As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This Diablo thread is like 800x600, bleh

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    man, I wish they'd put a zoom function in D3 :rotate:

Not sure if the rolley is knowing, but D3 has zoom on Z.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Should've put Gotterdammerung in one of these sequels and it forces zoomed in while equipped.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So now that people are hands-on with this, I'm curious.

I know that the remaster is literally a fancy graphics layer with the original game running underneath. Like, very literally it's the old game code running.

How is the "faster rate" thing feeling for players, since it is operating on the old hard frame count? Break points to get -1 of 24 frames and such.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    As mentioned in Clan chat yesterday, my daughter (7) walked in on me playing Diablo

Right after I had taken a Whimseydale portal.

“No honey, those aren’t really teddy bears, I’m not sure what that purple thing (exploded unicorn) is.”

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    As mentioned in Clan chat yesterday, my daughter (7) walked in on me playing Diablo

Right after I had taken a Whimseydale portal.

“No honey, those aren’t really teddy bears, I’m not sure what that purple thing (exploded unicorn) is.”

I never realized this could be on the top ten list of things you don't want your children walking in on till yesterday.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    The first time my roommate and I ended up in Whimsydale we definitely took some sanity damage and we're mostly adults

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I haven’t played D3 in... a couple years? And I never tried the Necro, so I picked up the whole bundle on the Xbox Spring Sale.

I loaded up an old level 70 DH first and I had no idea what I was doing, lol. After awhile I started to remember what my build was about. But dang, I forgot how complicated this game can be with Torment levels but then also Rift levels, and I don’t know what I was even working towards?

And I guess a new season just started, so that’s good timing. It’ll be nice to start a fresh Necro and relearn the game. I’m hoping I can play with minimal or no minions, which I know is Necro heresy.

How tough is doing the seasonal stuff and getting the rewards?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Not too tough at all! I started playing seasonal last summer and icy-veins.com helped me figure out a lot of stuff. My basic character start in season mode is to go to Adventure mode on Hard and run rifts/bounties until level 70, increasing difficulty to Torment 1 as I get better gear and more powers. Once I start getting legendaries I make sure to go grab Kanai's Cube in Act 3 (Leoric's Crown and Broken Crown are must haves to get the biggest +xp or +gold boosts from your helm socketed gem. Cube one, wear the other). Then I open the Season Journey and start knocking off all the quests to get a full armor set through Haedrig's Gift. This will have you running Greater Rifts as well as kind of a tutorial on "things to do" in season mode.

After that it's some combo of run Bounties on Torment 1 ( hopefully with others to make it faster) to get the materials, crafting plans, and bounty only equipment drops as easily as possible. Run regular rifts on increasing Torment difficulties for better loot and consistent Death's Breath crafting materials. And run Greater Rifts on increasing difficulty in order to collect and level up Legendary gems. Throw in the rest of the season journey for the portrait frames and pet and there's plenty to do for a while depending on how much you play and how many alts you're dividing your time amongst

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Most of the good necro sets/builds use minimal minions, though this seasons free set is a minion one

The first few steps of the season journey are quite simple; basically just look at the checklist and fight the stuff it tells you to fight. The slowest part for me is always finding the cube

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    I will say, having the season 'theme' be gear the fuck out of your followers has led to even more alts than normal. If you're just running groups it's easy to ignore all those waiting hungry equipment slots - who cares? You never get to use your followers anyway.

But as someone who solos maybe 60% of the time, my initial plan of Crusader to the max and Monk as my speed farmer has quickly blossomed. I needed INT gear if I wanted to use Enchantress - hello Witch Doctor. I needed better bows for my Scoundrel - welcome back Demon Hunter, you've been gone less than a week. I needed to be STRONK with lovely long red hair - Baaaaaaarb (why isn't my Barb named Barb? I have failed myself and brought shame to the people of Bul-Kathos)

My poor DH and Monk in Hardcore (non-seasonal) are never gonna get leveled at this rate. RIP Hardcore Crusader

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Most of the good necro sets/builds use minimal minions, though this seasons free set is a minion one

Aw, that’s kind of a bummer. Is it good enough that I should still get it? Can I earn the packages on the Necro but open them on a... DH maybe to get a DH set instead? Is it based on level so I would still need to level up a DH in that scenario?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options

Aw, that’s kind of a bummer. Is it good enough that I should still get it? Can I earn the packages on the Necro but open them on a... DH maybe to get a DH set instead? Is it based on level so I would still need to level up a DH in that scenario?

