As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BEER] The Lacing on This Thread is Breathtaking. Mouthfeel

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Picked up the first two-pack of beer I ever encountered. It's a caramel imperial stout aged for a year in rye whiskey barrels.

bhtokz6m6158.png

Not really my thing, sadly. Kind of flat, with a much sharper flavor than I expected and a kind of musty back end.

On the one hand, I'm sad that I paid twelve bucks for two beers I'm not that into, but on the other I'm relieved that I didn't fall in love with a six dollar beer that's almost certainly a limited edition.

Ah, well. Glad I tried it.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I’ve been drinking beer all day!!

Had a blueberry kettle sour called Turning Violet.

‘‘Twas good!!

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    My mother in law lives in like a duplex and the couple who live in the connected house had an “adult” Easter egg hunt last night so today while the kids have been hunting eggs I’ve found 3 beers!

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    My mother in law lives in like a duplex and the couple who live in the connected house had an “adult” Easter egg hunt last night so today while the kids have been hunting eggs I’ve found 3 beers!

Did you check the fridge? That's where I find beer most of the time.

DarkPrimus wrote: »

Did you check the fridge? That's where I find beer most of the time.

These were out in the wild! Wild beers!

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    While I'm not Catholic, I applaud their regular clergy for the ways they get around Lenten dietary restrictions. This afternoon I'm finishing off my final salvo of trappist goodies for the season. I've got a 1.75L St Bernardus 12, a Rouchefort 10 quad ale and half a round of Chimay Abbey cheese. My Easter brunch is going to run around 2200 calories, 60g of protein, and 2 days worth of saturated fat...bring it on!

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited April 2021
    I was reading an article about how Trappist beer may not be around a lot longer because we’re running out of Trappist monks.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    Well, hell, tell 'em they can just make some new...oh. Oh, shit.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Vatican has been cost cutting under Francis. The mendicant and trappist orders have been losing operating funds, making recruitment more difficult, especially against ones like the Jesuits that offer a world class education so one will have secular opportunities if they encounter a crisis of faith.

And due to a fire I know at least one of the Chimay yeast strains were lost.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular

Vatican has been cost cutting under Francis. The mendicant and trappist orders have been losing operating funds, making recruitment more difficult, especially against ones like the Jesuits that offer a world class education so one will have secular opportunities if they encounter a crisis of faith.

And due to a fire I know at least one of the Chimay yeast strains were lost.

Sounds like we need to fund someone to pickup Lars Garshol's work full-time. Lars spent a lot of time traveling through Scandanavia and Eastern Europe cataloguing obscure yeast strains at small local breweries. He's the one that discovered some previously unknown farmhouse strains and got them back to labs for investigation, preservation, and commercial use. One of his discoveries, the Norwegian Kveik strains, are damn near a miracle strains that can brew clean beer even at temperatures as high as 100F, and doesn't produce phenol esters. Beyond that, they are incredibly aggressive and can ferment to terminal gravity within 2-4 days, which is a massive boon to small brewery production timelines. Originally selected and evolved because the tiny Norwegian farmhouse breweries didn't have much in the way of temperature control or sanitation control, the only way to make clean beer was to utilize a yeast that could pitch hot and outcompete literally any other wild yeast strain that made it into the wort.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I'll straight up go become a trappist monk.

Fuck I ain't like talking to people anyway and God knows nobody is getting laid these days. Might as well go do the Lord's work and make beer in silence and contemplation.

Juggernut wrote: »
    I'll straight up go become a trappist monk.

Fuck I ain't like talking to people anyway and God knows nobody is getting laid these days. Might as well go do the Lord's work and make beer in silence and contemplation.

That sort of enthusiasm makes Pontiff Boner seem a likely possibility.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
    I'm drinking a Tripel Karmeliet. What an absolute stunner of a beer.

Like, it's the perfect spring/summer beer. Super zesty, rich and just a little bit of wheat. Plus it's 8.5% abv so it's still a heavy hitter despite how crisp it is.

Real talk, how do you know if a fruited hazy IPA has gone rotten or is just too hazy for you? Like I see a lot of people talking about how thick and bitter this beer is but still giving it four and five stars, but I'm worried about the fact that it tastes like actual hangover bile.

Fuck, I've got five more cans of this stuff. I think I might need to arrange to lose a bet with someone I don't like with this as the stake.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    The thing I've learned about IPA's is that it's a dick measuring contest to see who can make and then drink the most bitter, garbage slurry of pine needles and grass clippings and then act like it's great.

