As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] United in Horror at All of This

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    That's the same way Explosive Runes works.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Beasteh wrote: »
    alright pro tip: never ever use hysteria on trampling rhino

e: okay piercing shot does NOT work the way you would expect it to work vs divine shields

just piercing shot a divine shield 1/1 and it did 5 to my face for lethal??
    Piercing Shotting a Divine Shield hurts your own face? That is a big helping of spaghetti.
    Yilias wrote: »
    That's the same way Explosive Runes works.
    Errr, wait. I guess Beasteh's post is a bit ambiguous. I thought he was saying that he was the one that cast Piercing Shot. If it was his opponent, then yes, nothing weird there. Piercing Shot is literally just Explosive Runes as a spell.

forty on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    yeah in situations where a spell is going "I assign enough damage to kill a unit, and the rest to the face", spells don't see Divine Shield. So they assign damage equal to toughness, and then assign damage to face, and then the damage to toughness gets blocked by the divine shield.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    If there were text on Explosive Runes/Piercing Shot about actually killing the minion, then there would be a pretty good case for saying they're broken.

• Options
    I trust exactly 0 rules text on anything in Hearthstone.

• Options
    hearthstone card rules text is conversational rather than literal

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    welcome to hearthstone where the rules are made up and the points don't matter

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Dibby wrote: »
    welcome to hearthstone where the rules are made up and the points don't matter

no sorry, counterspell vs flare still makes sense

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    7 years since release and Counterspell still has a unique keyword.

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    7 years since release and Counterspell still has a unique keyword.

This is not a bad thing. Counterspells are high on the list of worst things to face in a card game, imo.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    I mean there's already a second counterspell in standard now, it just doesn't use the Counter keyword.

• Options
    Jakarrd wrote: »
    I went mage: incanters flow, refreshing spring water, fireball. turn 4 you can get obscene 30 damage kills
    Thankfully this worked for me as a one and done. Played against some poor baby seal Hunter who dropped two Sunscale Raptors on turn 1, Imprisoned Felmaw on 2, Animal Companion on 3, then got blown up for 30 damage by me on 4.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Something that can burn through a Priest or Warlock:

### Aggro
    # Class: Demon Hunter
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Gryphon
    #
    # 2x (1) Fury (Rank 1)
    # 2x (1) Illidari Studies
    # 2x (1) Intrepid Initiate
    # 2x (2) Chaos Strike
    # 2x (2) Cult Neophyte
    # 2x (2) Wandmaker
    # 2x (3) Aldrachi Warblades
    # 2x (3) Eye Beam
    # 2x (3) Gan'arg Glaivesmith
    # 1x (3) Magehunter
    # 2x (3) Relentless Pursuit
    # 1x (4) Kazakus, Golem Shaper
    # 2x (5) Warglaives of Azzinoth
    # 2x (6) Bladed Lady
    # 2x (6) Skull of Gul'dan
    # 2x (8) Illidari Inquisitor
    #
    AAECAea5AwLezgP86AMO2cYD3MwD/tEDi9UDxd0DzN0D8+MDwvED0fcDgIUEg58Etp8EsqAE7KAEAA==

Lots of burst damage and draw in there with some healing if you need it. Magehunter is there to silence taunts or annoying minions.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Playing rush warrior vs control priest ft. C'thun and I thoroughly enjoyed just sitting there armoring up each turn with a full grip waiting for them to panic dump useless spells from their hand and realize they had been drawing themself into fatigue

What's C'thun going to do vs 58 life? heh, greetings.

• Options
    Classic VS #1

Pretty consistent with what I can remember from back in the day, only surprise is Handlock in T3.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Short of playing face decks, does anyone feel like playing against mage is any better than pre-nerf? It doesn’t really seem to matter that lunacy is 2 more mana unless you’re playing a very aggressive deck. They even shrug off something like midrange. It’s ridiculous watching them draw tons of cards and have every answer until they can play some ridiculous cards.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Spell mage kind of folds to aggro unless they get early double Incanter's Flow and a bunch of draw (which is how they improve their winrate vs any class buts it's more important vs aggro)

They can have a hand full of fireballs apexis blasts and mask of C'thun but it doesn't mean shit if they're dead next turn

• Options
    Eh, the deck does have a good amount of cheap removal as well. If they're drawing their Brain Freezes, Runed Orbs, Combustions, and get good minions off of Font, they can often slow down an aggro deck enough to make it to their superior mid/late game.

• Options
    Holy crap I just noticed Argent Protector in Core is a 3/2.

