As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gaming podcasts

• Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    The golden era of 1upYours has passed (Luke, John, Shane and Garnett)

its now really mediocre. the only redeeming thing about it is Im sad to say The Bettenhausen.

Plus garnett is becoming more and more drunk on mic and the stage where that was funny has passed and its now awful to listen to.

I totally agree. I could definitely do without Garnett. Too bad it's his show.

I'm also not a fan of Bryan Intihar's addition to the crew. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think he brings anything new to the group (other than a love for sports games). It seems like he just goes along with Shane and Garnett, more than anything else. I'd much rather have someone from the GFW Podcast, either Jeff Green, or better yet, Shawn Elliott. They're so much more knowledgeable and insightful about the industry, even though they goof off a lot in their own podcast.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    JCRooks wrote: »
    I'm also not a fan of Bryan Intihar's addition to the crew. Maybe it's just me.
    It really isn't. It sounds really callous to say, but I'm glad he wasn't on last week - I'm a big fan of Dan Hsu's manner.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Bryan I don't have a problem with, but yeah, Shoe as a regular would be great.

Also this thread reminded me to check out The Platformers again, I haven't in months.

bruin on
  • Options
    Mr ExplodyMr Explody Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Extra Life Radio - One of the best podcasts on the internet IMO. Everything geek related, including Games, TV, Movies, books sometimes, etc...

Mr Explody on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    bruin wrote: »
    Bryan I don't have a problem with, but yeah, Shoe as a regular would be great.

Also this thread reminded me to check out The Platformers again, I haven't in months.

Im not so sure. The thing that 1upY really lost when Luke Smith left was a little bit of pace and energy. I think Brian brings that. The only problem is that I get the impression that there is no 'mediator' anymore without John Davison. Calling Shane out for his bullshit and stopping ridiculous tantrums between Garnett and the guests was his duty and now without him 1upY is totally unruly. Plus he was English.

Basically this is me continuing the year long 'Jeff Green for chair 04' campaign. Though that would put Jeff on like 4 1up podcasts. And that would be his entire work day.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    I'm also not a fan of Bryan Intihar's addition to the crew. Maybe it's just me.
    It really isn't. It sounds really callous to say, but I'm glad he wasn't on last week - I'm a big fan of Dan Hsu's manner.

Yeah, I'm a fan of Dan Hsu as well. I also like Jennifer Tsao, on the EGM Podcast. Most of the gaming podcasts are dominated by guys, so hearing a female perspective of things (and from a mom too!) is refreshing. Maybe I'm just getting old and cynical, but I'm tired of folks like Shane or Bryan bragging about the secret games they've gotten to play, or the events/parties they go to, and more interested in some of the "daily life" and industry-related discussions that I get from Dan, Jennifer, Shawn, and Jeff Green.

JCRooks on

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If 1UP Yours gets a fourth chair I'd prefer if it were either Simon or Andrew (Skip). Jeff Green is great but he's already on enough podcasts as it is. I'm not a fan of Shoe at all though, maybe it's because he always seems to be trying to talk about Halo ("hey guys! Bungie just released DLC for Halo 3! Let's have a 20 minute discussion about it!"). Ugh.

Oh and I think Bryan was a great addition to the team.

JCRooks: You're crazy. While I don't dislike Jen, I still think she's one of the reasons EGM Live sucks.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    If 1UP Yours gets a fourth chair I'd prefer if it were either Simon or Andrew (Skip). Jeff Green is great but he's already on enough podcasts as it is. I'm not a fan of Shoe at all though, maybe it's because he always seems to be trying to talk about Halo ("hey guys! Bungie just released DLC for Halo 3! Let's have a 20 minute discussion about it!"). Ugh.

Oh and I think Bryan was a great addition to the team.

JCRooks: You're crazy. While I don't dislike Jen, I still think she's one of the reasons EGM Live sucks.

Yeah, our tastes are rather different. :)

I actually think Hsu/Shoe's interest in Halo 3 is a normal, or even good, thing. The "in-thing" for gamers and critics seems to be to hate on Halo, just because it's so popular and mainstream. It's like you aren't taken seriously on forums if you like that game. Sure, forget the fact that millions of gamers do like it and couldn't care less about what the gaming "elitists" think about it.

