As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat] is Beautiful

14748505253100

Posts

  • ChanusChanus I've seen things... Registered User regular
    Oh shit discord's deal with microsoft fell through because Discord rejected the 12 billion dollar offer. That is... breathtaking. Imagine saying no to an overvaluation that large.

    i don't care what my life's work is worth. if someone offers me $12 billion i'm saying yes

    Allegedly a voice of reason.
    amateurhourMortiousVishNubKamiro
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    12 billion means you can take your share and start a new company with black and hookers and forget the new company

    Doodmann
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 20

    This is awful. I want it

    There is more than one of these

    So did they have some fan with a screen they decided they could make into a portable or something

    Couscous on
    cB557
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Oh shit discord's deal with microsoft fell through because Discord rejected the 12 billion dollar offer. That is... breathtaking. Imagine saying no to an overvaluation that large.

    I kinda hope the rejection notice is just a single line:

    "No, we saw what you did to Skype."

    12 billion means who gives a shit?

    I mean yes but they may also value their product and not want to see the thing they've built over half a decade get destroyed.

  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Oh shit discord's deal with microsoft fell through because Discord rejected the 12 billion dollar offer. That is... breathtaking. Imagine saying no to an overvaluation that large.

    I kinda hope the rejection notice is just a single line:

    "No, we saw what you did to Skype."

    12 billion means who gives a shit?

    I mean yes but they may also value their product and not want to see the thing they've built over half a decade get destroyed.

    All that money more than makes up for it

    If they feel guilty, they can always donate a small portion to some charity

  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Today we will paint a mountain that owes us nothing. Registered User regular
    Oh shit discord's deal with microsoft fell through because Discord rejected the 12 billion dollar offer. That is... breathtaking. Imagine saying no to an overvaluation that large.

    Wow, I just got the spins hearing that

    What the hell

    Like

    This is your exit

    Its time to go, you've won, it'll never be higher, take your money and throw it in an index fund, pay a manager a flat AUM and live happily ever after

    And will the morning come
    All I know; we'll never see the sun
    But together we'll fight the long defeat
    Atomika
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Today we will paint a mountain that owes us nothing. Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Oh shit discord's deal with microsoft fell through because Discord rejected the 12 billion dollar offer. That is... breathtaking. Imagine saying no to an overvaluation that large.

    I kinda hope the rejection notice is just a single line:

    "No, we saw what you did to Skype."

    12 billion means who gives a shit?

    I mean yes but they may also value their product and not want to see the thing they've built over half a decade get destroyed.

    If I sell you something it's yours to break or do what you please after

    If Microsoft Skypes it make Discord 2: Electric Boogaloo with your 12 billion dollars

    And will the morning come
    All I know; we'll never see the sun
    But together we'll fight the long defeat
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Yeah if we're going to accept that we currently live in a capitalistic society then we get to be dumbfounded by someone turning down 12 billion.

    I'm guessing not everyone at the company agreed with this decision.


    Arch wrote: »

    I never expected this burn from captain bushmeat
  • ChanusChanus I've seen things... Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    I hope you’re all drunk on whatever gets you high.

    i did have some pretty good BBQ and i dunno if it's pandemic related or a 4/20 hookup because i haven't ordered from there in quite a while but they are apparently no longer skimping on the portion sizes

    it's maybe the first time i've ever paid $18 for two meats and two sides and felt like i got my money's worth

    it's a 4/20 miracle

    Allegedly a voice of reason.
    SummaryJudgmentamateurhourSixAtomikaArch
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    12 billion means you can take your share and start a new company with black and hookers and forget the new company
    I mean, Notch took over 2 billion for Minecraft, and then fucked off to become *checks notes* an alt-right apologist, so...

