As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Hunted

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2021 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Hunted

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I get that it's a reference to Monster Hunter Rise and to Chekhov's gun. But otherwise, what? Do the monsters constantly fight each other in the game? Is that important to the hunters? Do you need to avoid fighting them when that happens and so this pretense is a survival strategy. Or is it just funny in the game when they do that?

Help me out.

dennis on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Yes. Yes. Yes. Depends on the Hunter. Depends on the hunter's sense of humor.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I haven't played Rise, but in World yeah, a lot of monsters will interact when they encounter each other.

Which ranges from yelling at each other like in the comic, to scuffling, to flat out big monsters body slamming smaller ones, or two similarly sized ones getting into a knock-down drag-out grappling match on the ground likely to roll over you if you're not careful.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    dennis wrote: »
    I get that it's a reference to Monster Hunter Rise and to Chekhov's gun. But otherwise, what? Do the monsters constantly fight each other in the game? Is that important to the hunters? Do you need to avoid fighting them when that happens and so this pretense is a survival strategy. Or is it just funny in the game when they do that?

Help me out.

In Rise it's actually more strategic to bring monsters together to force them to fight because of the damage they do at no risk to you. The Hunters are the real bad guys and the monsters are being chased down by them to skin them. I think the joke is the monsters would probably commiserate together about the situation they find themselves in united in secrecy against the hunters.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    PsyraPsyra Registered User regular
    It sounds to me like "Hey, we're friends and all, but the hunters are watching, quick, pretend we hate each other."

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Psyra wrote: »
    It sounds to me like "Hey, we're friends and all, but the hunters are watching, quick, pretend we hate each other."

Yeah, I got what they were portraying (that's why I said it was a pretense). I was just looking for me of the why that makes sense in this particular game (which people have supplied).

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I haven't played Rise, but in World yeah, a lot of monsters will interact when they encounter each other.

Which ranges from yelling at each other like in the comic, to scuffling, to flat out big monsters body slamming smaller ones, or two similarly sized ones getting into a knock-down drag-out grappling match on the ground likely to roll over you if you're not careful.

Some of them are quite brutal.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    To be fair no monster likes Rajang, he's the "who invited this asshole" of the monster hunter family.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    In Rise, not only is it beneficial to make monsters fight each other, but you can join in by pinning one down then ride it to attack the other one brutally.

The weirdest thing is when 4 of us hunters are mercilessly eviscerating a monster and another one shows up, the half-dead monster switches its attention to the newly arrived monster even though we clearly are the biggest threat here.

Djiem on