As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Stompybots? Stompybots. STOMPYBOTS! MW5 on Steam NOW!

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Kay wrote: »
    I thought SRM Jenner-IICs were like, the OG Jenner-IIC meta. I have one with a real similar build sitting at around 40 skillpoints from years ago.

I meant as in the dead side builds. I run mine with all SRM4s (after deeming the all SRM6 build is too slow) and no dead side to my builds.

OH. Good point, I'd forgotten about that part. Maybe a nod to NASCAR bullshit. :|

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    This time I literally died in one alpha, all of it to my CT.
    Is this mech glitched?

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    The Warhawk is a good mech, but very one note (meta is quad ERPPC, and that was even before the PPC patch).

As for 64 KPH assaults, there’s also the Blood Asp which is a common staple in Faction and gets some use in QP.

I mean...

For 64kph, there's also the Kodiak and Executioner.

And then there are the ones that go faster and can push 72kph or above: Mad Cat Mk2, Gargoyle, Marauder IIC, and Warhammer IIC

There are actually quite a few Clan assaults that are (relatively) quick for their size.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, some of those tend to keep their engine below 64 kph, and others tend to be rarer.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    monkeykins wrote: »
    Is this mech glitched?

For what it's worth, and it's not worth much mind you, the Trebuchet has always had a fragile and vulnerable CT. This is going back to when it was my first 'mech which was around seven years ago. You either learned to hide behind squaddies while in a TBT, or you got shot out of your ride.

This quote is from Rak's Armory from forever ago:
    The Trebuchet is pretty much a big Spider. It's fast, agile, responsive and has great air time with JJs. However, it has a ridiculously designed CT hitbox that houses a black hole that sucks every single bit of damage thrown in its vicinity. Seriously, I have tens of hours in some of my Trebuchets and they're the only 'Mechs where I took side torso armor off to make free tonnage. They're so ridiculously hard to ST. Another weakness is its huge arms (more so with the latest dynamic geometry update) which house almost all of its firepower. It's not hard to leg either. I especially find it amusing that PGI chose to give it extra structure in it quirks rather than CT.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Can't believe we're talking about fast assaults when the 86kph Charger is right there.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Nips wrote: »
    Is this mech glitched?

For what it's worth, and it's not worth much mind you, the Trebuchet has always had a fragile and vulnerable CT. This is going back to when it was my first 'mech which was around seven years ago. You either learned to hide behind squaddies while in a TBT, or you got shot out of your ride.

The Trebuchet is pretty much a big Spider. It's fast, agile, responsive and has great air time with JJs. However, it has a ridiculously designed CT hitbox that houses a black hole that sucks every single bit of damage thrown in its vicinity. Seriously, I have tens of hours in some of my Trebuchets and they're the only 'Mechs where I took side torso armor off to make free tonnage. They're so ridiculously hard to ST. Another weakness is its huge arms (more so with the latest dynamic geometry update) which house almost all of its firepower. It's not hard to leg either. I especially find it amusing that PGI chose to give it extra structure in it quirks rather than CT.

It does literally have a black hole CT. I've never played another mech that will take front CT damage while facing nearly 100 degrees away from and enemy.
    I've never played another mech where my CT is the only thing damaged when I die nearly half the time. It's insane.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I don't even play MWO, but I appreciate that description :lol:

Treb hitbox:
    alf1u0x9jsi3.png

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I love how kicking a mech in the dick counts as a CT hit.

Yup, that's how more than a few people end up getting cored out even when twisting, they forget they can get shot in the junk. Gotta twist the legs too unless your waist is in cover.

Yeah, "How to Light 'mech" step 2 is shoot da booty

• Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I love how kicking a mech in the dick counts as a CT hit.

It used to be much worse. Early in the game the entire pelvic area of the mech counted as CT, front and rear.

sXXjb1B.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Is this mech glitched?

It does literally have a black hole CT. I've never played another mech that will take front CT damage while facing nearly 100 degrees away from and enemy.
    I've never played another mech where my CT is the only thing damaged when I die nearly half the time. It's insane.
    Let me tell you about Catapults before their hitboxes were tweaked and the entire mech was made smaller. A thing I forgot (or suppressed as a traumatic memory) when looking it up again, its head hitbox used to be huge.
    fhdfnz4edkcs.png

No reason NOT to run XL in that thing

Treb hitbox:
    alf1u0x9jsi3.png

I won't be convinced the hit registration on it isn't broken. There is no way that I should be taking all the damage in my CT, even from lasers, while moving and twisting.

Basically, I'm actually going to have to play this mech differently, more like an Assault that won't share armor.

Are there any Trebuchets on training maps? If so, you could just take some short range lasers, lock on to them and watch the paperdoll to see were the damage registers.

Glal wrote: »
    Are there any Trebuchets on training maps? If so, you could just take some short range lasers, lock on to them and watch the paperdoll to see were the damage registers.

OK, science man, try and force me to take the blame for my own poor performance...

It’s not your performance, Trebuchets just happen to be super easy to core out because of their hit boxes :p

I have that issue on my TBT too, and I’ve posted screenshots of some of my mechs in here that were held together with prayer.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    The treb also has a profile that makes it easy to quickly see where to shoot for CT; it doesn’t have big shoulders and it’s not like a catapult or something that’s got a curved surface, so from lots of angles you can just aim for the middle and get CT.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    The treb also has a profile that makes it easy to quickly see where to shoot for CT; it doesn’t have big shoulders and it’s not like a catapult or something that’s got a curved surface, so from lots of angles you can just aim for the middle and get CT.