Sometimes it seems like Dan Hsu is the only guy that likes the game, which is odd considering just how popular the game is with the masses. A 20-minute conversation about it's DLC seems absolutely normal and expected, seeing how popular the game is. Heck, they've spent just as much time talking about Bioshock, Portal, and other notable/popular titles too, and I don't see people complaining.

I should point out that while I enjoyed Halo 3, I'm not a huge fan of it either (I did campaign mode and that's it). Nor did I really care about the DLC. But Hsu's interest in that title seems completely expected to me. After all, I can't expect them to only cover titles that I'm 100% interested in, and naturally they're going to focus a lot of attention on popular games.

As for Jennifer, I can definitely see a lot of gamers here wouldn't like her. She's not as energetic as some of the other folks (like Donahoe or Intihar). But that difference is what I think is refreshing. She's much more casual-focused too. If it was a podcast with only Jennifer? Yeah, I'd agree that it'd be rather boring. But I think she's fine with the EGM crew, especially in terms of keeping them grounded.

JCRooks on

• Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    http://www.cagcast.com

A little rough and ready, but I fully enjoy it.

Other than that, I second GFW Radio and 1UP Yours, but the latter has gone downhill dramatically after Luke and John left.

CAG Cast is great. There is something wonderful about hearing poop stories from a 6ft+ tall bald white man who lives in Japan.

GFW is also really good and comes out on a nice regular basis.

The Joystiq one is decent as well but they need to fire Justin Macelroy. ;-)

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    After having listened to an episode today in my daily commute, I like the Joystiq podcast too.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Aphostile wrote: »
    After having listened to an episode today in my daily commute, I like the Joystiq podcast too.

Hmm, I'm surprised. I'll have to give that one a try. Is it that podcast, or the 360 Fanboy podcast that has Knuckles Dawson on it? Because I think I would need to stab myself in the ears before listening to that guy ramble.

Aoi on
  • Options
    Smarmy LechSmarmy Lech Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Going to have to agree with all the people that already said GFW radio. It really is the most evenhanded gaming podcast I've listened to, and is genuinely entertaining even for those that aren't into PC gaming.

Most of the other 1up podcasts are also fantastic, the exceptions being EGM Live (which is just awful) and 1UP Yours, which has steadily declined in quality over the past few months.

Smarmy Lech on
    Cottontail.png
  • Options
    The_DcipleThe_Dciple Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My only real big beef with 1up Yours for the last little bit is just how long it takes them to get through "What you've been playing?"

Really sucks to just hear four guys spout off the same stuff week are week for an hour and then realize they don't have enough time to do the whole second segment.

I miss Luke and John when they would just tell everyone else to shut up about the dumb tangents and arguments and move on.

The_Dciple on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited January 2008
    No ChatterBox mention yet?

Alon has hosted a bunch of stuff at PAX the passed few years.

bombardier on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Gaming Steve is always pretty good, he's back now after a long break.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Medispective is the only gaming podcast I listen to, mainly because I can't stand the voices of the participants in the 1up podcasts and I really can't stand scripted podcasts. Medispective is only slightly more structured than SModcast (which is to say hardly structured) and discusses video games, music and movies from a middle-class perspective. The cast consists of a computer programmer, a truck driver, a construction worker, and a local music promoter. Needless to say, hilarity ensues.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Aoi wrote: »
    Aphostile wrote: »

Hmm, I'm surprised. I'll have to give that one a try. Is it that podcast, or the 360 Fanboy podcast that has Knuckles Dawson on it? Because I think I would need to stab myself in the ears before listening to that guy ramble.

Having only listened to that one episode, the mega64 one, I can not honestly say. There was no one named Knuckles Dawson in MY episode.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The brodeo is where its at (GFW podcast). Along with the 1up radio lineup for the mostpart.

Everytime I hear about adventures in griefing, I cant help but realize this person is the bane to everything that is the internet gaming, but the shenanigans are fucking hilarious I cant stop bursting out laughing in the middle of work.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The brodeo is where its at (GFW podcast). Along with the 1up radio lineup for the mostpart.

