As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] Breaking the sun in 2022

SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgradeRegistered User regular
edited September 2021 in Games and Technology
First thing is first:
Voice Comms

Introducing: Monster Hunter Rise

More updates on MH Rise soon to come!

What is Monster Hunter?

Welcome to the game where in the goal is to kill off these guys with some form of pointy or shooty implement.

Monster Hunter is a series about hunting little things, making weapons and armor from the bits of the little things then eventually using those weapons and armor to hunt bigger things. Repeat until the next game in the series comes out.

Old Screenshots

xW2u4XK.png
H97GkCr.png
EK02j0t.jpg
wc2pcjF.png
1e7AVC8.jpg

Game Info and Useful Stuff
Kiranico MH Generations database
Athena's Armor Set Search for all game versions.
GaijinHunter’s MHGEN weapon tutorial playlist. Seriously. Watch these for your weapon
Web Based Armor Skill Simulator for when you can't run Athena's
Handy MH Generations Monster chart.

Want to use a bow in MH Worlrd?

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/38919568/#Comment_38919568

Speaking of playing together. The generic PA password for rooms is

PS4 players:

PS4 Community:

Zenny Arcade: World

PS4 player form

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdi-Jnmhg2p9AhYRRKGkIhcldB_-NPGRLXUWwcqp_xQQdVPPw/viewform?usp=sf_link

Responses:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pWPeaIKQtsqlnO4od07FdLzkdQophfu9ibaQ6kAGvdc/htmlview#gid=626456156

For our Xbox brothers partaking in World:
Darkewolfe wrote: »

[PC] World

Steam info

PC player survey
https://goo.gl/forms/lU5KqDhKIuu7YYDp2

Responses
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kflOmrK0sFcj0iD9NqG5HYwhsjRmSYLvhFuNKFshnEA/edit?usp=sharing

Squad group
PA G&T Adventure Team: https://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791431548925

There isa problem with the PC version. Make sure you have these codecs installed before you get to the final boss or the game will save right before an unwatchable cutscene which will make your game unplayable.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/mediafeaturepack

Or

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/web-media-extensions/9n5tdp8vcmhs?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
Seidkona on

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Is the utter lack of info about the April update par for the course with new MH stuff?

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Mmmmm I enjoy this game.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
      Is the utter lack of info about the April update par for the course with new MH stuff?

They typically did a reveal video with content updates in World. Still might happen, I suppose. Not sure.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
      The Apex Rathalos part is the least interesting bit to me. Apexes so far are rampage only, and even though I love rampage, I don't care at all about a new monster being added to it. They are all fought in nearly the same way, what's the point of playing up a new addition? You nuke when you can, and you never really have to get down and dirty with your weapon if you don't feel like it, you can just machine gun the thing.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

I mean they basically told us what's in it, but yeah that's kind of normal-ish. It could also be they're falling behind due to trying to fix other stuff (like that DLC emote hardlock issue). Who knows?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
      Hmmmmm. What should I be doing with Dual Blades?

Let me ask this a different way- I can easily build Archdemon Mode, dodge attacks, and hit silkbinds.

What I'm trying to figure out is what I should be doing for optimal DPS on a fight when I have openings. I'm running Piercing Silkbind/Feral Demon/The Jump move on A.

Right now what I tend to do is build up gauge, hit a piercing silkbind and if I have an opening mash X+A. If I don't have a big opening I'll just hit a few X combos, or do the vaulting dance with A->X->A to pop the silkbind.

Is that....right? Am I missing anything?

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
      God damn HR mag doesn't fuck around. I was in a run that was going great until he like superman dived and carted me and another dude and I felt like such a shit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
      Arch wrote: »

Let me ask this a different way- I can easily build Archdemon Mode, dodge attacks, and hit silkbinds.

What I'm trying to figure out is what I should be doing for optimal DPS on a fight when I have openings. I'm running Piercing Silkbind/Feral Demon/The Jump move on A.

Right now what I tend to do is build up gauge, hit a piercing silkbind and if I have an opening mash X+A. If I don't have a big opening I'll just hit a few X combos, or do the vaulting dance with A->X->A to pop the silkbind.

I'm still a dualblades newbie so I can't help, but I don't like how that one switch action that makes your A launch you also applies to your draw attack. It makes it really awkward to initiate, given that I usually don't want to launch myself right away. I don't want to have to switch it just for monsters that I really want to launch up against, though.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
      edited April 2021

I'm still a dualblades newbie so I can't help, but I don't like how that one switch action that makes your A launch you also applies to your draw attack. It makes it really awkward to initiate, given that I usually don't want to launch myself right away. I don't want to have to switch it just for monsters that I really want to launch up against, though.

