As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Stompybots? Stompybots. STOMPYBOTS! MW5 on Steam NOW!

• RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    monkeykins wrote: »
    5,000 ballistic damage is the biggest hurdle for the free mech this month. That's quite a bit of damage.

My recommendation is to take a COR-7A out and go brrrrr until you have unlimited dakka damage.

• monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    RawrBear wrote: »
    5,000 ballistic damage is the biggest hurdle for the free mech this month. That's quite a bit of damage.

My recommendation is to take a COR-7A out and go brrrrr until you have unlimited dakka damage.

I've actually busted my BJ-A back out for it. Double bonus: 30% cbill boost since I just spent all mine on a Dragon!

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Nobody wrote: »
    You can get away with a standard (indeed, some people will only run it with a standard so they can deadside tank it without penalties).

It can be hard to play though, anybody who realizes how it’s built is going to try to take that arm ASAP

Bigger guns would be easier to deadside, I feel, the UAC2 is just such a facetime weapon. Plus there is like 60 armor in that arm...

The trick is to abuse the “Dragon Dab” where you twist to the right, and use torso lock with unlocked arms to shoot left across your torso. That way you take more damage on your left torso with only some chip damage to the arm (unless you get flanked or the opponents a really good shot).

I have read about this before. May you please make a video of it since I have always wondered how it looks while piloting it?

Edit: Grammar

Alas not really set up for it, but I know Baradul showed it off in his last Dragon video one sec and I’ll look for it

edited April 2021
    You can get away with a standard (indeed, some people will only run it with a standard so they can deadside tank it without penalties).

It can be hard to play though, anybody who realizes how it’s built is going to try to take that arm ASAP

Bigger guns would be easier to deadside, I feel, the UAC2 is just such a facetime weapon. Plus there is like 60 armor in that arm...

The trick is to abuse the “Dragon Dab” where you twist to the right, and use torso lock with unlocked arms to shoot left across your torso. That way you take more damage on your left torso with only some chip damage to the arm (unless you get flanked or the opponents a really good shot).

I have read about this before. May you please make a video of it since I have always wondered how it looks while piloting it?

Alas not really set up for it, but I know Baradul showed it off in his last Dragon video one sec and I’ll look for it

https://youtu.be/5M_sMpxh624

Older video, but he does a quick demonstration of it at 3:35

Nobody on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    CAB?

Community Asset Bundle. It's all the models and textures for all the additional mechs people have added to the game in a single download. But it doesn't include any chassisdef or mechdef files you need to actually get the mechs into the game. Those are supplied by other mods, or yourself.

The only mod I can think of off the top of my head that added mechs in a more standalone fashion was JK_Variants. As I recall, it has separate mods for adding vanilla-game variants and/or CAB mechs. I don't remember if it included Clan mechs, as that mod was focused more on mechs appropriate to the 3025 era.

I'll check it out later today. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Kind of browsing Battletech Nexus a bit, I'm surprised no one has done a clan invasion overhaul mod yet, where you play as the commander of a clan Star. I guess it would be difficult to completely overhaul the strategic mode of the game to match what you'd be doing as a clan commander instead of a mercenary.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Oh shit I forgot, I heard there's an event ongoing but I haven't logged in the last few days. When does it end?

21 days left on the event, so you have time

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular

I assume you turn your cockpit away from the enemy, then use Ctrl (or whatever you have bound to that) to look around your cabin and point at your enemy, since that will also direct your arms, letting you shoot sideways with actuators. I often used it on missile boats to get them over my allies when enemies were in direct LOS.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

https://youtu.be/5M_sMpxh624

Older video, but he does a quick demonstration of it at 3:35
    Glal wrote: »

I assume you turn your cockpit away from the enemy, then use Ctrl (or whatever you have bound to that) to look around your cabin and point at your enemy, since that will also direct your arms, letting you shoot sideways with actuators. I often used it on missile boats to get them over my allies when enemies were in direct LOS.

Awesome thanks. Yeah I have used the Ctrl lock trick from time to time to continue lock or shoot to the side, but man it was painful to try and "drive" and not run into someone or anything. Sort of like me in real life when I was forced to run backwards around a basketball court during a tryout... and ran right into the backboard pole. From watching Baradul's video it seems that he doesn't stay that way for long and talks about it. Thanks for the video!

