As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Weightlifting/Strength Training

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    My coworker (50) had his 2nd dose, worked out that evening Thursday or Friday I can’t remember, and then spent the next couple days with a fever and body chills over that weekend and was good by Monday.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Depends on the vaccine. I got the first shot of Moderna a few weeks ago and it definitely made my arm sore enough I didn't want to do any heavy lifting the day after.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    My first Pfizer shot didn't affect me enough to change my workout, my arm was a little sore but I hit the heavy bag the day after and felt fine.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    From what I've heard from other folks is it's very dependent on the person. Some people are just a little sore and other people are completely laid out for a few days.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    We ended up trying Romanian Deadlifts instead of the regular Barbell Deadlift yesterday and it seemed to go fine? No issues with them and my back feels perfectly cromulent the day after. Hoping next week we can push up in weight on it and see where it goes.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Tried above knee rack pulls for the first time today to try and load my traps up some and not put as much load on my lower lumbar.

Worked up to 315 but even going above knee my lower back was like "yo, what you up to, man?" It didn't hurt but I was aware of it, I guess. So that's maybe a sign I just need to not do those kinds of compound movements at all for a while longer.

I think my plan is to do a three day, chest focused split to try and bring my bench up to snuff and try to get some more pec development happening. Its always been kind of a weak spot for me and I can reliably do it without blowing my whole ass spine and ass out.

I'll hit chest and arms Monday, chest and shoulders wed and then Friday is a free space where maybe I'll do some light leg, back and general accessory work. I guess I'll do this for a month or so and then I'm going to start back on a full body routine and reintroduce (fuckin little ass light baby squat) squats and deads but I'm going to only do 3 days a week to try and avoid over training.

Juggernut on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I'm just takin the day off. lifting something over 10lbs with my injected arm is a little painful. no dramatic side effects at least but might as well rest a day

Got my working bench weight up to about 240 lbs for 4 sets at 5-6 reps each. I think my top set is hovering around 260 for 2 to 3. Not great but a hell of a lot better than I was. Back before the pandemmy my bench goal was to hit 275 for a top set and then ultimately get that for my working sets, too. So I'm actually getting fairly close to that initial goal.

Barbell inclines tend to be pretty whimpy still but I'm focusing on a 2 second pause while in the hole before trying to explode out instead of loading up plates.

• GorkGork Registered User regular
    After a deload week, I started round two of Calgary today. Last time I was in the middle of a bulk. This time it’s the middle of a cut and the difference is noticeable. Doesn’t feel like my ankles totally healed from the box incident, so my squats of 4x7 were unfun.

Oh well, time to climb that mountain, again.

edited April 2021
    I've been getting an odd knee pain in my left leg specifically when doing only my first set of squats with an empty bar during my warmup.

I do not have that issue with weight on the bar or my heavy working sets.

It seems very strange. I added a couple stretches into the warmup around that empty bar set so maybe that is helping? My other thought is maybe something I'm not paying attention to was giving me different form when the weight was that much lighter than my build up/working weight?

I think I'm mentally worried about testing out that second theory though because if I put more weight on the bar and the first set has pain still, i might be more likely to hurt myself.

Maybe my body is just being stiff and angry at the idea of squatting until it gets stretched out/into motion?

initiatefailure on
    I’m going to say you should try rolling out your IT band and quad and see if that doesn’t help.

I absolutely hate how my schedule has managed to dictate two weeks of workouts late evening followed by an early morning lift. It’s like swingshift with weights.

• CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    I've been getting an odd knee pain in my left leg specifically when doing only my first set of squats with an empty bar during my warmup.

I do not have that issue with weight on the bar or my heavy working sets.

It seems very strange. I added a couple stretches into the warmup around that empty bar set so maybe that is helping? My other thought is maybe something I'm not paying attention to was giving me different form when the weight was that much lighter than my build up/working weight?

I think I'm mentally worried about testing out that second theory though because if I put more weight on the bar and the first set has pain still, i might be more likely to hurt myself.

Maybe my body is just being stiff and angry at the idea of squatting until it gets stretched out/into motion?

Following on from what DL said, I started getting IT band issues once I moved to a desk based job. Sitting all day makes various muscles in my hips and legs stiff, and unless I warm up/stretch properly before running I'm almost guaranteed an IT band flare up.

I do a round of;

body weight squats, deep as possible, pausing at the bottom
    body weight lunges
    leg swings, across my body, leaning against a wall or something
    peeing dog stretch? idk what to call it, I go on all fours and open my knee out like a dog taking a whiz, both sides. Doing the standing, 'lifting your knee over a gate' style stretch probably works just as well

Warming up the hips across a range of motion, basically.

• AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    Gyms are back open in England and it has been great. I found innovative ways to add weight to my squats and pushups at home, but it never compared to the real thing. And it was so easy to get distracted and drag out my home workouts way longer than I needed to.

Last year I diversified my workouts a lot more, shifting from a strict power lifting workouts to a power bodybuilding routine, and I think I'll diversify it a little more just to hit a few muscle groups I tended to ignore. Even though I've been lifting for a decade now, I've never attempted sumo deadlifts, and I think it's high time I try. I just... hate deadlifts, so anything that makes them more enjoyable sounds great to me.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    If you have access to a trap bar, trap bar deadlifts are nice variation. Or you could do Romanian deadlifts or Reeves deadlifts which would make you appreciate conventional deadlifts more.

edited April 2021
    Baysian Cable Flyes are great?

Like, these may be my new favorite type of cable fly. I have a hard time feeling any real upper chest activation. Seems like my front delts always try to take over most of the load but I dunno if it's pronated grip but it feels like it takes more of my delts out of the equation and really lights my upper chest up.

Juggernut on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    If you have access to a trap bar, trap bar deadlifts are nice variation. Or you could do Romanian deadlifts or Reeves deadlifts which would make you appreciate conventional deadlifts more.

I love Reeve's Deadlifts. Its an interesting mix between a squat and a deadlift. It also looks bad ass. Do Reeve's deadlifts and Zercher squats and wow the gym.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    edited April 2021
    Damn, I’m tempted to do the Rogue’s Pump N Row challenge. 2000m row and and a bodyweight bench for reps reduces your time on the row by 10 seconds each rep.

I benched 300 for 10 on Monday, so surely I could eke out a few extra reps at 275, and rowing is fun for me.

I know a balls out 500m sprint for me is around 1:35 but that’s not sustainable for a 2k. The only chore is the set up and the filming of it.

Edit: trial run was 7:10 for the 2k with an average split of 1:53, I’m positive I can shave 20 seconds minimum. 12 reps on bench would put it sub 5 minutes which is bound to be competitive I imagine

Dead Legend on
    Did 6:43 and only did 7 bench reps at 125, hit the cups and was spent from the row.

Oh well, pretty fucking decent. Some of the times on the leaderboard are nuts.

edited April 2021
    I haven't posted in a couple weeks. I basically had a stretch where I couldn't get into the gym for almost 2 weeks, did a slight deload and have struggled to get there more than 2 days for the last couple weeks.

But today was pretty good.

I cleared Squats @ 120 5x5. I was still building back up from dropping to help my form before deloading and honestly it's still hard work for me. I'm definitely chipping away at a wall in this rebuild.

I had my first fail on OHP @ 75lb 5/5/4/4/3 this is the plateau i hit prior to the schedule issues so we got work to do.

I *technically* failed deadlift @180 1x5 BUT I did pull a rep which means I have now officially lifted more than my body weight for the first time in my life and I am hype as fuck!

initiatefailure on
  • AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    Deload week and glad for it too, got my moderna and it definitely left my arm feeling like a sack of potatoes.

Weighed in last night just curious to see where I was at, 269. For reference midday Saturday I was 274 with apparel and shoes. This is good, because I’ve been eating cleaner and the weight is trending down. I think it’s been well over a year since I’ve been in the 260’s.

The all time high at the hospital three days before daughter was born in January was 291 in sweats and sneakers, which I was weighing in consistently 280-285 in the mornings.

Not necessarily trying to lose weight, but I am interested in seeing where this goes.

Did squats for the first time today.

Worked up to a piddly 185 lbs for 10 reps. I felt ok, I think? I was hella nervous and I don't know if the instability I felt in my back was actual instability or me being paranoid. I probably could've gone higher but I was sweating bullets at any minute I was gonna have another blowout so I'm not pushing it.

Gotta say. Still demoralized. I've been doing some stuff to try and hit my glute medius which I think is a bit of a weak spot for me, as well as my internal hip rotation. But without knowing for sure what it is that's biting me it's hard to feel like I've improved or fixed anything.

I just want to lift, man. Thats it. I ain't asking much.

• eddizhereeddizhere Scrubber Than A Sponge Scrubtown, USARegistered User regular
    Easing back into lifting now that my vaccine is done cookin. Hit squats at 115 5x5 just trying to watch my form. OHP at 55 5x5 felt easier than I expected (I thought my arms had become noodles). Bent over rows at 85 5x5 were also easier than I expected.