You can draw directly into Demon Mode with (Z)R+X+A*. It still has a small attack attached to it but you won't vault.

*EDIT: I guess the default for this is ZR but my muscle memory welcomed the option to swap ZR and R.

Vyolynce on
      nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
      AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
      Vyolynce wrote: »

You can draw directly into Demon Mode with (Z)R+X+A*. It still has a small attack attached to it but you won't vault.

*EDIT: I guess the default for this is ZR but my muscle memory welcomed the option to swap ZR and R.

I can't seem to replicate this. I mean, just hitting ZR causes you to go into demon mode from having the weapon sheathed, but there's no attack and it's not great for approaching enemies . With feral demon set, there is a bit of an attack attached to it, but that happens no matter what. I would still rather do a draw attack that's not demon flight and then activate demon mode out of that.

While testing this, I also learned that the problem I'm having only applies to when you're in archdemon mode.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
      Jesus, JRX what sort of animal did you sacrifice to make your LBG set? I've been trying to see if I can get something similar going, and it is apparently v charm dependent.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
      Brody wrote: »
      Jesus, JRX what sort of animal did you sacrifice to make your LBG set? I've been trying to see if I can get something similar going, and it is apparently v charm dependent.
      All of the good outfits are, unfortunately.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
      edited April 2021

Loads of them, and yes you'll need a lot in the charm. My talisman is fucking sick, 3 EE and 1 EW with a 3 slot

Here's what I've got:

Night Owl w/Attack
      Rhenoplos Helm S w/Quickload
      Shell-Studded Vest S w/2 Absorber
      Rathalos Braces S w/Attack
      Golden Obi w/ Absorber
      Golden Hakama w/2 Quickload
      Fatal Tempest Talisman w/ 3 Evade Extender and 1 Evade Window w/Attack

Total Skills Are:

Attack Boost 5
      Crit Boost 3
      Pierce Up 3
      Reload Speed 3
      Recoil Down 3
      Evade Extender 3

Plus a bunch of other 1 offs

jungleroomx on

Loads of them, and yes you'll need a lot in the charm. My talisman is fucking sick, 3 EE and 1 EW with a 3 slot

Here's what I've got:

Night Owl w/Attack
      Rhenoplos Helm S w/Quickload
      Shell-Studded Vest S w/2 Absorber
      Rathalos Braces S w/Attack
      Golden Obi w/ Absorber
      Golden Hakama w/2 Quickload
      Fatal Tempest Talisman w/ 3 Evade Extender and 1 Evade Window w/Attack

Total Skills Are:

Attack Boost 5
      Crit Boost 3
      Pierce Up 3
      Reload Speed 3
      Recoil Down 3
      Evade Extender 3

Plus a bunch of other 1 offs

Yeah, I managed to guess most of that just by looking at skills available. With Pierce 3 and Boost 3, unless you had 1 point of either on a Charm, you are kind of tied to Rhen/Shell/Golden.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

So what do people use to make charms? I'm starting to get to the area where I need to refine my build with charms.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
      Preacher wrote: »
      So what do people use to make charms? I'm starting to get to the area where I need to refine my build with charms.

Run 7* rampages online, get a pile of various monster materials and Defender Ticker 7. Pour the tickets into the melding pot.

Steam: Polaritie
      3DS: 0473-8507-2652
      Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
      PSN: AbEntropy
      Polaritie wrote: »

Run 7* rampages online, get a pile of various monster materials and Defender Ticker 7. Pour the tickets into the melding pot.

But which melding pot?!

pleasepaypreacher.net
      Polaritie wrote: »

But which melding pot?!

Oh. The 4th one that's totally random. Wisp of Mystery? And then every so often dump all the bad rolls into Rebirth.