I believe that as long as you don't claim them on your Necro you are fine to claim them on a DH alt. Not sure how the console version does it, but I would think they are the same.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I would be careful with that. I'm not sure if the contents of the reward bag are set when you earn it or when you claim it or what. It very well could be that hitting the last task on a tier with e.g. the Necromancer will make the bag for that tier have Necromancer armor. Or not! I don't know! But I wouldn't assume anything about the scenario one way or the other until someone who knows for 100% sure can chime in.

• Options
    On Switch the contents of Haedrig's Gift are set when you claim the reward (possibly when you open the gift? But I don't think so)

Who you're playing when you fill the season journey doesn't matter at all

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    So yes you can earn the sets on Necro and then claim them on another character. However, unless you want to be looking to upgrade the set pieces, don't open them on a character that hasn't hit level 70 as I believe they will spawn at character level (or at least 61+ anyway)

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021

The Rathma set changes make it technically a pet build, however, it isn't really at all. Yes you have a large army of pets all the time, in fact you have to in order for it to work correctly. The problem is, the pet damage doesn't scale at all with the set, and they exist purely to provide you with protection and to reduce the cooldown and empower Army of the Dead, which is more of a single use spell that has the graphics of a lot of skele's, but functionally is more like any other targetable AoE spell. Very quickly the play involves commanding your skeletons and other minions to attack to get the cooldown reduction, but they absolutely can't kill even a trash monster on their own, it's just to get a normally like 2m cooldown ability to be used on command.

Personally, it is extremely disappointing. I imagine if you tried hard enough, you could come up with an LoD build that actually strengthens your pets to the point of being functional, but I doubt it would be something that would be able to push much past 100, before you started needing the sheer amount of multipliers from focused builds like LoD Mages or Scythe to get any further.

Necro should be a pet class. There should be several ways to get builds where your minions are actually the focus; instead it's an almost entirely nuking class with the motif of minions, but never actually relies on them as the primary source of damage (except mages in a couple builds, but they're temporary and gameplay revolves less around commanding them, and just keeping enough up at any given time to be functional, or a resource gen game to keep up the singularity).

Probably, as of right now, your best bet for a pet build/class that actually uses the pets for the damage and focus, is Helltooth Witch Doctor. :( EDIT: or, a slightly smaller group of minions, inna's Monk.

EDIT EDIT: I'm sure the smarter theorycrafters in the community have already considered it, but I wonder if there's a way to modify Rathma to also bring in Thorns damage on minions in a functional way? EDIT3: probably not, existing necro thorns builds rely on LoD to make the thorns damage worth a darn (there's only the one skill that gives your pets 200% of your thorns), and the new Rathma doesn't increase pet damage at all.

Shitty! Shitty shitty bang bang! Man they screwed the pooch with the Rathma changes, it was at best a horizontal change, but honestly I think it is overall worse than the previous version.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Yeah I was real disappointed with Rathmas; it might have been more fun if they left the bone spirit buff in, but it still has the problem of your pets really just doing cooldown refreshing

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    While I've yet to really GR push either Necro or Witch Doctor I have noticed that zombie dogs and especially fetishes are really good at killing things. I don't think my skellys have ever killed anything and I usually use my golem to drop corpses. Basically Necro minions are meat shields (quite good ones, afaik), damage comes from Mages/Revives and corpse/bone skills

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    For gearing up followers that are a different primary stat from your main, what's the suggested process? Stocking up mats, rolling a level 1 of the class with the same primary stat (ex: Scoundrel>DH), and then gambling/crafting?

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Unless you find/craft what you want that's already fine except the wrong main stat, then you can just use the alt to reroll main stat.

Otherwise yeah, that's about it.

• Options
    For gearing up followers that are a different primary stat from your main, what's the suggested process? Stocking up mats, rolling a level 1 of the class with the same primary stat (ex: Scoundrel>DH), and then gambling/crafting?

I'm lazy and just stuff gems into the pieces.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Bows don't drop often on a non-DH but you can get around that by upgrading crafted rare bows in the cube

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options

*Rathma stuff*

Oh, wow, even though I didn’t really want a pet build, it’s sad to hear a Necro’s pets aren’t really useful for harder stuff.

I’m about level 51 with my Necro now. Just working through the story with my gf who never really did it. I’m feeling pretty weak compared to her Wizard, though I’m not sure if I just have a bad skill setup or worse luck with good items or if Wizards are just OP or what. Corpse Explosion seems like the best skill, and it is definitely good and satisfying, but getting a corpse in the first place can be the tough part. I know I’m still early in, so there’s probably that one Legendary that makes some skill way more useful.

