As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Legends of Runeterra] Definitely not Neeko! Nope!

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Free Epic Wild card if you have Amazon/Twitch Prime is now available to claim.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    waiting patiently for the scargrounds "OH NOOOOO!"

I cleared the scargrounds on her by simply killing the nexus before any of that stuff got stacked too high

Just had a crazy combat sequence:

Opponent has 7 mana, 3 spell mana, and an 8/6 dragon. I have 9 mana, 3 spell mana, and a 4/4 Taric and a 4/2 Fangs. The opponent starts by playing Single Combat on my Taric. I respond playing Concerted Strike. After a long pause, they counter with a Concerted Strike on my Fangs. I start madly crunching the numbers and play a Single Combat and a Sharpsight on my Fangs, making it a 6/4. They counter with a Sharpsight of their own. I end the sequence by Hushing his dragon back to a 7/7.

Everything resolves. My Fangs deals 6 to his dragon and dies, leaving it as a 7/1. Then his Concerted Strike fizzles out and my Concerted Strike goes off to finish the dragon off, causing his Single Combat to fizzle. Crazy.

The only thing they might have done better is target my Taric with the Concerted Strike. The dragon would still have been lost, but it would have taken Taric with it.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Just had a crazy combat sequence:

Opponent has 7 mana, 3 spell mana, and an 8/6 dragon. I have 9 mana, 3 spell mana, and a 4/4 Taric and a 4/2 Fangs. The opponent starts by playing Single Combat on my Taric. I respond playing Concerted Strike. After a long pause, they counter with a Concerted Strike on my Fangs. I start madly crunching the numbers and play a Single Combat and a Sharpsight on my Fangs, making it a 6/4. They counter with a Sharpsight of their own. I end the sequence by Hushing his dragon back to a 7/7.

Everything resolves. My Fangs deals 6 to his dragon and dies, leaving it as a 7/1. Then his Concerted Strike fizzles out and my Concerted Strike goes off to finish the dragon off, causing his Single Combat to fizzle. Crazy.

The only thing they might have done better is target my Taric with the Concerted Strike. The dragon would still have been lost, but it would have taken Taric with it.

See, this is why I'm REALLY liking LoR thus far. You don't usually get that kind of play counterplay counter-counterplay in Hearthstone or (my dear departed) Elder Scrolls Legends, that's an M:tG thing. But unlike M:tG, LoR doesn't feel like it's actively preying on people with gambling addictions or asking for thousands of dollars just to be remotely relevant in play.

(re: MtG comparisons I do think it'd be cool to own some physical LoR cards, even if it'd be... difficult/complex to play as a physical game. If nothing else, a couple collectible Champions & their associated cards would be cool.)

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Mtg these days is insane into the fomo rather than gambling. The crazy number of secret drops, commander stuff, and sets for modern with new cards all just prey on people who want to make sure they get things before they are out of print forever.

I wish I could get some nice art prints or something of the lor cards. Most merch for video games is terrible but art can always go on a wall.

Also the diana nocturne deck is sometimes insane just dropping 5 of the 4/1 birds in one turn or other explosive plays

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    r95bev2cac3q.jpg
    There's a first time for everything.

Twitch: Thawmus83
    Btw it was a Riven/Zed deck, and while it wasn't particularly good, it was chock full of elusive/first strike/overrun threats that I could just buff the shit out of with Riven + spells. At one point Zed was a 10/7 with all the keywords when I had planted him on the board with nothing.

During the final match I just kept juking my opponent with a shell game of which tiny guy they should block and oops here's 3 burst spells to end the game.

Thawmus wrote: »
    Btw it was a Riven/Zed deck, and while it wasn't particularly good, it was chock full of elusive/first strike/overrun threats that I could just buff the shit out of with Riven + spells. At one point Zed was a 10/7 with all the keywords when I had planted him on the board with nothing.

During the final match I just kept juking my opponent with a shell game of which tiny guy they should block and oops here's 3 burst spells to end the game.

See and this is so interesting, something I missed about M:tG, and something I think the people who came here from Hearthstone aren't used to. In M:tG you're always keeping an eye on mana and in the digital games in how long your opponent is taking to do stuff (because the auto-turn not ticking usually means they *can* cast something but they *aren't*) because that 1/1 weenie looks wee *now* but then they drop a bunch of Instants or Flash Enchants and suddenly it's a 10/10 with Trample. I'm deffo encountering a lot of people in Unranked who straight up go ?!??!?!?! when I pull stuff like that like they didn't even realize you *could* do that. It'll be interesting to see as I get ready to hit Ranked if I end up doing the stuff I used to do in Magic Duels and briefly the current Magic Online, where sure, I have a Burst spell in hand that I *could* cast, but it's useless in this situation... but you don't know that, so I'm holding onto the action turnover juuuust long enough that you wonder "okay, what do they have in hand. what are they waiting for." If there's an option to disable the auto-turn, I've also used that psychological warfare in M:tG.