Ahh I don't have that one yet. So wait till I unlock that one?

pleasepaypreacher.net
      Yeah, do a batch of 5 in the Wisp of Mystery multiple times. When you have over 2 pages worth of Talismans, then use the Rebirth one to garbage the terrible ones and reroll them into 3 (probably garbage) Talismans.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
      I think ideally the final boss is faster for farming parts to use in melding, but 7* rampage does work too. I think you can also run the skill that increases rewards to help as well.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
      Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
      edited April 2021
      Saldonas wrote: »
      I think ideally the final boss is faster for farming parts to use in melding, but 7* rampage does work too. I think you can also run the skill that increases rewards to help as well.
      The advantage of running a 7* Rampage is that you get a plethora of other monster parts on top of tickets, including a much higher chance of getting plates and gems from the monsters in the rampage. But yeah, if it's an Apex, it's going to take longer than a typical Narwa run (unless you are running with clowns in that Narwa run, in which case it could take 30 minutes). The non-Apex 7* Rampages take around the same amount of time as a Narwa run depending on how quickly the randos are on the uptake at readying up. Rampages ALSO have a much lower failure rate... you have to actively TRY to fail a Rampage, usually.

I rotate around Narwa, 7* Rampage non-Apex, and 7* Apex runs because variety and all that. Some folks may enjoy just grinding one thing, though.

For all of them, bring two Gatherer kitties. No puppers are really needed for transportation.

Hahnsoo1 on
      8i1dt37buh2m.png
    • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
      i got a weakness exploit 1 evade extender 1 with no slot

it's a doozy

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
      i have a wex2 no slots talisman and it's good enough for now, until i finish all the side missions and want to grind more charms...

tbh the situation here makes me miss charm farming in the volcano, at least it was faster.

If you don't have a Flinch Free deco and want to play multiplayer without getting kicked around, you could roll up a Flinch Free Talisman. It's also probably worth getting a Weakness Exploit 1 Talisman using one of the lower options, if you use that skill in your build. But yeah, you want to use the Wisp of Mystery a lot once you get it.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
      You can also run the final Boss. Each run typically gets me enough materials for about two Melds. If you just keep running them back-to-back, you can stockpile a bit and move on to other hunts until your materials run dry again. Having said that, max rank Rampages are probably just as viable, costing a bit more time each run but likely scoring more, and more varied, materials overall.

i think the rampages are more fun, generally

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
      Man, high rank Magnamalo is absolutely no joke. I just ate my first triple cart in the game.

Steam ID: Right here.
      Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
      If you don't have a Flinch Free deco and want to play multiplayer without getting kicked around, you could roll up a Flinch Free Talisman. It's also probably worth getting a Weakness Exploit 1 Talisman using one of the lower options, if you use that skill in your build. But yeah, you want to use the Wisp of Mystery a lot once you get it.

Using armor with flinch free already on there.

Also as a long sword user having a cat named trip rude? or rudest?

pleasepaypreacher.net
      I run w/e rampage, and use basically any material that isn't a gem/plate.

Drascin wrote: »
      Man, high rank Magnamalo is absolutely no joke. I just ate my first triple cart in the game.

The other night, HR Mags caught me with the edge of his hitbox during a tail swipe, which resulted in me being tossed into the air. Before I recovered, he leapt underneath me, clouded the area with Hellfire, and killed me with an explosion before I'd even touched the ground. Total bullshit, lol. Literally barely touched me, and fucking globaled me inside of an air juggle.

milk ducks wrote: »

The other night, HR Mags caught me with the edge of his hitbox during a tail swipe, which resulted in me being tossed into the air. Before I recovered, he leapt underneath me, clouded the area with Hellfire, and killed me with an explosion before I'd even touched the ground. Total bullshit, lol. Literally barely touched me, and fucking globaled me inside of an air juggle.

I literally had this same death this morning in what was a double cart situation that almost cost us the hunt, I felt so bad I didn't wire bug out of the air toss.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
      milk ducks wrote: »

Sometimes I feel like that's the devs testing my ability to wirefall. But then there are attacks where I wirefall into a bigger attack? Monsters are hard.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
      AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
      Honestly HR rath and Mag told me I need to add some defensives to my armor because their hits were taking way too much green

pleasepaypreacher.net
      tier 6 and 7 shit just hits like a truck in this game

i have to pop a potion after every hit

if anjanath brushes me with his legs twice and does chip, i have to heal

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
      I'm getting... not burnt out, I guess, but I'm really itching for the April content update. Went through and learned some new weapons, made a bunch of sets, but I really want some elders to punch.

Only so many times you can farm the final boss, and if I see one more rarity 7 affinity sliding/master mounter charm I might actually explode.

