As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] Summer Sale: Don't look here, look over there!

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Control's combat sucks and gets in the way of the cool scifi stuff.

Excuse me, this is the line for unpopular game opinions.

I feel like I've seen more people go "Remedy finally got the combat right this time."

I think that has to be looked at in context. People think Control's combat was better than Remedy's previous story and exploration driven stuff and it did have some fun ideas. I actually think it could have been good with better enemy and encounter design. The powers were enjoyable to use and the shooting wasn't great but also didn't feel bad when looked at in isolation. But combat encounters were so bad it dragged the combat down before very long.

Edit: I think I can compare it a bit to Fallout 4's combat. The shooting mechanics actually felt pretty good. But weapon choices, enemy AI, environmental design, some bullet spongier enemies, and other mechanics also have a big effect on combat feel and brought it back down.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I didn't like Cosmic Star Heroine. It sort of fell apart and lost its steam midway through and I wasn't really vibing with the combat to begin with.

Also, Monster Hunter type games feel bad to play.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Oooh. Lemme try.

I like Hades well enough. I'd like it better if it were split into two games: the roguelike escape combat and the visual novel segments in the House.

steam_sig.png
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The Mass Effect series is a turd in the punchbowl.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    g0qajgx2lj4l.jpg

Me right now and loving it.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I’ll say it:

I like real time with pause better than turn based for the most part.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I’ll say it:

Oh, on that note.

Jagged Alliance Back in Action was actually good, JA2 fans were just upset that it wasn't literally just JA2 again.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Mass Effect Andromeda is actually pretty fun, and (Sara) Ryder is a more interesting character than Shepard.

Aistan on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I’ll say it:

Oh, on that note.

Jagged Alliance Back in Action was actually good, JA2 fans were just upset that it wasn't literally just JA2 again.

Back in Action should not have been a remake of JA2, then.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah. And another one: Among Us needs like one more mechanic for ghosts to engage with. Dying early in a round is not fun and there's very little to interact with as you become task bot.

I like The Resistance or Avalon or Secret Hitler way more in the genre of hidden role/social deduction games.

steam_sig.png
    I’ll say it:

Oh, on that note.

JA2 is still there if you want to play JA2. Back in Action did something new and fun with JA2.

Stabbity_Style.png
    I’ll say it:

Oh, on that note.

JA2 is still there if you want to play JA2. Back in Action did something new and fun with JA2.

If you're going to make JA2, make JA2. If you're not, then do something new.

Oh, and I have no real opinion about BIA other than not liking the inability to create the PC like how JA2 did it. It was an acceptable game but no gteat shakes.

I’ll say it:

Oh, on that note.

But why? JA2 was a niche title specifically appealing to people that wanted a bridge between turn based RPGs and strategy games. The combat itself was pretty basic even if you had a number of options. We've had real time reimaginings of X-Com in the form of the UFO: Afterstuff series and they took things in their own direction. Back in Action literally recycled the story, characters, and setting of JA2. I just don't get who they were trying to make a game for.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    The Metal Gear Solid series has too many cutscenes and the storylines are a mess.

I'm going to tell you exactly why your opinion is wrong, and why you should feel bad:
    (insert 14 minute long codec conversation here)

I’ll say it:

Oh, on that note.

But why? JA2 was a niche title specifically appealing to people that wanted a bridge between turn based RPGs and strategy games. The combat itself was pretty basic even if you had a number of options. We've had real time reimaginings of X-Com in the form of the UFO: Afterstuff series and they took things in their own direction. Back in Action literally recycled the story, characters, and setting of JA2. I just don't get who they were trying to make a game for.

Could they have done their own campaign and characters and not used the JA IP at all? Sure. Is it a worse game for using them? I don't think so.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I now realize I've not played Jagged Alliance and should maybe look into it.

Also, getting the FF7 remake from PS Plus recently and finding out the hard way what that actually was and being reviled by it, I think I kinda understand where people are coming from.

Also I feel strongly that the X-Com remakes are kinda where I think the bar for where a remake should be. I was a huge fan of old school X-Com and the X-Com remakes really stuck to the soul of the originals.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Oh yeah. And another one: Among Us needs like one more mechanic for ghosts to engage with. Dying early in a round is not fun and there's very little to interact with as you become task bot.