• Options
    WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    Short of playing face decks, does anyone feel like playing against mage is any better than pre-nerf? It doesn’t really seem to matter that lunacy is 2 more mana unless you’re playing a very aggressive deck. They even shrug off something like midrange. It’s ridiculous watching them draw tons of cards and have every answer until they can play some ridiculous cards.

Rush Warrior can hang against Mage with hand buffing.

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Warlock still a hard deck to beat with my ConTROLol, but at least I made it somewhat managable. That being said: I had no business winning this game but this guy just misplayed his Tickatus twice and hoped for the best when I had already played 3 C'Thun Pieces:

https://hsreplay.net/replay/56L3e63Vbowrv5SRt4PAwc

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Been running some different decks in wild that I've had fun with, though they aren't consistent given the combo decks you see (I'm looking at you druid jade combo that gains 2k armor).

This one runs a combo of getting plot twist and ritual before hemet. Then draw till your deck is empty and you are at least at 8 mana (9 if you wanna test for yogg or counter).
    combo: play dollmaster, plot twist (suffling mecha'thun and kael'thas), then play ritual of doom on any BUT kael and mecha, then cataclysm to wipe board and hand for insta-kill. Usually this wins or loses by turn 10.

### Mecha Doom
    # Class: Warlock
    # Format: Wild
    #
    # 2x (0) Ritual of Doom
    # 2x (1) Armor Vendor
    # 1x (1) Dark Pact
    # 1x (1) Depth Charge
    # 1x (1) Elven Archer
    # 1x (1) Glacial Shard
    # 1x (1) Kobold Librarian
    # 1x (1) Mistress of Mixtures
    # 2x (1) Mortal Coil
    # 2x (1) Voidwalker
    # 1x (2) Doomsayer
    # 2x (2) Manafeeder Panthara
    # 2x (2) Novice Engineer
    # 1x (2) Plot Twist
    # 1x (3) Backfire
    # 1x (3) Earthen Ring Farseer
    # 1x (3) Free Admission
    # 1x (4) Cataclysm
    # 1x (5) Dollmaster Dorian
    # 1x (6) Hemet, Jungle Hunter
    # 1x (6) Reno Jackson
    # 1x (7) Kael'thas Sunstrider
    # 1x (8) Twisting Nether
    # 1x (10) Mecha'thun
    #
    AAEBAf0GEooBwxaXwQLexAKdxwLy0AL40ALO6QLC8QLx+wLamwOEsQOuugOV3gOT5AO9nwSDoASPoAQGMJwC+84DkuQDjecDsZ8EAA==
    #

Basically get celestial out, run amok with giants. Pretty fun though not full optimized.

### Celestial Giant
    # Class: Druid
    # Format: Wild
    #
    # 1x (1) Biology Project
    # 1x (4) Archmage Vargoth
    # 2x (4) Branching Paths
    # 1x (4) Germination
    # 2x (4) Oaken Summons
    # 2x (4) Overgrowth
    # 1x (5) Aeroponics
    # 2x (6) Nourish
    # 2x (7) Celestial Alignment
    # 2x (7) Overflow
    # 1x (8) Gift of the Wild
    # 2x (8) Ironbark Protector
    # 1x (9) Fizzy Elemental
    # 1x (10) Frost Giant
    # 1x (10) Sea Giant
    # 1x (10) Tyrantus
    # 1x (10) Ultimate Infestation
    # 1x (12) Arcane Giant
    # 2x (12) Clockwork Giant
    # 1x (12) Mountain Giant
    # 2x (20) Molten Giant
    #
    AAEBAeSiBAzTAeEH0BOCtALixwKHzgKP9gLWmQOxrAP8rQPmugOU4AMJzQHcCp7SAoTmAtulA+i6A8DsA9qfBNigBAA=
    #

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    this one feels like it could be a little more refined, not sold on tent trashers but they have obvious synergy with whatley

### Rush
    # Class: Warrior
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Gryphon
    #
    # 2x (1) Athletic Studies
    # 1x (1) Imprisoned Gan'arg
    # 2x (1) Shield of Honor
    # 2x (1) Stage Dive
    # 2x (2) Bumper Car
    # 2x (2) Conditioning (Rank 1)
    # 2x (2) Crabrider
    # 2x (2) Parade Leader
    # 2x (3) Playmaker
    # 1x (3) Rokara
    # 2x (3) Warmaul Challenger
    # 1x (4) Blademaster Samuro
    # 2x (4) Sword Eater
    # 1x (5) Overlord Runthak
    # 1x (5) Ringmaster Whatley
    # 1x (5) Tent Trasher
    # 1x (6) Cairne Bloodhoof
    # 2x (8) Troublemaker
    # 1x (9) Alexstrasza the Life-Binder
    #
    AAECAZfDAwi8uQPA3gPE3gP76AOV7QOqigSwigSjoAQLu7kD4swD3c0Dp84DkdADs94Dtd4Dut4Dwd4DkeQDmO0DAA==
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