Anyways, I reinstalled MH:W again cause I'm fiending, and I quit iceborne before the Alatreon/Fatalis update so I'd at least like to do those fights.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
      Elendil wrote: »
      tier 6 and 7 shit just hits like a truck in this game

i have to pop a potion after every hit

if anjanath brushes me with his legs twice and does chip, i have to heal

Having got one shot carted when I had chip damage, I worry very much about not drinking and thus taking that big hit

pleasepaypreacher.net
      I booted up MH Gen U just to check some things out, and was basically:
      ihnmotp.jpg

Then I fought Ahtal-Ka, and I'm like "Oh yeah, this weirdo".

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
      Well, lookie here- Arrekz's Insect Glaive video is out, as I predicted.
      Arch wrote:
      I also can almost 100% bet that sometime in the next day or two, Arrekz will have a guide to the changes for Insect Glaive in Rise that not only A. goes over my changes and descriptions but also B. points out things I missed.

This happened to Bows when I switched from being an Insect Glaive main to Bow main in MHW, if you guys recall I did a huge effort post going over bow changes and combo damage numbers etc....only for Arrekz to drop a more comprehensive video guide like a week later.

So what I'm saying is stay tuned for the inevitable Arrkez in-depth insect glaive guide!

Okay, so not exactly as I predicted.

As always, it's a very comprehensive guide to the weapon. Obviously my write-up was more focused on some of the changes to Kinsects and the addition of Switch Skills, as well as my recommendations for what I personally run.

This corresponds roughly to the "Which Switch Skills are Right for You?" portion of Arrekz's video (around the 28 minute mark).

https://youtu.be/B1CB2Zl8Jzg

Now, I will say that his guide covers something important that I didn't talk about that, in my opinion, does have a bigger effect on your kinsect choices than people seem to think.

And that is animation cancelling Tornado/Tetraseal Slash using ZR+X or ZR+A (Fire Kinsect and Recall Kinsect, respectively).

Arrekz, like most other people chasing the meta, seems determined to push the Carnage Beetle (a Blunt-Type kinsect that always grabs Red Extract) as the "meta" choice. While Arrekz does say "your choice will be whichever you feel best with", it's pretty clear that he and many others think this is the number one kinsect to use.

I'd like to make a gentle case for Speed-Type kinsects, in particular the ones that have a Charged Combo attack. These are the kinsects (Bullshroud and Grancathar, I believe) that do a series of attacks once they reach blue charge level sitting on your arm. While it's true you get to triple-up a bit slower, most of the time during a ground combo you should be using the ZR+A/X to recall your kinsect to cancel the end lag and keep the DPS going. The thing is...most of your combos last just enough time for the Kinsect to reach full charge!. If you shoot a fully charged kinsect at a monster head, recall it on the advance, and start a ground combo, by the end of the longer X+X+A+A combo the kinsect is generally fully charged, so animation cancelling into Fire Kinsect and not recall kinsect sends your charged kinsect directly at the monster at close range, all but ensuring the multiple hits land.

If using a blunt type this can lead to some incredibly quick staggers and breaks, and if using a severing type this can lead to some very fast tail cuts.

Add on to that fact that (unless I'm mistaken) the triple-up buffs for Assist-Type kinsects last less time than Powder and Speed type, and there's some decent reasons to not just stick directly to assist types as "the best choice". I switch between Assist and Speed pretty regularly on my hunts, mostly based on how easy it is to get a monster's red and white extract. If they're easy to get, I tend to use Speed types, but if they're harder to get I tend to use Assist types.

I'm still playing around with Powder-type kinsects, and while I appreciate the buffs they also received (most powder-type kinsects spread two kinds of powder, which is neat!), I generally don't feel like they're worth using. I've enjoyed using the high-rank kinsect that spreads healing powder, because it lets me be a bit more aggressive if I'm not using recall kinsect as my switch skill. Most of the time the powder is in the air, and I tend to spend most of my time in the air, so it's great for keeping me topped off. On the other hand, the status build up for poison and paralysis kinsect powders is very bad. I've played around with a neutral glaive and status powder kinsects, and I typically only get one status application a hunt, generally at the very end.

Now, when I use a status based glaive, I can get multiple status applications if I match my glaive to my kinsect, and there have been edge cases where I've been able to cause both paralysis and poison on the same monster with a single weapon, which wasn't really possible as much before, but I'm still struggling to find a good use for Status Powder, despite my previous post. It's kind of disappointing, but then again, Assist and Speed kinsects are so good now that I'm not really put off by it.

Anyway, watch Arrekz's video, it's really nice.

Status powders also deal damage on detonation don't they? Need to check.

But I agree that assist is not the be-all end-all.

The triple up time boost is specific to tier 2 speed kinsects though iirc.