As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Second Annual [Quarantimes] Thread

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the transmission risk is for people who are vaccinated?

Friend just set up a "Vaccination Celebration Dim Sum!" thing, and I get the urge since we're all vaccinated and past the waiting period, but I have no idea about the people working the restaurants and if we could transmit something to them.

I don't think there's a lot of good research on it yet, unfortunately.

The presumed answer I've been hearing is that it is possible for vaccinated people to transmit the virus if it is currently active in their system (and being summarily dealt with). However, because their bodies will be taking care of that viral incident fairly quickly, it's not as likely that a vaccinated person will have it in the first place, if that makes sense.

Straightzi on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Friend just set up a "Vaccination Celebration Dim Sum!" thing, and I get the urge since we're all vaccinated and past the waiting period, but I have no idea about the people working the restaurants and if we could transmit something to them.

With regular covid it seems next to no chance. With the variants there isn't enough data. I still won't eat inside once I'm fully vaccinated.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    There really isn't enough data to say. The socially responsible thing is to behave as if you still can transmit the virus and be careful and masked around the non-vaccinated.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Wouldn't the basics of viruses/vaccines indicate that you're not actively shedding enough of the virus to be perceptibly transmissible even if you're able to carry it somehow?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Logically, yes, but we can't say definitively until we actually have data, and this is something that we're better off not risking even the remote chance. Particularly with how incredibly virulent this particular virus is.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    If you do go to a restaurant at least try to aim for a patio so it's safer for the waitstaff etc

But you're better off, like, having a cookout or a picnic with takeout if you can, for example, until there's better data

Initial studies look good in particular for the mRNA stuff but, you know, if you can socialize in a way that supports essential workers but doesn't risk transmission, that's better

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    There's a place around here which has outdoor tables in these big see through plastic teepee style tents.
    I'd imagine they get hot af in the daytime, but it's a cool option

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Psykoma wrote: »
    There's a place around here which has outdoor tables in these big see through plastic teepee style tents.

Ventilation ventilation ventilation. I've seen "outdoor" setups that are less safe than indoor ones due to the lack of ventilation.

If it gets hot during the daytime (assuming it's greenhouse effect/solar heating and not just ambient rising) that's a sign you probably don't want to use it.

Possible exception if you're all in a pod, but now there's the "what about the people before and after you" question, and contributing to staff exposure.

Takeout is the way to go these days, if not unprotected/minimally protected outdoors with a level of distancing. Think seating at a park.

Orca on
    Orca wrote: »

Ventilation ventilation ventilation. I've seen "outdoor" setups that are less safe than indoor ones due to the lack of ventilation.

If it gets hot during the daytime (assuming it's greenhouse effect/solar heating and not just ambient rising) that's a sign you probably don't want to use it.

Possible exception if you're all in a pod, but now there's the "what about the people before and after you" question, and contributing to staff exposure.

Takeout is the way to go these days, if not unprotected/minimally protected outdoors with a level of distancing. Think seating at a park.

Important to note Psykoma is currently in PEI which has like, a New Zealand level of caseload (as do the other Atlantic provinces of Canada)

Steam
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I got my oil changed and that was about it for me I think. I got a few groceries delivered because I didn't feel like walking to the store. It's such a nice day though, and I'm about to work all weekend so I hate to waste it but this shit has me zapped.

You little bastards all doing stuff in my blood better be finished with this by tomorrow.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    As my father is having surgery soon, I asked a (fairly highly placed) doctor friend of mine about safety and timing after vaccination.
    She deemed me safe to fly on a plane a week after the second shot to... jeez, I know this is the really critical bit of info, but I don't recall the exact percentage. 90%+ effectiveness, I am pretty sure.
    Oh, and I am in process on the Pfizer vaccine, that's important. @Kyougu what shot did you get?

On reflection, having someone with urgent circumstances asking a doctor about their specific scenario probably doesn't translate well through my piss-poor lay translation. I'd probably just see if pushing it back a week or two was possible; just say you're busy and leave out the fact that you're busy letting your antibodies build up.

Cello wrote: »

Important to note Psykoma is currently in PEI which has like, a New Zealand level of caseload (as do the other Atlantic provinces of Canada)

Ahh, that's different then. There the risk is low enough I'd feel safe eating indoors, which isn't something I'd want to do anywhere on the west coast of the Americas.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular

Ahh, that's different then. There the risk is low enough I'd feel safe eating indoors, which isn't something I'd want to do anywhere on the west coast of the Americas.

We currently have 7 active cases and have never had a covid hospitalization in a province with a population ~156k

I sure as fuck wouldn't eat at a restaurant in Montreal.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I get my second shot next week

But my county is the highest case count in my state

Tallahasseeriel on

Yeah, Canada is effectively a case study in what different levels of pandemic restriction will do for you

The Maritimes and the northern Territories have taken it incredibly seriously and had very few cases; restricting travel from out of province/territory, having impressively high vaccination levels already in the Northwest Territories/Yukon/Nunavut and being able to live life almost as normal in the Maritimes to the point that most of the pandemic allowed people who lived there to safely travel between them for tourism purposes for the majority of the year, with provincial lockdowns for double digits cases

Whereas the rest of us are showing what happens if you have looser restrictions - three waves and counting, ICUs at risk of running out of staff, etc

It is so wild having conversations with my friend in Halifax who still goes out for wing night every week and plays board games - in houses even!!