Which is to say I have no clue. There is every possibility that's exactly how it's supposed to taste.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Real talk, how do you know if a fruited hazy IPA has gone rotten or is just too hazy for you? Like I see a lot of people talking about how thick and bitter this beer is but still giving it four and five stars, but I'm worried about the fact that it tastes like actual hangover bile.

Fuck, I've got five more cans of this stuff. I think I might need to arrange to lose a bet with someone I don't like with this as the stake.

I mean you're not really supposed to put fruit puree in an IPA to get the NE IPA fruity/hazy flavors so that immediately has me skeptical.
    The thing I've learned about IPA's is that it's a dick measuring contest to see who can make and then drink the most bitter, garbage slurry of pine needles and grass clippings and then act like it's great.

Which is to say I have no clue. There is every possibility that's exactly how it's supposed to taste.

These days they've really moved away from being so hop forward/piney. Which bums me out a bit as someone who really likes piney, bitter flavors.

Yeah, I love me a piney IPA, the last five years have been very good to me at the expense of everyone who hates that particular flavor. I guess if this burning acidic mess is the next five years, I'm getting what's coming to me.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    I've actually been dipping my toes into hazies a little as a sort of middle ground compromise. There are a few IPAs I enjoy but for a while, around when hemp started to be the big thing, every IPA I tried was just absolutely disgusting to me and I dipped out completely.

• useruser Registered User regular
    Yeah when it comes to beers I personally like, I'm very much mostly a minimalist over a maximalist. Meaning, I appreciate a beer that has lively flavors that come just from skillful selection and use of just a malt bill and hops -- paired with some excellent knowledge of fermentation and other processes (malt management, hop additions, etc). I mean I know there's tasty peanut butter stouts and delicious milkshake IPAs -- but eh, it's definitely not as hard to make a beer taste like a fruit or a dessert if what you're doing is dosing your beer with those actual non-traditional adjuncts.

But to each their own!

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    user wrote: »
    Yeah when it comes to beers I personally like, I'm very much mostly a minimalist over a maximalist. Meaning, I appreciate a beer that has lively flavors that come just from skillful selection and use of just a malt bill and hops -- paired with some excellent knowledge of fermentation and other processes (malt management, hop additions, etc). I mean I know there's tasty peanut butter stouts and delicious milkshake IPAs -- but eh, it's definitely not as hard to make a beer taste like a fruit or a dessert if what you're doing is dosing your beer with those actual non-traditional adjuncts.

But to each their own!

As someone who's brewed myself, I can appreciate this. As someone who loves tasty beer, I don't really care how it gets tasty as long as they are still using real ingredients, versus like lab created flavors and enhancers. This whole Citrusy hazy/milkshake IPA craze has been heaven for me, especially since most of it is much more citrusy than bitter.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    My favorite beers are the basics. That tripel Karmeliet is an Ale from a 3 grain recipe written in 1679.

Sometimes I get a little fatigued with the amount of choice? Like, everybody is trying to come up with new and exciting takes on beer and boy I sure don't like a lot of em!

But I guess ultimately its a good thing because I guess everybody can find something they like. I just feel like a lot of the stuff I like gets neglected because it's not the hip new thing to be brewing and oh my God I'm old now?

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    My favorite beers are the basics. That tripel Karmeliet is an Ale from a 3 grain recipe written in 1679.

Sometimes I get a little fatigued with the amount of choice? Like, everybody is trying to come up with new and exciting takes on beer and boy I sure don't like a lot of em!

But I guess ultimately its a good thing because I guess everybody can find something they like. I just feel like a lot of the stuff I like gets neglected because it's not the hip new thing to be brewing and oh my God I'm old now?

Ehhh it goes in phases. I'm still waiting for a good porter phase to kick off. One of my favorite styles of beer is a nice clean crisp Kolsch. God a perfect Kolsch is just perfection in simplicity. I wouldn't want to drink it exclusively though. I love trying new beers. Who knows what a brewery might discover that could be the next amazing thing.

Thing is to remember that Ale recipe was new in 1679 and I'm sure some monks were going "WTF is this upstart shit?".

• useruser Registered User regular
    Karmeliet used to be my golf course beer, back when I did that. It's pretty good! It is true very few NA breweries make Tripels -- I think one of the better ones is by Unibroue -- La Fin du Monde.

Oh man Kölsch are so good.

Birds Fly South Ale Project is about 4 minutes from me and while most of their stuff is funky farmhouse stuff they make a Kölsch that I about drink like water.

If you ever stumble across Days Like This, buy it and if you don't like it I'll pay you back.

These days I'm way into boozy stouts that taste like chocolate milkshakes, but unfortunately most of the local breweries see those as seasonal winter brews. During the warm months, it's all fancy sours, which I like in moderation.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    I love me a good dessert stout but yeah, in the hot months I can't drink them. I am very much a seasonal drinker. Ales, lagers, whits and pilsner in the summer, stouts, imperials and the occasional porters in the fall/winter.

edited April 2021
    I'm definitely a lager/Sours/not bitter IPA drinker in the warmer months, and beers with more body in the winter.

webguy20 on
    I'll drink a pumpkin spice imperial stout on the fourth of July, and there's not a cop in the world can stop me.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    That wouldn't bother me.

Getting somewhere near Pumpkin Spice PB&J Imperial Stout is about when I'd consider calling the feds.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
    Man all this talk of a good Kolsch has me decided what my next brew will be. With fermentation and lagering it should be ready right around Memorial Day. Now to find a good recipe.

Simpsonia wrote: »
    Man all this talk of a good Kolsch has me decided what my next brew will be. With fermentation and lagering it should be ready right around Memorial Day. Now to find a good recipe.

The trick is the 2nd round of clarification in a 2nd carboy. Its risky, you can accidentally oxygenate it or infect it, but the result it worth it. The batch I made was crystal clear when it came out of the 2nd round. Not a bit of sediment. It looked and tasted amazing.

webguy20 wrote: »

The trick is the 2nd round of clarification in a 2nd carboy. Its risky, you can accidentally oxygenate it or infect it, but the result it worth it. The batch I made was crystal clear when it came out of the 2nd round. Not a bit of sediment. It looked and tasted amazing.

You mean lagering in a secondary? Was going to try and avoid that by fermenting in a corny with a floating dip tube (so I can avoid trub when racking), cold crashing, fining with gelatin and lagering for 3-4 weeks or so in the primary, then rack to a serving keg. Normally I don't usually super care about having commercial level clarity, but with the light crisp styles I feel like you kinda have to try.

edited April 2021
    webguy20 wrote: »

You mean lagering in a secondary? Was going to try and avoid that by fermenting in a corny with a floating dip tube (so I can avoid trub when racking), cold crashing, fining with gelatin and lagering for 3-4 weeks or so in the primary, then rack to a serving keg. Normally I don't usually super care about having commercial level clarity, but with the light crisp styles I feel like you kinda have to try.

You have more equipment than I did when I did the lagering, so that should probably work just fine. I just had two carboys to shuffle the brew back and forth. I think with Kolsch part of it is the clarity, so yea, you gotta try. I didn't use gelatin but the cold crash and lagering was able pull everything out of suspension.

I was lucky that I had a fridge that went up to 55, and down to just about freezing, so I was able to do everything inside of it with a pretty good temperature control.

webguy20 on
    user wrote: »
    Karmeliet used to be my golf course beer, back when I did that. It's pretty good! It is true very few NA breweries make Tripels -- I think one of the better ones is by Unibroue -- La Fin du Monde.

I love pretty much their whole catalog. Everything they make is at least drinkable, if not downright delicious, though I gravitate more towards Trois Pistoles, their Belgian dark ale.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I had a draught last weekend. Might have brought me tears.

Fuck off and die.
  • tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    Picked up the first two-pack of beer I ever encountered. It's a caramel imperial stout aged for a year in rye whiskey barrels.

bhtokz6m6158.png

Not really my thing, sadly. Kind of flat, with a much sharper flavor than I expected and a kind of musty back end.

On the one hand, I'm sad that I paid twelve bucks for two beers I'm not that into, but on the other I'm relieved that I didn't fall in love with a six dollar beer that's almost certainly a limited edition.

Ah, well. Glad I tried it.

This is pretty wild, that beer wasn't supposed to be in stores and was delivered to I think one store by mistake.

I genuinely like 405 over most of the other things in this area. A couple of my buddies actually started brewing but haven't gotten their own space, so they bounce around doing different collaborations. They've just released one with 405 called Gettin Jiggle with It. Its like an orange jello cream wheat beer. Its pretty good.

uw88jy20ajxu.jpg

Yeah, there were just four cans of it sitting on the shelf at Byron's, the cashier seemed as baffled as I was by the whole thing. I'll definitely try to track down the Gettin' Jiggle Wit It, that sounds great! And 405 is definitely one of those brewers where I'll try just about any of their new stuff I come across.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Things are warning up (at least around my little part of the globe).

What are your go to summer beers?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Where I used to live there was a microbrewery that did a Cucumber Kolsch in the summer that was absolutely divine.

I'm always down for a decent Shandy, Ephemere Pomme (crisp apple ale) from Unibroue, and Hoegaarden.

~ Buckaroo Banzai