As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services] Cable Television for the Internet Age

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Every time I see Gilmore Girls on Netflix I find myself thinking "Oh, yeah, that'd be a good background show to put on!" and then I remember there's seven seasons and a frankly kinda weird eighth season and find something else.

Gilmore Girls is what you'd get if you let The CW make a tv show but got Aaron Sorkin to write, like, one character per episode.

I love the show, dialogue that's borderline too fast is basically where I live, but there's just too much of it and it all flows into itself.

tbh something like House is what I'm gonna fall back on if I just need background noise because at least it's largely disconnected.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I showed my cousin and her boyfriend the first episode of Invincible the other day. She asked why a bunch of the characters were just knock-offs of the Justice League, and her boyfriend was surprised the creator of The Walking Dead had made a kid's show.

Seeing them react to the twist at the end was soooooooooo satisfying.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I showed my cousin and her boyfriend the first episode of Invincible the other day. She asked why a bunch of the characters were just knock-offs of the Justice League, and her boyfriend was surprised the creator of The Walking Dead had made a kid's show.

Seeing them react to the twist at the end was soooooooooo satisfying.
    It was kinda meh at first, but when they hit, they hit hard. That scene where Omni-Man was just gonna straight merc Immortal without warning was great.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Invincible is way better than I thought it would be, though I've never read the comics. I constantly pause it to identify the voice actors and holy guacamole that cast

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Finished season 2 of Infinity Train. I think it was stronger than the first, and seemed to be better at handling the 10 minute episode length.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I watched the first episode of this Dark show and it is throwing a lot of mysteries and strange occurrences at me. If I get invested, is there a payoff or do I get jerked around like what Lost did to me?

stay with it, imho it has a very good resolution.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Watched the 3 episodes of the new mighty ducks show, I like it? Like it feels like a modern ducks and a combination of the old one, while trying to appeal to both parents and kids. Rewatching the first movie, its funny Gordon seems to turn off hockey as a common defense for his own failures.

I do wonder if the show will call back to Gordon being an attorney again since the mom is working at what seems like a pretty shitty law firm doing bad things.

I had forgotten the original ducks were more bad news bears to start then the new ones.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    Invincible's voice cast is incredibly stacked, though I was a bit underwhelmed with Michael Dorn's performance as Battle Beast.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Preacher wrote: »
    Watched the 3 episodes of the new mighty ducks show, I like it? Like it feels like a modern ducks and a combination of the old one, while trying to appeal to both parents and kids. Rewatching the first movie, its funny Gordon seems to turn off hockey as a common defense for his own failures.

I do wonder if the show will call back to Gordon being an attorney again since the mom is working at what seems like a pretty shitty law firm doing bad things.

I had forgotten the original ducks were more bad news bears to start then the new ones.

From the dim, fuzzy view of old age version the shiny-new view of youth, Gordon turning into an unstable high-paid lawyer after being pressured into, and failing, at being a sports star by his father and coach makes so much fucking sense. It's not just a miracle that Gordon manages to see where he went wrong by coaching the kids, it's a miracle that he doesn't have his own kid at that point whom he has ruined with insane pressure and expectations.

What a revoltingly positive film.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Tarantio wrote: »
    Invincible's voice cast is incredibly stacked, though I was a bit underwhelmed with Michael Dorn's performance as Battle Beast.

I liked the meta bit of casting Worf as Battlebeast tho, who's basically the anti -Worf in comics in that regard, Battlebeast ain't getting merced by some rando just to show they strong like poor Worf

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Tarantio wrote: »

I liked the meta bit of casting Worf as Battlebeast tho, who's basically the anti -Worf in comics in that regard, Battlebeast ain't getting merced by some rando just to show they strong like poor Worf

As someone who's never read the comics, my reaction to Battlebeast was "holy shit, who is this absolute badass???"
    Having that powerhouse just hanging out around a bunch of lower-tier threats without any indication how much stronger they were than everyone else was a surprise.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    The Invincible TV show is already better than the comic.
    Kirkman just is not a good writer. He is basically incapable of having nuance in anything he does - it all has to be explicit.

The added TV show plot points of Mark's gf, the demon detective/the mystery surround the guardians are just so much better than the comics. Also Machinehead and his auto-tuning voice when he got excited was really good stuff.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »

From the dim, fuzzy view of old age version the shiny-new view of youth, Gordon turning into an unstable high-paid lawyer after being pressured into, and failing, at being a sports star by his father and coach makes so much fucking sense. It's not just a miracle that Gordon manages to see where he went wrong by coaching the kids, it's a miracle that he doesn't have his own kid at that point whom he has ruined with insane pressure and expectations.

