As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I mean, uh, Doom, am I rite? Rip and tear?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    I mean, uh, Doom, am I rite? Rip and tear?

"Rip and Tear (your emotions) until (it) Therapy is Done"

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I was actually a little surprised that they (Ancient Gods 2 ending spoilers)
    Didn't have the Slayer say "Rip and Tear" or something about huge guts as the thing he says at the end.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I was actually a little surprised that they (Ancient Gods 2 ending spoilers)
    Didn't have the Slayer say "Rip and Tear" or something about huge guts as the thing he says at the end.

It cracked me up because
    the dark lord is like “do you have anything to say” and doomguy pauses and you think he’s going to remain stoically silent, then he’s like “no”. And all I could think was “that’s technically saying something” and I bet the dark lord was super pissed at how much of a dummy doomguy was for saying that as he was dying

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    So I guess I should get off my ass and replay Doom 2016, then Eternal, then buy the Ancient Gods DLC and finally play both parts of that. I'm excited, I've only played each of the Dooms once so it's been about a year since I've played.

Tell my wife and cats, dogs, and pigs I love them

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    DF playing Doom3 on PSVR, pretty good joke around 1:30 even if it's not your thing.

https://youtu.be/V2GW4fUOkBo

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah Doom 3 in VR is so intense, with all the jump scares I have to play in small increments. I'm just constantly telling demons to eff off.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    We've moved beyond "Does it run Doom?" into "Can it run in Doom?"

By exploiting a bug in the way Doom 2 and Ultimate Doom load saved games, a programmer has found a new technique to run custom code inside of Doom. https://t.co/1a9kOfasrC

Vice Games is a website about video games on Vice.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    How long until we can run Doom in Doom?

• Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Fuck that, you got 16 billion crabs handy?

https://www.pcgamesn.com/doom/crabs

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I haven't played doom since it came out but now that both dlc are out I want to pick them up and play them. My question is, are they accessible from the main menu with selectable difficulty or will I have to find the entrance in game? My only play through was on UV but I don't have the urge to refine my skills just to be able to play again so I would rather play through on normal.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    I haven't played doom since it came out but now that both dlc are out I want to pick them up and play them. My question is, are they accessible from the main menu with selectable difficulty or will I have to find the entrance in game? My only play through was on UV but I don't have the urge to refine my skills just to be able to play again so I would rather play through on normal.

The DLC is accessed from the main menu, completely separate from the main campaign and with its own save files.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVEIXrY9tZQ

Doom's explosions are square, not circular. Everything is a lie!

• Options
    furlion wrote: »

Trust me normal is the new ultra violence when it comes to the dlc

• Options
    I'm curious how difficult "easy" is in this game. I tried it and it was ludicrously easy on the first level, but I can't tell if playing of UV has warped my perspective.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    I'm curious how difficult "easy" is in this game. I tried it and it was ludicrously easy on the first level, but I can't tell if playing of UV has warped my perspective.

If you’ve played UV or NM, easy is ridiculously easy. It’s orders of magnitude difference between them, not 2x as hard.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    https://www.youtube .com/watch?v=BVEIXrY9tZQ

Doom's explosions are square, not circular. Everything is a lie!

It's not something I've ever thought about, but explosions being square doesn't surprise me since the player and enemies are also squares.

The double blast damage bug is a fun one.

• Options
    New Doom Game announced.

https://youtu.be/1tvj9X0Qo-U

You'd think after the Commander Keen debacle they would quit giving id software properties to mobile developers.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    The artstyle and UI is really similar to Keen mobile actually. Might be the same studio?

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I honestly don't hate the way it looks, but I'm assuming it's fulllll of micro transactions.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    New Doom Game announced.

You'd think after the Commander Keen debacle they would quit giving id software properties to mobile developers.

It's really rare for me to watch a trailer and go, "Huh, that looks kind of interesting and cool," and then somewhere before the halfway point change my mind completely.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    New Doom Game announced.

It's really rare for me to watch a trailer and go, "Huh, that looks kind of interesting and cool," and then somewhere before the halfway point change my mind completely.

Seems weird that there's almost no movement in that trailer, even when the players just standing in a bunch of attack tells.

