As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Architecture, Landscape Design, and Interior Design!

1555657585961»

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The clutter is also v bad

It seems like it's become the storage room simply because nobody wanted to use it aymore.

BahamutZEROCaptain Inertia
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    The idea that my own face would be the first thing I see when I opened my eyes in the morning is frankly traumatic

tynicJedocKrieghundpainfulPleasance
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I’d be more worried about an infinitely-reflected butthole

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah like, I've covered a lot of bedrooms in mirrors before (to various degrees of actual usefulness/visibility, admittedly - I like oddly shaped/sized mirrors a bunch)

Most of my concerns with that one have less to do with seeing my own reflection and more to do with the reflection of light and shadow

That place is going to light up at the absolute crack of dawn, and at night any movement is going to refract through the place as a dozen creepy shadows

Heh, crack

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    RCmKIvs.gif
    indie_winter on PS4 | 3034-4093-8537 on Switch
    KwoaruSleep
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Thanks, I hate it. XD
    Am I the only one with a vehement distaste for suburban curves? They look kinda neat from an airplane but the functionality is just so bad.

statlerDonovan PuppyfuckerBahamutZERODouglasDangerCalicaTynnanpainfulPleasanceDoodmann
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah that's shithouse in multiple ways!

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Suburbs aren't really meant to be functional so much as pleasing to the eye. Between hedges you can't see past to make a turn, speed bumps, and general poor layouts, they are not designed to do anything well.

StraightziGvzbgulCalicapainfulPleasanceDoodmann
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

how much would it take to rebuild something like this, realistically

are we talking bezos &co only or is it something you can kickstart

RCmKIvs.gif
    edited December 2020
    Basically how can we start a campaign to crowdfund a french chateau for ourselves

edit: nevermind, some people already did this exact thing for this exact place back in 2017

Indie Winter on
    RCmKIvs.gif
    Captain Inertia
    edited December 2020

To do it right, so that the end result is of the very highest quality and the castle will last for hundreds more years?

Likely tens of millions of dollars.

So, not realy a good idea for anyone outside of the billionaire "or soon to be" class.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    Icemopper
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    epq6d7vzrgym.jpg
    Saw this on reddit
    I can't stop looking at this nightmare. It's like a variation of the devil's tuning fork made into reality.

bowenCaptain Inertia
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I would very happily spend the rest of my life fixing up that castle

(the actual castle, not the shack with the wrong sided door)

Xaquin wrote: »
    I would very happily spend the rest of my life fixing up that castle

(the actual castle, not the shack with the wrong sided door)

Don’t forget the horror that is that narrow window next to it

I do like the ferns and mature rhododendrons though

Xaquin
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister Registered User regular

To do it right, so that the end result is of the very highest quality and the castle will last for hundreds more years?

Likely tens of millions of dollars.

So, not realy a good idea for anyone outside of the billionaire "or soon to be" class.

And given that this is a historic home I'd bet there's likely to be additional construction regulations and stuff, especially since the French are so serious about their cultural heritage*

*White culture only plz hon hon baguette

BahamutZERO
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist screaming Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    epq6d7vzrgym.jpg
    Saw this on reddit

That's gotta be a SCP.

• IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Mmm I like that. Using the earth as a casting mold and then using different dyes to color the layers. That's a keeper.

• FishmanFishman Sugar and Tea and Rum Registered User regular
    edited February 8
    Chengdu's new stations for their new metro line look more like the set of far-future sci-fi epic.

UPOvCqKh.jpg

V2FZYNkh.jpg

6y6XHQqh.jpg

More here:
    https://www.dezeen.com/2021/02/01/line-9-chengdu-metro-ja-sepenta-design-station-interiors/

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    JedocXaquinIcemopperSkeithschusssponotynicSleepKwoaruDessertedCalicaMeeqeBahamutZEROArcticLancerPeasMechMantisbowen
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    Oh my god that is way too bright. That would make me snowblind.

TynnanIcemopperDouglasDanger
  • JedocJedoc Bringing the past to life so we can beat it to death with a shovelRegistered User regular
    You can always use the presumably spacious ventilation vents to get around.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    FishmanBroloCaptain InertiaDisruptedCapitalist
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

I feel like the yellow vent highlight will be hard to see in the visual dazzle. They ought to adjust the contrast for better accessibility.

edited February 8
    Jedoc wrote: »

Especially when the jewel on your hand starts blinking

Captain Inertia on
    Fishman
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Oh my god that is way too bright. That would make me snowblind.

