As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's all complain about the [job] thread

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    It dumped 6-8 inches of wet, heavy snow last night. It's still coming down. I dawdled a bit getting out of bed certain that school would be delayed or cancelled or remote.

Haha, nope. One absolute shitshow of a drive in later and I'm at work. One hour after school has started there's 40 students in the building out of an expected 200-250 for this cohort.

:rotate:

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Reminder to not be like me and rage troubleshoot an issue for 5 hours off the clock.

Issue started out with a service I am trained with but then became about a service I haven’t learned yet as a new hire. I suggested to the on call that the we may want to transfer the case to someone trained in the service in order to get the customer a timely resolution. On call told me I was wrong and the issue was with the service I was trained in.

Well 5 hours later I can safely say the issue was with the service I am not trained it. Though I am rapidly becoming trained in it out of sheer spite.

Oh look it me. Only usually it ends up in a case where due to our management "encouraging" people to "own" the case until resolution, even if it's a case where we don't even have anything to do with the product but we're expected to "liase" with the product experts. Yeah it sounds as annoying as it is.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I have another certification test today, I hope I do well.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Cambiata wrote: »

i bet you're hufflepuff

Magic Pink on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

i bet you're hufflepuff

You can't just say that to someone.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

i bet you're hufflepuff

Wow, rude.

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I really should take more PTO

I have some kind of mental block where I think I don't need "extra" days off, and I also recently hit some milestone where I earn more PTO than I have for years, so I'm earning almost two days a month now

I have to force myself to stay IN work.

I started March with 26.5 days leave, and had 12 left at the start of April.

It's going to be a long 11 months.

edited April 2021
    Y'all acting like being a Hufflepuff is an insult is telling.

expendable on
    Steam
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

i bet you're hufflepuff

i bet you're funatparties

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »

I consider being called any Harry Potter term to be insulting if I know the person is aware of Rowling's TERF status. I'd like to dump that series into a hole somewhere after what she's done to it.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have almost 16 hours of PTO but they are play fast and loose with saying No and certain days are blocked off so I may ask for a weekend off making it a 3 or 4 day weekend
    And I checked my hours worked this week not counting last night I was at 43.26 hours

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

I consider being called any Harry Potter term to be insulting if I know the person is aware of Rowling's TERF status. I'd like to dump that series into a hole somewhere after what she's done to it.

https://www.tiktok.com/@mayalepa/video/6837510886941265157

Madican, maybe

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

i did feel weird doing it knowing what she is but i also know everyone here knows what she is so this is literally the only place i know i could do it

thus it done

I would be delighted if Harry Potter went away forever.

A valid point and one I didn't at all consider. I apologize for my insensitivity.

Steam
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

https://www.tiktok.com/@mayalepa/video/6837510886941265157

Madican, maybe

Wait, I am on this person's side. Does that make me a zoomer now?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

It doesn’t make you anything

Except tired maybe.

Everything makes me tired, that’s for damn sure.

I am definitely 40, God dammit.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Fuckin' wish I was a zoomer.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Ugh... speaking of TERFs I found out a few months ago that an old friend of mine from lawschool is a TERF. She's lesbian, totally a feminist, believes that Black Lives Matter... and yet she was complaining that Men were invading her activist groups and taking away "REAL" women's voices. Holy shit. A mutual friend of ours tried arguing with her (phrasing their argument as that they were "dismayed") but just ended up getting unfriended. Really depressing, and was the straw that finally made me quit FB.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    That sucks!

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    sarukun wrote: »

i bet you're hufflepuff

Wow, rude.

I am a proud hufflepuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z1bUWPKpZg

Edit: Sorry, I do know Rowling is a Terf and I have no plays to finance anything further that she makes, but reading those books was a part of my youth (early 20s) and it's one of those things I uncouple from the author at this point. She's not the author of my personal life experiences, and there were many, many artists involved in the production of those films. The actors at least have come out firmly as trans allies. Rowling herself can go jump in a lake.

Also Sailor J was a great Youtuber and I miss her content.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Management: Hey, we want to let everyone focus on what's important, so please make sure meeting invites have a good agenda so people know if they need to be on that meeting or not.

Also management:

taa0sj1320gw.png

You get agenda's?

Huh...
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I’ve gotta vent for a sec.

I have been, suddenly, made a discipline lead on the largest project our company has ever done over 2 years into the job and I am struggling.

I have no way of knowing why decisions were made over a year ago and people keep fucking bugging me about them.

