As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Space Sim Megathread | Getting a Barbarosa from the Vigor Syndicate is Hard

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Pretty sure they tell you to make sure you upgrade your shields before that happens

... I'm already running top-of-the-line shields on this ship;* it's a captured ... Discoverer Vanguard? ... that came with Mk3 shields (forget the race), and nothing I've found has been an upgrade for it.

* And mk2 guns; I've had absolutely no problem dealing with Xenon Ms, Ns, and Ps.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Then I don’t know. The only time I ran into that was right close to the end and you would be in either a Moreya or katana

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Been trying to do the Split achievements.

Got the one where you have to take revenge after starting in a crap ship. That was challenging but not impossible.

The one where you have to take over both sectors of Guiding Light is proving to be near impossible, though. I keep getting beat back from the sector after stalling out.

First sector was ok, did it with one Odysseus Vanguard, but the second sector has two defense stations and I was able to take out one, but the other one just stomped me flat.

Going to try again shortly. I have two Odysseus Vanguards and hopefully will have 3 or 4 fully kitted out before trying again. I do rather wish I had a better idea how to make money in X4 CoH, though.

I also kinda wish the Split would help me with taking these sectors over. Dunno how to drive them into the war. I'm guessing the best thing to do would be to fly around the Split sectors and do building missions to build their economy up?

Also, I had some Yaki ships earlier, lucked out and got a random Yaki raid and captured a small and medium one. Those were NICE. I sold them not realizing I needed to take over TWO sectors, though. Is there a spot in the game where the Yaki raid on the regular? Or do I just need to luck out again?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    If you have any non-split destroyer you can solo stations with enough time. Just don’t get in range of the defensive emplacements.

Otherwise you’re going to need a fleet. A carrier for clearing turrets and a carrier for bombing also is nice.

There are plenty of ways to make money. From trading to mining to stations to capturing ships to doing missions.

Fleet procurement missions are particularly lucrative. Just make sure to grift hard.

Edit: as an example. Without a s/m ship factory I make about 50m on a Terran fleet procurement mission. Which is just buying ships from the Terran and then getting them to where they need to be.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    If you have any non-split destroyer you can solo stations with enough time. Just don’t get in range of the defensive emplacements.

Otherwise you’re going to need a fleet. A carrier for clearing turrets and a carrier for bombing also is nice.

There are plenty of ways to make money. From trading to mining to stations to capturing ships to doing missions.

Fleet procurement missions are particularly lucrative. Just make sure to grift hard.

Edit: as an example. Without a s/m ship factory I make about 50m on a Terran fleet procurement mission. Which is just buying ships from the Terran and then getting them to where they need to be.

Yeah, I was spoiled as the first two I took out had no defensive emplacements.

All I have to do to take out the sector is take out the defensive platform building part, right? Once the icon changes from the shield to the 3 boxes, that's good enough? In my current save I have managed to get good rep with Argon, so the rest of the sector didn't attack me when I went after the defense platform I was going after, but the resulting swarm of small ships ate me alive before I could escape. Might try the other way around this time -- go after the Wharf's defensive building, if that's all that has to die, then leave the sector, return, and go after the last one to flip the sector.

• Options
    NebulousQNebulousQ Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    For me, one of the quickest ways to build up an initial pot of money is to manually purchase advanced satellites from equipment docks wherever they are cheapest (say around 90k) and manually sell/refund them at wharfs wherever they are most expensive (say above 130k). If you use a medium ship that can hold 100 advanced satellites you can make around 4 million per buy/sell cycle.

The drawbacks to this method are:

I don't think you can automate this, you must manually command a ship to buy and then manually command them to sell after they have acquired the satellites. You also need to search for equipment docks that are selling low and wharfs that are buying high. This is made easier by selecting a ship, right clicking on the dock or wharf, and selecting upgrade ship to see what the prices are.

It also doesn't seem scalable as the prices of satellites increase in the equipment docks as you buy them and the prices slowly decrease in the wharfs after you sell them. I believe this to be based on the amount of wares in the station that are relevant for creating the satellites; thus the prices kind of reset as the relevant wares are added to the docks or used up by the wharfs. Thus if you have multiple ships buying and selling advanced satellites you will more quickly cause the prices between equipment docks and wharfs to equalize thus eliminating any profit you could make. Perhaps you still can make more profit with multiple ships doing this, but it will take much more attention I think than just using one or two ships to make a run when you remember to send them to do so.