We've definitely got a problem in architecture of making certain places too bright, and plenty of it is due to building codes, having a required luminance in the room and whatnot. So now with a relatively recent office renovation, my desk is blasted with the brightest white the lighting manufacturer could find. This kind of overhead lighting is wasted in an office where people work on computers or their own desks, so all I really want is dim overhead lights and a task light on my desk.

This metro station definitely looks on the bright side, and I'm sure there was a lengthy discussion about making sure an underground station is well lit for safety and navigation reasons. I think it does make more sense if you're not planning on being in the space for very long and are specifically trying to navigate, but in terms of futuristic space stations, I'd prefer it look more like Deep Space 9.

• MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    Lighting design is hard, but rewarding. I'm doing a design internship for an electrical engineering firm, and on some jobs the architect handles lighting, sometimes we do.

Threading that needle of too much light, too little light and the regulatory space is a wild ride. I'm a rank novice and I'm blown away by some of the stuff that people manage to do with lighting. I've been lurking this thread for years because I liked the general aesthetic feel of stuff posted in this thread and like looking at pretty things, it was really useful that first day when I realized I'd stared at TONS of lighting setups over the years. Learning the why of what a designer is going for and seeing how they implement it is now occupying far, far too much of my brain.

The first time I got asked for celebratory parking lot lighting was a moment. Like, how do you even DO that? Got a good lesson on fixture selection :)

Icemopper
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I would expect it to look much more toned down with a few thousand people inside of it.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Judging the brightness by a photo doesn't really work anyway, I think. Even several of the pictures of the same areas in the station look quit different in brightness.
    Krieghund wrote: »
    I would expect it to look much more toned down with a few thousand people inside of it.

At least it'll help with all the reflections and glare from the floor.

I think the design is a bit busy in general though.

The rhombus elements with the rounded corner for ceilings have been pretty popular for a few years now I think.

tynicGvzbgul
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul I am silent and my silence is complicity. Registered User regular
    Some graffiti would probably help.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    No more palms for Miami Beach!

Well at least less palm. Miami beach has a new urban forestry plan which I thought was interesting.
    It's bit of a deep dive with 170 pages:
    http://www.mbrisingabove.com/wp-content/uploads/2020-CMB-UFMP-Final-compressed.pdf

Baically palms are a bit shit at dealing with the climate change and Miami Beach plans to increase the number of shade spending trees that can also deal with the climate. Like native live oaks for example.

CalicaXaquinJedocDoodmannDessertedtynicQuantumTurkSkeith
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Why Saudi Arabia Is Building a Linear City 15:20

In January of this year, Saudi Arabia announced an immense new development project, that is supposed to set a blueprint for the future of the country and the world. The country will build a city, that stretches along a single 100 mile long line

It took me a while to build up the courage to watch that, just the title alone seems dystopian, but I'm glad you shared it. It had a lot of political information that was good to understand for background. What worried me about a city that is a long road is the cities in my mind that are that already, like much of Florida, it just seems like a single long strip of one road with the same thing every now and then. This proposal, though, looks like it is trying to take the car out of the equation as much as possible, which I like. What I don't like, or what worries me, is how reliant someone might have to be on the ultra-high speed underground rail system to get to essential services. I'm also concerned about how a feeling of "community" is built across something that massive, but I can't put that fear into words very well.

In any case, thanks for sharing!

DoodmannPeas
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    How to Turn Sea Water Into Fresh Water Without Pollution 8:59

“The Line” is Saudi Arabia’s bold vision for the future of civilization: an ultra-modern city designed to house 1 million people and be entirely pollution-free.

But there’s one problem – it’s in the middle of the desert. And cities require a lot of water.

Enter the Solar Dome, a new desalination system built on existing technology. It’s supposed to be a low-cost, efficient, and carbon-neutral way of turning saltwater into fresh water. With water scarcity already threatening the Middle East, Saudi Arabia is the world leader in desalination, but the process does pose problems. We take a closer look at the environmental costs of desalination, and how new innovation like the Solar Dome is trying to tackle these issues.

It's a sequel to the previous video