As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

They advanced the PLOT?! Warhammer 40k casual lore

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Grudge wrote: »
    Yeah, that's an awesome model. I still think they should bring back the Space Slann - Mayan-style psychic sci-fi lizards would be amazing. Chameleon Skinks with poison-needle guns and Kroxigor with heavy solar beam lazors. I'd 100% totally would buy that army in an instant.

In accordance with the old ones' plans.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Grudge wrote: »
    Yeah, that's an awesome model. I still think they should bring back the Space Slann - Mayan-style psychic sci-fi lizards would be amazing. Chameleon Skinks with poison-needle guns and Kroxigor with heavy solar beam lazors. I'd 100% totally would buy that army in an instant.

In accordance with the old ones' plans.

88a91oefgwml.jpg

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    So what's the deal with Jesus Christ in 40k, if some immortal wanderer entity thought he was legit there must be something to it right, wheres Battle Jesus

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    So what's the deal with Jesus Christ in 40k, if some immortal wanderer entity thought he was legit there must be something to it right, wheres Battle Jesus

There's speculation that he became Big E.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I have heard more about atheism in 40k as how many races/armies don't follow a religion or fumbling to make up a religion [Imperial Faith}

I know it's based upon Milton’s Paradise Lost {imperial faith being that view point of christianity}

Brainleech on
    So this Pious guy is a devout Catholic but knew Jesus before he was Jesus and that the whole immaculate conception didn't happen because Jesus was some sort of immortal wanderer entity

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    despite being a devoute catholic, pious was actually just somewhere else at the time of jesus, and just didn't hear about it for a while

edited April 2021
    So this guy is born in like 15000BCE and the only faith that tickles his fancy is Catholicism and he lives an additional 40000 years and nothing else ever does it for him, that really makes me think theres something to it, wheres Battle Jesus

Hobnail on

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    that's just what catholicism does to a dude

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    So this guy is born in like 15000BCE and the only faith that tickles his fancy is Catholicism and he lives an additional 40000 years and nothing else ever does it for him, that really makes me think theres something to it, wheres Battle Jesus

Sitting on the Golden Throne, I suspect

Twitch: Thawmus83
    So this guy is a devout Catholic but doesnt go in for the whole fuckin Mary and Joseph in the manger n shit everybody fuckin goes on about in December

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Technically he's "Catheric," a descendant of Catholicism. I'm not able to find via the Interwebs what the actual differences are.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Technically he's "Catheric," a descendant of Catholicism. I'm not able to find via the Interwebs what the actual differences are.

It’s just an accent thing.
    bqbalxzku45q.png

edited April 2021
    The current Vicar of Christ is relatively easygoing but I think he would indeed insist that this man is a "Catheric", whatever that is

Hobnail on

Anyway

Eye-Bp-BDXMAw-CAz.jpg

Anyway

Eye-Bp-BDXMAw-CAz.jpg

Why hello there

This is now the Eliphas Apprectaion Thread

https://youtu.be/lRlYSE6kWAg

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I recall reading something that said the Emperor was not Jesus but was involved.

edited April 2021
    Just like, there, aloof but cool about it like some real sigma male shit

Hobnail on

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    big e either was or had some hand in every major religious figure throughout history
    the canon implies but never specifies

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    The Council of Nicaea in WH40K was just an intervention to say Magnus was a huge nerd who needed to go outside more.

Fuck off and die.
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Jesus wasn’t nearly enough of a fascist to have been the Emperor

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    The Council of Nicaea in WH40K was just an intervention to say Magnus was a huge nerd who needed to go outside more.

Please, it's the legally distinct "Council of Nikaea"

Not to be confused with any other similarly named council

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Jesus wasn’t nearly enough of a fascist to have been the Emperor

What changes the nature of a man?

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Daemons, mostly

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    The Emperor is Plato. Sufficiently fascist. Ready to rip away people's long held illusions against their own desires, but for their own and collective good. Is fucked over by his way cooler followers.

Picked up later as the philosophical foundation for a weird religion in a society that would disgust him.

Angron is Thrasymachus.

This tracks. We're done. We solved the Warhammers.

Fuck off and die.
  • MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    The Emperor is Plato. Sufficiently fascist. Ready to rip away people's long held illusions against their own desires, but for their own and collective good. Is fucked over by his way cooler followers.

Picked up later as the philosophical foundation for a weird religion in a society that would disgust him.

Angron is Thrasymachus.

Angron is very explicitly Spartacus. Kurze is Thrasymachus.

uH3IcEi.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Angron is very explicitly Spartacus.
    I would do a minor caveat on this and say that Alpharius/Omegon are Spartacus but only specifically in that movie scene where everyone's Spartacus.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Alpha Legion is probably my favorite, their lore is great and the whole “Who’s the real Alpharius/Omegon” shell game is like my favorite dumb mystery on the whole lore.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    No, no.

I'm Spartacus.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Spartacus? now that's a name I've not heard in a long time.
    JLbmw4M.jpg

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It's been posted before probably but The Infinite And The Divine is a pretty good book. Like pretty much all the 40k books the battle parts that tie it to the actual game are not that interesting and drop way too many names from the tabletop. But the rest is really good. Mostly because of the interaction between the grumpy old couple that are Trazyn and Orikan and their toxic relationship.

It also does a good job delving a bit into necron history and society. And it's surprisingly non grim dark, I would say and the necron focus gives it a pretty unique viewpoint on the history of the the 40k timeline. If you took out the 4ok references it would still be a very fun sci fi romp.

Seems like the author is a good fit for writing a historian as one of the main characters.

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    This is now the Eliphas Apprectaion Thread

https://youtu.be/lRlYSE6kWAg
    "Fear the taint!" just made me swallow water wrong and now I'm in pain and coughing but it was worth it.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    Tonkka wrote: »
    "Fear the taint!" just made me swallow water wrong and now I'm in pain and coughing but it was worth it.
    Go now... and spread the TAINT as I have shown you.

Angron is Thrasymachus.

You're not supposed to solve Warhammers, Master Ebel! You're supposed to swing them around!

Like a giant fish!
    No, no.

I'm Spartacus.

Apparently in Total Warhammer 2 there's a Sporctacus.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Omegon is hunting Cypher. Boom story hook.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Time it before Roboute waking up, tie it into the end of the Sabbat worlds crusade, false sense of imperial security, unexpected enemy/ally isn't the Necron but instead Exodites.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular

The council of Nicaea is prime example of:

all the "supermen" are fucking idiots and can't see a blatant manipulation by chaos

Magnus is still a fucking nerd though.

Sanguinius was the cool psyker.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Sanguinius was the cool [...] applies to pretty much everything canonically and in-universe is probably the only thing everyone agrees on.

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Sanguinius was the cool [...] applies to pretty much everything canonically and in-universe is probably the only thing everyone agrees on.

Horus being made Warmaster over Sanguinius is, frankly, completely bizarre. Not like Sanguinius had beef with anyone.

I guess it's possible Big E knew about the geneseed instability, but still.

uH3IcEi.png
This discussion has been closed.