Everytime I hear about adventures in griefing, I cant help but realize this person is the bane to everything that is the internet gaming, but the shenanigans are fucking hilarious I cant stop bursting out laughing in the middle of work.

Shawn's recent adventures in Second Life was one of the most hilarious things I've heard in a long, long time.

JCRooks on

• Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Shawn's recent adventures in Second Life was one of the most hilarious things I've heard in a long, long time.

And we got two podcasts' worth of it too. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time (followed closely by our own Pheonix Games thread). Can't wait for them to revisit that again. Sounds like Shawn's getting addicted.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm one more for the 1UP Podcasts and Platformers.

I never really liked Luke Smith. He was a one-trick pony. He was probably hilarious to people who find 4chan and ytmnd funny, but for people with taste, his lolrape sense of humor was really annoying.

Bettenhausen is grating on me too lately. He's so dismissive and argumentative that it's a total drag to hear an interesting conversation start up, and then he just shuts everyone with his sarcasm.

But I still love the shows and listen to them every week! I guess they're doing something right.

Lukin on
    cancer.jpg
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    polaris314 wrote: »

And we got two podcasts' worth of it too. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time (followed closely by our own Pheonix Games thread). Can't wait for them to revisit that again. Sounds like Shawn's getting addicted.

The second life stuff was all kinds of hilarious.

Shawn's griefing is so wrong. So very wrong. I hate griefers but I just can't help but laugh at what he gets up to. Oh man the mental images that were conjured up by midget bowling alone. :lol:

Also, Ryan Scott needs to say something during those podcasts. Half the time you forget he's even there.

I'm starting to get into the habit of turning the sound off in some familiar action games and leaving Foobar on in the background playing some podcast. Good times.

EDIT: Speaking of which, this week's GFW is up:

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3148397

subedii on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    As for Jennifer, I can definitely see a lot of gamers here wouldn't like her. She's not as energetic as some of the other folks (like Donahoe or Intihar). But that difference is what I think is refreshing. She's much more casual-focused too. If it was a podcast with only Jennifer? Yeah, I'd agree that it'd be rather boring. But I think she's fine with the EGM crew, especially in terms of keeping them grounded.

I'm sorry, I've got nothing against Jennifer or her opinions, but she has the worst voice in radio ever. It's like a drill boring into your brain. I literally can't stand listening to her, and I feel bad about it, 'cause she seems like a nice person. EGM Live isn't that good to begin with, though, so I'm not too bothered by skipping it.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    DocabarDocabar Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    subedii wrote: »

Shawn's griefing is so wrong. So very wrong. I hate griefers but I just can't help but laugh at what he gets up to. Oh man the mental images that were conjured up by midget bowling alone. :lol:

Also, Ryan Scott needs to say something during those podcasts. Half the time you forget he's even there.

He talks alot in the Legendery Thread Podcast, and he talks alot more in GFW then he used to.

Docabar on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »

I'm sorry, I've got nothing against Jennifer or her opinions, but she has the worst voice in radio ever. It's like a drill boring into your brain. I literally can't stand listening to her, and I feel bad about it, 'cause she seems like a nice person. EGM Live isn't that good to begin with, though, so I'm not too bothered by skipping it.

I agree that EGM Live is the worst of the 1UP podcasts that I listen to (GFW, Legendary Thread, 1UP Yours, and EGM). That said, it's one saving grace is that it's produced in a very different format now (segments, versus bullshitting for 1+ hours), so it makes it stand out a bit.

As for Jennifer and her "radio voice", I agree. Then again, she wasn't hired to be a radio personality. :) None of the folks were. Ryan Scott is another example of a person who often doesn't say much (except in Legendary Thread) and has a bad radio voice. Yet, again, I personally find it nice to have varied people in these podcasts. If they were all filled with "radio DJ" personalities and voices, I think it loses some of its amateurish charm. (God, could you imagine a podcast filled with nothing but Garnett-like folks?) But that's just my opinion, since I really dig diversity.

JCRooks on

• Options
    edited January 2008
    Ryan Scott is another example of a person who often doesn't say much (except in Legendary Thread) and has a bad radio voice.

You're crazy, Ryan's voice is sultry.

Smarmy Lech on
    Cottontail.png
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ryan Scott is another example of a person who often doesn't say much (except in Legendary Thread) and has a bad radio voice.

You're crazy, Ryan's voice is sultry.

what the hell?

:)

I actually like both Jennifer Tsao's and Ryan Scott's voice, it's just a shame Ryan never bothers that much. I blame Mr Elliott.

Rook on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2008
    yeah, I'll mention 360Arcadians Live again. There have been some cast mixups over the year and change the podcast has been running, but there is now a rotating team of five folks, who bring a fairly entertaining look at what's going on in gaming news right now. They aren't entirely 360 focused either, so don't let the name fool ya. Massive gushing for Metroid Prime, Mario Galaxy, and the recent resurgence of the PSP has taken place on there as well.

There is a new podcast at 360a as well called Elite Arcadian Review Force. While maybe not as polished as 360a Live yet, they are dedicated to the show, and have been getting better every time I listen to them. They focus MOSTLY on reviewing games released across all platforms in the past week or so. It can be very entertaining, and is worth a listen.

Both of these shows update weekly right now.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Docabar wrote: »

He talks alot in the Legendery Thread Podcast, and he talks alot more in GFW then he used to.

He relapsed this week. When Shawn started talking about Battlefield you could practically hear him snoring.

Edit : Also, Shawn's griefing isn't really griefing, per se. He has defended it in the past by comparing it to the social pranking you'd see from the likes of Trigger Happy TV or similar shows. He looks at it more as entertainment than anything else. He's always said that if it really truly bothered somebody he would stop.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    polaris314 wrote: »
    Docabar wrote: »

He relapsed this week. When Shawn started talking about Battlefield you could practically hear him snoring.

Edit : Also, Shawn's griefing isn't really griefing, per se. He has defended it in the past by comparing it to the social pranking you'd see from the likes of Trigger Happy TV or similar shows. He looks at it more as entertainment than anything else. He's always said that if it really truly bothered somebody he would stop.

:lol:

He talked a few weeks ago about grabbing a transport in some game, and waited til it filled with team mates, then flew off, ramming into another team mate so they would (somehow) get a bunch of team kills from it. I can't see how that wouldn't have pissed someone off. Still fun to listen to though. It was a shame there was no new Second Life adventure this week. When he gets down to it though, he can talk through things really well too. He made Battlefield Heroes sound interesting.

Aoi on
  • Options
    PrePre Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    bombardier wrote: »
    No ChatterBox mention yet?

Alon has hosted a bunch of stuff at PAX the passed few years.

Yeah, it's the only non-1up podcast I listen to. It's quite good, and I strongly recommend that anyone looking for something fresh check it out.

Interesting tidbit: Chatterbox actually runs as a radio program in the Phoenix area and Alon just puts the broadcasts up as podcasts.

Pre on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I think 1UP Yours could benefit from Jeff as a regular. God knows he's got all sorts of other shit to do, but still - I enjoy his perspective.

But it was far better when it was the old guy, the fanboy, the madman and the Brit. :)

Yeah, the show has really been hurting since Luke left. He was a really funny guy, not to mention that he countered all of Shane's Sony-is-the-best-ever bullshit. John's departure hurt, too.

I second Jeff Green for fourth chair. Please, put someone who is entertaining and knows what the hell they're talking about on the show. I'm tired of Garnett's drunk rants, Shane's rampant Sony bias, and I don't like Bryan.

Pre on
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    1up Yours was fine until John left. It wasn't any worse without Luke, since he had his good days and his bad days (like the times he'd basically fellate Bungie). I think it's going to get worse with Intihar though. For some reason I can't stand him.

Only person that gets on my nerves more is Hsu. He has a far larger ego than he should, and I can't stand how he jerks off about Halo being the best FPS franchise ever when he hasn't even played a Half-Life game. It's not even that he loves Halo, if he thinks it's better than HL(2) that's fine, but for gods sake at least play what many would argue is the best in the genre before shooting your mouth off. It's like claiming Ratchet and Clank: FTOL is the best platformer ever when you've never played a single Mario game ever. I'm not saying it isn't, but your opinion isn't as well as informed as it would be had you played some Mario titles.

I have no complaints about GFW other than they don't update as regularly as I wish they did. Fantastic podcast even if you don't play PC games.