• Options
    I looked at the art and was like I dig it, then as soon as I realised it was a mobile game I was instantly uninterested.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    A while back I wanted to see how bad the new Tomb Raider mobile game was, so I watched some footage of it, and it's this godawful buy your weapons before each round, auto run around and shoot stuff mess. The Doom mobile game looks exactly the same, down to the shape of the rooms and the coins coming out of dead monsters.

Do people actually play these games?

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    A while back I wanted to see how bad the new Tomb Raider mobile game was, so I watched some footage of it, and it's this godawful buy your weapons before each round, auto run around and shoot stuff mess. The Doom mobile game looks exactly the same, down to the shape of the rooms and the coins coming out of dead monsters.

Do people actually play these games?

Sadly, yes. I honestly wish I enjoyed mobile games. It's something that I have with me all the time, so finding decent games for it would be awesome, but the predatory nature of these games just makes the whole community look so toxic. I know there are some good ones out there, but they are so few and far between compared to the trash that it's exhausting trying to find them. The lack of no real controls doesn't help either, at least for me.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    That Doom mobile game doesn't look like it'll control well enough on a touch screen to be any fun. This is why I'll never actually play anything other than turn based RPGs on my phone.

• Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular

If you’ve played UV or NM, easy is ridiculously easy. It’s orders of magnitude difference between them, not 2x as hard.

I would go so far to say that once you play a bunch on Nightmare, even Ultra Violence feels incredibly easy. Getting to that point though can be rough.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Epilepsy warning.

https://youtu.be/1FbDt72g9BM

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    If it weren't for the wobble effect... I might actually play that.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Wait a fucking second

The Bethesda Launcher doesn't have cloud saves?

In 2021?????

So I have to start the whole fucking thing over?!?!?!?!!?

Is your account level reset too? Because that would be bullshit in a game with a persistent player account that you level up, have tons of unlockables and online modes not having cloud saves is mind-blowing.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I figured if anyone knew, it would be this thread...

I beat Doom Eternal on PC, having played it with Game Pass.

I think I'd like to roll into the DLC.

Game Pass gives me the option to buy the Season 1 pass for $26. If I do that, will it work? Or do I need to buy a full version of the game?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »

Game Pass gives me the option to buy the Season 1 pass for $26. If I do that, will it work? Or do I need to buy a full version of the game?

It'll work. One of the ways gamepass makes money is by offering you the game for "Free" and then getting people to shell out for the DLC.

I'm surprised it isn't included in Gamepass though.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

It'll work. One of the ways gamepass makes money is by offering you the game for "Free" and then getting people to shell out for the DLC.

I'm surprised it isn't included in Gamepass though.

Probably it will be eventually... also the Bethesda/MSFT stuff is still relatively new?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    The DLC is actually a standalone game, you don't need to own Eternal at all

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Is that a console thing? Because I absolutely load it up in the Doom Eternal client on PC.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    standalone on PC too
    It just downloads the whole game and only gives you access to TAG and Battle Mode

• Options
    It’s so weird that they did that, like who buys the much harder dlc when the game is pretty cheap by now especially during sales? Must be enough crazy people to justify it I suppose

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Is that a console thing? Because I absolutely load it up in the Doom Eternal client on PC.

It's not standalone in the sense that it is a separate program, but it is available without the base game. If you look closely at the Steam page for DOOM Eternal: The Ancient Gods - Part One you can see that despite the DLC banner on the logo, it is classified as a game and not DLC.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Whelp. That's Ancient Gods part 1 done!

... I'm a little pissed. I got everything collected except for the VERY LAST special encounter. I guess because I didn't notice the switch the first time, I couldn't trigger it. I shot so much ordnance into it, and I even used fast travel to teleport back to it at the end of the level. But nope! Just had to beat the DLC, and now I gotta go back through that level again... which, given the length of these things, I sure as hell don't want to do tonight. It also sucks that this is the second time something's bugged out for me in terms of 100% completion.

Regarding Ancient Gods part 1 DLC ending:
    DAMNIT, VEGA, LET ME KILL SAMUEL! I've been wanting to since Doom 2016! His holier than thou attitude... which seems REALLY on the nose now.. has just pissed me the fuck off. I came THAT close, after such an insane final boss.. and you're like "nope!" He even looks like a fucking demon at this point!

... If I have to kill myself to get at him, I will. Oh, don't you doubt it, I will.

Athenor on