The other thing I've done is when I don't want my opponent to know I've got something in hand I just tick the turn counter ASAP like "oh noes I have nothing whatever shall I do ;--; pay no attention to the 10 mana and 3 spell mana I'm sitting on!"

I've assumed that the turn auto-end is an option that more serious players turn off for that very reason.

But when I play I always want to GO GO GO as I have the patience of a small child who ate 18 chocolate bars so nah fuck it learn whatever you want from it just make it my turn.

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I don't go deep into mind games with it but I turned off the auto end because I just don't want to give away "oh he has absolutely nothing at all, free reign." Just the human amount of time it takes to press the button myself instead of the auto pass is enough for me.

I'm not trying to gain an advantage, I'm just trying to prevent them from gaining one.

I turned off auto-turn, but hit the button at the same cadence to make them think I have it on! BWA HA HA HA!!!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I turned off auto-turn, but hit the button at the same cadence to make them think I have it on! BWA HA HA HA!!!

in practice I am also an impatient gremlin and this is more like what happens.

Also, Re: MtG, reaction spells and timing and stuff:

This is actually one of the things I really liked about Hearthstone. When it was my turn, it was 110% my actual turn, and not my turn with maybe your turn in it too. There are downsides to this, of course, but I'm wired in such a way that your turn is the worst possible moment of my life and my turn is the only time that should actually exist. So players who would rope to try and troll me would get the best of me, and a bunch of combo reactions happening for my opponent during my turn was the worst. But for the most part, Hearthstone was the best for me because of all this. Plus being able to pick and choose my minion trades, for the most part, was one of my favorite things about the game.

MtG, on the other hand, tends to have a lot of moments where I beg the universe for a quick and clean actual real life death because my opponent has decided to interrupt my turn with some bullshit, or I'll be choosing blockers and then oh hey everything's changing oh boy terrific. I love Magic in a casual setting where people just throw rando shit together and not try to pull off some sort of c-c-c-combo, and Commander with pre-built Commander decks tends to be our poison of choice when my friends and I do sit down and play. But even there it's about 15 minutes of nobody being able to build a board because everyone's canceling and burning everyone else, and then someone is neglected and has a board and murders everyone else.

So, I haven't really figured out where I stand yet on LoR and how it stacks against the other two for me. Leveling up champions, spell mana, and attack tokens are pretty great mechanics that give the game a ton of breathing room for new mechanics, but I won't lie having to play the "Nope, actually this happens instead" game does wear on me quite a bit.

Thawmus wrote: »
    Also, Re: MtG, reaction spells and timing and stuff:

This is actually one of the things I really liked about Hearthstone. When it was my turn, it was 110% my actual turn, and not my turn with maybe your turn in it too. There are downsides to this, of course, but I'm wired in such a way that your turn is the worst possible moment of my life and my turn is the only time that should actually exist. So players who would rope to try and troll me would get the best of me, and a bunch of combo reactions happening for my opponent during my turn was the worst. But for the most part, Hearthstone was the best for me because of all this. Plus being able to pick and choose my minion trades, for the most part, was one of my favorite things about the game.

MtG, on the other hand, tends to have a lot of moments where I beg the universe for a quick and clean actual real life death because my opponent has decided to interrupt my turn with some bullshit, or I'll be choosing blockers and then oh hey everything's changing oh boy terrific. I love Magic in a casual setting where people just throw rando shit together and not try to pull off some sort of c-c-c-combo, and Commander with pre-built Commander decks tends to be our poison of choice when my friends and I do sit down and play. But even there it's about 15 minutes of nobody being able to build a board because everyone's canceling and burning everyone else, and then someone is neglected and has a board and murders everyone else.

So, I haven't really figured out where I stand yet on LoR and how it stacks against the other two for me. Leveling up champions, spell mana, and attack tokens are pretty great mechanics that give the game a ton of breathing room for new mechanics, but I won't lie having to play the "Nope, actually this happens instead" game does wear on me quite a bit.