What a revoltingly positive film.

Honestly having watched the film again Gordon seems like he has an undiagnosed mental disorder. Like he seems bipolar as hell, also the movie kind of speed runs his redemption, he goes from a being an asshole to "I should care about kids because I should." But that's so much of what happens with all the characters in the movie. A guy can't skate so they take him rollerblading and now he can skate.

The show is a little slower with the development of the kids, but that's the benefit of a show versus a movie.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Richard Ayoade had his show Gadget Man, but it seems he also had a show made called Travel Man that's now up on Amazon, which is where he and a guest would visit a city for 48 hours as a potential weekend getaway from the UK. It's still got product shilling but on a much smaller scale. The only downside is some of the places are just meh, the usual tourist destinations. And since it's based on a weekend getaway, they rarely go beyond Turkey for travel. Still, he did way more of these shows than Gadget Man, and his sometimes insufferable hipsternish is put in check by actually liking some of the places. Good background show.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Richard Ayoade had his show Gadget Man, but it seems he also had a show made called Travel Man that's now up on Amazon, which is where he and a guest would visit a city for 48 hours as a potential weekend getaway from the UK. It's still got product shilling but on a much smaller scale. The only downside is some of the places are just meh, the usual tourist destinations. And since it's based on a weekend getaway, they rarely go beyond Turkey for travel. Still, he did way more of these shows than Gadget Man, and his sometimes insufferable hipsternish is put in check by actually liking some of the places. Good background show.
    mind you some of the product shilling is well earned:
    https://youtu.be/jRi_PLgP6Sw

• Options
    I do have to say I'd almost complain in the new might ducks show I'll spoil this for anyone who cares.

It was a little "he's such an angel" that Gordon got bounced from College coaching for literally caring too much, but that kind of violation does happen in real life and I could see the kind of moral crusader Gordon turns into not just taking an L and a violation and forcing the issue and getting bounced from all hockey. And it was kind of nice that instead of yet again another moral failing of Gordon's it was the opposite, but his "Fuck hockey fuck it" still reared its head because as I said when I watched Mighty Ducks 1, that's his default reaction he has a problem and renounces the sport entirely.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Netflix found another anime to destroy live action style UwU:

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

yeah, but which one?
    Is it 08th MS? or are they going full 90s and doing an Endless Waltz adaptation?

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I finished Who Killed Sara?

I thought it was pretty good. The mystery was interesting and I'm always a sucker for a revenge show. Season 2 is going to come out in May.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Way of the Househusband is out on Netflix. It's alright. The source material is basically translated 1 for 1 and the source material is incredibly strong and funny. The voice actors they got are all pretty good too and help sell it. But the animation is very much "motion comic" style and ends up looking really cheap most of the time. That said, the source material and voice acting are good enough that I'll watch through all of it. I'd recommend giving an episode a watch and seeing if the premise/comedy are up your alley and if you can handle the animation. If so, it should be a great watch.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular

This is hell.

We have died and we are in hell.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    DanHibiki wrote: »

yeah, but which one?
    Is it 08th MS? or are they going full 90s and doing an Endless Waltz adaptation?

I'm going to guess that they're doing a live-action Gundam: The Origin because that way they can just show the Gundam in the last 5 minutes of the film. :rotate:

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Maybe they'll go full awful G Gundam for it's wonderful range of racial stereotype gundam designs.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    my opinion on the Good Place ending has changed and evolved, initially I was upset by it, but ultimately I accepted and then appreciated it

which I think is what they were going for

override367 on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Maybe they'll go full awful G Gundam for it's wonderful range of racial stereotype gundam designs.

Is that the one with like each country sends a single gundam to some tournament? Like the Dutch Gundam had a windmill on it and the Mexico Gundam wears a sombrero?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    The Tequila Gundam, yes.

And the Neo American Gundam is a boxing cowboy surfer, of course. Whose pilot gets powered up by hearing cheerleaders sing the national anthem.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    This sounds amazing, I must watch it.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcKv1nkcchQ

Chibodee Crocket is the Neo American dream.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Honestly, there's been so much awful Gundam material that I can't see Netflix doing it that much worse. Even 08th MS was bogged down by painfully, eye-rollingly tropey anime crap, and that was one of the better Gundam series. And last year I rewatched Gundam Wing, which is just a fantastic array of really really stupid plot points and characters.

