As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Playstation 5] Out Now! Happy Hunting.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Even as a PSP owner my problem was less about the fact that they deprecated the stores and more to do with the fact that they tried to couch the announcement on the sly as if it wasn't anything worth noticing, or a legacy not worth celebrating in some way, or a problem to be quietly shelved.
    Oh, and the fact that a bunch of developers still developing for these platforms were not given the necesssary time or notice in advance so some of them were just shit out of luck for publishing, which is extra shitty

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Even as a PSP owner my problem was less about the fact that they deprecated the stores and more to do with the fact that they tried to couch the announcement on the sly as if it wasn't anything worth noticing, or a legacy not worth celebrating in some way, or a problem to be quietly shelved.

Shutting down stores is always bad PR, you want them to draw more attention to it? This is murder, not a funeral.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    And we still don't even have a true "built for the ground up" game from Sony for it yet. Shit's wild, yo.

urahonky wrote: »
    And we still don't even have a true "built for the ground up" game from Sony for it yet. Shit's wild, yo.

To be fair, same for Microsoft. Yeah, this new generation is weird.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Turns out people like video games.

lol remember at the beginning of last gen all the hot takes about how people played mobile games now so nobody was gonna buy the new consoles

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

lol remember at the beginning of last gen all the hot takes about how people played mobile games now so nobody was gonna buy the new consoles

I'm so glad that we aren't dealing with that now. Mobile games are the bane of my existence.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

Yea, this new generation was rushed out the door faster than it really needed to be. With the pandemic and the lack of any real killer app launch title that wasn't a cross gen title or remake, I'm thinking that both MS and Sony could have delayed the launch to the middle of this year. I'm not sure why they had to release last year. :?

Then again, I don't know any of the metrics they looked at and maybe their numbers said they needed to get the next gen rolling all quick like.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Yea, this new generation was rushed out the door faster than it really needed to be. With the pandemic and the lack of any real killer app launch title that wasn't a cross gen title or remake, I'm thinking that both MS and Sony could have delayed the launch to the middle of this year. I'm not sure why they had to release last year. :?

Then again, I don't know any of the metrics they looked at and maybe their numbers said they needed to get the next gen rolling all quick like.
    I mean, by Christmas. It's always by then. Otherwise, you'd have to delay for a lackluster release at any other time of year.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I think the Switch made a good case that you didn't need a to launch in time for Christmas. It was great because the early adopters weren't fighting over the same shipments as the Christmas buyers.

Hit tax return season in the US and launch with another big title for Christmas. Plus that helps your fiscal quarter 1 look really good and continue to grow through the holiday season.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Any reason Astro's Playroom and the Medium don't count here?

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

To be fair that was basically what the console makers expected too. Very little effort/playing it safe on Sony's side (i.e. not willing to subsidize a stronger system), while Microsoft tried to pivot to TV and motion.

Also there's that whole pandemic thing that had a ton more people suddenly interested in gaming in their homes right now.

rahkeesh2000 on

I'm so glad that we aren't dealing with that now. Mobile games are the bane of my existence.

Well, they did pretty much kill off the dedicated portable market singlehandedly.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I don't get the suggestion that they should have waited to release? Neither company is having problems selling through stock so waiting would just be delaying sales for not much benefit.

Personally the idea of needing a killer app at console launch is a bit of an anachronism nowadays. It made sense when a new console meant you had to rebuild your whole library from scratch but with the modern focus on backwards compatibility you've got more carrots to encourage people to upgrade. The performance improvements from a base Xbox One/PS4 to the new generation are more than enough for a bunch of people.

Carpy on
    I was totally cool with not having a "true next-gen killer app" for my PS5. Just having a system that plays my PS4 games with variably improved performance and without all the fan noise is enough for me right now. And when the "true" PS5 games start coming, it's nice to have the whole new console acquisition squared ahead of time.

And I'm fine continuing to play PS4 stuff while waiting a couple of years for Sony to come out with a model with more storage and a less silly design.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

Any reason Astro's Playroom and the Medium don't count here?

Oh crud, I actually totally forgot about Astro. That game is probably my favorite pack in to a new system since Super Mario World. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Microsoft didn't develop The Medium, if you count that you gotta count the Demon's Souls remake

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Microsoft didn't develop The Medium, if you count that you gotta count the Demon's Souls remake

That's a remake of an 11-year old game though.

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

Well, they did pretty much kill off the dedicated portable market singlehandedly.

Did they? The Vita's failure probably had more to do with Sony than with mobile specifically (proprietary memory, limited marketing, poor first party support). The 3DS did very well after a slow start (~76 million lifetime sales), and the Switch/Switch Lite are doing very well as far as I understand. The Switch Lite alone as of December had just about surpassed lifetime WiiU and Vita sales (13.5 million) and had only been out ~1 year.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    edited April 2021

Did they? The Vita's failure probably had more to do with Sony than with mobile specifically (proprietary memory, limited marketing, poor first party support). The 3DS did very well after a slow start (~76 million lifetime sales), and the Switch/Switch Lite are doing very well as far as I understand. The Switch Lite alone as of December had just about surpassed lifetime WiiU and Vita sales (13.5 million) and had only been out ~1 year.

