As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WOOF WOOF: It's a Dog Thread

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Imagine knowing how you sleep. How would you even do that? Record yourself?

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Imagine knowing how you sleep. How would you even do that? Record yourself?

I have 3 brothers we all know how the others sleep because its a prime area of mocking

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • TubeTube Registered User admin

Asparagus “Gus” McNamara

Tweeter is me

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    OMG those fluffy paws!

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    He’s enormous!

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Thats a chunky baby boy, congratulations Tube!

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Tube going for the bold strategy of "only have dogs that are bigger than you" :D

I can think of very few dog breeds smaller than a hedgehog.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Our covid bubble got a puppy!

Forum, meet Juniper. She's not very sure of anything right now except she likes to eat cactus and sleep on people.

yxmxuzswpjy6.jpg
    dyhqr3rpqkel.jpg
    panbqwp3k1v0.jpg

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    I love Juniper!!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Juniper is a great word in general and I feel like it lends itself to lots of nicknames

top-tier pick

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    oh

those forehead wrinkles make her look like such a thoughtful girl

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    oh

who eats cactus

Magic Pink wrote: »
    oh

who eats cactus

Apparently people do. Once its been despiked. Presumably a dog would skip a step

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i've eaten it and hugged one because it was fuzzy but i am historically not a clever individual

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    oh

who eats cactus

Apparently people do. Once its been despiked. Presumably a dog would skip a step

Prickly pear is fairly tasty.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I think im going to make the tough call and ask my dad to rehome his dog. My Dad lives with my wife and I like 90% of the time, and we live out in the country, right? Well last November he adopted this Marema puppy, a livestock guardian dog. 5 months old and the previous owners couldn't handle him. He was already a big dog and was rough with their small kids.

Anyways, my Dad gets this dog at the urging of my mom, and it has become apparent to me that he doesn't have the time to devote to this dog. They thought it would be similar to a golden retriever. It is not. The dog is very aloof, and I can tell is probably bored out of its mind. It doesn't have a job to do and they are a very job focused breed.

So the dog is my problem a lot of days since I work from home. My Dad sees it in the morning to give it some food, and in the evenings after work for a walk and its dinner. Or in cases like this weekend where he goes and visits my mom, the dog is 100% my problem, and one I don't want.

The dog deserves a home where it can work and be trained. These dogs arent a pet breed, and its a disservice to treat it as such and to be ignored most of the day. Its not going to be a fun conversation.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    38977l72uovz.jpg

Russell turned a year old a few days ago, here he is at daycare for his birthday party.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Here is Gigi. She's a mess, but I love her. We don't know what she is. We were told Shih tzu and Yorkshire Terrier, but she looks more like she's mixed with a Havanese.

r5eoa1wbwif6.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    38977l72uovz.jpg

Russell turned a year old a few days ago, here he is at daycare for his birthday party.

I don't think I've ever felt so judged by a dog before.
    I'm sorry, Russell, I didn't mean to disappoint you.
    I'll never do it again, whatever it was I did.

The Internet is fucking useless for what I want here, so I'ma ask you dog experts a question.

How do I calculate a dog's BMR? My poor boy has put on too much weight recuperating from his surgeries, but I want to give him enough food that he feels satiety but little enough that he is in a caloric deficit. The surgeon says I can just multiply his target weight in pounds by 5 and feed him that many calories, but that's not a lot of food, and I don't want to starve the poor fella.

edited April 2021
    If it's a known breed, I would check the breed standard for target weight - dogs even of the same height and length vary wildly in terms of musculature.

The way I've always been told to handle pet diets is to gradually cut back on food until you notice they're losing weight and hold it there until or unless they have a long plateau before cutting back more. Also the tactile test for dog weight is that you should be able to feel but not necessarily count their ribs (or only just) when giving them a torso rub while they're standing.

Edit: and if you're sure they're getting enough food but theyre giving you IM STARVING face, dogs can't really metabolise the starches in potato so a quick microwaved potato or two will fill them up without busting their diets, it mostly passes straight through

tynic on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Try giving them lettuce as filler food whilst on a diet, they can eat it no problem. Our 1yo goes fucking apeshit for the bottom of a lettuce head when we're making salads.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    specific daily calories for dogs are difficult to calculate and are generally a 'by feel' sorta thing

basically, you gotta experiment and go slow with it

That dog looks like a healthy weight? Give that poor baby a sweet potato or a carrot or something.

tOkYVT2.jpg
    That dog looks like a healthy weight? Give that poor baby a sweet potato or a carrot or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E57o0K2kMWc

I am convinced Pip is only subscribed to dogs on youtube.

Cashew is a great dog name.

tOkYVT2.jpg
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I am convinced Pip is only subscribed to dogs on youtube.

Not the worst youtube sub philosophy tbh

My instagram feed is almost entirely dogs.

tynic wrote: »
    My instagram feed is almost entirely dogs.

To be fair photos of your dogs have to be taken in segments to fit them all in

Here's a happy Russell at daycare today:

fic0u43rhigd.jpg

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I just watched a video on FB from a dog groomer and now I want to see how floofy Russell would get from a wash and blow dry

He gets groomed every two months, I'll make sure to post a picture in mid-May after his next session. He gets VERY poofy.

tOkYVT2.jpg
    I don't think I ever posted this picture, this was when he first came home in August 2020 as a little guy:

ib54f75xiqmc.jpeg

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Our corgi, Joxer, is 15 today.

BLM - ACAB
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I think there's a problem with the forums because the photo of your dog eating a birthday cake which you definitely must have posted isn't showing for me

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    No birthday cake, but I did take this pic just now.

d7tiwns1p5ev.jpeg

BLM - ACAB
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Hi Joxer! 🎂