Probably doesn't help that my paint job has the CT as bright purple, while the side torsos are the dark grey MRM tubes.

edited April 2021
    Okay yeah that definitely doesn’t help

(It’s also the reason I don’t use decals, so easy to accidentally give an opponent a target to shoot for a specific component)

Nobody on
    A friend of mine always places a bright red X over his cabins, so they know where not to shoot.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    eh I doubt most people are seeing your paint/decals anyway, unless they're right in your face

the reality is that even mediocre shooter players like me are evidently far better at gunnery than even the most seasoned mechwarriors, so it's not uncommon at all to get your CT (or even arms and legs) targeted down in a way you wouldn't expect to happen in a proper battletech setting

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    eh I doubt most people are seeing your paint/decals anyway, unless they're right in your face

the reality is that even mediocre shooter players like me are evidently far better at gunnery than even the most seasoned mechwarriors, so it's not uncommon at all to get your CT (or even arms and legs) targeted down in a way you wouldn't expect to happen in a proper battletech setting

I did pretty OK in the newest Modern Warfare, or at least spent a lot of time and unlocked the Damascus camo, but I can't grok unlocked arm shooting in MWO. I am also terrible at heat management. Single-thread brain processing, I guess.

Patch notes up: https://mwomercs.com/news/2021/04/2507-patch-notes-142410-20april2021

Thunderbolt quirks:
    PPC Heat Generation -5%
    Missile Cooldown -15%
    Heat -5%
    Velocity +10%
    Base Armor (CT) +11
    Base Armor (LT) +10
    Base Armor (RT) +10
    Base Structure (LA) +10
    Base Structure (RA) +10
    Base Structure (LL) +10
    Base Structure (RL) +10

Grand Dragon quirks:
    Missile Cooldown -15%
    Cooldown -10%
    Heat -10%
    Velocity +20%
    Base Armor (CT) +20
    Base Armor (LT) +20
    Base Armor (RT) +20
    Base Armor (LA) +14
    Base Armor (RA) +15
    Base Structure (CT) +15
    Base Structure (RA) +10
    Base Structure (LL) +18
    Base Structure (RL) +18

Nothing surprising here, 25% total cooldown on missiles makes me kinda wish the DRG-1G actually had missile hard points other than the two in the CT.

I might consider going with a sPPC/SRM-4 brawl build.

Also, the picture for the DRG-1G confirms that the RT energy hardpoint is the same height as the LT

Thinking something like this for the DRG-1G

Probably make the IS version of the poptart summoner with the TDR-10SE

I did pretty OK in the newest Modern Warfare, or at least spent a lot of time and unlocked the Damascus camo, but I can't grok unlocked arm shooting in MWO. I am also terrible at heat management. Single-thread brain processing, I guess.
    I cannot play that game with my arms locked, even on mechs where all my weapons are on the torsos (which in the current meta is most of them), having my mouselook have noticeable negative acceleration feels too fucked. About 5-10 years ago there were loads of shitty console ports that capped your mouse turn speed to the max speed of gamepad turning and I just could not deal with them, it's so counter to the paradigm of how mice work.

I had completely stripped, orange structure mechs that my MRM60-or-80 just made increasingly darker orange over subsequent volleys, when a pair of lasers would have resulted in a kill.
    Thinking about this, how about comboing an MRM mech with a secondary weapon that deals crits to exposed structure? Like machine guns, or LBX?

Problem is, since MRMs are IS only, you can't mix and match omnipods to get the required hardpoints. Might also be an issue of having enough ammo, since both those systems need it.

I had completely stripped, orange structure mechs that my MRM60-or-80 just made increasingly darker orange over subsequent volleys, when a pair of lasers would have resulted in a kill.
    Thinking about this, how about comboing an MRM mech with a secondary weapon that deals crits to exposed structure? Like machine guns, or LBX?

Problem is, since MRMs are IS only, you can't mix and match omnipods to get the required hardpoints. Might also be an issue of having enough ammo, since both those systems need it.

Couple of assaults can pull it off, depending on the exact weapon mix. MRMs have comparable range to LB-10Xs, so if you pair those out you can get a lot of sand blasting.

Problem is the LB-20X pairs well with SRMs and that ends up being a lot more effective because of how much better it rides the line between shotgunning and crit-seeking. And they pair pretty much identically for both tech bases so you can run the insanely superior clan versions.

And another dream dies.

You see that weapon combo on the Atlas (that or a HGR instead of the LBX). Highlanders too.

Could do MRMs/MGs on the CPLT-C2, but it has a few solid builds already.

Mainly I think it’s just running out of crit slots or tonnage.

edited April 2021
    KGC-000 L350 6xLMG(1) 2xLPL 2xMRM30(4) AMS(1) 6DHS (Endosteel + DHS)

-or-

KGC-001 L350 6xLMG(2) 2xLL 2xMRM30(5) AMS (1) 4DHS (Endosteel + DHS)

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    XL KGC is a trap IMO.

Don't they usually die to CT?

When I see KGCs they are getting XL checked.

• RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    I lose side torsos all the time when I'm in mine. This is the teir list kaiju from grimm https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#520dd7df_KGC-KJ it does the LBX + mrm thing and the back mounts are actually pretty good.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Maybe it's because I hopped on at 4am but I got the trial mech shit for the event done. The hardest one was the Jenner, by far. That shit had no armor and had to get close for any sort of damage. Plus, it's a Jenner. Why not just have me walk around on fucking stilts shouting "KILL ME."

Hilariously the Adder and Shadowcat were two of my best performing matches in all my trial mech "please at least get KMDD" shenanigans. Especially the Adder. I actually own that variant already but have never been able to make it work. But this morning? Fucking 700 damage with 4 KMDD in the one match I played the trial version in.

XL KGC is a trap IMO.

I meant light engine, but if you'd messed with the build it'd quickly have become obvious, sorry!

ew9y0DD.png
    Sorry, was on mobile so I couldn’t play with it