As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] this is now the old thread!

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Still pretty crashy for me after the early hotfix patches! It does make you wish you saved getting into your ship.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    i just leave the stream open on a second monitor
    got all the goodies

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    i just leave the stream open on a second monitor
    got all the goodies

Right, but if the amount of time is so long that we're all just putting it on background tabs or otherwise ignoring it... then it hasn't really served it's purpose of getting people to watch the game on Twitch.

It's so long that it negates its own usefulness.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I assume that Twitch Drops campaigns aren't really to get you, someone who already owns the game, watching someone else play the game you own. Idling inflates the streamers' viewer counts, attracting new viewers who don't own the game yet but may be interested (and tempted by free stuff).

This is especially effective for F2P games as there's no purchase price acting as a barrier to entry. And if even a small fraction of those curious Drops-chasing viewers are converted into paying players, it's a win for the game company.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Yeah, the only things you need linked are your Twitch and your Steam/XBox/PSN accounts, so I don't believe you even need to own the game.

Edit: yes, NMS web site confirms you don't need to own NMS to get the drops now.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    the point is that i got a bunch of free cool shit in the game!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Should finally be done with the season expedition some time tomorrow, whenever the fleet missions finish. In the meantime I got a couple of neat screenshots.
    DFFE63D4004A18E2F01B1F2517EE6526FAB8E8FD
    8BD9138F01E4FEE3F3B33CA3F3F4AE3A5BEBD474
    DC81F7DEB5FFB013EAFDE3F7A9764373E20F1790

And an amusingly ironic one.
    79425BAB6F5692BA404DA445F75196428E449F87

• Options
    8353810A525F526C45E6FAFD9E600BFC422DDBC0

dey she is, PC preorder ship parked just to the left. (the original Vector is the PS4 preorder ship, so they share similar designs)

The best part about it is that it does not come with a Photon Cannon installed, so that's an extra free space. It comes with maxed tech slots(21) and 29 regular slots, so I'll have to do a bit of module farming in the station but not bad at all.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Should finally be done with the season expedition some time tomorrow, whenever the fleet missions finish. In the meantime I got a couple of neat screenshots.

remind me the best way to acquire/craft frigate warp cores? i went to start this mission and realised expeditions mode doesn't hold your hand with it :lol:

also i couldn't find frigates for sale anywhere. saw one merchant class but it wouldn't interact with me

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    bsjezz wrote: »

remind me the best way to acquire/craft frigate warp cores? i went to start this mission and realised expeditions mode doesn't hold your hand with it :lol:

also i couldn't find frigates for sale anywhere. saw one merchant class but it wouldn't interact with me

Honestly just ignore frigate warp cores, they're only actually needed if you plan to warp using the freighter, you don't actually need them to call the freighter to a system. You will however need a lot of Di-hydrogen and Tritium to make Frigate Fuel to send the little frigates on missions. Tritium you can farm by just blowing up asteroids for a couple of minutes. Easiest way to get Di-hydrogen is by breaking down Di-hydrogen gel from vendors(1:50) or breaking down Tritium(5:1).

Little freighters can only be bought when they have a green sale icon on them on approach. Open a radio channel and you will get the option to buy it.

• Options
    You will however need a lot of Di-hydrogen and Tritium to make Frigate Fuel to send the little frigates on missions.

that's what i mean. somehow i feel like i didn't automatically have the crafting recipe. maybe i need to do the starter tutorial quest or something, or maybe i'm just dumb? or can you get the recipe at nexus?

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    iirc you need to research it from the research terminal in the bridge of your freighter.

• Options
    alright! it looks like the final milestone i'll need in the expedition is the underwater ruin / horrific treasure one. i got the nautilus set up and searched a few deep water regions on a couple of planets, but nothing so far.

will it help to go through all of 'dreams of the deep'? are there overlaps in the rewards?

the nautilus is just so fucking slow.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Easiest way to do it is to just farm derelict freighters, occasionally you can loot a horrific treasure and it counts just the same.