    Di87pOF.jpg
    PSN: Hahnsoo | MH Rise: Hahnsoo, Switch FC: SW-0085-2679-5212
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    heck, you can probably get a lot of money for your next idea from rich people with too much money just by being a guy who was a head for a company that got sold for 12 billion

  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    12 billion means you can take your share and start a new company with black and hookers and forget the new company
    I mean, Notch took over 2 billion for Minecraft, and then fucked off to become *checks notes* an alt-right apologist, so...

    Yes, money doesn't solve being a sad sack

  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1amateurhourIncenjucarcB557ArchEcho
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong For Workgroups Version 3.11 Registered User regular
    Honestly, discord makes a ton of money already, enough that the people running it want for nothing, so it is possible that they just decided that they wanted to see this through all the way. There's almost no chance they make more than 12 billion dollars on their own, and they know that, so I don't think it's greed or a misplaced bet.

    Maybe they actually care and decided not to sell at any price?

    I don't know none of this is sounding reasonable now that I write it out.

    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    cB557ArchDoodmann
  • SixSix Tech Sgt Chen Registered User regular
    Honestly, discord makes a ton of money already, enough that the people running it want for nothing, so it is possible that they just decided that they wanted to see this through all the way. There's almost no chance they make more than 12 billion dollars on their own, and they know that, so I don't think it's greed or a misplaced bet.

    Maybe they actually care and decided not to sell at any price?

    I don't know none of this is sounding reasonable now that I write it out.

    Sounds like they’re planning on going public. If so, they may absolutely believe they’ll get a valuation north of 12B.

    steamcommunity.com/id/thenumbersix/
    Switch Friend Code: SW-1335-2661-4136
    Doodmann
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I'll take one million for my land and farm right now. Like no questions asked I will sign the deed tomorrow.


    Arch wrote: »

    I never expected this burn from captain bushmeat
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Honestly, discord makes a ton of money already, enough that the people running it want for nothing, so it is possible that they just decided that they wanted to see this through all the way. There's almost no chance they make more than 12 billion dollars on their own, and they know that, so I don't think it's greed or a misplaced bet.

    Maybe they actually care and decided not to sell at any price?

    I don't know none of this is sounding reasonable now that I write it out.

    Sounds like they’re planning on going public. If so, they may absolutely believe they’ll get a valuation north of 12B.

    So they are hoping investors are as high on drugs as MS is?

    Sounds plausible

  • ChanusChanus I've seen things... Registered User regular
    Honestly, discord makes a ton of money already, enough that the people running it want for nothing, so it is possible that they just decided that they wanted to see this through all the way. There's almost no chance they make more than 12 billion dollars on their own, and they know that, so I don't think it's greed or a misplaced bet.

    Maybe they actually care and decided not to sell at any price?

    I don't know none of this is sounding reasonable now that I write it out.

    i suppose some sense of personal dignity and not letting down the people who've trusted them could be the case

    certainly a sale to microsoft would have destroyed discord in short order because microsoft is where messaging apps go to die

    $12 billion though

    i'd have to already have more money than i need to pass that up

    Allegedly a voice of reason.
    amateurhourshrykecB557ArchPeewi
  • ChanusChanus I've seen things... Registered User regular
    going public as a tech thing right now and cashing the fuck out before it all crashes down is definitely a valid play

    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    going public as a tech thing right now and cashing the fuck out before it all crashes down is definitely a valid play

    I mean it didn't work for Enron but Discord actually works so your point stands.


    Arch wrote: »

    I never expected this burn from captain bushmeat
  • ChanusChanus I've seen things... Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    going public as a tech thing right now and cashing the fuck out before it all crashes down is definitely a valid play

    I mean it didn't work for Enron but Discord actually works so your point stands.

    i think the situations there may be slightly different lel

    Allegedly a voice of reason.
    amateurhour
  • VanguardVanguard A wretched country of duskRegistered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    The sense of relief here is palpable. The jury made the right decision and the city won't burn tonight.

    similar here in brooklyn

    you could feel the tension building and now it seems like people don't know what to do that the right thing happened

  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    going public as a tech thing right now and cashing the fuck out before it all crashes down is definitely a valid play

    I mean it didn't work for Enron but Discord actually works so your point stands.

    i think the situations there may be slightly different lel

    I know but how often do I get to make an Enron joke?