Overall it’s pretty fun though

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Ranlin wrote: »
    Unless you find/craft what you want that's already fine except the wrong main stat, then you can just use the alt to reroll main stat.

Ringo wrote: »
    Bows don't drop often on a non-DH but you can get around that by upgrading crafted rare bows in the cube

Thanks! I’ve started stockpiling excess emanate gear in my bank that I can use for rerolls with a DH alt

• Options
    Ranlin wrote: »

Thanks! I’ve started stockpiling excess emanate gear in my bank that I can use for rerolls with a DH alt

You know, I've never considered actually making an alt with the attributes to give my follower weapons/gear that they could use. Wonder how much better it is to give them that now that they made the followers have gear. Before this season they were just useful for their skills (and the ring/amulet set).

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    All the follower powers are now based on their main stat values, so it's much more useful than in the past. Follower damage still becomes negligible though I wonder if Legacy of Dreams or the ring set could fix that?

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Think LOD and the ring set don’t apply to followers.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Since at least one person was wondering:

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »

Too late! :bigfrown:
    I already bought the game for my buddy, he's in TMH now. :hydra:

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    Noggin wrote: »

Too late! :bigfrown:
    I already bought the game for my buddy, he's in TMH now. :hydra:

Figures. Your sacrifice brought this on.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

Yeah, I just confirmed that neither do. However Icy Veins says Ring of Royal Grandeur does, as well as the Muliation Guard and Esoteric Alteration legendary gems, so that's neat

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options

Yeah, I just confirmed that neither do. However Icy Veins says Ring of Royal Grandeur does, as well as the Muliation Guard and Esoteric Alteration legendary gems, so that's neat

Yep, RoRG is what you use to have both Cain's and Sage's sets on your follower to get tons of DB and GRift keys. Interesting about the Mutilation Guard and Esoteric gems working.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    It is kind of sad for me when I'm running bounties and players join and I stop getting double DBs

More players means I get mats quickly, but DBs are the shiniest of loot

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    It is kind of sad for me when I'm running bounties and players join and I stop getting double DBs

Yeah, it is funny how the fully equipped followers make it harder to want to group up when you get so much DB and GR keys running solo.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    "Why don't Elites pop up when I click pylons in this Greater Ri... oh, riiiiight, my beloved Follower takes care of that for me..."

Not sure I'll finish this season, but I've made a lot more progress on it than I expected. After a year of heavy Apex Legends play, putting a week or two farming up gear and cubeing legendaries has been fun.

Also, finally playing with enhancing ancients, which I'm not sure I've ever done before, but at least it gives me a specific thing to do with high tier gems I end up with over time that I don't intend to use otherwise.

Rathma AotD isn't exactly the crazy farming speed that some other classes get, but I've changed to an attack speed focus and it's up pretty regularly, and with the build I have going I'm still feeling pretty hard to kill at least, which is pretty important for a Hardcore build, even with at least 2 'outs' between my Follower and passive.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    All followers really care about is main stat, so you can usually just reroll stuff to whatever one they need. Weapons are a hassle but it doesn’t seem like there’s too many consequential follower weapons that don’t drop for everyone

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I loaded up the original Diablo 2 and when I open it up the screen formatting is completely off and I can't click any options to fix it. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Yeah, it is funny how the fully equipped followers make it harder to want to group up when you get so much DB and GR keys running solo.

The flipside is when you're solo you get so many DBs and GR keys that you don't need any more, so grouping is painless.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I loaded up the original Diablo 2 and when I open it up the screen formatting is completely off and I can't click any options to fix it. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

You might need to run it in compatibility mode and change the DPI scaling mode.

However what I did was grab the Glide Wrapper from here http://www.svenswrapper.de/english/ and install it per instructions.

It allowed D2 to work properly in 4:3 on my 4k TV.

I did have to enable the desktopresolution option with the Glide wrapper for it to work correctly for me.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Well that was just the most frustrating Switch experience I've had

Torment 1, 4 players, running Bounties, and I smack a Rainbow goblin in the moon clan cave - boom, portal to Whimsydale

Cue 30 minutes of me trying desperately to coax anyone into following me to my destination only for all of them to eventually log out.

AUGH

Whimsydale is so much better on mute by the way

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
This discussion has been closed.