Steam
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Rachel and I got our shots scheduled

1st one is 4/20, baybee 8-)

Moriveth wrote: »

Stick 'em if you got 'em!

• SleepSleep Registered User regular

Nice, get a jab and jay, have yourself a nice day

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

nice

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular

Even once my partner gets the shots, we're not going to go crazy on public outings until likely many months after. Preemptive celebration doesn't have a good track record.

edited April 2021
    Anyone else keep seeing ads for some eink notebook thing?

I'm wondering why I'm getting targeted with them so much.

Tallahasseeriel on

Lol at people browsing without an ad-blocker

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

Even once my partner gets the shots, we're not going to go crazy on public outings until likely many months after. Preemptive celebration doesn't have a good track record.

Same. I had a little three-restaurant spree when my birthday coincided with my vaccines fully powering up, and now it's back to takeout and home cooking, with monthly outdoor book club yard dinners as long as the weather holds out.

GDdCWMm.jpg

Lol at people browsing without an ad-blocker

I'm scrolling my fb feed on my phone though?

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Well, there's yer problem.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

Yeah, I have a friend that actually bought one. He likes it, but admits he’s kind of forced himself to like it because he spent so much on it. I can’t remember the main drawbacks, but I think it’s a wait one more generation piece if technology.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

Yeah, Canada is effectively a case study in what different levels of pandemic restriction will do for you

The Maritimes and the northern Territories have taken it incredibly seriously and had very few cases; restricting travel from out of province/territory, having impressively high vaccination levels already in the Northwest Territories/Yukon/Nunavut and being able to live life almost as normal in the Maritimes to the point that most of the pandemic allowed people who lived there to safely travel between them for tourism purposes for the majority of the year, with provincial lockdowns for double digits cases

Whereas the rest of us are showing what happens if you have looser restrictions - three waves and counting, ICUs at risk of running out of staff, etc

It is so wild having conversations with my friend in Halifax who still goes out for wing night every week and plays board games - in houses even!!

shit what where is there a good wing night still you need to get that info for me

edited April 2021
    Blake T wrote: »

Yeah, I have a friend that actually bought one. He likes it, but admits he’s kind of forced himself to like it because he spent so much on it. I can’t remember the main drawbacks, but I think it’s a wait one more generation piece if technology.

Yeah they look neat actually but that price tag is a real turn off honestly after finally looking it up.

I have trouble with paper notebooks myself because the way I organize things is more suited towards computer file structure where you can make infinite copies and move things freely.

I always end up with a like 4 active paper notebooks at any given time with little to no logic between how they are laid out.

I would just use my laptop but there is something to they idea of using your hand to write a note that makes it stick in your head better that I think is true.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Point of Order:

Are we saying nice for the weed number AND the sex number now?

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Point of Order:

nice

edited April 2021
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    Point of Order:

nice
    nAvatar_6169.jpg

Orca on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »

Same. I had a little three-restaurant spree when my birthday coincided with my vaccines fully powering up, and now it's back to takeout and home cooking, with monthly outdoor book club yard dinners as long as the weather holds out.

Her two besties are medical lab types, so they got vaccinated early, and her parents are in the upper age bracket so they got theirs before my job got opened up, so that's been our entire social circle. Us four(us & the rad science ladies) had a nice little get together a week or so after my first shot. We really miss going to community theater but oh wow sitting right next to total strangers again.

Yeah this is a generational trauma thing.

Weaver on
    Fearghaill wrote: »

shit what where is there a good wing night still you need to get that info for me

I shall inquire

Steam
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I visited relatives last week and realised as I was stood in a room with my parents, grandparents, and aunt that I was the only person who hadn't had any vaccinations and I felt like a fragile baby bird.

Well, we get to find out today what fresh restrictions Ontario is gonna get, but the word "humanitarian crisis" is being thrown around a bunch now based on the modelling to be revealed, so wooooo

Steam
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Girlfriend and I are both fully jabbed for a month now. We went to our old bar to have a drink and see how they were doing, but left basically the instant somebody else entered the building. Still doing pickups and delivery for food and groceries and likely will for a long time.

She's starting to crack and get a bit stir crazy though. She also wants to to go to Pennsylvania for her nieces 4th birthday in the beginning of July; an event to which I should probably go because it's been a couple years and I've never met any of her family despite her knowing all of mine. We'll likely be driving, which I absolutely hate and abhor; in my version of Hell I'm stuck on a fucking road trip, but the thought of flying induces panic levels of anxiety.

It still feels too soon.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Husband got his second shot, yay
    Daughter is quarantined from school because a classmate tested positive, boo

I feel like we are so close here, but can't quite get there.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    If you’re intrigued this is what it feels like to be involved with the vaccination process from the other side:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bMrDLUVzk00

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    edit: nevermind folks don't need their days brought down by my incredibly petty twitter rantings

3cl1ps3 on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Felt okay right up until I had to go to sleep last night and since then I've basically been drifting in and out of feverish sleep

This discussion has been closed.