    Arch wrote: »

    I never expected this burn from captain bushmeat
    Hahnsoo1
  • ChanusChanus I've seen things... Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    going public as a tech thing right now and cashing the fuck out before it all crashes down is definitely a valid play

    I mean it didn't work for Enron but Discord actually works so your point stands.

    i think the situations there may be slightly different lel

    I know but how often do I get to make an Enron joke?

    you only missed your shot by 20 years

    in the grand scheme of things that's nothing

    Allegedly a voice of reason.
    Hahnsoo1amateurhour
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    I find the idea that people tend to make choices that maximize their quality of life to be unconvincing? It seems to be the opposite of reality. My impression is that most people do not eat healthy, exercise regularly, maintain good posture, moderate their indulgences and vices effectively, avoid procrastination, sleep a full 8 hours every night as best they can, save their money, etc.; instead, they strongly tend to make choices that produce short-term benefits or pleasure at the cost of long-term unhappiness or even harm, even when they say they would rather do those good, wise things, even when they know they would be happier tomorrow having done them.

    What other measure are you proposing? Who are you to decide that the long-term costs out-weight the short-term benefits for the people in question?

    Saying "this way of drawing a conclusion sucks" carries no burden to present a defense for the opposite conclusion, unless you're inside a trolley problem.

    I don't get where you are going with this or how it connects to what I'm saying.

    My point is that EM's entire argument is making an inherent assumption about what quality of life is based on their own, largely unstated but still obviously there, criteria. But why should we view that criteria as superior to the one people chose for themselves?

    I'm saying there's a third option of EM or you or me saying "Well I'm by no means sure what quality of life is or what's good for people or what makes them happy but I'm certainly not willing to say that checking what they did is a good way to find out what made them happy."

    sig.gif
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    If I got offered 12B for something, I'd pay the taxes on it first, and post the receipt from the IRS online.

    Then I'd take the remaining 6B and give 5B to charities set up through a trust and a board of directors until money doesn't matter anymore.

    I'd take the remaining billion and do the following

    - pay off all debt for my friends and family
    - co-finance a Hollywood blockbuster
    - offer to give a no interest loan for 200M to the city of Nashville for urban repairs, more homeless shelters, better public transportation, and anything else that will help a community
    - buy a ranch (at least 1000 acres) and convert it into a working rehab ranch for troubled youth
    - bury a million dollars in non consecutive singles in a shipping container along with a bunch of really weird shit so that one day when it's discovered I'll look like an absolute psycho
    - buy a second ranch (at least 1000 acres) in the pacific northwest area for Amy to run her home for wayward LGBTQs
    - set enough aside with a private investment firm so that both ranches are covered with the profits from the blockbuster and anything additional
    - die of boredom


    Arch wrote: »

    I never expected this burn from captain bushmeat
    ChanusFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud
  • ChanusChanus I've seen things... Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    I find the idea that people tend to make choices that maximize their quality of life to be unconvincing? It seems to be the opposite of reality. My impression is that most people do not eat healthy, exercise regularly, maintain good posture, moderate their indulgences and vices effectively, avoid procrastination, sleep a full 8 hours every night as best they can, save their money, etc.; instead, they strongly tend to make choices that produce short-term benefits or pleasure at the cost of long-term unhappiness or even harm, even when they say they would rather do those good, wise things, even when they know they would be happier tomorrow having done them.

    What other measure are you proposing? Who are you to decide that the long-term costs out-weight the short-term benefits for the people in question?

    Saying "this way of drawing a conclusion sucks" carries no burden to present a defense for the opposite conclusion, unless you're inside a trolley problem.

    I don't get where you are going with this or how it connects to what I'm saying.

