slowly been replacing them with Milwaukee 12V stuff that is better, smaller, and heavier duty, but if you'll not be using them for lots of heavy projects then the other benefit of Ryobi over some other systems will be the large variety of tools they have on the same battery.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    To play devil's advocate, sometimes form factor can outweigh the battery ecosystem convenience, in my opinion. For example, the Bosch 12v drill/driver combo has the absolute best form factor/ergonomics/compact size for the average homeowner (and often contractors alike), and is only outdone in power by Milwaukee which costs 3-4x more. 18v drill/drivers like the Ryobi (or any 18v) are much larger and heavier than the 12v brothers, and let me tell you if you ever have to do work in a tight space, often just won't fit at all. That said, there's not a lot in the Bosch 12v ecosystem, but honestly I've never minded having separate batteries for separate tools.

That said, if I had to pick an ecosystem, I'd probably pick Milwaukee 12v, but I'd probably also have to spend $1000 to get all of the same tools.

Simpsonia on
    edited April 2021
    I just finished converting from 20 yo Milwaukee to Dewalt 20V. The battery size difference is drastic.

I also have some other drills for light jobs (Bosch) that use the batteries that load into the grip instead of a brick on the bottom

My brother inherited his FIL's Ryobi cordless tools and he loves them!

Mugsley on
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Offer accepted. Some initial relief at hunting being over, followed by, "Oh shit! I've got to get what done by when??"

Simpsonia wrote: »
    To play devil's advocate, sometimes form factor can outweigh the battery ecosystem convenience, in my opinion. For example, the Bosch 12v drill/driver combo has the absolute best form factor/ergonomics/compact size for the average homeowner (and often contractors alike), and is only outdone in power by Milwaukee which costs 3-4x more. 18v drill/drivers like the Ryobi (or any 18v) are much larger and heavier than the 12v brothers, and let me tell you if you ever have to do work in a tight space, often just won't fit at all. That said, there's not a lot in the Bosch 12v ecosystem, but honestly I've never minded having separate batteries for separate tools.

That said, if I had to pick an ecosystem, I'd probably pick Milwaukee 12v, but I'd probably also have to spend $1000 to get all of the same tools.

Yes, weighing in form factor was one of the main motivations for switching over to their 12V tools for me, the price being why I've been taking my time! I installed cabinets in my laundry room and it'd have been a bear without this for some tight spots:
    https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Innovations/M12/2505-20?bvstate=pg:2/ct:r

Only if he clinks those tongs together at least 2-3 times before using them.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

No joke I have tongs that I 100% pretend attack my god-daughter with when I grill.

And she gets mad at me if I don't.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    That’s what they’re for

• BullheadBullhead Registered User regular

No joke I have tongs that I 100% pretend attack my god-daughter with when I grill.

And she gets mad at me if I don't.

This is the way.

96058.png?1619393207
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I have it on good authority that if you have two sets of tongs you have to wear a long sleeve shirt, pull it over your head a little, then hold the tongs in each hand as you obscure your hands in the sleeves, and pretend to be a crab.

I'm fairly certain that's a federal law.

Don't go to jail just because you don't understand tong etiquette, folks.

Twitch: Thawmus83
    All grillers evolve into crabs

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

wait doesn’t that summon a bottle of A1

5gsowHm.png
    Syngyne wrote: »

wait doesn’t that summon a bottle of A1

Sweet Baby Ray's.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Ok so, I always hated yardwork as a kid but now that I'm a lawnowner and Dad™ suddenly I have an urge to keep this thing looking pretty but have no idea what actually goes into it...

Only vague plan I have right now is too get a shitload of clover seeds to sow in with the grass... I like the look of a mixed grass/clover lawn and it sounds like that should be heartier than just grass.

What are you supposed to do about dandelions? If you're cool with poison do you just roundup the fuckers when you see em?

I'm not too excited about watering during summer... does letting it go brown mean I'm guaranteed to get more weeds cropping up opportunistically?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Ok so, I always hated yardwork as a kid but now that I'm a lawnowner and Dad™ suddenly I have an urge to keep this thing looking pretty but have no idea what actually goes into it...

Only vague plan I have right now is too get a shitload of clover seeds to sow in with the grass... I like the look of a mixed grass/clover lawn and it sounds like that should be heartier than just grass.

What are you supposed to do about dandelions? If you're cool with poison do you just roundup the fuckers when you see em?

I'm not too excited about watering during summer... does letting it go brown mean I'm guaranteed to get more weeds cropping up opportunistically?

If you go with a clover/grass mix, (most) herbicides that kill dandelions will kill the clover too.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    The only way to truly get rid of dandelions is to poison the heck out of your lawn. The closest you'll get otherwise is to hand-dig them out every year, which will slowly reduce their numbers.

nibXTE7.png
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    The only way to truly get rid of dandelions is to poison the heck out of your lawn. The closest you'll get otherwise is to hand-dig them out every year, which will slowly reduce their numbers.

Assuming the yard isn't really infested with them, a stand up weed puller is quick and easy. Something like https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Deluxe-Stand-up-Weeder-4-claw/dp/B0030MIHAU You just step on it to push the teeth into the ground and then lever it out. Easier than a hand tool, or worse pulling by hand.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

Assuming the yard isn't really infested with them, a stand up weed puller is quick and easy. Something like https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Deluxe-Stand-up-Weeder-4-claw/dp/B0030MIHAU You just step on it to push the teeth into the ground and then lever it out. Easier than a hand tool, or worse pulling by hand.

I mostly eliminated my lawn's dandelion infestation with one of those. Couple of hours wandering the yard and I had a big ass pile of weeds. Almost none have grown back so far this year. Way more effective than when I tried to Roundup them away.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
This discussion has been closed.