As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

In a world, where [Trailers] are fun...

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Art looks gorgeous, but I categorically cannot muster the slightest interest in anime where the story is some online game crap. I don't care how much they dramatize it with flashy scenes, if it's all just a game environment then it's all zero impact for me.

At least with the likes of the Tron movies, there's an actual personal stake in the situation. Heck, I think even the old Digimon series had crossover like that, making it inherently infinitely more interesting than kids driving around some avatars online.

I liked the first and only season of sword art online because it did have stakes, and I liked that him and love interest got married in the real world when they got out, and it had a happy ending and neither of them was stupid enough to ever put on one of those murder vr headsets ever again

not epic high art, but a short anime with a solid beginning middle and end that added stakes to the "you're in a game" setting

I swear one of these "you're in the game" animes had a really creepy incest part to it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Art looks gorgeous, but I categorically cannot muster the slightest interest in anime where the story is some online game crap. I don't care how much they dramatize it with flashy scenes, if it's all just a game environment then it's all zero impact for me.

At least with the likes of the Tron movies, there's an actual personal stake in the situation. Heck, I think even the old Digimon series had crossover like that, making it inherently infinitely more interesting than kids driving around some avatars online.

I liked the first and only season of sword art online because it did have stakes, and I liked that him and love interest got married in the real world when they got out, and it had a happy ending and neither of them was stupid enough to ever put on one of those murder vr headsets ever again

not epic high art, but a short anime with a solid beginning middle and end that added stakes to the "you're in a game" setting

I swear one of these "you're in the game" animes had a really creepy incest part to it.
    No Game No Life had that aspect.

sig.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

That came in later seasons of SAO.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    A good movie in 2021, perhaps? To dream?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z2FxVT6LIE

Optimistic, want to see a red band trailer mother fucker, and Rebecca Front showing up is nice. Elody Yung isn't in it, but we're gonna get Antonio Banderas and Frank Grillo.

That actually looks good. Damn Tex, our tastes are matching up all the time lately.

Wasn't Reynolds a bad ass in the last one though? Is the change just because of the therapy stuff or am I misremembering his badassness in the last one?

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »

Looks good too, especially for a Netflix film.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Ahh, is that why override said the one season he watched? Like is there "oh no step brother I'm stuck can you help me?" moment with the series people know to avoid or something?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021

Ahh, is that why override said the one season he watched? Like is there "oh no step brother I'm stuck can you help me?" moment with the series people know to avoid or something?

It's similar to "too bad they never made a sequel to the Matrix", except the SAO stuff gets way worse.

I've only seen clips of it, so I don't know if there's a specific line, but it gets real bad.

Fencingsax on
  • Options

It's similar to "too bad they never made a sequel to the Matrix", except the SAO stuff gets way worse.

I've only seen clips of it, so I don't know if there's a specific line, but it gets real bad.

Yikes.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Optimistic, want to see a red band trailer mother fucker, and Rebecca Front showing up is nice. Elody Yung isn't in it, but we're gonna get Antonio Banderas and Frank Grillo.

That actually looks good. Damn Tex, our tastes are matching up all the time lately.

Wasn't Reynolds a bad ass in the last one though? Is the change just because of the therapy stuff or am I misremembering his badassness in the last one?
    He was the Felix to SLJ's Oscar.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular

Yikes.

since we're off the rails, i don't want to be wrong but i don't remember any of that stuff in any of the other SAO shows...please don't tarnish my memory. Definitely people can watch the first one and it's fine. The gun one is kind of interesting, everything else is forgettable.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

They were roughly on par, which is what I think made the movie work so well as Tango & Cash 2.0 and what I'm hoping they don't diminish in the sequel. I do find it odd they'd just write out Van Wilder's love interest Elektra so quickly when it's not like she became a big name star, kind of undercuts the last movie's b-plot.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

Yikes.

It comes out in the second season that they're not actually related but they do live together like brother and sister. My memory of it is she meets him in game, falls for him and they find out who each other is ooooooh snap.

Anyways, I know everyone loves Zach Snyder so glad to see that zombie heist flick looks like fun.

Nosf on
  • Options
    I worry about the Dave movie because trailers for that kind of thing can make an absolutely awful movie look good.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular

So, is this based on a game? Where the zombies there before the heist? Did civilization shit the bed during the heist and the team was just cut off?

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »

So, is this based on a game? Where the zombies there before the heist? Did civilization shit the bed during the heist and the team was just cut off?
    What?

Yes.