Looking forward to being sore tomorrow and making numbers go up on Friday. Also gonna dip my toe back in on deadlifts to see where I’m at there

League of Legends: Plutoniumwombat
    Smite: Plutoniumwombat
    Well I failed at everything today but it felt good. But i also managed to get to the gym at the time I wanted to so I didn't feel nearly so rushed.

At least today, but maybe not a bad idea in general I added supplemental workouts for each area where I failed my main lift. So in today's case it was everything.

I also finally found time to insert dips. I love dips. It felt like finding a missing piece of the puzzle for my routines. And I (just barely) made it to 30s doing dead hangs so my grip is improving and I'm feeling more the muscles activating in my back and shoulders while doing them.

Now I just need to be less shitty about schedules. Monday is my second vaccine dose so I'm just gonna assume I'm out for that

• ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    I used a foam roller for the first time today. Had a knot in the middle of my outer thigh that stretches just weren't able to correct.

That thing was incredibly amazing but so painful at the same time. It was a very weird feeling that I will repeat for future knots.

Still plugging away. Body weight was down to 192lbs this morning and a month left on my cut, so I’m not pushing the program numbers, but no noticeable strength loss, yet. Good stuff.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Comahawk wrote: »
    I used a foam roller for the first time today. Had a knot in the middle of my outer thigh that stretches just weren't able to correct.

That thing was incredibly amazing but so painful at the same time. It was a very weird feeling that I will repeat for future knots.

At least in my experience with it, in time it will work itself out and it gets easier to do the rolling. My IT bands were a mess and I couldn't even roll them at first, but now it's a breeze.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Comahawk wrote: »

At least in my experience with it, in time it will work itself out and it gets easier to do the rolling. My IT bands were a mess and I couldn't even roll them at first, but now it's a breeze.

It's weird, despite the pain it was still enjoyable?

I think it was because it was fixing the knot so effectively. Just kicking myself for not using it sooner.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    if you were stood with your arms wide and were trying to bring your palms together, elbows bent or even arms straight... what would be the best way to train that? Flys?

I am trying to get better at compression boulder problems, like this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBhEIHLbIfY

And basically I am wondering about what would be the best for developing that arm and should strength to really compress opposing edges

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Hi strong people thread.

Anyone have any experience rehabbing from a fractured collar bone (repaired by ORIF surgery in my case)? I know all injuries are different, but I'm curious if anyone has had to deal with this. I'm about 5 weeks out from surgery, and while my range of motion is good, thanks to some great PT work, I have to wait what could be another two weeks to a month before I can start doing any stretching and strengthening. Getting 6 week follow up x-rays next week. Will obviously wait for my surgeon to clear me for any kind of lifting, but would be interested in any anecdotal experiences.

Also do yourselves a favor and keep your collar bones intact. Not a fun injury.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    Solar wrote: »
    if you were stood with your arms wide and were trying to bring your palms together, elbows bent or even arms straight... what would be the best way to train that? Flys?

video

And basically I am wondering about what would be the best for developing that arm and should strength to really compress opposing edges

So I'm going to ask some dumb questions and you can tell me where I'm way off base: I watched the video a few times and it looks like his arms are out wide and he's pulling himself up the rock, like when he's using his upper body it's to inch himself upwards or support himself while he shifts his feet. Is that right?

So is arm and shoulder strength really the limiting factor? They're relatively small muscles and when I set my arms out wide and imagine holding a wide rock that way I feel it in my upper back more than my arms and shoulder but I've never actually done any bouldering so I might be way off base. Do you need to compress the boulder harder between your arms or do you need to be able to set your arms and stay while you move your feet and also pull yourself up some with your arms in an awkward position?

I know you already do a lot of cool pull ups and hang work for your back but do you do anything for more static, position holding type back strength? This would be exercises like snatch grip deadlifts, zercher carries, heavy sandbag or stone carries, anything where you're having to hold your back set against a moving heavy load?

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Juggernut wrote: »
    It is 100% a pride thing. I set a goal of a 400 pound squat and deadlift and I've been working my ass off to get it and now I feel like I'm being told "nope you failed, your body won't do it, give up." And I'm stubborn and I can't really accept that. The number is kinda arbitrary, it's the principal. I don't care what anybody else can do it's what I can do.

I know eventually I'll get to the top of what I can do naturally and that's fine, everybody does, but I didn't anticipate somebody telling me, at 27 years old, that's the best I'm ever going to get and my body can't handle anymore than that.