    My point is that EM's entire argument is making an inherent assumption about what quality of life is based on their own, largely unstated but still obviously there, criteria. But why should we view that criteria as superior to the one people chose for themselves?

    I'm saying there's a third option of EM or you or me saying "Well I'm by no means sure what quality of life is or what's good for people or what makes them happy but I'm certainly not willing to say that checking what they did is a good way to find out what made them happy."

    i suppose it's worth pointing out no set of behaviors will universally result in an improved quality of life for everyone, certainly not so limited as eating healthily or exercising more

    plenty of people do those things and are miserable, or don't do those things and are not miserable

    Allegedly a voice of reason.
    amateurhour
  • AtomikaAtomika She hungers. Registered User regular
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Friends, we did it


    z0cbzza9byr6.jpeg

    I'm like 30% right now. Getting there.


    Arch wrote: »

    I never expected this burn from captain bushmeat
    Atomika
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    It's worth noting that Discord has basically captured the entire gaming market, and other markets beyond that.

    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I might take an extra 50 million from somewhere in that budget to buy a big chunk of land right dead center of the US and have a huge bonaroo style festival there every year, but all I'm going to do is buy the land, give it to whoever the charity board elects to run the festival, and never go to the festival.


    Arch wrote: »

    I never expected this burn from captain bushmeat
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    It's worth noting that Discord has basically captured the entire gaming market, and other markets beyond that.

    Yeah but it's just a good UI, it doesn't bring anything to the table that another company can't also bring about in the next two years. In a decade it'll be just another sign taken off a building in silicon valley.

    Right?


    Arch wrote: »

    I never expected this burn from captain bushmeat
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    So I think this is a very interesting conversation but I have to stop and finish some work because I procrastinated all day and didn't get enough done, which btw made me feel bad and it would have been better if someone had imposed draconian measures to control my behaviour for my own good

    Also I'm getting sick, I'm almost positive; the canker sore, the wooziness, the sore spot in my throat...

    So I must adjourn to the small room where I pretend to work

    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I fucking hate you Canadians.
    MrMister
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    It's worth noting that Discord has basically captured the entire gaming market, and other markets beyond that.

    Yeah but it's just a good UI, it doesn't bring anything to the table that another company can't also bring about in the next two years. In a decade it'll be just another sign taken off a building in silicon valley.

    Right?
    It could be a MySpace, it could be Zynga, it could be an Uber. It's hard to tell, really.

    Di87pOF.jpg
    PSN: Hahnsoo | MH Rise: Hahnsoo, Switch FC: SW-0085-2679-5212
    amateurhour
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    If I got offered 12B for something, I'd pay the taxes on it first, and post the receipt from the IRS online.

    Then I'd take the remaining 6B and give 5B to charities set up through a trust and a board of directors until money doesn't matter anymore.

    I'd take the remaining billion and do the following

    - pay off all debt for my friends and family
    - co-finance a Hollywood blockbuster
    - offer to give a no interest loan for 200M to the city of Nashville for urban repairs, more homeless shelters, better public transportation, and anything else that will help a community
    - buy a ranch (at least 1000 acres) and convert it into a working rehab ranch for troubled youth
    - bury a million dollars in non consecutive singles in a shipping container along with a bunch of really weird shit so that one day when it's discovered I'll look like an absolute psycho
    - buy a second ranch (at least 1000 acres) in the pacific northwest area for Amy to run her home for wayward LGBTQs
    - set enough aside with a private investment firm so that both ranches are covered with the profits from the blockbuster and anything additional
    - die of boredom

    Wait why would the taxes on anything ever be half

    Isn't the top marginal rate way below that

    sig.gif
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    So I think this is a very interesting conversation but I have to stop and finish some work because I procrastinated all day and didn't get enough done, which btw made me feel bad and it would have been better if someone had imposed draconian measures to control my behaviour for my own good

    Also I'm getting sick, I'm almost positive; the canker sore, the wooziness, the sore spot in my throat...