There has been a bit of burst/focus creep in the last couple sets/expansions. So everyone playing with the shiny new toys that are better than the old toys hits a lot harder. I just hate having to wait on people to pass priority for every little thing when I know damn well they aren't/can't do anything. Hearthstone is clean design in that respect but it also really eliminates interactivity and there often is a kind of formulaic "best option" for every turn. Where in mtg and lor you are going in with much more limited information.

Text:
    We’re rolling out some new FX in Patch 2.6 for:
    Spell Shield
    Recall
    Auras on cards like Rahvun & Stony Suppressor
    Deck shuffling
    Elusive units
    Sharpsight
    Take a look and tell us what you think Downwards arrow

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I won an expedition game because my opponent didn't realize my spell shielded unit also had barrier. Greater visual clarity is always good.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    For me, the lack of interaction is what makes HS soooooo boring. I love a good and complicated stack.

Yilias wrote: »
    I won an expedition game because my opponent didn't realize my spell shielded unit also had barrier. Greater visual clarity is always good.

I think there could be more clarity about which effect a spell will knock off first. I'm pretty sure I've won some games where a unit I had had spell shield and barrier and my opponent just ordered their spells wrong and hit the opposite of what they wanted.

Also last night I was 1 win from masters twice... And my deck decided to give me super shit draws. Ugh maybe I can get back there again.

https://playruneterra.com/en-us/news/game-updates/patch-2-6-0-notes/

That Garen emote is the most cursed thing ever. All I can hear when I look at it is Patrick's laugh.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I finally managed to get all 10 Lab of Legends characters through to the end. Now it's on to Heroic. Azir was actually the one that took the longest. Got steamrolled on the last few levels like 3 times by bad card draws with him. Lulu remains I think the worst deck of them all but I managed to shift it into a different strategy and basically didn't use Lulu almost ever.

Overall my experience is that Nasus or LeBlanc are possibly the best addition to most decks. Both of them are strong champs in the mode and come with a strong set of cards and accept buffs you can apply to champions super well. Siphoning Strike especially is really good paired with Nasus and has won me a ton of games on it's own.

I took my boy Aphelios through my first Heroic run and 1-shot it as expected. Aphelios+Zoe remains I think potentially the strongest Lab of Legends combo.

edited April 2021
    Just finished Braun's lab. There was bullshit afoot.

u81t0n7iykva.jpg

ez095uablpqv.jpg

Turns out having a bunch of toughs plus dragons rage plus trifarian might means that when you plop minions down your opponent's board detonate. Nasus was in this deck too but I didn't ever really need him. My favorite was having the devoted council get a buff that made them grow whenever I cast a spell, so I basically farmed the second-to-last match for Nexus healing.

EDIT: Oh also I had Siphoning Strike down to being a 2 mana spell so I just used it for early board clears and then when Braun came out he was a goddamn giant and killed someone on entry and triggered Rage by doing so and it was just wonderful.

EDIT EDIT: And I say that minutes after shryke sings Nasus and Siphoning Strike's praises. It's such a good goddamn card.

Thawmus on
    Trifarian Might is hilarious in the right decks.

My Lulu deck I won with was running that buff and a Nasus who summons an ephemeral copy of himself when you play him. You just get him to a decent number of stacks, play him and then he would instantly delete 2 opposing units for free.

shryke wrote: »
    Trifarian Might is hilarious in the right decks.

My Lulu deck I won with was running that buff and a Nasus who summons an ephemeral copy of himself when you play him. You just get him to a decent number of stacks, play him and then he would instantly delete 2 opposing units for free.

It's maybe my favorite buff, next to "Everyone has rage"

Viktor popped out, and then I immediately played a Baccai Sandspinner, targeted him to lower his attack so he became the weakest on the baord, and then wouldn't you know it Baccai Sandspinner is a 5+ power unit so it just ate him on entry.

I chortled out loud.

edited April 2021
    Enfeebling Strike is also really strong in the right decks. It applies to all damage. Pairs really well with MF and Gangplank for instance.

shryke on
    shryke wrote: »
    Enfeebling Strike is also really strong in the right decks. It applies to all damage. Pairs really well with MF and Gangplank for instance.

Oooh yeah that's a good one. I was running it with Azir to great effect. Didn't win that run but oh man when you can just throw tokens out there it's fantastic.

I won a game 6 in Expedition while at 1 hp for 8 rounds in a row. My opponent was constantly emoting with Shens and Braums. I kept barely holding on and won when I blocked his 6/6 with my 4/4, which caused my 3/3 Thresh to level and survive the attacking 3/5. I ended my turn by using my only card, a Black Spear, to kill his 6/2. I opened attacked with my leveled 4/1 Thresh which pulled a 14/14 Nasus who did 15 damage to the enemy Nexus for exact lethal.