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    edited April 2021
    Managed to solo circle duel a 3RAC MAD3R with the Dragon. Just blasted that loaded right torso and if two of my UAC2s jammed I started twisting. Probably would have lost without the SLas though. Also they clearly had trouble focusing the damage, or had really bad luck with jams.

Those UACs seem to be in a weird spot. One or two of them frequently hit map geometry that seem like they shouldn't.

monkeykins on
    The joys of low mounts

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I don't understand this game sometimes. (Maybe it's because I was in a mech I vaguely knew how to pilot?)
    0ayr4vyldf2x.jpg

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    "Oh, there's an assault and a medium protecting tunnel entrance. I'm in a heavy, I'll go share armour with them."
    Walk out of cover to look into tunnel, face 6 enemy assaults, die before my Mad Dog finishes slowing down and walking back to cover.

Glal wrote: »
    "Oh, there's an assault and a medium protecting tunnel entrance. I'm in a heavy, I'll go share armour with them."
    Walk out of cover to look into tunnel, face 6 enemy assaults, die before my Mad Dog finishes slowing down and walking back to cover.

Oof!

Picked up a full price TBT-7M. My MRM Marauder is my favorite mech to play, excited to have something similar that moves a touch faster.
    Now I need to earn some money to afford to equip it.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The event makes me want to die inside. All you have to do is get a kill or most-damage-done point with the trial mechs. Just one each. And do you know how IMPOSSIBLE that is sometimes? These builds are so goddamn doofy. I got three down of the five but it took a lot out of me.

I looked at the Shadowcat trial variant and holy fuck. Two PPCs, and no armor on one arm (which then leaves the ECM extremely vulnerable).

Uh. The Shadowcat trial mech is basically the meta build. The only difference is that the meta uses a SHC-H left arm for +20 free armour, while the trial doesn't.

The trial mech builds are actually pretty good, just not 100% optimised. The worst thing about them is that they lack skills and consumables.

ew9y0DD.png
    edited April 2021
    TBT-7M guide build is dual MRM30, but I have a 20 and 40 on in and it seems to work pretty well? Same damage but an extra DHS. Which I might not actually need, the 20 and 40 never seemed to get me as hot as the heat management seemed to suggest. Torso twist seems super slow, though, might be the first mech I really actually focus on twist speed skills.

monkeykins on
    Matching MRM sizes gives you the benefit of the same fire-stream behaviour and recharge matching. MRM40s have 4.75s recharge, while all other MRMs have 4.3 If that doesn't annoy you, play whatever.

ew9y0DD.png
    Kay wrote: »
    Matching MRM sizes gives you the benefit of the same fire-stream behaviour and recharge matching. MRM40s have 4.75s recharge, while all other MRMs have 4.3 If that doesn't annoy you, play whatever.

I'll give the dual 30s a try, up my DPS from ~16 to ~20

There’s quite a bit of argument on 30+30 vs 40+20

One syncs up better on cooldown while the other gives you an extra ton to play with. In a furball desynced launchers can cause more facetime, but exceptional fire discipline means you have more heatcap/ammo

Speaking of I finally saw a direct result of MRM40s and what they're capable of. I always had a vague notion. Some bastard I ran into at mid range had them, and while I got him good with my ERLLs and LBX20, he got me just as good and again in the back once (completely ripping out my rear armor).

Henroid wrote: »
    Speaking of I finally saw a direct result of MRM40s and what they're capable of. I always had a vague notion. Some bastard I ran into at mid range had them, and while I got him good with my ERLLs and LBX20, he got me just as good and again in the back once (completely ripping out my rear armor).

MRMs took forever to click for me but they are kinda a blast once you get used to them... particularly if you just bomb them into someone's back armour like that. They're also better than you'd think at range, at least against big targets like assaults where it's hard to miss even with the slow projectile speed. MRM raven is still my favorite light mech, there's a special joy in dumping 40 damage into someone's back and then vanishing.

I freely admit I’m not a huge fan of MRMs because they’re too much of a sandblaster and it’s easy to end up splashing damage around a component you want to destroy.

I had completely stripped, orange structure mechs that my MRM60-or-80 just made increasingly darker orange over subsequent volleys, when a pair of lasers would have resulted in a kill.