• Options
    Easiest way to do it is to just farm derelict freighters, occasionally you can loot a horrific treasure and it counts just the same.

ah. that makes sense

i just realised i was using the sonar wrong; you can select it from the menu and scan specifically for ruins with a huge range. i just assumed it was the scanner (which also doesn't work without the sonar installed)

i'll probably go through with the 8 ruins thing if this success rate holds

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    yeet! now and then:

WKHH6Gl.jpg

got a bunch of cool photos from the expedition. i'll write them up and post them tomorrow. for now though, what a great experience! love this update.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    the first expedition!

loved the rendezvous system in general, and the choice of points. it gives the experience a sense of connectedness without necessarily having to be "online", much like the early community missions

OkF50un.jpg

it was cool to have a streamlined process - and reason - to get to the coloured star systems early on, because they always have some interesting planets
    PGojfLx.jpg?1

gKpKmw7.jpg

foU0Mkt.jpg

vz2NWtJ.jpg

gR3VcfO.jpg

space combat is fun but not really explored too much here. it could be a focus on a future expedition or update:
    jrQ7IIu.jpg

the theme for me was getting into some of the mechanics i'd never really spent much with before:
    obQfnF0.jpg

w8lPMIW.jpg?1

4Qi6l9G.jpg

FSJPeLS.jpg

ellpexn.jpg

hYUL1Vg.jpg?1

i did get distracted at one point by a beautiful planet that i wasted a few hours on, building a totally surplus-to-requirements base:
    uA1HW6L.jpg

Z5amD2f.jpg

pqLuUjq.jpg

but at some point you gotta hit the road!

FEDSkt4.jpg

of the final grindier milestones - horrific treasure, storm crystals, explorers guild, probably others - i definitely found the storm crystals the most unexpectedly fun. i wound up on a "caustic floods" moon which was lousy with sentinels and tiger-sized predators who stalked me through the storms. it was super tense, broken up by introspective moments of sheer beauty

aGhSYh0.jpg

at the end of the day though it just remains an incredible universe to explore!
    1h7q9NR.jpg

Y9Orj8R.jpg

HFQW3kQ.jpg

and i loved the ending :biggrin:
    tKCzOin.jpg

(i'm really glad they chose to show off a planet without large/copious flora, as as far as i know they were not in the game for a long time)

this mode is highly recommended to anyone who hasn't played in a while. it takes probably 20-30 hours to complete and it guides you through some of the most interesting mechanics in the game. it's well worth it!

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah the game is really overdue for a space travel overhaul, especially the combat. Given Hello Games the question is probably more when than if, but hopefully sooner rather than later.

• Options
    I'm preeeetty sure we getting a Space Combat update (with fighters getting a small visual update like explorers did) and Trade update (ditto for haulers).
    not that i have any info, but it makes a ton of sense.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    tbh at this point if they said "No Man's Sky is complete, we're working on NMS 2" i'd be pretty stoked. it's clear the game's potential is being hampered now by the older gen of consoles. i'd love to see some of the whack, complex terrain back, and actually be able to see foliage cover from something higher than hovering height. the pop-in right now is atrocious, worse than it's ever been, and i'm not wholly sure it's a glitch

it'd be cool if they found a way to revisit some of the old school worlds ingame before they say adieu, but if not i'm happy to move on. and i'd be very surprised if they aren't already working on a sequel.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    This version of Community Expeditions does look like the beginnings of an exit plan, content-wise

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    This version of Community Expeditions does look like the beginnings of an exit plan, content-wise

Maybe, I mean it's kind of a tour through some of the features, and I could see the next season focusing on vehicles, another maybe on base building, etc.

And that's fine. I prefer this style of "seasons" (similar to how Diablo 3 does it) substantially more than the "games as service" sort of titles like Destiny and others do, that has a loooooooooooong grind for the seasonal content, because they're dead set on keeping your eyes on their game and their game alone for the entirety of the seasons. It's too much, it forces you to play even if you don't want to, or miss out entirely. Here though, I can spend a weekend or two having some fun, get the rewards, and move on. I'm also far more likely to recommend someone grab the game in a sale for it, because I know I'm not getting them into something with continual costs and excessive time requirements.

I imagine Hello Games is on that same wavelength, and based on how they've treated the game for the past 5 years, they must have some excellent data and numbers to back up the way they've massively updated the game, regularly, for free, and still allow the studio to stay open and seemingly thrive.

As far as an exit-plan, though...maybe? It's hard to say, honestly. In my brain, NMS was always the sort of game that didn't ever get a sequel, because it would just be updated iteratively over time, adding features and making engine updates for new consoles/tech, vs starting over from scratch. The problem with sequels for any game that has gotten updates over time is that, as we saw with Destiny 2 for example, development overlaps with the previous title, but the new title is more isolated development, so a lot of improvements and content from the prior game aren't easily translated over into the sequel. You risk releasing a sequel that has substantially less content than the prior game, and all the problems that comes with, and if you want content to be on any level of parity you either have to come up with an extremely novel way of developing the sequel that integrates the predecessor development into the sequel development, and while I'm sure that's possible, it seems like it would be more sensible to just integrate it all into the existing game, and just finally have a paid "expansion", or if they're extremely confident in their game at that point, a subscription of some sort. Plus, just consider how long it's taken to get where we are now, 5 years of post-release updates and likely a few years before release at launch. I don't think they're a large enough studio to have had the majority of their developers producing a sequel while keeping updating the original so much; but I definitely don't know for sure that's the case.