I can't think of a Gundam series I've seen that rises above "anime good" to reach even "actually mediocre", and they've all been a far, far cry from "actually good".

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It pretty much has to be about the original series or else I doubt it would make much sense

I love gundam and it works well as a series about the horrors of war mixed with dope giant robits with laser swords. The problem is western mecha movies tend to focus on the cool giant robots over the war aspect.

• Options
    It pretty much has to be about the original series or else I doubt it would make much sense

I love gundam and it works well as a series about the horrors of war mixed with dope giant robits with laser swords. The problem is western mecha movies tend to focus on the cool giant robots over the war aspect.

Yeah, the original series is probably what could best be interpreted into something good, it mostly suffers from simply being old now. But the bones of constructing something good for modern viewing are there.

In the same vein, I think a live action Macross could be done in a pretty amazing way. Getting to see young Rick go from "missing out" on WWIII through years of witnessing the endless, pointless price of war firsthand could be some great stuff.

Also, kickass transforming robot jet fighters!

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I finished Future Man (hulu) last night. I overall liked it but the first half of season one is rough. Derek Wilson (Wolf) is the best part of the show and I think he could carry anything he's in.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »
    I finished Future Man (hulu) last night. I overall liked it but the first half of season one is rough. Derek Wilson (Wolf) is the best part of the show and I think he could carry anything he's in.

He is so perfect in this role that I felt bad for him that this might get him typecast to only do that. He's really just the pinnacle of that character archetype. It's really incredible to watch. I really enjoyed the whole series, the ending feels a bit rushed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Honestly, there's been so much awful Gundam material that I can't see Netflix doing it that much worse. Even 08th MS was bogged down by painfully, eye-rollingly tropey anime crap, and that was one of the better Gundam series. And last year I rewatched Gundam Wing, which is just a fantastic array of really really stupid plot points and characters.

I can't think of a Gundam series I've seen that rises above "anime good" to reach even "actually mediocre", and they've all been a far, far cry from "actually good".

The original Mobile Suit Gundam is capital F capital G Fucking Good.

Like any franchise that's been running for decades, the quality of the product can vary wildly, but there are a number of Gundam releases that are extremely good. Also like any franchise that has been running for decades, it has been so influential that if you are going back to the older series after watching things made by people who grew up on them, they may feel less impressive because people have been inspired by/ripping them off for a while now.

0080: War in the Pocket is my go-to recommendation for folks curious about the franchise. It's only 6 episodes long, which makes for a lot less of a time commitment than the original (but if you like War in the Pocket, go watch the original Mobile Suit Gundam).

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    This will never ever happen, but I'd like someone to do an adaptation of Code Geass that really does the premise more justice and looks at it from a different cultural perspective. "An exiled heir of a colonialist empire uses mind control powers to hijack a rebellion movement and manipulate everyone around him for his own petty revenge against his father" is an amazing premise that you could take in so many ways, and that's before you get to the Lelouch/Suzaku and Suzaku/Kallen conflicts over ideals. It's the only mecha show I know that could possibly be improved by getting rid of the giant robots.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    We've been watching Them on Amazon. The content and setting make it feel very Lovecraft Country-adjacent. It's good in that it's an alternatingly creepy (because horror) and unsettling (because racism) period drama. It's not as good as Lovecraft Country, though. The supernatural aspects are just too indistinct and (I guess spoilers...)
    where Lovecraft Country has Black people meeting the otherworldly and triumphing, Them mostly...doesn't

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I take no pleasure in informing you that I’ve watched the pilot of Whedon’s new show on HBO and kinda enjoyed it. It’s a Victorian steampunk X-Men thingy, and yes I’m disappointed in myself too.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    If it makes you feel better, Whedon was apparently removed as show runner, so he's no longer involved.

I'll probably watch it too, the premise sounds pretty rad.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Yeah, the original series is probably what could best be interpreted into something good, it mostly suffers from simply being old now. But the bones of constructing something good for modern viewing are there.

In the same vein, I think a live action Macross could be done in a pretty amazing way. Getting to see young Rick go from "missing out" on WWIII through years of witnessing the endless, pointless price of war firsthand could be some great stuff.

Also, kickass transforming robot jet fighters!

Well, you are simultaneously in and out of luck. Harmony Gold officially has the rights to Macross now, so they can move forward on their live action Robotech movie.

5gsowHm.png
This discussion has been closed.