As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Subnautica] Below Zero Launch on May 14th

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I’m looking forward to Below Zero coming to Xbox - hopefully there won’t be too big of a delay, but I’m happy to wait.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I played when the last content update came out, and you can't finish it yet, but my understanding is that it's content complete, and the ending will become available when 1.0 drops.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I played when the last content update came out, and you can't finish it yet, but my understanding is that it's content complete, and the ending will become available when 1.0 drops.

That's how the main game launched, right ?

I remember finishing it on the Xbox in early access, then after launch all the achievements popped at once.

It was very satisfying.

Never found another players supply pod, though.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    @MuddBudd Psst. Mudd. Hey Mudd.

Yer thread title is OUT OF DATE.

Subnautica: Below Zero is live. (actually, it was live yesterday)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

I thought the full launch is tomorrow?

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

I'd swear it's live on my end

• Options

I'd swear it's live on my end

I mean, it's playable as early access, but the ending is locked until tommorow.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Its live tomorrow for me but changing my region to New Zealand takes care of that, playing it now.

• Options
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Its live tomorrow for me but changing my region to New Zealand takes care of that, playing it now.

The benefits of living in the future strike once more!

• Options
    It's live in the US now.

• Options
    I played a little earlier, on Series X.

Looks lovely - I’m playing in performance mode, and the night time underwater effects are amazing.

Everything seems to be an improvement on the original game, including the initial load times, which are a load shorter.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Decided to pick this up now that it's out of early access, and boy I had somehow forgotten just how much the briny deep fills me with terror and existential dread. Just like the first game, the beastie voices/sound effects are downright chilling. And I haven't even gone that deep yet!

I was thinking about playing tonight and turning the lights off for maximum immersion, but I might have an actual, literal heart attack if I do that.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    There's a bit of irony in that (at least in the original game) the amount of danger you face is pretty much directly proportional to how cautiously you think you're trying to play. I've seen people try to take the Cyclops absolutely everywhere, when inside a powered Cyclops is pretty much the most dangerous place to be. Meanwhile, a Seamoth in motion is pretty much immune to being attacked, especially once you discover the anti-hug system.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Well excuse me Mr "I'm comfortable having only a thin layer of plexiglass between me and a face full of alien wing-wong", some of us happen to be cowards.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Well excuse me Mr "I'm comfortable having only a thin layer of plexiglass between me and a face full of alien wing-wong", some of us happen to be cowards.

You're going to be really upset to know that the game's AI is so well done that most predatory creatures HATE being stabbed and will run off, because you're not worth the trouble.

So it's even more efficient to get out of the seamoth and begin... The Shakening

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I’m having a hard time building a base in Below Zero because of how limited the actual underwater areas are.

• Options
    I just built a small base with an entrance below sea level and then made it expand upwards into an observation tower above sea level, it helps me recognizing whats around you since there are a few markers for different areas above water.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Cyclops, Seamoth? Amateur vehicles. For weaklings.

Prawns bow to noone and nothing. You are the king of the sea.

Although you do kinda want a grappling hook on at least one arm incase you fall into something deep.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I got myself into SO MANY sticky situations in the first game thanks to the Prawn. It's an extremely love-hate relationship.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I got myself into SO MANY sticky situations in the first game thanks to the Prawn. It's an extremely love-hate relationship.

Yeah but itll get you out again.

It's a suit of hermatically sealed power armor with its own air supply in a swamp.

Sure it moves a bit slower and sure maybe you sink sometimes, but you are in power armor. So fuck it. You'll get there.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Cyclops was my jam though, completely ditched my base when I got that and built everything inside it, storage, thermal reactor etc.

Mobile base beats stationary base.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Happy Subnautica Day, y'all!

• Options
    edited May 2021

You're going to be really upset to know that the game's AI is so well done that most predatory creatures HATE being stabbed and will run off, because you're not worth the trouble.

So it's even more efficient to get out of the seamoth and begin... The Shakening
    most predatory creatures HATE being stabbed and will run off
    most

Counterpoint:

p11xyvefm5zb.png

Also, the warpers scare me much more than they probably should. I mean... just listen to this shit...

Yes I know, they will supposedly warp off if you stab them, but the knowledge that they're actually invincible has not encouraged me to try it so far.

If I were actually the Subnautica guy, I would have just made my peace with dying from the glowing green space-herpes and lived out my remaining days above sea level on the floating island like the guy from the audio logs. In fact since I've still not actually finished the original, that's going to have to be my head canon.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    I mean if you've decided to stab a levithan, that's your problem.

Stabbing Warpers works though, and i once horrified my stream by baiting one into attacking me and then shanking it while laughing like a maniac.

• Options
    I guess my point is, nothing in Subnautica really scares me... except for Reaper Leviathans and Warpers which terrify me on such a deep, instinctual level that my monkey brain threatens to strangle my brain stem of oxygen until I die if I don't immediately close the game after seeing one, so its a little difficult for me to make much progress past a certain point. I probably spent a good quarter of an hour hunkered in my Cyclops outside of the quarantine facility working out the timing for when to make my dash for the door so that I'd avoid the Warper outside.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Repears I'm okay with because they can mostly be avoided. Warpers are just dicks.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Luckily, this game takes place a few years after the virus was cured by the Aurora survivor, so Warpers aren't in this game. There are some leviathans but they are mostly avoidable or you can zap them with perimeter defense to make them go away the instant they grab you. There are a few smaller (but still relatively large) predators that are the same. One zap and they are suddenly not so brave.

ej58bio.jpg?1
    I built my base on the edge of the shallows and the Twisty Bridges, which seemed like a fairly central location... safe, easy access via Sea Truck. I was pretty happy with it. I really like the new large rooms for base buildings, as well. I highly recommend prioritizing finding and scanning them. I never really found a need to build outposts like I did with the first game. I do recommend keeping some beacons handy whenever you venture out though.

ffKc7ld.jpg?1
    I suppose technically a more central location would be...
    Near the Delta Base, but I don't want to live in the volcanic area and the gas vents are pretty but there are larger carnivores about I didn't want to have to drive off occasionally.

q7Jj3z1.jpg?1
    Sea Truck was okay. I mostly tooled around with the Fabricator and Storage Modules. (and the Prawn Dock) All the others seemed neat but not worth dragging the extra weight/size around. A little slower than the Seamoth but a lot more storage so it evened out.