The benefits to this method are:
    It is consistent, with a little effort I was able to have a ship dedicated to buy/selling advanced satellites somewhat continuously making the cycle and periodically netting me around 4 million profit per cycle. (Whenever I remembered I ordered the ship to buy or sell satellites.)

It stimulates the economy as you use up resources in equipment docks which may be less utilized and you move a few resources to wharfs where they are in need.

Edit:
    Another drawback:

You also need the capital to purchase a medium ship with 100 advanced satellite capacity and the capital to buy 100 advanced satellites to get the cycle fully going. You can build up to this with smaller ships and less satellites at least.

NebulousQ on
  • Options
    It is kind of scalable in that you can buy a “maximum preset” at one station and then a minimum preset at the other. And with big enough ships and expensive enough parts your profit can be large. Once you get an s/m production facility you can make even more by making the ships and then selling them via the unequivocal menu since you produce at resource cost and sell at a resource cost multiplier)

The best run is probably from the HOP equipment dock using the M gunboat to anywhere. This is because you can equip the really expensive railguns x5 (plus 100 adv sats) at the equipment dock and then un equip somewhere else. It also may be possible to stack a lot of missiles in a similar fashion by adding whichever launcher has the most expensive ordinance. Or going from Terran space to elsewhere in a falx (5 hella expensive engines and 4 hella expensive guns!)

With this method you can probably get up to 10 million profit per run (about 1/3 of a 30 million cost ship).

As an example a single falx produced at my station makes 40 million minus resource cost per. Which is probably 30 million net. But I try not to do a lot of that.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    KiTA wrote: »

Yeah, I was spoiled as the first two I took out had no defensive emplacements.

All I have to do to take out the sector is take out the defensive platform building part, right? Once the icon changes from the shield to the 3 boxes, that's good enough? In my current save I have managed to get good rep with Argon, so the rest of the sector didn't attack me when I went after the defense platform I was going after, but the resulting swarm of small ships ate me alive before I could escape. Might try the other way around this time -- go after the Wharf's defensive building, if that's all that has to die, then leave the sector, return, and go after the last one to flip the sector.

I don’t know. You might have to take out the administrative section so that there is no claim on the sector. I do not know whether or not that changes the icon from a shield or not

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    It is kind of scalable in that you can buy a “maximum preset” at one station and then a minimum preset at the other. And with big enough ships and expensive enough parts your profit can be large. Once you get an s/m production facility you can make even more by making the ships and then selling them via the unequivocal menu since you produce at resource cost and sell at a resource cost multiplier)

The best run is probably from the HOP equipment dock using the M gunboat to anywhere. This is because you can equip the really expensive railguns x5 (plus 100 adv sats) at the equipment dock and then un equip somewhere else. It also may be possible to stack a lot of missiles in a similar fashion by adding whichever launcher has the most expensive ordinance. Or going from Terran space to elsewhere in a falx (5 hella expensive engines and 4 hella expensive guns!)

With this method you can probably get up to 10 million profit per run (about 1/3 of a 30 million cost ship).

As an example a single falx produced at my station makes 40 million minus resource cost per. Which is probably 30 million net. But I try not to do a lot of that.

Interesting, I hadn't thought about shuttling the equipment around as well.

So to summarize, you are saying that in addition to buying adv. satellites at equipment docks, you also purchase weapons/turrets/ammunition/etc. at the docks to sell at wharfs? Can you customize presets to include purchasing a set amount of adv. satellites or other consumables?

I'll have to check that out as it would save some time in the buy/sell cycle. I've never reached the point of producing my own ships, so for now I am just considering and recommending using a ship to buy/sell adv. satellites (and now perhaps other equipment as well) for quick profit.

• Options
    Yes you can customize buy/sell settings buuut you have to have the equipment at the station and the rating to buy for each specific preset besides the default minimum/low/medium/high.

High, by default, does include some consumables. Minimum includes none. So when selling you can select the min preset to automatically sell all equipment at any wharf. But when buying you need a special maximum preset for every factions equipment dock since the engine, shield, and turret types you can buy will change. Though it’s easy enough to select high and then slam the advanced sata

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    I am going to have to put this game aside for now, it is just too buggy and filled with systems that just don't work. I think it might be a fun game in the future, but for now there is too much wrestling with nonworking systems and not enough playing the game.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    NebulousQ wrote: »
    I am going to have to put this game aside for now, it is just too buggy and filled with systems that just don't work. I think it might be a fun game in the future, but for now there is too much wrestling with nonworking systems and not enough playing the game.

