As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yakuza: Like a Thread

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    Apparently I've been taking the kappa photos by hitting the screenshot button on my playstation instead of using Kasuga's smartphone. Cool.

It's a bit specific about those Kappa pictures, you'll have to get in position with the camera so an on screen prompt appears.

• Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    Maximum wrote: »
    Chapter 12 in LAD...

I need 3 million yen, and after 11 chapters I barely have half that. Any suggestions for making money beyond the management mini game, I'm not touching that thing yet. Found the circus side stories and those netted me a bunch, but I'm still not even close.

Yes, the management mini game

You should absolutely do the management stuff as soon as you can.
    You get SO MUCH MONEY.

It's kinda weird how the main story presents 3 million as a huge amount of money, when you get that just for showing up to the office.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I've made it through the first two but chunks of the management game (just hit rank 50) and it doesn't seem to be paying out that much? All the business money stays in the business, and I'm just getting a couple hundred thousand from the shareholder meetings

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I've made it through the first two but chunks of the management game (just hit rank 50) and it doesn't seem to be paying out that much? All the business money stays in the business, and I'm just getting a couple hundred thousand from the shareholder meetings

Once you get to the end it becomes "hold down button and receive payday" since you don't have goals or anything to ever need to change.

Which is super boring but also a very simple way of guaranteeing a few stacks of cash whenever you may need.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I think the only sub stories I’ve got left at this point are the Mario karts and I dunno how much I wanna do those.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular

Once you get to the end it becomes "hold done button and receive payday" since you don't have goals or anything to ever need to change.

Which is super boring but also a very simple way of guaranteeing a few stacks of cash whenever you may need.

I think at the end you can pull like a million or so a round?

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I think the only sub stories I’ve got left at this point are the Mario karts and I dunno how much I wanna do those.

I actually think never got the last part of the chain to trigger and pop up on the map after seemingly exhausting all other substories I could before the end of the game (go back and finish side stuff is on my to do list but backlog big)

if someone wants to spoiler post what I missed or who I didn't talk to that would be handy
    I did the cutscene where the last rival introduces himself and then fucks off somewhere and I never heard from him again

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

I actually think never got the last part of the chain to trigger and pop up on the map after seemingly exhausting all other substories I could before the end of the game (go back and finish side stuff is on my to do list but backlog big)

if someone wants to spoiler post what I missed or who I didn't talk to that would be handy
    I did the cutscene where the last rival introduces himself and then fucks off somewhere and I never heard from him again

I'm not there yet but I looked it up since I don't mind spoiling myself on that
    Starting from Chapter 15 there's no substory marker but there's a guy on a bench you need to talk to near Dragon Fighter.

• Options
    Mysst wrote: »

Once you get to the end it becomes "hold done button and receive payday" since you don't have goals or anything to ever need to change.

I think at the end you can pull like a million or so a round?

It's 3 million

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Yeah, the business quest definitely clashes with the story, but I won't say no to a "Money, please" button

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Also the commercials are fucking wonderful.

• Options
    it also has relevant rewards for participating and finishing it so... just do it lol

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    never die wrote: »
    Also the commercials are fucking wonderful.

I think I've only seen one type of commercial, are there more?

• Options
    Oof.
    I hit a bit of a brick wall late in chapter 14. There's a familiar face as a boss.
    So now I'm grinding through the battle arena and management to get all the weapon upgrades I can.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Ivar wrote: »
    Oof.
    I hit a bit of a brick wall late in chapter 14. There's a familiar face as a boss.
    So now I'm grinding through the battle arena and management to get all the weapon upgrades I can.

Protip in spoiler (boss' identity inside spoiler)
    Nagoshi, in an interview late last year, said that Kiryu wouldn't be in a fighting game because Kiryu wouldn't hit a woman.

This facet of Kiryu's personality is absolutely in play in that fight. Use that information for your party makeup as you will

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    i didn't notice that detail actually, I just brute force'd it

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    There's an entire Final Fantasy Tactics "send out people on quests to get items for you" subgame in Yakuza Zero?!?!