I am also very strongly for Jeff getting the 4th chair in 1Up Yours. Jeff is awesome, especially when he reads fantasy lit in that crazy voice.

GamingSteve was my first podcast ever, but I've since come to only be able to tolerate it. He seems pretty full of himself lately, and his mispronunciations of late have become fairly grating.

I'm also starting to take a liking to Evil Avatar Radio.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    1up Yours was fine until John left. It wasn't any worse without Luke, since he had his good days and his bad days (like the times he'd basically fellate Bungie).

I agree. I liked Luke, but the show didn't suffer like I thought it would after he left. It was when John took off that the show started falling apart. I didn't know how annoying Shane and Garnett could get until he was gone.

Haven't listened to the shows with Bryan yet, but it seems like a weird choice to me. I think they need Shawn Eliott as 4th chair. They desperately need somebody from the PC's perspective, plus he's shown in the past that he can reign in Shane and Garnett.

Smarmy Lech on
    Cottontail.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    1up Yours was fine until John left. It wasn't any worse without Luke, since he had his good days and his bad days (like the times he'd basically fellate Bungie).

I agree. I liked Luke, but the show didn't suffer like I thought it would after he left. It was when John took off that the show started falling apart. I didn't know how annoying Shane and Garnett could get until he was gone.

Haven't listened to the shows with Bryan yet, but it seems like a weird choice to me. I think they need Shawn Eliott as 4th chair. They desperately need somebody from the PC's perspective, plus he's shown in the past that he can reign in Shane and Garnett.

Exactly. Bryan hasn't really helped, he just seems like a "Yes-man" to everything that Shane and Garnett say.

It's funny how the GFW Podcast sometimes rebukes a lot of the comments that Shane makes in 1UP Yours, especially regarding the "death of PC gaming". I'd love to get everyone in a room and have a good old-fashion flame-fest. Maybe they should do it at PAX. :)

JCRooks on

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    syndalis wrote: »
    yeah, I'll mention 360Arcadians Live again. There have been some cast mixups over the year and change the podcast has been running, but there is now a rotating team of five folks, who bring a fairly entertaining look at what's going on in gaming news right now. They aren't entirely 360 focused either, so don't let the name fool ya. Massive gushing for Metroid Prime, Mario Galaxy, and the recent resurgence of the PSP has taken place on there as well.

There is a new podcast at 360a as well called Elite Arcadian Review Force. While maybe not as polished as 360a Live yet, they are dedicated to the show, and have been getting better every time I listen to them. They focus MOSTLY on reviewing games released across all platforms in the past week or so. It can be very entertaining, and is worth a listen.

Both of these shows update weekly right now.

The check's in the mail.

- - - - -

My ideal possible-in-the-real-world 1UP Yours line-up: Garnett, Shane, James Mielke and Jeff Green. For the fuckin' win.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Jazz wrote: »
    My ideal possible-in-the-real-world 1UP Yours line-up: Garnett, Shane, James Mielke and Jeff Green. For the fuckin' win.

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. :winky:

BTW - I apologize for not listening to 360 Arcadians Live lately. It's a great podcast, but I've just been inundated with so many other podcasts. I need to get back to listening. :)

JCRooks on

• Options
    edited February 2008

Exactly. Bryan hasn't really helped, he just seems like a "Yes-man" to everything that Shane and Garnett say.

It's funny how the GFW Podcast sometimes rebukes a lot of the comments that Shane makes in 1UP Yours, especially regarding the "death of PC gaming". I'd love to get everyone in a room and have a good
    old-fashion flame-fest. Maybe they should do it at PAX. :)

Yeah, well, I'm sure that they're tired of Shane's constant remarks about how miserable PC gaming is.

Garnett used to play PC games, but he isn't really connected to the PC side of the industry these days. We need Jeff or Shawn on 1up Yours to counter this.

Pre on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I forgot to mention Broken Pixels. Seanbaby ragging on old games more than makes up for having to include Shane and that other keyboard biscuit in the show.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I liked Luke, and now that he's doing the Bungie Podcast he's better off I think.

Still really miss John, as the shows really needs someone who can tell Garnett and Shane when to get over themselves.

Inglorious Coyote on