Honestly, I'm really surprised they haven't at the very least introduced a means to outright buy quicksilver. I wonder if they're afraid it will become too appealing to only develop "cool" stuff for the potentially paid cosmetics, as seems to happen with other games. I'm absolutely fine that they don't, just surprised they haven't found another way to monetize the game at this point.

Also, as far as the limitations of last gen, while they're definitely there, I don't think the new gen has established itself enough to justify sunsetting NMS and launching something new, when even having access to a next-gen console is still a crap shoot 6 months later, and on the PC side, it's just as bad if not worse trying to get the high end GPU's to be on par with the PS5/XBSX.

I wonder, based on pure speculation, if the Expeditions is less a sunsetting or exit plan, and more of a treading water plan until the availability of players with better hardware/consoles is high enough that they can implement some engine updates that would be required for more advanced stuff. Just knowing how much of an issue things like inventory slots are, for bandwidth and memory and performance, for other online games; where are the obvious next steps for NMS? I'd say full ship customization, possibly including Frigates and Freighters. I'd say definitely space station ownership and customization, and/or full system ownership. I'd say some major under the hood engine changes to allow for more reliable and detailed terrain manipulation and generation. And, I'd guess, maybe more important than any of those (as far as tech goes), more fully integrating multiplayer into the entire experience, more than just nexus missions and drop in play.

They've consistently added things that the community has asked for, over and over again, and if anything, these Expeditions seem to me as a testbed for data they need to make some system change to the way the game handles multiplayer and the potential for more in-game community stuff. Prior to this, you'd have communities create "hubs" and such, and you could find areas where people were, in theory, though it wasn't entirely common for a ton of people to be around at any given time. So here comes Expeditions, that funnels anyone who does it, through the same chunk of a universe, ensuring that you're going to get as many people as possible playing at the same time, in the same areas, as you can, to test performance, find bugs and flaws, get hard numbers on what would be likely required in order to more broadly implement systems that intended players to be playing with and around each other more than just by chance or in a single instanced location with the nexus.

So in a way, I think Expeditions is possibly more of a way to get us all to get them the information they need to expand the game without guessing. Or, maybe it's for a sequel. I don't know! Again, though, my money would be on the game continuing to iterate and upgrade, vs a full on sequel.

Anyway, just 7 more frigate expeditions, and I'll have fully completed the first season. :rotate:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Hey, does anyone know, by chance, if there's any way to link your different platform accounts with No Mans Sky to get credit for the expeditions without having to redo the whole thing on each platform?

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    z795oy6lf09m.png

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I really liked the Expedition stuff. It also was really great for kiddo to jump in, kind of a speedrun of tutorial and acquiring blueprints and glyphs etc.

Anyway I put another 80 or so hours into it lol.

I hope they let us hide other players’ save beacons and coms modules tho. Made navigating around expedition space super annoying.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    pls new expedition now kaytnxbye

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Do we know if a new expedition will start soon after this one ends? The page on the main site only says "New expeditions will begin regularly. The duration and length of each expedition will be unique..." but I was curious if Murray had said anything on twitter or whatnot, if anyone follows that stuff?

My No Mans Sky experience this past month has been:

Check out the Expedition thing, haven't played the game in several major patches.

Get kind of into the game again on the Expedition but am not focusing on the milestones really.

Decide to focus on them, kids notice me playing, daughter decides she wants to try the game.

I've got it on the PS4 also, so I figure, sure, why not. Around the time we start, I finish the expedition on the PC, so I get my gold ship which puts me at a significant advantage to her trudging along with garbage starter ships. I can see clearly she'd also like the ship, but unfortunately you don't carry your expedition progress across platforms.

Decide, what the hell, I can do the expedition on the PS4, now I know what to do, I should be able to do it pretty quickly.

Spend a few hours struggling with going to a god awful framerate and a far more buggy game, generally (base PS4, not pro or anything), but start pushing through the milestones.

Keep playing with my daughter, son starts to get jealous and wants to try too. Have to figure out what save files I can lose on each platform to have a save spot for a game with my son, one with my daughter, one expedition, one "main" save.

Why does the game only have 5 save slots? What the actual fuck?

Finish the Expedition on the PS4 and decide it is bugging me I never knocked off the achievements for reaching the center in survival and permadeath, so I decide to do that (PC).