This is crazy.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    There's an entire Final Fantasy Tactics "send out people on quests to get items for you" subgame in Yakuza Zero?!?!

This is crazy.

It's wild how expensive and tedious that subgame is, especially considering how weapons just... Aren't very useful

• Options

This is crazy.

Buckle up, there’s a wilder one around the corner.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

This is crazy.

It's wild how expensive and tedious that subgame is, especially considering how weapons just... Aren't very useful

Ohhh man that's super disappointing. I was having a great time reading about these colorful agents you can send all over the place.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. On paper that mini-game sounds fun but in actuality its far too clunky and you won't be using it much.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah. On paper that mini-game sounds fun but in actuality its far too clunky and you won't be using it much.

I only engaged with it at all because I was chasing the Platinum, and getting that chunk done was the second-most tedious task in that endeavor, behind only the godawful catfight club

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    If only every minigame was as good as Pocket Circuit.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I finally got around to finishing up Like a Dragon today. Decided not to grind through all the optional dungeons or the kart racing.

Enjoyed it quite a bit. Still obviously some mechanical things they gotta work on in the next one, but I'm interested to see where they take the series from here. Ichiban was a great protagonist.

rhylith on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Eagerly awaiting some news about what comes next for this studio.

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    God, I love Y5.

Yakuza 0 is still probably my favorite, but one's first love often burns brightest. Y5 really gives it a run for the money, though.

At this point it's just perspective for me. Yakuza 0 has undeniably the best singular moments of the entire series; if you had to sell eight games with only five minutes of footage, you show Nugget and it's not even close. Yakuza 5 is simply the most enjoyable experience overall, because even all the subquest stuff never drags like Yakuza 0 did. Hunting and taxis and danceoffs are all infinitely less frustrating and dragging than the business and hostess manager stuff.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    New teaser site, counting down to "JUDGMENT DAY" on May 7th: https://ryu-ga-gotoku.com/20210507/enus/

so we're getting a Judgment sequel next

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    PS5 and Series X versions of Judgement are out today.

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    Oh my god Yakuza 5 if the remainder of this game is just Akiyama and Haruka solving mysteries I will be okay with that

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Hmm...now that I think about it I wouldn't mind of Judgement was closer to the classic action style of Yakuza while Yakuza went turn-based.

And they just alternated titles.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    New teaser site, counting down to "JUDGMENT DAY" on May 7th: https://ryu-ga-gotoku.com/20210507/enus/

so we're getting a Judgment sequel next

Or a Binary Domain sequel.

ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    Hmm...now that I think about it I wouldn't mind of Judgement was closer to the classic action style of Yakuza while Yakuza went turn-based.

Having not played a single second of Judgement, is it a similar game in tone? Reading the wikipedia article about it I get the vibe it has a more serious tone but is in the same place with the same engine.

• Options

Having not played a single second of Judgement, is it a similar game in tone? Reading the wikipedia article about it I get the vibe it has a more serious tone but is in the same place with the same engine.

Kinda. But you play from the perspective of a detective/ex-lawyer rather than a ex-Yakuza so there are some differences.

But it very much has the same crime soap opera feel.

• Options
    edited April 2021

It does have a slightly more serious tone

But it also has stuff like (spoiled for image sizes)
    l8c9solbalyw.jpg
    and
    a8q9otgtap1f.jpg

It also has my third favorite climax-through-to-ending sequence of the entire Studio RGG catalog.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    judgment had a great story if I remember right

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I like judgements story, I just didn't really care for Yagami

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    judgment had a great story if I remember right

It's the most coherent plot of any of the games, and it has a surprising amount of grounded pathos and weight. It's really, really good, and one of a VERY small number of video games that really gets noir beyond the aesthetic trappings

• Options
    EvilCakeEvilCake Richmond VARegistered User regular
    gimme Judgement on pc

This discussion has been closed.