As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to get into video editing

PeasPeas Registered User regular
I thought it would be a nice skill to have for presenting all sorts of stuff but I don't really know where to start
Is there a free software equivalent to like Blender for 3d?

• Options
    DaVinci Resolve will probably do the trick. It's free for the regular version, works pretty well for what little things I've used it for. (Don't worry about the paid "Studio" version, which would probably be overkill for most non-actual-movie-studio uses.)

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    If you want to spend some money, I like recommending Adobe Premiere Elements. It's like $70, less if you catch a sale on an older version.

Pretty much everything you'd need to make a full length movie or short clips. 70 is pretty far from free for sure sure but it's probably best bang for buck.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Vegas Pro is also a decent piece of software, and it is now on Steam. I see version 14 is currently on sale for 72% off, though the most current version is 18 which is considerably more expensive.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Adobe Premiere Pro for general editing and Adobe After Effects for special effects are my recs. You can get a license for both monthly and there are so many guides on the internet that you can be editing decent content within a few hours. Neither are free, but if you are planning on working at scale or for clients its usually the best bet in my experience. I do editing for presentations, marketing, and personal projects and most clients want their end products to be reusable in Adobe suites so they can edit them later on for additional use or have plugins or graphics from After Effects in mind before the projects begin.

If you are looking to reverse engineer graphic design stuff, or want to plug stuff into pre-rendered things, sites like Envato Elements allow you to subscribe for an annual fee for unlimited licensing or purchase one-time licenses for pretty cheap.

Enc on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    Vegas Pro is also a decent piece of software, and it is now on Steam. I see version 14 is currently on sale for 72% off, though the most current version is 18 which is considerably more expensive.
    Would you recommend Vegas Pro instead of Vegas Movie Studio to a beginner? (Not a rhetorical question - I only know Movie Studio, and for a beginner I get the impression it is plenty okay.)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Would you recommend Vegas Pro instead of Vegas Movie Studio to a beginner? (Not a rhetorical question - I only know Movie Studio, and for a beginner I get the impression it is plenty okay.)

I've only worked with Vegas Pro and only as a hobbyist years ago so can't give you an answer on that one, sorry.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    If you're like me and want to start simple, I use an app on my phone called VideoShow. It's pretty basic but allows for multiple clip editing, multitrack music layering, and exports in 1080p (no 4k). I use it for my youtube channel because at the moment I don't have a computer. I'm sure the above computer applications are more in depth and probably easier to use once you get the hang of them, but for what I use it fo it does the trick and allows me to quickly whip together videos on my phone.

My only experience editing video on computers was back in the day with Windows Movie Maker.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular

Humble bundle has Vegas Pro 16 in a bundle right now (along with a few other things) for $30. Not the very latest but still might be worth a look.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Yeah that bundle is a steal and worth every penny, vegas pro is like hundreds of dollars I think, usually

I don't even have a computer yet but I snagged it

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah that bundle is a steal and worth every penny, vegas pro is like hundreds of dollars I think, usually

I don't even have a computer yet but I snagged it

Just FYI @Local H Jay:
    Note: Keys must be redeemed before July 29th, 2021.