I like The Resistance or Avalon or Secret Hitler way more in the genre of hidden role/social deduction games.

If you play modded you can let the ghosts be heard by the imposters for haunting

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    The Metal Gear Solid series has too many cutscenes and the storylines are a mess.

I'm going to tell you exactly why your opinion is wrong, and why you should feel bad:
    (insert 14 minute long codec conversation here)
    In the era of six hour video essays, that's an incredibly succinct response.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Also I'm sure I have hot takes on video games but none are coming to mind right now besides my eternal middle finger to Ego Draconis

• CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    The ending of Pillars of Eternity is a disappointment, and the conspiracy is unnecessary. I feel like the authors had never observed actual humans.

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
    Oh, can I give my (bad) hot takes?!

Final Fantasy 7 ruined the series.
    Bastian's gameplay was dull (the music and VO was amazing).

If 7 hadn't derailed the series for you, 8 probably would have. They experiment a little too much with each entry and it feels like that's only increased since the merger with Enix. Now they have Dragon Quest to be the consistent series so FF is even more out there. FF13 was such a grand experiment that FF15 came out of a side game that grew too much to not be a full entry and then that grew so big they ran out of money to finish it.

Bastion was a product of its time. I think it still plays perfectly okay, but that an indie dev could make a smooth playing 2D action game like that was huge news back then. Braid blew people away back in those days but today many find it lackluster.

MGS's stupid messes are part of the charm. It does mean it's definitely not for everyone of course, certainly not anyone after a concise and tightly scripted experience. But MGS was always a satire of how ridiculous the super spy fiction genre is and amped up the stupidity after so many people took MGS at face value.

Steam Profile
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I ended up dropping FF7R 20 hours in because I thought the combat and gameplay were awful, especially so in the boss fights.

If I ever do pick it up again, I'll coast on Easy and just take in the batshit story.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    Hot take: hot takes are fine and entertain me greatly.

korodullin wrote: »
    I ended up dropping FF7R 20 hours in because I thought the combat and gameplay were awful, especially so in the boss fights.

If I ever do pick it up again, I'll coast on Easy and just take in the batshit story.

The gameplay is so good. Probably the best combat that's ever been in a Final Fantasy game.

Stabbity_Style.png
    Thawmus wrote: »

Even better is the inherent need to defend something from a hot take.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    This is from PSN, but I'll share it here since it's also on Steam and everyone loves FMV games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJJDnr-afCI
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/545540/The_Infectious_Madness_of_Doctor_Dekker/
    ss_faa2e17be02b7a0dd71ce448fbf2109717ea206c.600x338.jpg?t=1590049761

It's somewhat like Her Story, you interrogate a deceased psychologist's patients to find out what caused his murder and maybe find out how crazy these people really are.

(Spoiler: very)
    I didn't like Cosmic Star Heroine. It sort of fell apart and lost its steam midway through and I wasn't really vibing with the combat to begin with.

Also, Monster Hunter type games feel bad to play.

I felt it dragged on way too long, and the core story wasn't that interesting. It had some fun characters and areas, though.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png

Even better is the inherent need to defend something from a hot take.

Hot take:

Yeah

Though I actually usually want earnest and legitimate rebuttal because most of my hot takes come from a place of crazytown* and I want someone to talk me back off the ledge because there's usually something I'm legitimately missing or not understanding. e.g. Formula 1 racing games

As opposed to my hot cakes from lazytown, which are a piece of cake to bake.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Dragon Age is a less interesting Neverwinter Nights with grimdark themes just for the sake of it.

The original Deus Ex is a clunky, unwieldy mess of a game.

Most old CRPG conceits are crap made to deal with technology limitations and old-ass D&D rules, and one of the only good ones is real-time-with-pause.

Fallout: New Vegas is a dull and uninteresting brown/grey world with little in the way of interesting gameplay innovations and faux depth in no-win moral scenarios. The radio music is the best part of all of it.

Final Fantasy II, VIII, and III are the worst Final Fantasies of the series. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest isn't specifically bad as a game, but as a Final Fantasy title.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Fallout New Vegas is the worst Fallout.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Dragon Age is a less interesting Neverwinter Nights with grimdark themes just for the sake of it.