    So I must adjourn to the small room where I pretend to work

    Do what I did today. Have a drink/smoke around two then go out and do two hard hours of work (on whatever your project is) then take a shower, have another drink/smoke, and come post.


    Arch wrote: »

    I never expected this burn from captain bushmeat
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    If I got offered 12B for something, I'd pay the taxes on it first, and post the receipt from the IRS online.

    Then I'd take the remaining 6B and give 5B to charities set up through a trust and a board of directors until money doesn't matter anymore.

    I'd take the remaining billion and do the following

    - pay off all debt for my friends and family
    - co-finance a Hollywood blockbuster
    - offer to give a no interest loan for 200M to the city of Nashville for urban repairs, more homeless shelters, better public transportation, and anything else that will help a community
    - buy a ranch (at least 1000 acres) and convert it into a working rehab ranch for troubled youth
    - bury a million dollars in non consecutive singles in a shipping container along with a bunch of really weird shit so that one day when it's discovered I'll look like an absolute psycho
    - buy a second ranch (at least 1000 acres) in the pacific northwest area for Amy to run her home for wayward LGBTQs
    - set enough aside with a private investment firm so that both ranches are covered with the profits from the blockbuster and anything additional
    - die of boredom

    Wait why would the taxes on anything ever be half

    Isn't the top marginal rate way below that

    I'm going by most self employed people making between six and eight figures having a tax rate roughly 35-45% and then assumed erring toward the side of lotto winnings where I just give half of it up.


    Arch wrote: »

    I never expected this burn from captain bushmeat
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I will say that Discord is by far the longest my online gaming group has stuck with a voice comm program, and we usually switch like changing hats. Teamspeak, Mumble, all of those programs were things we used to use, but Discord has remained the easiest to stay with.

    Di87pOF.jpg
    PSN: Hahnsoo | MH Rise: Hahnsoo, Switch FC: SW-0085-2679-5212
    amateurhourArch
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    If I got offered 12B for something, I'd pay the taxes on it first, and post the receipt from the IRS online.

    Then I'd take the remaining 6B and give 5B to charities set up through a trust and a board of directors until money doesn't matter anymore.

    I'd take the remaining billion and do the following

    - pay off all debt for my friends and family
    - co-finance a Hollywood blockbuster
    - offer to give a no interest loan for 200M to the city of Nashville for urban repairs, more homeless shelters, better public transportation, and anything else that will help a community
    - buy a ranch (at least 1000 acres) and convert it into a working rehab ranch for troubled youth
    - bury a million dollars in non consecutive singles in a shipping container along with a bunch of really weird shit so that one day when it's discovered I'll look like an absolute psycho
    - buy a second ranch (at least 1000 acres) in the pacific northwest area for Amy to run her home for wayward LGBTQs
    - set enough aside with a private investment firm so that both ranches are covered with the profits from the blockbuster and anything additional
    - die of boredom

    Wait why would the taxes on anything ever be half

    Isn't the top marginal rate way below that

    I'm going by most self employed people making between six and eight figures having a tax rate roughly 35-45% and then assumed erring toward the side of lotto winnings where I just give half of it up.

    How do those self employed people have a tax rate above 37% which is what i just googled

    That makes sense that there are extra taxes on state run gambling but not casino gambling

    I might have predicted that

    sig.gif
    amateurhour
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I will say that Discord is by far the longest my online gaming group has stuck with a voice comm program, and we usually switch like changing hats. Teamspeak, Mumble, all of those programs were things we used to use, but Discord has remained the easiest to stay with.

    That's fair, when it works it works flawlessly and it does well handling higher and lower connections re: video cause I'm on cell phone internet and when we play D&D there's very few interruptions to the game. Whatever they have on the backend works well, but if it's just AWS, then someone else will eventually take that throne


    Arch wrote: »

    I never expected this burn from captain bushmeat
This discussion has been closed.