I timed it so I was right at the ending when the release hit, so I have seen that, but will hold off on talking about it (even in spoilers) for now.

Overall, a really good experience. Not quite as expansive and amazing as the first game, but that's a high bar to compare any game to. Definitely a lot of fun and more water planet exploring was great. I hope we get more. But maybe less stuff on land. The glacier areas were cool and all but I would get stuck on terrain a lot whenever I wasn't swimming.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    Once I figured out how to use the prawn grappling line I just used that everywhere.

At one point I forgot something on a cyclops in the lavabeds while I was on land. Hop into the PRAWN suit and I zipped down and back within 15min with worries.

When you are fastest thing in the sea, you have no worries.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I guess my point is, nothing in Subnautica really scares me... except for Reaper Leviathans and Warpers which terrify me on such a deep, instinctual level that my monkey brain threatens to strangle my brain stem of oxygen until I die if I don't immediately close the game after seeing one, so its a little difficult for me to make much progress past a certain point. I probably spent a good quarter of an hour hunkered in my Cyclops outside of the quarantine facility working out the timing for when to make my dash for the door so that I'd avoid the Warper outside.

The thing is, since you're so afraid of being attacked, why are you hauling around the giant, slow, barely maneuverable, sight-obscuring, mostly defenseless fear canister? That thing is scarier than any leviathan out there.

The most harrowing experience I had in the game was moving that thing to right outside the lava zone so I could use it as a base for my Prawn Suit. Beyond that, well, I had a Prawn Suit.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    One time, just to prove a point - that the tool-using monkey was, in fact, the scariest thing on the planet - I went out and killed a Ghost Leviathan with a stasis rifle and a thermoknife.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Welp, I was trying below zero, I came back from a very fruitful expedition, got into my pod, hit save, and the game got stuck saving forever, and didn't save. That's a forty solid minute expedition down the drain, and I don't think I'm going to be able to find all the stuff I found (including a builder and a bunch of useful blueprints) again very easily. I don't even remember what direction I set off in!

Ugh.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    One time, just to prove a point - that the tool-using monkey was, in fact, the scariest thing on the planet - I went out and killed a Ghost Leviathan with a stasis rifle and a thermoknife.

sadly, there is no stasis rifle this time around.

Gotta scan those leviathans the hard way.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

By opening up the console and turning off their aggression?

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »

By opening up the console and turning off their aggression?

Or hiding in a crevice they don't fit into.

• Options
    jothki wrote: »

The thing is, since you're so afraid of being attacked, why are you hauling around the giant, slow, barely maneuverable, sight-obscuring, mostly defenseless fear canister? That thing is scarier than any leviathan out there.

Gotta recharge the prawn suit somewhere!
    jothki wrote: »
    The most harrowing experience I had in the game was moving that thing to right outside the lava zone so I could use it as a base for my Prawn Suit. Beyond that, well, I had a Prawn Suit.

I think that's exactly what I'd just done when I left off. Or rather, I'd made the initial journey in, thought "I should make a small base here as a staging point so that I can charge batteries and use the scouty drones before I go any deeper into this fucking hellscape", went back to collect the resources to build said base and suddenly didn't find myself all that motivated to make the trip back to said hellscape a second time.

I do like the PDA's description of the prawn suit though;

"It is normal when first piloting a Prawn suit to feel a sense of limitless power. Prawn operators receive weeks of training to counteract this phenomenon. You will have to make do with self-discipline."

And its absolutely true, I'm a lot less scared of everything in general when I'm in my punchybot. Unfortunately I'm very aware that the warpers can just teleport you right out of it...

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Not really sure how a vehicle that has a literal invincibility button upgrade (shield module makes you invincible) and a built in stealth mode is the most dangerous place to be but ok.

Cyclops with shield module and spare batteries plus prawn = the safest you will ever be in this game.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Kitting out the Cyclops as my primary base saved me monumental amounts of time, and I've literally never had one get even close to a low-health state. Silent running and a little patience lets you slip by 98% of problem situations, firing off a decoy takes care of the other 2%, and once you get the shield you've probably got the means to keep an entire spare set of power cells on board so there's no reason not to pop the shield up around animal hazards.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    For me it's mostly the annoyance of having to keep a bunch of extra cells and keep multiple chargers in every base (because one charger suffices to keep a Prawn or a Seamoth supplied, but you need 3 chargers or three times as long to supply a Cyclops) and waiting for them to recharge and having to manually lug them back and forth and so on. It makes taking the thing around a pest, and makes it feel bad to use the modules that spend energy because that means more busywork.

For my second run of Subnautica, I got a mod that let you put a reactor in the Cyclops that would recharge the power cells while I was exploring around so I didn't need to do the whole power cell dance and suddenly I was taking the Cyclops everywhere as a mobile base and Prawn deployment system.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Gotta get the thermal charger whatsit upgrade and then beacon all the thermal vents so you know where to park.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    I’m planning my base and built a scanner room as storage/temporary base and its nuts how many lockers you can fit inside a scanner room.