PS. do u think maybe i highrolled a little this game

TNdCfOE.png

Beasteh on
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Battlegrounds bug that I ran into that you should be aware of if you are running Beasts. If you have Pack Leader and then pick up Mama Bear, the Pack Leader buff will overwrite the Mama Bear attack buff which I found out the hard way. So, if you play a 1/1 beast, it will become a 3/5 beast. I quickly sold the Pack Leader and all was right in buff land after that.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I know the old spaghetti code joke is always the answer, but I really wonder how something like that happens.

As the wife always says, “coding is hard.”

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Oh my Yogg! can go fuck itself.

3 straight loses to that fucking piece of bullshit getting played 2x each match.

1 mana counterspell is good, who fucking knew.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I ran into that mama bear/pack leader bug on jandice and it really weirded me out

lesson is skip pack leader I suppose

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Why waste a draw and a mana drawing and playing your 1 mana counterspell? Cast it straight from the deck!

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Why waste a draw and a mana drawing and playing your 1 mana counterspell? Cast it straight from the deck!

Oh the sword is still hot garbage too, no need to draw it!

I like the suggestion I saw on Reddit that it only triggers on the 2nd/3rd spell played per turn. Alternatively it needs to be something that’s 1-3 mana more.

Because right now there’s very little chance that the random spell will be helpful while the tempo paladin bashes your face in while you wasted 4 mana to a 1 mana counterspell.

• Options
    Even if it somehow cost as much as Counterspell, it's a ridiculously dumber card because the variance is so high. Sometimes you at least get something valuable out of the new spell, other times it backfires ultra hard like cone of colding your own board or buffing one of their minions and is literally more strong than a 1 mana Counterspell.

I'm not sure what it means that it didn't really seem to see play until this expansion made a Paladin secret package viable.

• Options
    It's been in Wild since it was printed, even without a way to cheat it into play.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    That's what I thought, but it didn't really seem to break into Standard for some reason. (I should have clarified in my post that I was talking about Standard).

forty on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    If someone's playing a spell for "value"/board then its probably a crapshoot whether Yogg helps or hurts. I'm guessing its more helpful when you are negating rarer spell effects like ramp, massive draw or combo pieces.

• Options
    I've had oh my Yogg! be beneficial to me exactly once ever playing against it

• Options
    LOL this might be the most amazing Hearthstone spaghetti I've seen yet.

• Options
    What's peoples' experience with Classic CWar mirrors? I've had a lot of success so far playing aggressively and pressuring life totals, but my opponents all seem to be playing for fatigue and holding all their draw. Am I taking the wrong approach and getting lucky, or are people just used to the 'armor up every turn' CWar we've had in Standard?

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    I don't even...

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    What's peoples' experience with Classic CWar mirrors? I've had a lot of success so far playing aggressively and pressuring life totals, but my opponents all seem to be playing for fatigue and holding all their draw. Am I taking the wrong approach and getting lucky, or are people just used to the 'armor up every turn' CWar we've had in Standard?

The proactive 'hit them in the face until they die' approach works best for me, make them play scared and you won't have to deal with as much miracle rogue/force roar bullshit unless they are very experienced players

• Options
    Druid feels like an awful matchup even if you run Gorehowl.

I was asking about the mirror though.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Battlegrounds bug that I ran into that you should be aware of if you are running Beasts. If you have Pack Leader and then pick up Mama Bear, the Pack Leader buff will overwrite the Mama Bear attack buff which I found out the hard way. So, if you play a 1/1 beast, it will become a 3/5 beast. I quickly sold the Pack Leader and all was right in buff land after that.

Oh my god that's terrible. I'd bet what must be happening is there's one lump step when a creature enters play that modifies it based on outside effects and that includes increases/decreases to attack/health. But rather than using an additional assignment operator (+= which turns x += y into x = x + y) it's probably just a regular assignment operator (=). Taking the 4 that Mama Bear increases the attack and overwriting it with Pack Leader's 2 rather than adding it to make 6.

I wonder why Pack Leader's is applied later than Mama Bear's even when Mama Bear is picked up later though. Like...it's later alphabetically but surely that isn't the reason.

E: Don't even ASK me about that ogre one though.

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin