As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Trek] Keep On Trekkin' (Lower Decks stuff in SPOILERS)

• mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    "fullest potential" doesn't mean everyone needs to be a scientist, either.

Maybe your fullest potential is living a 100 year long orgy, becoming a tree, live in and explore a non-culture society, surf on lava, play an instrument, become the best virtual gamer ever, or even all of those together.

I should reread the culture books, it's been a few years..

there was that guy whos goal was to have the most number of penises getting stimulated by different people at once

I think he ended up at 47 and even with all his extra artifical hearts he was having some issues with it

As I recall he ascended to a higher plane of existence

Yes, but the ascension was not caused by the penises: he got them for the pre-ascension celebration, and had them removed, as well as other body modifications, before the ascension.
    Compared to some of the other modifications in Hydrogen Sonata, this one was rather boring.

Also, he was not from the Culture. The Culture find ascension suspicious: the ascended are not helping the galaxy anymore, even if they could, and something that makes you less altruistic is inherently wrong.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Once you become one with the existential koala you're just too busy spending eternity going BUT WHY THO

wWuzwvJ.png
  • MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Friend of mine whipped this up after rewatching Encounter at Farpoint (and gave me permission to share it.)

https://youtu.be/DJSk-esLQlk

uH3IcEi.png
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Once you become one with the existential koala you're just too busy spending eternity going BUT WHY THO

Omniscience only creates new questions: "WHY IS HE SMILING WHAT DOES HE KNOW!?"

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Friend of mine whipped this up after rewatching Encounter at Farpoint (and gave me permission to share it.)

THE BOY.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    mrondeau wrote: »
    "fullest potential" doesn't mean everyone needs to be a scientist, either.

Maybe your fullest potential is living a 100 year long orgy, becoming a tree, live in and explore a non-culture society, surf on lava, play an instrument, become the best virtual gamer ever, or even all of those together.

I should reread the culture books, it's been a few years..

there was that guy whos goal was to have the most number of penises getting stimulated by different people at once

I think he ended up at 47 and even with all his extra artifical hearts he was having some issues with it

As I recall he ascended to a higher plane of existence

Yes, but the ascension was not caused by the penises: he got them for the pre-ascension celebration, and had them removed, as well as other body modifications, before the ascension.
    Compared to some of the other modifications in Hydrogen Sonata, this one was rather boring.

Also, he was not from the Culture. The Culture find ascension suspicious: the ascended are not helping the galaxy anymore, even if they could, and something that makes you less altruistic is inherently wrong.

The Hydrogen Sonata's ending made me incredibly angry, and then I relaxed, and then I appreciated it
    None of it mattered

but then, can't that be said of anything?

I feel like that's the point and I kind of love it, in retrospect. The story and characters were good, and their journey enjoyable, that's what counts

also eccentric "totally disarmed" culture "Ex"-warships are the best characters in any of the books

override367 on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I've honestly learned to like it over the years, although that might just be some kind of music version of Stockholm syndrome. I do think especially in the last few years a wholesome, cheesy inspirational sentiment has been helpful to fortify myself mentally against the darkness.

It's still not a patch on most of the real Trek themes, of course.

ya i'm with you, somehow over the years i've begun to like it

:(

dangit, I missed a good root beer joke

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Tucker was a space racist who was frequently played as a moron and it was really unfortunate how mayweather, the only one of those assholes who had a lot of experience in space, was the one piloting the ship

• ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    Tucker was a space racist who was frequently played as a moron and it was really unfortunate how mayweather, the only one of those assholes who had a lot of experience in space, was the one piloting the ship

So, someone with a lot of experience operating a fishing trawler joins the Navy, they should automatically become a Captain?

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Comahawk wrote: »

So, someone with a lot of experience operating a fishing trawler joins the Navy, they should automatically become a Captain?

How many dogs does he bring along to piss on sacred trees?

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

When that fishing boat was one of the few boats in existence and the other choice is nepotism incarnate....

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    daveNYC wrote: »

When that fishing boat was one of the few boats in existence and the other choice is nepotism incarnate....

That would make sense if you ignored Archer's background in Starfleet where he worked his way up to Commander and was one of the key figures in the NX program, sure.

edited April 2021

Since the rest of the crew except for T'pol had, in this analogy, never been on a boat in the ocean before

Also, Archer was a test pilot which somehow made him competent to be the captain of a starship, instead of making the test pilot the ... pilot

It reeks of the real world navy and how almost all of our naval ship captains are fighter pilots because they all pick their fighter pilot bros to be new captains

override367 on
    edited April 2021

Since the rest of the crew except for T'pol had, in this analogy, never been on a boat in the ocean before

Also, Archer was a test pilot which somehow made him competent to be the captain of a starship, instead of making the test pilot the ... pilot

It reeks of the real world navy and how almost all of our naval ship captains are fighter pilots because they all pick their fighter pilot bros to be new captains

That only applies to aircraft carriers in the US Navy as far as I am aware. Which to a degree makes sense, given their understanding of fighter operations, but I've always found questionable given their lack of ship driving experience. And while yes, Archer was a test pilot for the NX project, presumably he did other work in Starfleet leading up to being a senior officer. So you can assume he had some other experience in space, although the show does a shit job explaining that. Also, COs for Naval ships are not chosen in the fashion you're suggesting, there is a lot more that goes into it.

This is all analogous of the current space program, which typical employs military background pilots to fly the craft. Which is admittedly a weird direction for Starfleet to also take, but still makes more sense than giving that position to a space yokel who grew up on a cargo ship.

Comahawk on
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Also they never really took advantage of Mayweathers potential knowledge about space
    Like the guy lived in space all his life, presumably seen a few worlds and met aliens or at least gossiped with other freighter people, yet every day Archer to turns to T'Pol and asks 'what does the Vulcan database tell us about where we are/who these people are', instead of occasionaly at least asking if he knew anything.

The Enterprise crew really just Yolo'ed into space and hoped for the best

edited April 2021
    I forget if Mayweather had been on a warp 1 or 2 ship, but the top speed of either is c and 8 c and he even said they would go months to over a year between stops.

Warp 5 is 125c. Enterprise was stuck at warp 4 (64 c) for a long time, but it still went farther in episode 1 than Mayweather had gone in his entire career.

This is on the TOS scale, which aside from Threshold still seems to be used through Voyager at least (their trip time under the TNG technical manual's warp 10=infinity scale should have been around 12 years, not 70.

Hevach on
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    GaryO wrote: »
    Also they never really took advantage of Mayweathers potential knowledge about space
    Like the guy lived in space all his life, presumably seen a few worlds and met aliens or at least gossiped with other freighter people, yet every day Archer to turns to T'Pol and asks 'what does the Vulcan database tell us about where we are/who these people are', instead of occasionaly at least asking if he knew anything.

See, he was a black guy and having the white captain needing to have basic science and cultural shit explained to him by a black guy makes him look weak and incompetent.

Plus T'Pols actress was dating Braga at the time and therefore she was what in D&D is known as "Dungeon Masters Girlfriend", which entitled her to +20 lines in the episode.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    so i've discovered that if i turn on my VPN at all, even connecting within the same country/region, [Netflix] takes away the star treks and probably a lot of other stuff.

also i just go to the point of Violations in TNG. and I do not feel good after watching that episode

initiatefailure on
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    GaryO wrote: »

so i've discovered that if i turn on my VPN at all, even connecting within the same country/region, it takes away the star treks and probably a lot of other stuff.

also i just go to the point of Violations in TNG. and I do not feel good after watching that episode

Oh, it’s not just me. I feel...better? Thought I was going mad. Only seems to be on my Fire stick though.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    I forget if Mayweather had been on a warp 1 or 2 ship, but the top speed of either is c and 8 c and he even said they would go months to over a year between stops.

Warp 5 is 125c. Enterprise was stuck at warp 4 (64 c) for a long time, but it still went farther in episode 1 than Mayweather had gone in his entire career.

This is on the TOS scale, which aside from Threshold still seems to be used through Voyager at least (their trip time under the TNG technical manual's warp 10=infinity scale should have been around 12 years, not 70.

You could probably handwave that as Voyager not being able to maintain that speed indefinitely, or it being hideously inefficient on dilithium much like driving at 100mph sucks up the gas

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    So it turns out there are actually some pretty strong episodes in season 3 of TOS. I had developed the impression that it was all supposed to be like the result of fans wishing on a monkey's paw for more Star Trek, but while it does feel kind of uneven, I think I average out to come away more positive about the show now than I was at the end of season 2. I really like how they seem to want to do more with the more minor bridge characters, even if I feel a little sketchy about them turning the russian guy into the Worf of the group. Also yeah they're leaning pretty heavily on scenarios that make the crew use swords and dress in period styles or whatever, which feels a lot like they're saving a lot of money on effects by raiding a prop closet. Still, they're doing cool stuff with it.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »

We need your friend to fill the void Byron Hussie left.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

You could probably handwave that as Voyager not being able to maintain that speed indefinitely, or it being hideously inefficient on dilithium much like driving at 100mph sucks up the gas

I thought the whole point of the Intrepid-class was that it had the highest cruising speed of any ship in Starfleet history. Then I looked it up on Memory Alpha and saw that it had the best max speed period, but nothing about the cruising speed (the article insists on calling it "top sustainable cruise velocity"), If you're wondering how long Starfleet considers cruising to be for ships that could be in space for years at a time...

...12 hours.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    otyw4g96cjls.jpg

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    I dunno what it says about me and how much of a star trek nerd i am but i feel like only only have I talked about that, but I think we have even in the PA star trek thread before lol

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • AeolusdallasAeolusdallas Registered User regular
    So it turns out there are actually some pretty strong episodes in season 3 of TOS. I had developed the impression that it was all supposed to be like the result of fans wishing on a monkey's paw for more Star Trek, but while it does feel kind of uneven, I think I average out to come away more positive about the show now than I was at the end of season 2. I really like how they seem to want to do more with the more minor bridge characters, even if I feel a little sketchy about them turning the russian guy into the Worf of the group. Also yeah they're leaning pretty heavily on scenarios that make the crew use swords and dress in period styles or whatever, which feels a lot like they're saving a lot of money on effects by raiding a prop closet. Still, they're doing cool stuff with it.

The weakest TOS episodes are in 3 but it also has several of the strongest. Lack of budget was season 3's real issue

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    TOS season 3 has genuinely terrible episodes, but it also has a couple of genuinely great ones (for my money, "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield", "Day of the Dove", and "All Our Yesterdays") and quite a few that have good ideas that are somewhat let down by a lack of time/money/energy/focus, like "Spectre of the Gun" and "For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky" - good ideas that I wish had been done better justice.

I do generally prefer the season's more serious (if often glum) tone over the Batman-fad-chasing camp of late season 2, though.

rRwz9.gif
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    The Omega Glory will always be one of my favorite episodes of TOS. It's one of the very few times the show describes just how ridiculously overpowered a hand phaser is. It was silly and full of djangoist propaganda but it hit just the right spot for me.

Omega Glory is such a weird episode, quality wise. It seems to be consistently high on both best episode and worst episode lists, and I'm not sure if I've every really had strong feelings about it either way (I've always been somewhat ambivalent to TOS).

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    It is, in some ways, peak TOS, with all the best and worst excesses of the show/period, most notably another planet that developed identically to Earth because reasons.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Isn't that the episode that's like wanking to the US constitution?

edited April 2021
    shryke wrote: »
    Isn't that the episode that's like wanking to the US constitution?

Declaration of Independence I think it was.

Edit: looked it up, it's the Pledge of Allegiance.

Hevach on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Oh man, Cat's Paw (TOS) is a hilarious episode.
    Kirk fights giant kitty cat a la Team America and the most adorable Lovecraftian entities ever:
    67jcndzuczba.png

edited April 2021
    I named my first two sundews after Korob and Sylvia, the eldritch pipe cleaner aliens.

Omega Glory is one of a handful of episodes where I was like "you know, maybe TOS is... too dated."

BloodySloth on
    So according to "Metamorphosis" the universal translator is actually a telepathic computer that's constantly reading everyone's minds and then dubs them over, which they proceed to use on a gas cloud alien.
    Spock: The voice sounds female... and super thirsty

That's the one where they're like "male and female are universal constants and this featureless spectral cloud is all woman"

and uh, eek

The episode means well, though, even if it doesn't land very gracefully for a modern audience. That's a lot of Star Trek.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Also Cochrane is a hunk instead of a drunk.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    What would you do if a thirsty cloud girl showed up at your door

That's the one where they're like "male and female are universal constants and this featureless spectral cloud is all woman"

and uh, eek

The episode means well, though, even if it doesn't land very gracefully for a modern audience. That's a lot of Star Trek.

um... kind of ... I wasn't entirely paying attention, but i think it ends with the gas cloud wearing the female ambassador like a meat jacket.

edited April 2021
    Also Cochrane is a hunk instead of a drunk.

Yeah I forgot that was Zefram Cochrane! I had no idea the character had existed for so long; I did a double take when I heard that name drop while watching that one for the first time.

BloodySloth on
This discussion has been closed.