Oh I will say one thing for this trial. I tried the Warhawk and now I know there are 64kph Assault mechs. Still not my favorite, but not the worst.

The Warhawk is a good mech, but very one note (meta is quad ERPPC, and that was even before the PPC patch).

As for 64 KPH assaults, there’s also the Blood Asp which is a common staple in Faction and gets some use in QP.

Oh I will say one thing for this trial. I tried the Warhawk and now I know there are 64kph Assault mechs. Still not my favorite, but not the worst.

Yeah that and the other Assault are the only two I have done for the KMDD/Kill part of the event. Probably because I can actually use those two for sniping a kill or pumping a medium full of damage. Guessing that I can't get the trial shadow cat part done by running my own Champion Shadow Cat right? I'd love to be able to run my 2LPL version versus the 2cERPPC trial.

oosik_betsuni.png

Yeah that and the other Assault are the only two I have done for the KMDD/Kill part of the event. Probably because I can actually use those two for sniping a kill or pumping a medium full of damage. Guessing that I can't get the trial shadow cat part done by running my own Champion Shadow Cat right? I'd love to be able to run my 2LPL version versus the 2cERPPC trial.

The trial Shadowcat was the one I was in when I got my triple kill match with barely any damage taken. >_>

ew9y0DD.png

The trial Shadowcat was the one I was in when I got my triple kill match with barely any damage taken. >_>

Nice! I bet you wished you could have transferred those kills to other trial mechs.

oosik_betsuni.png
    The only ones I had difficulty with were the Jenner and Orion. Got every other one with a single match. Brawling right now IS NOT EASY because everyone's boating PPCs etc. :|

ew9y0DD.png
    The only ones I had difficulty with were the Jenner and Orion. Got every other one with a single match. Brawling right now IS NOT EASY because everyone's boating PPCs etc. :|

I figure I'll have to just hang around and play opportunistic bugger and kill snipe. The Jenner is a weird loadout, but makes sense for the meta.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I thought SRM Jenner-IICs were like, the OG Jenner-IIC meta. I have one with a real similar build sitting at around 40 skillpoints from years ago.

ew9y0DD.png
    edited April 2021
    I don't understand the TBT-7M CT. Last 5 matches with it I have gone down from CT damage while I still have yellow armor on both ST. That's despite actually doing my very best torso twisting, which I'll admit is pretty poor. But in my last match I was taking CT damage (and damage indicator said it was head-on, too) despite the enemy shooting me being almost 90deg to my right.

Crab? Ebony Jag? I'd understand it. This one, though? I'm just kind of dumbfounded.

-edit-
    Make that 6 consecutive matches.

monkeykins on
    I thought SRM Jenner-IICs were like, the OG Jenner-IIC meta. I have one with a real similar build sitting at around 40 skillpoints from years ago.

I meant as in the dead side builds. I run mine with all SRM4s (after deeming the all SRM6 build is too slow) and no dead side to my builds.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited April 2021
    I don't understand the TBT-7M CT. Last 5 matches with it I have gone down from CT damage while I still have yellow armor on both ST. That's despite actually doing my very best torso twisting, which I'll admit is pretty poor. But in my last match I was taking CT damage (and damage indicator said it was head-on, too) despite the enemy shooting me being almost 90deg to my right.

Crab? Ebony Jag? I'd understand it. This one, though? I'm just kind of dumbfounded.

-edit-

Did you look up the hit boxes for it? Might be one of those "the side torsos aren't as big as people think it is" mechs.

Edit: Dangit, I didn't mean to double post.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png

-edit-

Did you look up the hit boxes for it? Might be one of those "the side torsos aren't as big as people think it is" mechs.

Edit: Dangit, I didn't mean to double post.

I haven't, I just assume that since the torso is about 75% missile tubes, and the launchers are in the side torsos, it would match.

Also: 7 matches now where my CT is taken out and i have, at worst, red armor in the side torso.

It does have a comically low CT structure value, but dang, how are they burning through 53 armor and 32 structure faster than the 38 armor on my SDs?

I pulled the MRM ammo out of my CT, might be explosions?

Treb CT is pretty decently sized, so it’s easy to target (also why it tends to be XL safe).

edited April 2021
    8 matches now where I have my CT cored. At least this time I had one side torso without armor when I died!

Make that 9. New plan- hide behind team in this mech.

monkeykins on