No.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    So I generally dislike the "nearly people fast and smart" zombie, and I don't care for Zak Snyder; however, that trailer is working hard to make me ignore both of those things. Excellent use of "The Gambler," too. Hmmm. On the other hand, the trailer for Man of Steel was definitely the trailer of a movie I would love to see, so I'll wait for some verdicts to come in first, I suppose.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/fEE4RO-_jug

Looks absolutely ridiculous and the series has jumped the shark a few entries ago - but I am sooo there for it. Just ridiculously fun action.

• Options
    edited April 2021

They're going to space. Those crazy bastards actually did it.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I need to catch up on those, but... I like just imagining the world they exist in. From the outside it reminds me of Saint's Row.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Yeah, I think if they can manage to defeat Thanos at some point, I'll finally catch up on the series.

But only if it involves a Twisted Metal-style race in which they race for the pink slip for the Infinity Gauntlet.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I need to catch up on those, but... I like just imagining the world they exist in. From the outside it reminds me of Saint's Row.

It is very similar to saints row. Starts basically normal and then just escalates into infinity and beyond.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Let's be specific. They're "going into space" in what looks like the Fiero from the last trailer with rockets strapped to it, wearing either old Russian Space suits or dive helmets.

Like whatever the fuck is going on there. I get the feeling they drew the short straws.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Also I just picture Vin sitting down with the writers and its just "Magnets Steve. Magnets.... "

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

Looks absolutely ridiculous and the series has jumped the shark a few entries ago - but I am sooo there for it. Just ridiculously fun action.

well they lose points for not using a Robin Reliant, but man, they're finally doing it, they're going to drift in space!

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    John Cena's only 43? I thought he was older than that, which made the brilliant joke I had about the 50 year old tired of living in the 55 year old's shadow moot.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

We have to keep supporting this series because with the addition of space, we are 2 movies away from this being a mech series.

We need this mech series, people. It will draw us back from the brink.

fake edit: They foreshadow the end of the trailer. those beautiful bastards.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

We have to keep supporting this series because with the addition of space, we are 2 movies away from this being a mech series.

fake edit: the foreshadow the end of the trailer. those beautiful bastards.

I think they've been claiming they're gonna stop at 10

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    John Cena's only 43? I thought he was older than that, which made the brilliant joke I had about the 50 year old tired of living in the 55 year old's shadow moot.

Remember back in Fast and Furious when Dom was a street racer and truck hijacker who spent half his life in jail after beating a man into a coma with a wrench because of a track accident that killed his dad? He was hijacking VCRs.

How small is Cena if that's the shadow he was living in?

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    so small, some say with an untrained eye, you can't see him at all

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

I joke that there was only one season because good god, the show gets really rapey and

HOLY SHIT WHY WOULD YOU EVER SURVIVE THAT AND PUT ON THE MURDER VR HEADSET AGAIN

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

the question is what cena was doing when dom was just a low level street hustler in 1

like was he homeless or something
    i can't wait for ff10 where we get to meet dom's grandmother who is also some kind of evil villain

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

fake edit: the foreshadow the end of the trailer. those beautiful bastards.

I think they've been claiming they're gonna stop at 10

If it's not called Fas10 Your Seatbelts the whole series will have failed

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    God I wish they'd stop making those movies.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »

It is very similar to saints row. Starts basically normal and then just escalates into infinity and beyond.

The series basically started as Point Break but with cars, fumbled through two ill-advised films without all its stars, became the sequel to The Italian Job we never got, turned into the A-Team, then morphed into Saints Row.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G5sbuorlqM

We've been getting a lot of trailers for big dumb action movies so far this month, but this might be the worst one yet.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    God I wish they'd stop making those movies.

I find them harmless. Like, it's our version of James Bond.

All thanks to someone who wanted to make a movie about underground racing, needed a hook, and came up with a cop film.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

the question is what cena was doing when dom was just a low level street hustler in 1

like was he homeless or something
    i can't wait for ff10 where we get to meet dom's grandmother who is also some kind of evil villain

I mean from the trailer it looks like eventually cena gets on the family's side (he's clearly in a magnet car in one of the shots).

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Kind of sad that Han's finally back but he doesn't have Gadot with him.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I joke that there was only one season because good god, the show gets really rapey and

HOLY SHIT WHY WOULD YOU EVER SURVIVE THAT AND PUT ON THE MURDER VR HEADSET AGAIN

Mostly, watch S1 and stop at the midpoint (if you haven't seen it yet, I won't spoil it, but you'll know when). The second half is rough.

But I really like pretty much all of S2. There's a whole stretch where it's just "hey were a bunch of dipshit kids/young adults playing a game together, this is pretty cool" and it was just a decent watch.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
This discussion has been closed.