I mean, yeah I dodged a lot of shit, but that sort of gameplay is why I love this game. Sadly, I got run over in game 7 :P

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I won a game 6 in Expedition while at 1 hp for 8 rounds in a row. My opponent was constantly emoting with Shens and Braums. I kept barely holding on and won when I blocked his 6/6 with my 4/4, which caused my 3/3 Thresh to level and survive the attacking 3/5. I ended my turn by using my only card, a Black Spear, to kill his 6/2. I opened attacked with my leveled 4/1 Thresh which pulled a 14/14 Nasus who did 15 damage to the enemy Nexus for exact lethal.

I mean, yeah I dodged a lot of shit, but that sort of gameplay is why I love this game. Sadly, I got run over in game 7 :P

That's how my ranked games go. Fight tooth and nail to pull out a win, next game get turbofucked by spiders or something in 4 turns.

• Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular

There are few things in Runeterra that bring me more joy than beating somebody who's been a dick with emotes. It's almost good enough to make me not want to mute them. :P

PSA: FYI there are daily login rewards starting today for the 1 year anniversary of LoR

In other news I still love the Hecarim + Dawn & Dusk combo. It gives me so much joy on expeditions when my opponent tries buffing their dudes and fiddling with my backboard, only to look on in horror as my two token Hecarims and their token horsies go to town while my backboard cheers them on.

That should be a thing, sometime, is seeing a FMV sometime of Hecarim + friends sitting in the audience of a colosseum or something while two other Hecarims and their horsies battle to the death for Hecarim's amusement.

ky3je5ehszmm.jpg
    Look this screenshot is the only actual reward I'm getting for this.

It's a bit wasteful but this Zed/Hecarim deck was fun as hell to play.

I'm sure the next expedition will be a 2/3 run.

edited April 2021
    Anyone else not get a Champion wildcard this week? Level 12 vault:

IO9NsB3.png?1

E: Apparently it is a visual bug, the wildcard count still increments.

Yilias on
    edited April 2021
    y78zru1f162x.jpg
    Nope, I got one, plus a Sejuani.

Been pulling Vault level 15 pretty consistently so far...

Thawmus on
    VAULT DAY!

l2uvjwb2ta7j.png

Smallish week for me, but I did pull 2 Commons I didn't have. Also had a triple Epic pull in one of chests, one which upgrade to a WC and the other two becoming Shards. Not complaining!

And my daily quests are all three at 1,500. Gonna have a big Vault next week.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I had an Epic reward from the region I'm working just randomly upgrade to a champion wildcard today.

That. That floats my boat.

edited April 2021
    this game is sometimes very silly
    LbCfbY9.png

It's fine, Garen, I'm sure you got this under control (spoilers: he did not) (opponent didn't surrender either, but you know what, valid, I'll take a no-surrender over some idiot emoting at me constantly any day)

Lucid_Seraph on
    Kept running into an ashe leblanc deck with legion marauders in it, and I'm thinking wtf?! So I look up a couple streamers and swim had posted an ashe marauders deck... I swear there isn't even a meta it's just whatever swim or mogwai put out until their next video.

I'm guilty of playing that deck myself. Mainly because I love Mauraders and jump at any chance to try them out. Lost a lot more than I won with it.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Leblanc annoys me because her mechanics have nothing to do with her actual lore.

Her lore: sneaky deceiver who could be anyone

Her card: a big chonky R/G jerkass like every other Noxian, except she can also clone other big chonky R/G units

(Note: I have a pathological hatred of G decks in M:tG, and ESPECIALLY fucking R/G decks. H A T E. ) (Fuck you, fuck your Trample, fuck your burn, fuck your removal, fuck your chonky-ass bastards with Regeneration or whatever, and especially FUCK YOU.)

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    so a totally accurate representation of her league of legends character then B)

liEt3nH.png
    Leblanc annoys me because her mechanics have nothing to do with her actual lore.

Her lore: sneaky deceiver who could be anyone

Her card: a big chonky R/G jerkass like every other Noxian, except she can also clone other big chonky R/G units

(Note: I have a pathological hatred of G decks in M:tG, and ESPECIALLY fucking R/G decks. H A T E. ) (Fuck you, fuck your Trample, fuck your burn, fuck your removal, fuck your chonky-ass bastards with Regeneration or whatever, and especially FUCK YOU.)

IMO they dont really do a good job with the mechanics for the caster champs. The other part is the lore Leblanc would have mechanics much more in line with ionia but she's noxus.