I mean, that's really the only reason I can think of for the hardware sales of 3DS + Vita being less than half of the hardware sales for DS + Vita. And Switch isn't a dedicated portable. :P (It's a wacky hybrid that managed to get people excited enough to respark interest in something that has the capability of being portable.)

I guess I'll say the controversial thing -- I really didn't think Sony screwed up that badly with Vita. Granted, their first party games weren't the greatest, but games will only get you so far. The 3DS was loaded with great games, and it sold half as much as the DS. I remember seeing marketing for Vita all over the place, at least until it became apparent the system was a bomb. Proprietary memory I'll grant you, but that's tied into the Vita's biggest problem -- there just plain wasn't an audience for a $250 portable, even with its advanced horsepower. The 3DS learned that the hard way the first few months of its life. (Though Nintendo quickly reversed that with a hefty price cut and sales returned to DS levels for a time until they dropped off a cliff.) And Sony was selling for a loss even at that price. The only way they could have gone cheaper is if they made the Vita less powerful, but then that would have eliminated the main selling point among enthusiasts. And all that was before smartphones ate the sector's lunch. Ah well. It was a great system that just didn't have a chance at mass appeal.

cloudeagle on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    I don't get the suggestion that they should have waited to release? Neither company is having problems selling through stock so waiting would just be delaying sales for not much benefit.

Personally the idea of needing a killer app at console launch is a bit of an anachronism nowadays. It made sense when a new console meant you had to rebuild your whole library from scratch but with the modern focus on backwards compatibility you've got more carrots to encourage people to upgrade. The performance improvements from a base Xbox One/PS4 to the new generation are more than enough for a bunch of people.

Plus I mean that's just how PC gaming has always worked.

You get some new parts and now you get to run everything that you could have played anyway just at higher settings. And then as time goes on you start moving into stuff that wouldn't run on your old hardware. Rinse and repeat.

I'm not even saying a killer app. I own a PS5 and all I'm playing are old PS4 games that I've played before lol. It's just really strange to be here like 6 months or so after release without anything new to play.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021

I'm not even saying a killer app. I own a PS5 and all I'm playing are old PS4 games that I've played before lol. It's just really strange to be here like 6 months or so after release without anything new to play.

I mean that seems more like just the games you are looking for then?

I have had a more constant stream of new games to play this year than any year I can remember. And more keep getting added on. So far I haven't had a break since last year and already have new releases set up to keep me going all the way into Sept. And by E3 we should be seeing all of the Fall releases announced as that is usually a huge time for games. This year is looking to be a banger and half. I legit cannot recall the last time I never had a single gap of new games to play for a whole year.

But I mean literally any year if you just don't happen to be into the new releases is going to seem lacking. That doesn't mean they aren't happening.

DemonStacey on
    edited April 2021

I have had a more constant stream of new games to play this year than any year I can remember. And more keep getting added on. So far I haven't had a break since last year and already have new releases set up to keep me going all the way into Sept. And by E3 we should be seeing all of the Fall releases announced as that is usually a huge time for games. This year is looking to be a banger and half. I legit cannot recall the last time I never had a single gap of new games to play for a whole year.

But I mean literally any year if you just don't happen to be into the new releases is going to seem lacking. That doesn't mean they aren't happening.

This year there has been more newly released games for you PS5/XSX than any other year? I'm honestly shocked to hear that. I literally check out every storefront every week for something new and it's all just the same games I played a year or so ago just with better optimizations. Which is fine... That's what I'm playing. Fuck I just recently played Dead Rising 1 again on my PS5. Working on Dead Rising 2.

edit: To be clear I'm not saying you're wrong lol

urahonky on
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    For me, I've been playing all games that are new to me, but they wouldn't be new to people who keep up with new releases. My backlog is so vast, I'd need another 2-3 years like this before I felt like I really needed a bunch of new content though.

For me, I've been playing all games that are new to me, but they wouldn't be new to people who keep up with new releases. My backlog is so vast, I'd need another 2-3 years like this before I felt like I really needed a bunch of new content though.

This is kind of my problem... Except my interests are very narrow in games. I own a TON of games and have played them to the end already. I love the quick loading and everything on the replays but I'm low on "new to me" games that I used to have in previous generations. I hope I'm being clear... I've been stuck at work dealing with some insane shit that my brain feels fried and I feel like I'm not explaining myself well enough.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

This is kind of my problem... Except my interests are very narrow in games. I own a TON of games and have played them to the end already. I love the quick loading and everything on the replays but I'm low on "new to me" games that I used to have in previous generations. I hope I'm being clear... I've been stuck at work dealing with some insane shit that my brain feels fried and I feel like I'm not explaining myself well enough.