Finish that, then decide it's bugging me that I never knocked off those same achievements on the PS4. While I had been playing through the expedition on PS4 it crossed my mind, but I resolved to wait until I someday got a PS5, but then I realized that 1) the likelihood I'd find one in stock anytime in the remotely near future, at a time I had the money for it, was probably exceedingly low and 2) rumors of Sony doing a redesign to deal with semiconductor issues gave me hope that maybe they'd also redesign the god awful exterior of the PS5, so I might as well wait anyway.

So, I did a permadeath playthrough on the PS4 too.

Realized after about 20 hours of that, that I could have just joined my already complete PC permadeath game, and given myself all sorts of stuff to sell and get going way faster with. :rotate:

Now, I'm fairly sick of playing No Man's Sky! But my son asks me nearly every day to play, and I like him wanting to hang out with me, so I just deal with it. My daughter enjoys it, but she also just started playing FFXIV because she has seen me playing it for years, and a friend of hers asked her to try playing.

Still, I enjoyed the more specific and directed goals of the Expedition, and I'm interested to see what the theme, or direction is for the next one. Apparently I'll be doing it on two platforms at a time though. :lol: Or, I supposed I can just have the kids do it with me so I don't have to deal with the PS4. Maybe it makes me a bad dad to make them use the PS4 while I play on the PC, but, well...:rotate:

EDIT: I wouldn't recommend anyone do the permadeath achievement on the base PS4. The game is super crash happy (relative to the PC anyway, I could get long stretches with no crashes as long as I wasn't doing a lot of terrain changes or base building), and the utterly inconsistent framerate means that you can easily find yourself being attacked by something and get a hitch and suddenly you're getting an Isaac Asimov quote. Protip: if you immediately go to the PS4 menu and shut the game down, you can avoid it deleting your save! I can deal with deaths that are my own fault, but I have no shame "cheating" like that when I die because the PS4 can't handle a game that was deigned for it.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    I'm champing at the bit for the next expedition.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    I'm champing at the bit for the next expedition.

They said two months when it launched on March 19th, so should be soon.

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    The next one doesn't necessarily start the moment the previous one ends.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    I'll be curious to see how they tweak the progression and/or change up the tasks

• Options
    I'll be curious to see how they tweak the progression and/or change up the tasks

The page for it says that each one will have a theme.

Though, thinking about it, I'm not sure what this theme would have been other than "random tasks!"

I said before, I imagine we will see one that is more base building focused (bases on different biomes, underwater, etc), probably one that is exocraft focused (hopefully with a rebalancing of them, because as of right now, none of them are terribly useful; a way to further customize them with more slots, or modules that are more unique to different vehicles would be nice...oh and making them all about 10x faster), and that's all I've got in my brain right now. :lol:

The devs seem pretty keen on listening to feedback in general, so hopefully they got the message on some of the more needlessly grindy milestones, and also not have one where you have to have first contact in so many systems, particularly in an already well explored galaxy. That was frustrating!

Also, hopefully, we get some details sooner rather than later on when to expect a new season.

• Options
    also not have one where you have to have first contact in so many systems, particularly in an already well explored galaxy. That was frustrating!

Also, hopefully, we get some details sooner rather than later on when to expect a new season.

Once I got glyphs, I went to some random planet via portal and knocked that one out. It was just too *many* tho! Wasn’t it like 30 systems?

• Options
    35. Definitely over the line between a reasonable task and unnecessary time sink.

Also the 60 waypoints.

The 15 freighter mission just had the problem of being a time limited thing, that also required a good amount of money for freighters, because even if you only had a few so the time on them would be low, you were still limited to 5 a day.

I guess there was some way to cheese it by failing? I dunno.

• Options
    Well, it was a two month event. I guess if we didn't try to knock it all out in like a week it would have seemed less onerous.

• Options
    Its worth noting you can get individual phase rewards without completing the earlier phases. I only wanted the streamlined jetpack from 4 so I just skipped the freighter missions and left 3 incomplete.

• Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    The next one doesn't necessarily start the moment the previous one ends.

Not necessarily, but it did! Expedition 2: Beachhead is live...

• Options
    It looks like the duration for this one is only two weeks, but it's significantly less punitive than the first expedition. Most of these ones are pretty straightforward, like visit Atlas once, learn 10 words of each language, warp with a freighter once, etc.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    What are the rewards this time? I'm not home right now or I'd just log in and see.

EDIT: Sounds like the rewards, and the expedition in general is pretty buggy right now. I guess some rewards are gated behind community research or something.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    What are the rewards this time? I'm not home right now or I'd just log in and see.

EDIT: Sounds like the rewards, and the expedition in general is pretty buggy right now. I guess some rewards are gated behind community research or something.

The final tier is locked behind an item you receive as a reward after reaching the final rendezvous point. Completing each unlocked task with the item in your inventory will finish phase 5.