I hate to say it, but don't hold your breath. For 20 years the X series has been mountains of bugs and barely functional systems. X4 is arguably as good as it's ever been in that regard, but it's a low bar. Best recommendation is to embrace mods and hope there's one that smooths over your specific issues. Because while Egosoft do patch the game in general, holding out hope that they fix any specific issue you're having usually ends in disappointment. In my case, X's feature set is unique enough to keep me coming back over the years despite all their issues.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    This is by far the most "bug free" X game in history.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Mainly I am going to see if they fix repeat orders which often just don't work when buying and selling and if they reduce station spam. It is getting too frustrating to wrestle with repeat orders for buying and selling. Perhaps I'll get a mod to give 5 stars to everyone so I can skip repeat orders and use distribute wares and auto trading.

• Options
    Also a lot of stuff that “doesn’t work” does work but in slightly unexpected ways

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Also a lot of stuff that “doesn’t work” does work but in slightly unexpected ways

Yeah and they've always been bad at explaining how stuff works so you're never quite sure if it's something you're doing wrong or if it's just plain broke.

• Options
    Ok, through the magic of save scumming I have got the 3 major CoH Yaki achievements, I think. Haven't got Mission Accomplished yet, but that one seems to require the AI do something, so I'll do it last I guess. And there's also A Heart for Pirates, which I haven't seen a mission for but it sounds like it requires you take over all the Xenon sectors around the Yaki area, and screwwwww that.

I take it these are for a different plot line?

From the Shadows
    Sow discord between two allied Factions without them realizing (requires the Cradle of Humanity expansion).

This Ship has Sprung a Leak
    Blow the whistle on the whole operation (requires the Cradle of Humanity expansion).

Cold Feet
    Decide that the Status Quo reigns supreme (requires the Cradle of Humanity expansion).

And thus I'm not doing anything wrong with the Yaki plot line?

Has anyone made a list of the stuff you can get from the Yaki total? Trying to get an idea for a minmaxed "best run."
    Give the little ship away: Get a free Katana, an M-class Terran ship
    Take it to the PHQ: Keep the little ship, which Xenon won't attack

Destroy the Amplifier: Get a 5 star Yaki pilot and a heavily modified Kuraokami, the M-Yaki ship.
    Activate the Amplifier, Kill the Ship: The Xenon start actively and constantly invading Terran space.
    Activate the Amplifier, Don't kill the Ship: Unknown, presumably Terran rep penalty + Xenon start actively invading Terran space?

Tell the Terrans the Yaki are a threat: The Terrans will begin sending invasion fleets into Xenon+Yaki space every 15 minutes until they're destroyed; you do not seemingly lose Yaki rep for this?
    Tell the Terrans the Yaki aren't a threat: The Terrans won't send the fleet in + Yaki rep (if not at +20 already)?
    Both: You are given a Sin, a L-class Terran ship you cannot buy after you undock. (You can buy the blueprint for it, however.)

I'd keep Litigious Rodent, the Moreya ship, as it has a seemingly unreplaceable side effect; unless it's like, a special paint job you can do at any time or something. Destroying the Amplifier gets you a good ship + pilot, which is useful.

I got both the sectors needed for the Split achievement only to discover there's a 3rd sector that needs taking over. BAH.

Going to try this another way and start propping up the Split economy. Maybe they'll join in if I do.

• Options
    Taking over the xenon in those sectors isn’t that hard once you’re access to a shipyard. You can do it with a single Osaka but it will take a long time and can easily do it with a Asgard and it doesn’t even take that long. Asgard with a good quality purple dmg/cooldown on the main gun will solo the sector pretty easily regardless of what they’re fielding.

I one shot I’s.

The real lategame mission is freaking terraforming. 1.3 million metallic micro lattice coming right up!

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    0jw05qnys5nh.png

In the end, I did it with the Sin and 2 Odysseus Vanguards from OOS.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I picked up Rebel Galaxy Outlaw in the recent sale and have played it a bit. It's pretty good so far. I'm not sure, but I have a suspicion that the devs have played Privateer once or twice (the game is a huge love letter to Privateer, even down to stuff like the cursor on the map). One thing that really surprised me is this game has one of the coolest custom music systems I've seen. Not only can you use mp3's to create a custom radio station to go alongside the other in-game radio stations, but you can also have folders for things like station music, combat music, and even the main menu theme. I also like the Firefly-esque wild west theme these games have going.

