As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Take some [photos] and show me them

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    There are more pictures on the news site from more angles that just raise further questions. It's not a 'shop.

https://www.fox13news.com/news/photos-car-pierced-by-utility-pole-on-w-sligh-avenue

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yo what the fuck

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Only reasonable explanation I can come up with is hitting something, and bouncing (or being knocked) into the pole in some weird angle that the impact point is being obscured

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    the article is from what appears to be a legit local news site, and they claim authorship of several of the photos, if it's a hoax they got bamboozled something fierce

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Perhaps the car hit a rotted-out utility pole, smashed the front end as shown and knocked out the rotted base while leaving the top floating there looney tunes style, which then plunged through the windshield as the car came to stop underneath it?

I'd assume it bounced into the pole weird except the pole puncturing the windshield so perfectly plus the power lines still being intact at the top makes it look like there's no other way it could have entered the car but from the top

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Perhaps the car hit a rotted-out utility pole, smashed the front end as shown and knocked out the rotted base while leaving the top floating there looney tunes style, which then plunged through the windshield as the car came to stop underneath it?

Interesting hypothesis that would explain things better than anything I was thinking of.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    It looks like the cables are still attached at the top, so I'm hypothesising that the car hit the pole, the pole snapped at the point of impact near the base, but the tension on the wires at the top held the pole upright (metal cables can be strong), so the pole swung up as the car travelled beneath it and when the pole swung back it struck the windscreen and peirced down.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    If the conditions Are right then the lines can def hold up a partial pole, I've seen it myself.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    In the night pictures, on the passenger side photos I think you can see the bottom half of the power pole laying on the ground, and the car is resting on it. So yea, snapped the pole, top half bounced off (and would account for the front end damage to the car), the car became stuck on the bottom half and then the top pole came back down and pierced the windshield.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I was looking back on my last several posts in this thread, and yeah we don't have color here.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    I was looking back on my last several posts in this thread, and yeah we don't have color here.

Weaver be all like
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4fmkmDDAUU

• Options
    I have a real feeling of guilt about my photos. I don't have special equipment or have any real training. I go places, and sometimes I see things and try to catch what I see. Lots of times I find things I missed with my eyes! Like that creepy lake pic? I was expecting it to be a sunny view across the lake but the weather shifted. People in my life are constantly praising me and I'm just a lucky fool.

• Options
    bm9oniqnbiv8.jpg

• Options
    well it helps the PNW is freaking gorgeous but your sense of shot framing is pretty good, half of taking good pictures is just taking pictures at all and picking out the good ones to share too.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DI9Lric.jpg

• Options
    yb8g5f5wjmqb.jpg
    meik66l0uf96.jpg

a couple of damp ravens hangin' out

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I think I've posted pictures of these bluffs before but they're real pretty.

yu2rk81grp9r.jpg

j5yvtutpa6ax.jpg

k6jbgx2c45qw.jpg

itsrh3fylvu8.jpg

ot73c1os68kk.jpg

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Those are really nice bluffs.

• Options
    Gonna dig into one of my favorite old photo shares,

mDGNakB.jpg
    kPxjj0x.jpg

The same same ducks in the same spot a year apart.

• Options
    Never shared this one,

x59u57M.jpg

• Options
    is that a mountain lake or an inland bay? the water color is beautiful

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Lake Wenatchee

• Options
    That picture is from a couple years ago, it's only like a three hour drive from home but currently I'm wanting to wait till late spring and then go to hurricane ridge.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    This was a doll my mum had about 50 years ago when she was a child:

fmbvkd5s1kzx.jpeg

Currently lives in my parents Garage.

Their dogs bark at it anytime they see it, not surprising really.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Yeah... my mom gave me her precious doll when she moved into a retirement home. The thing is porcelain and mounted in a protective case. Or course my fucking cat knocked it off it's table a while back and it broke the eyes (which were mounted on swivels to open/close). Now it's just staring at me with it's soulless eyes saying "YOUR MOTHER TRUSTED YOU TO KEEP ME SAFE" every time I pass by it.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Thanks SharpyVII, now I'm going to have nightmares for the rest of my days.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    You've been having nightmares about that specific doll your entire life. Everybody has. At least now you know the source.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    You've been having nightmares about that specific doll your entire life. Everybody has. At least now you know the source.

The doll stays the same age, but we all get older. Makes you wonder.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Yeah... my mom gave me her precious doll when she moved into a retirement home. The thing is porcelain and mounted in a protective case. Or course my fucking cat knocked it off it's table a while back and it broke the eyes (which were mounted on swivels to open/close). Now it's just staring at me with it's soulless eyes saying "YOUR MOTHER TRUSTED YOU TO KEEP ME SAFE" every time I pass by it.

Found a replacement part for you.

cyp97ds1myvd.jpg

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh here is photo thread

I have some shots from recent kayaking ventures. Not many, because taking out your phone in the middle of a lake or ocean always strikes me as a fools errand.

plrsdai5nklm.jpg
    ep7wvhtihn46.jpg
    pdoz4ad9ppp0.jpg

• Options
    Daaaaaang that cave!!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Found the thread, leave me here
    aoawgilc60q1.jpg

• Options
    Who wants night photos of a thunderstorm rolling up the Whanganui river?

DkemoH9.jpg

NQ6zuTj.jpg

iuE6UBk.jpg

I took these photos when we went to Tongariro National Park for our anniversary a while back. Photos taken near Raetihi where the Whanganui river is joined by tributaries from the western side of Ruapehu volcano.
    Hopefully should have some pics from the crossing soon, too.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    We walked the Tongariro Crossing back when we were in NZ, it was a good hike:

nXPxFXC.jpg
    JTh9G6z.jpg
    HeKF5FJ.jpg
    79kCYIU.jpg

(edit: tweaked contrast a bit, the originals are just scans from photos so needed some help)

djmitchella on
  • Options
    Earth is so fucking beautiful T_T

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Went hiking with my wife today at Koosah and Sahalie Falls in the Cascade Range of Oregon. Not a long hike, we only did about a mile and a half of a 3 mile hike. Still a great way to spend a morning.

Koosah
    01in8cx8u7mf.jpg

Sahalie
    yp5e6kks0esj.jpg

Stream
    gga2f1ssga35.jpg

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    bless this thread and all y'all with cameras

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have any advice for framing? Staging? Layout? Pictures shot with my pixel 3a for Instagram, I guess?

I'm getting some goofy looking pics when I crop them for the insta square

I know natural lighting is best

Is the term for what I need to study "composition?"

• Options
    Does anyone have any advice for framing? Staging? Layout? Pictures shot with my pixel 3a for Instagram, I guess?

I'm getting some goofy looking pics when I crop them for the insta square

I know natural lighting is best

Is the term for what I need to study "composition?"

Yes.