The original Deus Ex is a clunky, unwieldy mess of a game.

Most old CRPG conceits are crap made to deal with technology limitations and old-ass D&D rules, and one of the only good ones is real-time-with-pause.

Fallout: New Vegas is a dull and uninteresting brown/grey world with little in the way of interesting gameplay innovations and faux depth in no-win moral scenarios. The radio music is the best part of all of it.

Final Fantasy II, VIII, and III are the worst Final Fantasies of the series. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest isn't specifically bad as a game, but as a Final Fantasy title.

Quick aside, there's a mod for that, takes all the piss and poop color scheme and chucks it in the garbage.

Game's still real boring though.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I found Horizon Zero Dawn's gameplay to be disappointing and can't remember any of its cast of characters outside of Aloy and Sylens.

Horizon Zero Dawn is like the alpha of Assassin's Creed: <Newer Ones> with clunkier movement.

Story will probably be better, though.

Xeddicus wrote: »
    I found Horizon Zero Dawn's gameplay to be disappointing and can't remember any of its cast of characters outside of Aloy and Sylens.

Horizon Zero Dawn is like the alpha of Assassin's Creed: <Newer Ones> with clunkier movement.

Story will probably be better, though.

My gameplay issues mostly stemmed around 3 things:

1) I really had grown tired of the parkour mechanic where you can only climb on specified handholds and have to figure out where the map designer wanted you to go. More so since sometimes you had to climb in a low visibility snow storm. To be fair, I played HZD after Breath of the Wild and really missed the freedom I generally had in that but HZD obviously had been in development way before BotW rewrote climbing mechanics in open world games. But to also be fair, Dying Light had made better and freeform parkour years before that and without the resources of a major studio.

2) You deal with a lot of annoying, low level enemies. Everyone remembers the handful of fights against the roborexes and storm birds. But you spend so much more time dealing with the weakest robots and weak, super annoying flyers than you do fighting anything interesting.

3) HZD's approach to weapon variety was "here's a standard bow, a slow bow, and a faster bow." Non-bow weapons were either very ammo limited like the bomb slinger or very weak like the Rattler. This one's a bit personal as bows are usually my least favorite weapons to use in any game but that's still a lot of bows to the exclusion of other options.

I loved the story of the setting but even that has a caveat as I didn't find anything going on in the world that interesting and post-apocalyptic fiction really should be more about the survivors. You can only milk the mysterious end of civilization once in the series.

Steam Profile
    As opposed to my hot cakes from lazytown, which are a piece of cake to bake.

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAYUUUH

Brotherhood of Steel is the worst.

Stabbity_Style.png
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    NV never set to do anything new with gameplay. It really couldn't given that it was Obsidian trying to work with Bethesda's engine for the first time under time constraints. It's catnip for fans of the original Fallout games seeing as how it's really a sequel to 2 with a number of callbacks to that game. But it was never going to be able to be much beyond Fallout 3 with Black Isle Studio style writing. Which I guess is Oblivion with guns with Black Isle Studio writing.

That said, the best part of NV was not in the base game. It was Old World Blues with its freedom to be less grounded

https://youtu.be/jp204JcN-rM

Steam Profile
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular

I lost the Kevin spacey as lex Luther WRONG! Gif but if I still had it or cared to look for it I would feel this is an appropriate situation to use it.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I miss @Drake and his ability to find something to love about even the homeliest, most obtuse games out there.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    I have finished the Elven Court (Good Ending) in Age of Wonders 3. Satisfying ending with a hook for more. The way I end up playing this game means that I put almost 165 hours into the base campaign, although I did start over again part way through so I could play it on hard. This game really tickles something I like about the Civilization games and the RPG side of things. I'm going to play the other 3 campaigns plus a modded campaign next, but I might take a break to enjoy myself some Cat Quest 2 first.

I strongly prefer the setting (if not the story, the story was straight up stupid) of Fallout 3 because I really like urbex and post-apocalyptic cityscapes and abandonedporn (and some of the sights are pretty spectacular once you install the mod that brings back vegetation and removes the ugly puke green filter)...

... but New Vegas let me have spurs that jingle jangle jingle, so it's a tough call.

• QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    JRPGs suck.

This is kinda fun! :lol:

I think everyone in chat knows by now I very much agree with this.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.