I'm going to look around and see if I can find somebody who specializes more in strength training injuries and maybe get a second opinion, I guess. Lifting is one of my few passions and I'm not giving it up. I just need to figure out why I'm suddenly hitting these walls with injuries and how/if I can work around them safely.

Without dream crushing, as you said, it's a point of pride. What is more important? Hitting a number? Or the long term health and stability of your body? Because as someone who works in Physical Therapy, you need to allocate appropriate forethought to what you are putting your body through. Your body is either getting stronger, or weaker, there's no stasis. You don't want your decades of life at age 50 and beyond knee-capped because of what you're doing to it now.

You could have many, many years of heavy lifting ahead of you. But if you're burning the candle at both ends, you're not going to like the results. I've worked with many Vets and manual labors who ignored for YEARS what they were doing to their bodies, "just trying to tough it out." At it works... for a while. And then it doesn't.

That send, the body wants to heal. It wants to regenerate and in most circumstances will do quite well at that. But you should manage both your expectations and more importantly, your timeline. You said you "failed" but that's not the case. There's no shame in rehabbing from an injury.

manwiththemachinegun on
    Peen wrote: »

video

So I'm going to ask some dumb questions and you can tell me where I'm way off base: I watched the video a few times and it looks like his arms are out wide and he's pulling himself up the rock, like when he's using his upper body it's to inch himself upwards or support himself while he shifts his feet. Is that right?

So is arm and shoulder strength really the limiting factor? They're relatively small muscles and when I set my arms out wide and imagine holding a wide rock that way I feel it in my upper back more than my arms and shoulder but I've never actually done any bouldering so I might be way off base. Do you need to compress the boulder harder between your arms or do you need to be able to set your arms and stay while you move your feet and also pull yourself up some with your arms in an awkward position?

I know you already do a lot of cool pull ups and hang work for your back but do you do anything for more static, position holding type back strength? This would be exercises like snatch grip deadlifts, zercher carries, heavy sandbag or stone carries, anything where you're having to hold your back set against a moving heavy load?

Gymnastic rings for sure

edited April 2021
    I was getting a little overcooked heading into my fourth set of six on squats, so I went upstairs and grabbed my mom, who was babysitting my daughter. She had never seen me do any of this before, but really I just needed the motivation of failing in front of my mother/an audience to power through.

Success!(?)

Squats: 305lbs x 4 x 6
    Pause bench: 215lbs x 4 x 6
    Overhead press: 3 x 7
    Bent over row: 3 x 8
    Reverse hyper: 5 x 10

Gork on

video

He's using good technique, yeah, and you always want to try and get as much weight through your feet, but also to do that problem you need to be able to compress in with your arms because although it looks like you can just wrap your fingers around the edges and hang on, you can't. You need to exert inwards pressure with your arms, like you are pressuring the rock to keep your body up and stable so you can move your feet. If you imagine holding a smooth box by the opposing faces outstretched in front of you, you need to exert pressure. Obviously some problems are easier than others, but the principle of "fridge hugging" (as we call it) remains.

What you have asked gets into the "is strength actually that important in a technique based sport" and the answer is that technique is more important but strength helps. So when you say "do you need to compress the boulder harder between your arms or do you need to be able to set your arms and stay while you move your feet and also pull yourself up some with your arms in an awkward position?" the answer is you need to do the latter and sometimes to do the latter you need to be able to do the former.

I am okay at it, but I am never really quite sure how to develop the strength I use with it. I don't really do any kind of deadlifts or carries at all tbh.

Like a much harder example is mossatrocity. Probably a much better example tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk2vr-vA0aI

And while it looks like you slap your hands to those edges and presumably your hands don't just slide off... you have to really press and squeeze in with your arms at relatively close to full extension. So that squeezing, pressing, inwards strength is something that I struggle to conceptualise doing. But yeah gymnastic rings? Like maybe ring chest flys?

Atlas stones, big heavy sandbags would fit the need of being able to exert force through flexion on a difficult object.

Rings I imagine flies, muscle ups, dips, and various holds would be beneficial.

I ordered one of these here things and I got it today and tried it and holy crap it rules. My devotion to finding new ways to row now knows no bounds, I can row with any handle

I ordered one of these here things and I got it today and tried it and holy crap it rules. My devotion to finding new ways to row now knows no bounds, I can row with any handle

Hmm, I got a set of these MAG knockoffs from Walmart (half the price of the linked set). That attachment could make them more fun.

This discussion has been closed.