I totally get what you mean, I think it's just the vast difference in personal experiences. Some people are wanting to play new announced next gen games like Halo Infinite, Horizon 2, Ratchet & Clank, etc and none of those have turned up. So from their perspective, the gen is a bust so far and other people being excited is like "For... what??"

From my perspective, I'm playing 1 to 2 year old games that would have run like shit on my near launch XB1, but run basically at PC settings on my Series X. Control, Jedi Fallen Order, Star Wars Squadrons, Ori 2, etc. For me, I'm just drifting from great game to great game, only really held back by work taking up the vast majority of my time. The previous group has a mystifying amount of free time from my perspective, when did they beat all this stuff?

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Has any more info popped up today about that leaked PS+ Video Pass thing from this morning?

Supposedly it starts tomorrow if the leak is to be believed.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Drez wrote: »
    I don’t understand why they would need to release a “gameplay demo” of Resident Evil Village. The gameplay of every single Resident Evil game is literally exactly the same:

1. Download/install game
    2. Play for five minutes
    3. Piss my pants out of fear
    4. Delete

Why do I need a demo of that?

You really need to experiencing the pissing your pants sensation on the DualSense, man, it'll blow your mind.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I don’t understand why they would need to release a “gameplay demo” of Resident Evil Village. The gameplay of every single Resident Evil game is literally exactly the same:

1. Download/install game
    2. Play for five minutes
    4. Delete

You really need to experiencing the pissing your pants sensation on the DualSense, man, it'll blow your mind.

Will the haptic feedback enhance the fear boner Alcina Dimitrescu causes?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

1. Download/install game
    2. Play for five minutes
    4. Delete

Well duh.

(I'm assuming that you use the controller in the recommended fashion, i.e. strapped to your junk.)

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

1. Download/install game
    2. Play for five minutes
    4. Delete

Well duh.

(I'm assuming that you use the controller in the recommended fashion, i.e. strapped to your junk.)

That's where I keep my Rez Trance Vibrator though.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular

Returnal is sounding like it's going to be a good example of that. I'm not interested enough to pre-order, but I'm keeping an eye on it.
    That's where I keep my Rez Trance Vibrator though.
    Oh shit I want a Rez remake that's designed to use all the haptic feedback in the Dual Sense.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    Yeah Returnal sounds pretty cool. It's on my radar. I hope it's fun to play because the concept is cool.

I'm curious just how much of a roguelike Returnal actually is. I have really disliked the roguelike trend that has been sweeping the indie scene lately. I always thought that making players replay sections of a game over and over again was a crutch that the medium had outgrown (those NES games would have been way shorter without limiting lives/continues), but now it's been brought back as a feature.

I've heard that after you finish a biome, you don't have to replay it. So the real question is how long these biomes are if they are effectively checkpoints.

I hate Roguelike games that don't have any permanent unlocks beyond different weapon types. If I get to unlock more health or attack damage then I'm almost always all in on the game. But something like the Binding of Isaac just wasn't fun for me.

edited April 2021

This year there has been more newly released games for you PS5/XSX than any other year? I'm honestly shocked to hear that. I literally check out every storefront every week for something new and it's all just the same games I played a year or so ago just with better optimizations. Which is fine... That's what I'm playing. Fuck I just recently played Dead Rising 1 again on my PS5. Working on Dead Rising 2.

edit: To be clear I'm not saying you're wrong lol

Cross-gen and new PS4 games(which are still benefiting from PS5 as we were talking about above).

Since PS5 launch for me it's been:

Miles to start it off
    Yakuza 7 and AC Valhalla for Nov(mostly Yakuza because there are only so many hours)
    Cyberpunk for Dec(would not have flown on PS4 given the crashes and performance there)
    January was actually playing Valhalla
    Ys 9 in february
    P5 Strikers end of feb into March(Finished March with BD2 but that's Switch)
    Outriders For this Month

With Returnal at the end of the Month into RE8 into Biomutant into Ratchet into even more through the summer straight into the fall,

So yea this year has been crazy so far and the back half looks AMAZING.

Compared to Switch I'm getting way more new games on PS5. And that's even not including the regular PS4 games. Heck I'll have gotten more new PS5 games this year than I have Switch games total. That seems pretty good.

Edit:Also this list just made me realize that this year has been a really great year for good weeb games.

Ys, P5S, NMH3, Scarlet Nexus, TWEWY and Tales of Arise All in the same year? Jeez.

DemonStacey on
    And yea I'm not a Rogue-lite person.

So I really need to know how Lite it really is. Gameplay looks fun but I need to know exactly what you keep after death and what you have to replay before I really commit to grabbing it.

Has that been discussed anywhere yet? I know some new previews came out today but they are all in video form and I'm not listening to a 15 minute video hoping for an answer to one specific question.