It’d be one thing if I was in any sort of leadership capacity at the time but I am feeling like I’ve been set up to fail in a whole lot of ways that I won’t get into here.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

I have been, suddenly, made a discipline lead on the largest project our company has ever done over 2 years into the job and I am struggling.

I have no way of knowing why decisions were made over a year ago and people keep fucking bugging me about them.

It’d be one thing if I was in any sort of leadership capacity at the time but I am feeling like I’ve been set up to fail in a whole lot of ways that I won’t get into here.

Start making bold if disastrous decisions and see how much power you've truly been given.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »

Start making bold if disastrous decisions and see how much power you've truly been given.

And then parachute out before those decisions cause their inevitable collapse

*glares at a predecessor's design choices*

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I'm doing a bunch of internal design consulting and with one subteam it's been basically this:

We have this unsolvable looking problem eher e we have to do one thing after the general design freeze that would break several DIN norms and technical rules. Can you help?
    - ugh, that really does look unsolvable. Why are trying this?
    The client wanted these specs modifications after a regular version was presented to him and was told okay, that would work. That was two design phases ago.
    - and did anyone actually did at least a rough check-up of the design before promising that or sometime after but before the design freeze over a year later?

Guess the answer.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    FF wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Management: Hey, we want to let everyone focus on what's important, so please make sure meeting invites have a good agenda so people know if they need to be on that meeting or not.

Also management:

taa0sj1320gw.png

You get agenda's?

After my entire team collectively started declining meetings without one:

Yes. For certain definitions of "agenda".

• FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    I'd still take that as opposed to the "Surprise! You get to know the subject of the meeting maybe, I have a list of questions." meetings from my boss.

Huh...
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The Intern is giving a talk on his work
    and because he doesn't actually understand his work he's giving credit for a bunch of very painful coding I did last year to the software engine we built it on, thanks dude.

Couldn't help myself, I swung into the zoom chat and provided a correction saying "actually the engine didn't have that innately but the lab developed this module he could leverage", hopefully in a way that sounded useful and not dickish.

I mean if nothing else he's misleading people about the software capabilities

Also like, you deserve credit.

I hate to think the worst of Intern but one wonders if he would also elide over who did the coding if it had been done by someone identifying as male.

3clips3 wrote: »
    I hate to think the worst of Intern but one wonders if he would also elide over who did the coding if it had been done by someone identifying as male.

oh in this case I think he genuinely just doesn't know. We gave him a package that basically worked and he doesn't have either the coding background or innate curiosity to dig into exactly what part of the information was coming from where, so under direct questioning he took a wild swing.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I wouldn't necessarily assume that unless I had further reason to or there was a pattern of it

Interns make mistakes, after all

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

oh in this case I think he genuinely just doesn't know. We gave him a package that basically worked and he doesn't have either the coding background or innate curiosity to dig into exactly what part of the information was coming from where, so under direct questioning he took a wild swing.

I am always surprised at folks unwillingness to just say “I don’t know the answer to that in the moment, but I will find out and follow up with you as soon as I am able.”

Stated earnestly and honestly always worked for me just fine.

I am always surprised at folks unwillingness to just say “I don’t know the answer to that in the moment, but I will find out and follow up with you as soon as I am able.”

We do kind of beat that out of children in school. Loads of teachers excoriate children for not knowing answers - even through college we do this. It sucks!

I think fear of appearing ignorant is something a lot of people have to unlearn. And if you're a fast and smart kid in your early 20s you've probably gotten by for a lot of your life by making uninformed but educated guesses. The latter is definitely something we've already had to work on with this guy - whenever he was writing up his results if he didn't understand something he would just make assumptions and present them as fact and it's like, no, you can't science like that. You actually have to know.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

We do kind of beat that out of children in school. Loads of teachers excoriate children for not knowing answers - even through college we do this. It sucks!

It’s the worst. One of my favorite things was when a student asked me a question and I didn’t know the answer. I’d tell them I didn’t know either but I’d tell them where to research and ask them to explain what they find to me later.

Watching them go from flabbergasted that an adult didn’t know a thing, to lighting up that they get to teach the teacher was always fun to watch.

I don’t miss most of being a teacher but, I do miss somethings.

Inquisitor on
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Can’t do good science without understanding your known unknowns, and having the right frame of mind to discover and resolve unknown unknowns.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

That's how I've been told to answer such questions at my last couple of jobs.