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed the first Rebel Galaxy...we'll see if Steam has a sale this summer. I do want to play Outlaw, but I'm also very cheap.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I really enjoyed the first Rebel Galaxy...we'll see if Steam has a sale this summer. I do want to play Outlaw, but I'm also very cheap.

I got it for a little over $10 this weekend, so I would expect it to be at least that cheap come the summer sale.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Outlaw is pretty damn cheap. It's also pretty good.

• Options
    Good news: RGO is on sale and I got it for cheap!

Bad news: One of the two main devs has apparently burned out on game programming and support for RGO is over and done with?

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Rumor mill suggests the next DLC for X4 shall be pirate focused.

People are lead to this conclusion because the project name was leaked. It’s name? “Ahoy!”.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    Rumor mill suggests the next DLC for X4 shall be pirate focused.

People are lead to this conclusion because the project name was leaked. It’s name? “Ahoy!”.

That could be anything. Cookie-themed, for example.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Personally I was hoping it'd be Houshou Marine themed, but we do know some basic things about it thanks to the fact that Egosoft applied for a grant from the Govt.

The DLC is set to include more sectors, ships, pirate factions and storyline.

Interestingly enough they received double the amount they got for Cradle of Humanity.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    This was probably mentioned at some point in the thread and I don't remember, but this apparently was just released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEVrdwZ9bEk

It's basically TIE Fighter remade in X-Wing Alliance.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    holy crap!

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    That's amazing and the remastered soundtrack sounds great but holy shit the bloom in that video is off the charts. Way overdone!

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Make X-Wing in the Squadrons engine, please.

Edit: Actually they’d probably need a new engine because Squadrons seems to fake so many things about the space you’re in that it wouldn’t work for something with lots more ships that are often much further apart. Also the physics aren’t good.

But something that looks like that.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    I saw on the XWAU mod (the base mod required for this Tie Fighter one) has a beta add-on for VR support... I'm going to have to try this out.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    Apogee wrote: »
    I saw on the XWAU mod (the base mod required for this Tie Fighter one) has a beta add-on for VR support... I'm going to have to try this out.

Yes it looks amazing. I don't have a VR setup, but between the improved virtual cockpit and the VR support it seems like a whole new game, in a similar vein to the Freespace upgrade.

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    Apogee wrote: »

Yes it looks amazing. I don't have a VR setup, but between the improved virtual cockpit and the VR support it seems like a whole new game, in a similar vein to the Freespace upgrade.

Did the Freespace upgrade ever get VR? Last I was able to find info the devs were saying is was next to impossible...

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    No...FS doesn't have virtual cockpits (don't mean to be condescending, I'm sure you know this) so I imagine flying in VR would be impossible...I just meant in general the updates to both XWA and Freespace are astoundingly good.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I can't remember if it was in this thread or not, but I really appreciate whoever pointed me to Rebel Galaxy Outlaw when I asked about games that were similar to the old Privateer game. It is perfect.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I can't remember if it was in this thread or not, but I really appreciate whoever pointed me to Rebel Galaxy Outlaw when I asked about games that were similar to the old Privateer game. It is perfect.

Yeah. I have a few complaints about the game, but it's mostly around how they decided to link the universe together, the ship aesthetics, and similar nitpicking. It scratches that Privateer itch damn near perfectly.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I could definitely see the ship aesthetics being an issue. I also think the option to paint your ship is lacking, unless you want to spend hours hand-drawing (with your mouse) the designs you want on it. If you use the fill option, it paints the entire ship the same color. I would have like the option for some shapes or stripes.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    I could definitely see the ship aesthetics being an issue. I also think the option to paint your ship is lacking, unless you want to spend hours hand-drawing (with your mouse) the designs you want on it. If you use the fill option, it paints the entire ship the same color. I would have like the option for some shapes or stripes.

RGO has probably the most fully featured paint editor ever included in a game. I don't know how anyone could call it "lacking". You don't really even need to paint anything by hand, you can just import entire images and stamp it on the ship if you want.

• Options

RGO has probably the most fully featured paint editor ever included in a game. I don't know how anyone could call it "lacking". You don't really even need to paint anything by hand, you can just import entire images and stamp it on the ship if you want.

If anything, it had too many features. It needed a tutorial or something. I loaded it up once and couldn't figure out how to just repaint sections of my ship, so I didn't mess with it after that. I would have preferred a lite mode with more traditional paint options like decals and color groups.